A new golden generation for England?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
DCL and Holgate are still only 23.

DCL offers something none of the other strikers do and is basically like when we took Andy Carroll to the 2012 Euros but he’s better than him.

Holgate has improved massively aswell under Ancelotti. Quickly became one of the first names on the team sheet.

Utdstar01

Ben Godrey has looked really good at times in a terrible Norwich side.

Kalvin Phillips could step it up, lets see how he plays in the PL.

Mengi looks like he's going to be great.

In Rainbows

And James Garner to Captain the side from midfield, with Dean Henderson in Goal.
You're jumping the gun with Garner. From a youth level perspective, yes Garner and Doyle are the best youth midfielders England has (apart from Bellingham). However, they haven't proven it at first team level yet. Not even in a small capacity like CHO last season.
Just rewatching the Man City Liverpool game, it's the first time I've really watched Foden closely, but he does look good. It got me thinking that actually there's a wealth of young talent coming through for England at the moment.

Forwards

Mason Greenwood age 18
Jadon Sancho age 20
Marcus Rashford age 22
Rhian Brewster age 20
Reiss Nelson age 20

Midfielders

Callum Hodson Odoi age 19
Mason Mount age 21
Declan Rice age 21
Jesse Lingard
Phil Foden age 20
Jude Bellingham age 17

Defenders

Trent Alexander Arnold age 21
Bukayo Saka age 18
Max Aarons age 20
Reece James age 20
AWB age 22
Fikayo Tomori age 22

That's all I can think of off the top if my head (had to google the ages though!) but that's a very impressive list and there's bound to be ones that I have missed.

Looks overloaded with full backs and lacking on CBs, but all the same good times ahead for England?
Don't think you can put Nelson up with the rest of them. He had a small period where he did well, but it's not like he was some can't miss talent prior to that. And he hasn't built on that so he shouldn't be there. Abraham is more worthy.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Henderson
Trent Gomez Maguire Chilwell
Henderson Rice
Sancho Foden Sterling
Kane​

with Rashford, Greenwood, Grealish, Maddison etc to do damage off the bench.

Or if we want to be more attacking put in Grealish for Rice or Henderson & go 4-3-3.

We could also look at moving Trent to the wing with James & AWB coming through

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ben Godrey has looked really good at times in a terrible Norwich side.

Kalvin Phillips could step it up, lets see how he plays in the PL.

Mengi looks like he's going to be great.
I've wanted to ask people about Ben Godfrey. Do you know much about him?

Out of the current younger England CB's it looks like Gomez, Tomori, Ben godfrey

I've heard about -
Fry & White (Middlesbrough & Brighton/Leeds players maybe see them develop more next year)

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Fry & White (Middlesbrough & Brighton/Leeds players maybe see them develop more next year)
If Ben White carries on developing the way he has been I think he'll be a top centre back for years to come. He has excelled at Leeds this season, calm, good decision making, tackles like a seasoned pro and is excellent with the ball at his feet. I can not rate him highly enough.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
There’s just not enough quality coming through in the defensive and midfield areas. It’s like we went completely the other way from the noughties and we’ve ended up producing a generation of outstanding (possibly) attacking players.

Henderson is 30 now and whilst his fitness will likely allow him to play many more years, you wouldn’t imagine he’d be a mainstay in more than one more tournament possibly two with Qatar in 2022.

There are decent players in that position but is there anyone outstanding? The defence is probably lacking a CB and a GK but the central midfield position has an even bigger dearth of quality.

Bebestation

If Ben White carries on developing the way he has been I think he'll be a top centre back for years to come. He has excelled at Leeds this season, calm, good decision making, tackles like a seasoned pro and is excellent with the ball at his feet. I can not rate him highly enough.
From the little I've seen of him he seems very brave and is really able to beat the press with his dribbles whilst also making a good pass out from the back.

Is there any decisions about him coming back to you guys next season or staying at Leeds if they promote?

In Rainbows

There’s just not enough quality coming through in the defensive and midfield areas. It’s like we went completely the other way from the noughties and we’ve ended up producing a generation of outstanding (possibly) attacking players.

Henderson is 30 now and whilst his fitness will likely allow him to play many more years, you wouldn’t imagine he’d be a mainstay in more than one more tournament possibly two with Qatar in 2022.

There are decent players in that position but is there anyone outstanding? The defence is probably lacking a CB and a GK but the central midfield position has an even bigger dearth of quality.
I just kind of told another poster that Garner's name being thrown in was a little too early. However, England does have midfield talent coming through. They just haven't made it yet as they are young. Be on the lookout for one of Garner, Doyle, and Bellingham to maybe make it. I don't think Skipp has all that high a ceiling compared to those others I just listed. I would have also named Curtis Jones, but I feel like it's redundant as he's more of an advanced midfielder where Foden is clearly ahead.

