A Rashford Reminder!

hobbers

I don't care one iota if he's living his dream or not, or how much he loves the club. What I care about is whether he's good enough to be leading the line at Manchester United.

Eoin McMahon

He has the ability but he doesn’t have the intelligence. You can say he’s a young player but this is his fifth season. That makes him more senior. He hasn’t progressed in all that time and he still doesn’t know his best position. He thinks he should be a striker but cant prove it. He needs to realize he is not a striker and become a goal scoring wide player ala sterling, Mane etc. Sterling was terrible at missing opportunities. Still is. But he has listened to the manager and learnt his trade. He knows when and where to move and how to find space. He is an intelligent footballer. Rashford just keeps banging his head against a brick wall. Just see his free kicks. He thinks he’s Ronaldo or someone. Let it go already. You could say that Klopp and Guardiola are the reason why these players have progressed but Rashford has had top managers and coaches surely one of them should have given him the right advice. He's a top player but he is running out of time - he cant keep playing the Im a young player card forever.
Rashford has alot of ability and intelligence in terms of his movement is brilliant but his final ball still needs work. It's his 5th season but he' still 21 years old that makes him young with that logic a 40 year old could play his first season and that would make him more junior?
He has progressed in areas such as physically and his set pieces but the one thing that is letting him down is his finishing. He showed he could finish in his first season but he has changed something or is overthinking when shooting and with more misses it affects your confidence.

If Rashford can start taking his chances you will his confidence come back. He has 4-5 years till he should be in his prime i think its extreme to say hes running out of time this is his first season as our starting ST and I know that when it clicks for him there will no nlooking back. But ya hes running out of I suppose he only has maybe another 11-12 season left him.

Josep Dowling

The biggest problem for him is at 21 years old he is expected to behave and be one of the senior players, that's just plan wrong.

In one of his recent post match interviews he spoke of 'the youngsters coming through' and it's 'good to see the development of the youth players'. He is still a youth player.

The balance of youth in the squad has tipped too far to the point we are putting heavy expectations on players who shouldn't be in that position. Add to that the complete lack of quality (Matic, Mata, Young, I could go on) or attitude (Lingard, Pogba) in our senior players and there is ridiculous pressure put on Rashford's shoulders to perform every week.

Eoin McMahon

Where’s the reminder that he is one of our highest paid players?
In the highlights of him being our big game goalscorer and I'm sure you've heard before that the best players perform in the big games.
Funny how we sing about Diego Forlan and his 2 goals at Anfield and we slate Marcus Rashford and his 2 great goals against Liverpool at Old Trafford.
Makes you think doesn't it.

Last edited:

Scotty McT

In the highlights of him being our big game goalscorer and I'm sure you've heard before that the best players perform in the big games.
Funny how we sing about Diego Forlan and his 2 goals at Anfield and we slate Marcus Rashford and his 2 great goals against Liverpool at Old Trafford.
Makes you think doesn't it.
Says a lot that you've chosen to compare him to Forlan :lol:

Eoin McMahon

Im with you @Eoin McMahon - was arguing his case on the podcast this week

he's taking a lot stick at the moment, some of it deserved as hes not been in the best form but much of it is way OTT for a player who is still developing and even out of form has scored 3 important goals this season
Cheers Rood, ya still shocked by the amount of people that all feel that Rashford is a lost cause and he's the next scapegoat that will shoulder there blame for the way this season started.

Yes he is in a bad spell of form and is missing big chances that are costly but this is his first season as first choice striker and the responsibly to be our main goalscorer isn't easy to handle for anyone and he's 21 people are making it sound like he's 27-28 and he;s hit his peak which is just ridiculous.

I think he'll be top striker soon and what really sticks out for me with him is that big game mentality that he's shown form his PL debut, 2 goals vs Liverpool, Winners aginst City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal and I'm sure there was none of these foolish comments when he stepped up last year and smashed that pen past Gigi Buffon with the last kick of the game.

edcunited1878

He doesn't have to always score goals. You can be the man or influencer by just making the correct decisions more often than not.

He should focus on making the best decisions for the team which would improve his stock and mentality

Eoin McMahon

Says a lot that you've chosen to compare him to Forlan :lol:
Ya 2 European Golden boots- Best player, Top goalscorer and goal of the Tournament all at the 2010 World Cup, Over 100 caps and top goalscorer for Uruaguay and PL with United ya Rashford has a lot to do tbf.

romufc

The biggest problem for him is at 21 years old he is expected to behave and be one of the senior players, that's just plan wrong.

