A caretaker manager

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He wouldn't go as a caretaker, surely. He even refused the job at Barça because it was offered to him mid-season (and he is the first candidate after Koeman inevitably gets sacked).
Oh yes, I wasn't entirely serious. Although I hear great things about what's he's doing in Qatar. For sure he's the next Barca manager.

ti vu

Ragnick would be the perfect choice.

He wants to work in England especially at Old Trafford according to a Sport Bild report a couple of weeks ago.
I agree that Ragnick would be a good fit. He is closest to the traditional manager role, as he has the know how of both coaching and DoF position. He maybe the interim manager for now with plan to move him upstair, until himself settled and after building the foundation and identify the right head coach to take over. 2 birds with one stone. He himself seems to be available for an interesting offer, as seen with the last minute collapse move to Milan.

I am not sure the people in the power at this club would agree to this though. They want the jobs for their yes men old boys and their money men.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

This squad needs a big name to manage the big names in the squad and get them to buy into his ideas - it’s a shame but that’s modern football.

For that reason a caretaker/ten Haag plan is not the way to go for me.

RedComet91

Finding the right caretaker is almost as important as finding a permanent manager. Also, with two excellent candidates in Conte and Zidane available, it makes sense to just fill the actual role now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he wants a caretaker role, that would honestly be the best option.
If I'm not mistaken, he was up for temporarily steadying the ship post Jose too. We just opted for Ole.

julianfr

Ronaldo to replace Ole with immediate effect as a player/manager until the end of the season.

I think he has what it takes. He's played at the top level for top teams under top managers across different leagues for a long time. He has the winning mentality and desire required to keep us competitive till the end of the season.

croadyman

Would only want a caretaker provided we had someone in place to take over at end of the season

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Keano & Gattuso as his assistant... and please put streaming cameras in the dressing room.

redrobed

I would give it Bielsa or at least bring in Bielsa as number 2 if we’re going to stuck with Ole until the end of the season. The man has an absolute wealth of experience.

Teja

Keano & Gattuso as his assistant... and please put streaming cameras in the dressing room.
Do we have Netflix or Prime making a show? Or were Spurs the only ones that made a deal with the devil?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Solskjaer is the caretaker. Im afraid the board will just give the new one a longer contract after he secures 4th place.

Irwin99

Wenger or Hiddink would be nice temporary stop gaps ...actually what is Guus up to these days? Hope he's well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sir Alex Ferguson is the only caretaker manager I'd be interested in

slavishduke

Do we have Netflix or Prime making a show? Or were Spurs the only ones that made a deal with the devil?
Man City actually did it first, then Tottenham. I think Arsenal are doing it right now.

Ixion

I'd like to see Keane for a short time just to hear his comments on the team's performances.

::sonny::

Big Sam
Tony Pulis
Alan Pardew
Steve Bruce
Scotty Parker
Garry Monk
Neil Warnok
Chris Hughton
Ralf Ragnick
Mircea Lucescu
Ernesto Valverde
Lucien Favre
Andre Villaboas
Quique Sanchez Flores
Rudi Garcia
Eddie Howe
Paulo Fonseca

^^^
The most interesting:

Ernesto Valverde
Lucien Favre
Rudi Garcia

I go for Valverde

Last edited:

Lee565

Why don't we do what Chelsea do and sign a manager mid season on a two year contract to tempt them to join by thinking they are signing to become a permanent manager but if they fail at the end of the season get rid of them and would then only have to pay out for just over 1 year of their remaining contract.

redsunited

Last time when this happened, the board appointed a trainee interim manager, got carried away and extended the contract before the season ended only to fall flat in last few matches and fail the season. Should try getting the right manager even if it means spending the compensation amount. Go for interim manager only if a deal for the right manager is in pipeline to start next season.

ti vu

Why don't we do what Chelsea do and sign a manager mid season on a two year contract to tempt them to join by thinking they are signing to become a permanent manager but if they fail at the end of the season get rid of them and would then only have to pay out for just over 1 year of their remaining contract.
My guess is because someone at clubs have been stupid with our contract situation for both coaching staffs and players; it would outright seen as abnormal. The new manager would be well aware of this lack of commitment offer.

Chelsea is known well known for their cut throat approach and their use you to use me relationship with managers, players. There is no less questioning regarding self worth as they don't previous give long contract as statement. Tuchel's initial 18 month contract doesn't have the same meaning as if Chelsea rate him lower than AvB, Scolari, Mourinho, Conte, Sarri, Lampard... like us after giving Moyes 6 years contract.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Keane would be similarly old school and tacticless, but also fall out with literally everyone. feck it, lets see just how low we can go. Embrace the chaos!

Spoony

The People's President
Keane would be similarly old school and tacticless, but also fall out with literally everyone. feck it, lets see just how low we can go. Embrace the chaos!

Man I'd love that. Imagine him after a loss. He'd fly kick his old stool tactic board into the players. Post match interviews would be fun too. As a United fan that'd do it for me for the rest of the season.

Give it to Keano - you know you want.

Red_toad

I'd hope we get a replacement lined up instantly, not giving it to an ex player until the end of the season again. Ole gave the team a huge bounce when he first came in and we performed very very well. Give it to Carrick or Phelan for a game or 2.

izec

Blanc or Rangnick for me. Give them until the summer and evaluate then. Dont fecking give them a new 3 year contract after 2 months.

Rangnick could be someone we could keep as DOF as well after steadying the ship, and then bring in Ten Hag as manager.

The White Pele

Ronaldo to replace Ole with immediate effect as a player/manager until the end of the season.

I think he has what it takes. He's played at the top level for top teams under top managers across different leagues for a long time. He has the winning mentality and desire required to keep us competitive till the end of the season.
If that’s all it takes to be a top manager then why wouldn’t we get in one of the many retired top players with managerial experience as caretaker, rather than burden Ronaldo with it.

This has been mentioned a few times since Ronaldo came back that he’s come back to ultimately become manager but I have no idea where it has come from. Does he even want to be a manager?

The White Pele

Wenger or Hiddink would be nice temporary stop gaps ...actually what is Guus up to these days? Hope he's well.
He’s retired after unsuccessful spells at China under 21s and Curaçao national team. Not really an option unfortunately.