But yeah. England's future depends on Garner, Doyle, and Bellingham. If not them, then Declan Rice is the clear standout.

No mentions of Gomes? :angel:
Talented, but he hasn't made it yet. It wasn't that long ago he was considered in the same bracket as Foden and Sancho (probably with Sancho being #1). He needs to pick the right club and have the right manager develop him in a position where his qualities best shine. Maybe that's as an attacking midfielder, or maybe that's as the pivot (brilliant in that role for United in limited appearances).

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I just kind of told another poster that Garner's name being thrown in was a little too early. However, England does have midfield talent coming through. They just haven't made it yet as they are young. Be on the lookout for Garner, Doyle, and Bellingham. I don't think Skipp has all that high a cieling compared to those others I just listed. I would have also named Curtis Jones, but I feel like it's redundant as he's more of an advanced midfielder where Foden is clearly ahead.

But yeah. England's future depends on Garner, Doyle, and Bellingham. If not them, then Declan Rice is the clear standout.
Ideally you’d want them to peak somewhat together. The aforementioned players are no doubt talented but they probably won’t be ready any time soon and they play in positions it can take a few years to iron out mistakes and come to grips with the subtleties and nuances of the roles. When to hold when to cover, angles to close, positions to take up and an awareness/anticipation that can only come with years of experience.

Rice is a perfect example of good but national team good enough?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think people will be surprised with how good and England career Mount has.

He is already our tempo setter and the main reason we create so many chances, and his energy would be the perfect foil to whatever attack England put out. Can see him and Foden really complimenting each other the way he and Kova do at club level.

DM is a problem though, just can't see anyone suitable unless Foden can be groomed into a regista (or could Bellingham be that player?). Got a feeling Trent or James may end up there.

In Rainbows

Ideally you’d want them to peak somewhat together. The aforementioned players are no doubt talented but they probably won’t be ready any time soon and they play in positions it can take a few years to iron out mistakes and come to grips with the subtleties and nuances of the roles. When to hold when to cover, angles to close, positions to take up and an awareness/anticipation that can only come with years of experience.

Rice is a perfect example of good but national team good enough?
Ideally you would want someone that fits the profile of Garner, Doyle, or Bellingham rather than Rice. I'm just saying that if none of those 3 make it, it's pretty much going to be Rice as one of the midfield talents of England. For as talented and deep as the 2000 generation is, all the talent is in attacking areas.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

who would win if BAME England played White England in a one off charity game or something?

Grant?
Trent Gomez Mings Rose
Choudhary
Alli Oxlade
Sancho Rashford Sterling

Pickford
Williams? Stones Maguire Chilwell
Henderson Rice
Foden Maddison Grealish
Kane​

would actually be a fun close game. Would never happen because of the shitstorm it would bring though.

Bebestation

Kalvin Phillips looks great with a deep pass to be fair.

I think the more the CAM like foden/mount develop, the more they will drop back to CM anyway.

If Angel Gomes does actually leave and persue a good career- I can see him as the CAM whilst the other CAM drop back as they progress in to better passers from deeper positions.

Rice, Phillips, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Maddison, Bellingham, Alli, Gomes, Winks, Reece James or TAA (at CDM) - isnt a bad list and I'm sure there's more that are developing around the corner.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
From the little I've seen of him he seems very brave and is really able to beat the press with his dribbles whilst also making a good pass out from the back.

Is there any decisions about him coming back to you guys next season or staying at Leeds if they promote?
Alot depends on how we end the season, if we go down and Leeds go up, we'll lose him. But we're looking far safer now than we were three weeks ago.

I doubt he'll go back to Leeds on loan, but we are stacked with centre backs, with Duffy, Dunk, Burn, Webster and Matt Clarke out on loan at Derby as well as White. But we have always been planning what we'd do if we lost Dunk and possibly Duffy so alot depends on that as well.

Personally I'd like to see White break into our first team next year, I really rate him highly and if he can flourish the way he has under Bielsa, then he's got the personality and mental strength to succeed anywhere. Annoyingly i fully expect to lose him eventually to a top prem team.

Bebestation

Alot depends on how we end the season, if we go down and Leeds go up, we'll lose him. But we're looking far safer now than we were three weeks ago.

I doubt he'll go back to Leeds on loan, but we are stacked with centre backs, with Duffy, Dunk, Burn, Webster and Matt Clarke out on loan at Derby as well as White. But we have always been planning what we'd do if we lost Dunk and possibly Duffy so alot depends on that as well.

Personally I'd like to see White break into our first team next year, I really rate him highly and if he can flourish the way he has under Bielsa, then he's got the personality and mental strength to succeed anywhere. Annoyingly i fully expect to lose him eventually to a top prem team.
I've heard a lot of good things said about him and hope that he continues to develop - I really dont want him to turn in to a Leeds player though, so we might be a club in the future able to have a look at him.