In one of his recent post match interviews he spoke of 'the youngsters coming through' and it's 'good to see the development of the youth players'. He is still a youth player.

The balance of youth in the squad has tipped too far to the point we are putting heavy expectations on players who shouldn't be in that position. Add to that the complete lack of quality (Matic, Mata, Young, I could go on) or attitude (Lingard, Pogba) in our senior players and there is ridiculous pressure put on Rashford's shoulders to perform every week.
What is the biggest concern? His age and the pressure he is under?

Mbappe is under the same amount of pressure if not more.

I would be putting pressure on anyone being paid 200k a week tbf.

jackal&hyde

Marcus Rashford is a young local lad that is living his dream of playing Man United. He's 21 years old and his career is only at the beginning. and he loves the club, love the city and us fans.
Agree with your post except for the part that i quoted. Many, many players fit that description (along the years) and that means nothing if it's not backed up with great quality and end product. Welbeck was in this position and many people were sad to see him go but it was the correct thing to do.

I'm a big fan of Rashford and i think he is an important part of the squad and will get better, he is in a bit of bad form now. But my own support for him is about what i think his qualities are and not being a local lad or supporting Man Utd.

Denis79

I like Rashford and I have refrained from being overly critical of him just because of that. It's not his fault he's being picked every game, Ole absolutely loves him, it's obvious. And our options are thin at the moment.

Here comes the but, he hasn't been very good lately, now has he? Going by half of what you said Lingard should be a regular as well? We don't have many options right now but unless he raises his game significantly he's not a regular player for a team challenging for big trophies. At our current level he suits just fine though.

I agree he's bulked up, but he's a man now not an teenager. His first-touch is good but the problem I see with him is that he thinks he's better than he actually is. Some people say he has no football intelligence, maybe they are right but I think he wants to do everything himself. I read somewhere that only the greatest players decide what to do while on the ball, while the rest of them decide just before recieving it. It's not completely true but Rashford seems to decide to take the selfish path more times than not and he simply doesn't have the skills (yet) to do it on his own.

He was so promising when he hit the stage and it's sad to see a talent regress like he has, hopefully he'll turn a corner and show his old self again.

MrBest

Can we get a poll on this thread. 1. Overrated regardless of position and should sell 2. Should only ever be a squad player regardless of position, lacks quality 3. Give time, will be a top player and has the potential to be the number 9 in a few years 4. Give time, will be a top player but has to be in a wider position

Scotty McT

Ya 2 European Golden boots- Best player, Top goalscorer and goal of the Tournament all at the 2010 World Cup, Over 100 caps and top goalscorer for Uruaguay and PL with United ya Rashford has a lot to do tbf.
But was absolutely woeful at United. The majority of young players who don't look like improving for years....don't improve. In fact, if anything he's got worse. He's still good enough to be a squad player but I doubt he's ever going to make it here as a first XI player if we want to compete for titles. Unfortunately, United having a load of crap players makes the mediocre ones like Rashford look excellent due to the juxtaposition of being in the same lineup as the likes of Lingard and Mata.

People keep talking about how good he'd look in City's team. He wouldn't be in City's team.

I can tell he puts in so much hard work on the training pitch and in the gym, but the majority of his problems are mental. He doesn't look like improving on that aspect of his game at all. I got so annoyed during preseason when he randomly shot from 35 yards on a decent break because I knew to expect more of the same for the next 10 months or more.

haram

Look at what our neanderthal fan base is doing. Ole and the board have put Martial and Rashford in this position and it makes me sick. I knew this was coming a million miles away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rashford is simply enduring the classic build em up and knock em down obsession of both the media and fans in general.

Overrated at the start, now underrated.

The truth, I dare say is that he's the sort of player that should be rotating with the star forwards, and seen as a promising player.
Unfortunately, with the supreme mess we're in, he's been ludicrously over elevated to star striker on best in country wage levels.

There's no wonder he doesn't measure up to that.

djembatheking

I`m with you , he`s a young player struggling for form in a team that is also struggling . Too much on his shoulders and with a properly functioning team around him he would be doing far better .

simplyared

I can go along with what the OP's trying to put accross. When he burst onto the scene as a 17yr old under Van Gaal he could hit the back of the net. As a young lad he was on a par with Sterling imv. However looking at the way the 2 have developed Sterling has left Rashford for dead. I reckon Rashford's development went backwards under Mourinho and he's still picking up the pieces after that.