Bebestation

DCL offers something none of the other strikers do and is basically like when we took Andy Carroll to the 2012 Euros but he’s better than him.

Holgate has improved massively aswell under Ancelotti. Quickly became one of the first names on the team sheet.
Ive just started reading that Mason Holgate has been linked to Pep and City - must have improved alot if any truth behind it, especially playing CB instead of RB.

SambaBoy

A lot of young talents coming through but in 2 years time, some players not even mentioned here might burst onto the scene. Likewise with some of the players mentioned here, they might just disappear. Most would of put Alli to be a mainstay in the England team when predicting the 2018 WC team, but football changes quickly and he's probably fighting to even be named in the squad now.

Players can develop through the academy quickly and take to first team water like a duck to water whilst some of the highly talented players can suffer with form and injuries. I think K Phillips will step up to the Prem and be a good shout for the World Cup in 2022 or even the Euro's next year, same with Ben White.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
GK

TAA - Gomez - Maguire - Saka

Henderson - Rice

Foden

Sancho - Kane - Sterling​

Is a fantastic international side on paper. With Rashford, Greenwood, Maddison, Grealish, Mount a pretty ridiculous set of attacking options as well.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Expect Kalvin Phillips to go to the euros next year if/when Leeds come up he'll get noticed a lot more. Probably the perfect replacement for Henderson in the current side. I'd actually expect the world Cup starting XI to be something along the lines of...

Henderson
TAA Gomez/Holgate Maguire Chilwell
Rice Phillips
Sancho Foden Rashford/Sterling
Kane/Greenwood

Greenwood is only in there given the insane rate he's developed this season.

It's also very likely the squad will be very similar to the euros next year with such a short gap between the 2 tournaments.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I've heard a lot of good things said about him and hope that he continues to develop - I really dont want him to turn in to a Leeds player though, so we might be a club in the future able to have a look at him.
You and Liverpool have both been linked, but I think we'll hang onto him for a bit yet.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He has, but it could have been luck. His record before that was nothing to brag about.
Sounds remarkably like lots of posts in the Ole threads!

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
I see that young Connor Gallagher is still quietly flying under the radar doing the business in the Championship. He's gonna take the PL by storm in the next few years.
We've also got a 17 yr old midfield dynamite called Lewis Bates. Check him out.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Henderson
(Pope)

Trent Gomez Maguire Chilwell
(AWB) (Dunk) (Keane) (Shaw)

Henderson Rice
(Winks) (Chamberlain)

Sancho Foden Sterling
(Rashford) (Maddison) (Grealish)

Kane
(Ings)​

For next years Euros. And then there’s still Greenwood & Saka who should be in the squad also! Could replace AWB with Walker if we want a similar profile or right back if TAA gets injured.

although knowing Southgate the likes of Barkley & Delph will be in haha

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
England are certainly looking good for the next few years. One thing I'll add is Bukayo Saka is no way playing defence for England, hes further forward for Arsenal.

IMO he is one of the best talents ive ever seen at 18 years of age, he will be amazing should he choose England over Nigeria.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

England are certainly looking good for the next few years. One thing I'll add is Bukayo Saka is no way playing defence for England, hes further forward for Arsenal.

IMO he is one of the best talents ive ever seen at 18 years of age, he will be amazing should he choose England over Nigeria.
Why would he choose Nigeria? He was born in England, learnt the game in England & has represented England at every other level internationally.

I think he’ll only pick Nigeria if he’s still uncapped when he’s like 24-25, similar to Zaha with Ivory Coast.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nketiah from Arsenal also.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Who impresses you more out of Holgate & Keane? Think either could break into the England side? Maguire & Gomez seem like the only nailed on places at the moment.

DCL has tough competition with Kane, Ings, Abraham and Greenwood. He has improved tremendously under Don Carlo though.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

I think he’ll be a star wherever he plays, but England are stacked for wingers.

Full-backs who offer a genuine attacking threat are so rare and valuable that I’m half hoping that’s where he ends up. He’s already our most creative player even at LB, that I think you could see him become a Marcelo-esque player if he developed in that position.

Renegade

who would win if BAME England played White England in a one off charity game or something?

Grant?
Trent Gomez Mings Rose
Choudhary
Alli Oxlade
Sancho Rashford Sterling

Pickford
Williams? Stones Maguire Chilwell
Henderson Rice
Foden Maddison Grealish
Kane​

would actually be a fun close game. Would never happen because of the shitstorm it would bring though.
Jesus Christ.

Classical Mechanic

Who impresses you more out of Holgate & Keane? Think either could break into the England side? Maguire & Gomez seem like the only nailed on places at the moment.

DCL has tough competition with Kane, Ings, Abraham and Greenwood. He has improved tremendously under Don Carlo though.
Keane already plays for England.

I agree with @SilentWitness on DCL. He allows for a plan B.