Eoin McMahon

But was absolutely woeful at United. The majority of young players who don't look like improving....don't improve. In fact, if anything he's got worse. He's still good enough to be a squad player but I doubt he's ever going to make it here as a first XI player if we want to compete for titles. Unfortunately, United having a load of crap players makes the mediocre ones (Rashford) look excellent due to the juxtaposition of being in the same lineup as the likes of Lingard and Mata.

People keep talking about how good he'd look in City's team. He wouldn't be in City's team.

I can tell he puts in so much hard work on the training pitch and in the gym, but the majority of his problems are mental. He doesn't look like improving on that aspect of his game at all. I got so annoyed during preseason when he randomly shot from 35 yards on a decent break because I knew to expect more of the same for the next 10 months or more.
True I remember him being made fun of alot and wrote off by fans after a couple of months you probably only remember his time at United.
Forlan was 23 years old when he signed for us and was sold after two years to Spain where he became of the best strikers in the world.

You thought it was funny I compared Rashford to Forlan but its actually a good comparison and your writing off Rashford at only 21 years and saying wont improve. Forlan was wrote off the fans after a month at the club and was sold at the age of 25 four years older than Rashford and he improved and put the hard work in to show people like yourself and others on this thread, on the forum that writing off someone and especially young players just because they haven't become the next Messi or Ronaldo by the age of 23 is foolish and those people are usually the first to come back and say you knew he'd make it.

romufc

The truth, I dare say is that he's the sort of player that should be rotating with the star forwards, and seen as a promising player.
Unfortunately, with the supreme mess we're in, he's been ludicrously over elevated to star striker on best in country wage levels.
This is fans being fickle... if he had a start striker and was playing well, the caf would be all up in arms.. He needs to start!

Look at Gomes, Greenwood.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is fans being fickle... if he had a start striker and was playing well, the caf would be all up in arms.. He needs to start!

Look at Gomes, Greenwood.
All that talk of how Lukaku was "blocking" his way, has very quickly reduced though.
And Ole has pulled a bit of a clever move basically shifting him off central striker in favour of Martial, with just a "oh they can interchange" sheepish disclaimer!

ROFLUTION

He gets way too much stick.

He's a bad finisher, but has all other things in his locker you could wish for at age 21. Where was Salah or Mane at this age?

Probably best suited on the wing or as a 2nd forward, but he has big potential and works hard

KennyBurner

Look at what our neanderthal fan base is doing. Ole and the board have put Martial and Rashford in this position and it makes me sick. I knew this was coming a million miles away.
Why must you always find a way to include Martial with rashford? Martial is perfectly fine and will continue making progress once he returns back from injury. The problem is not with martial but with Rashford. I also dont see how Ole is to blame for his poor performances in general. ole should be blamed for sqaud selection and tactics but not for individual errors

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Has anyone mentioned that he's 21? Reckon he'd do better with 'He's 21 FFS!' on the back of his shirt instead of 'Rashford #10'.

I still have hope for him though and reckon a top manager could get a lot out of him. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that person is not Ole though.

Management of him has been so poor in general. But I really hope he can become the player we all hoped he would when he first arrived, though it's a struggle to be optimistic about that right now.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He gets way too much stick.

He's a bad finisher, but has all other things in his locker you could wish for at age 21. Where was Salah or Mane at this age?

Probably best suited on the wing or as a 2nd forward, but he has big potential and works hard
Yeah. I think that’s a big part of the problem for our youngsters - the fact that the team isn’t doing well, the entire squad has come under fire.

You talk about Salah and Mane. They weren’t as known or rated as Rashford at 21 - conversely they also weren’t earning £200k a week & starting for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It goes both ways tbf.

I’m not arguing against your point at all. He’s young and needs patience/time to develop. But it’s the exact state that the club is in that no one is afforded time to develop anymore.

SAF was a genius and could take a chance on youngsters because he had world class players/teams/leaders they could learn from & that would ensure we continued to get results. We don’t have that luxury and that’s putting a lot of pressure on everyone, Rashford included.

RedCurry

He's been forced to mature too soon. Under normal circumstances he would either be making cameo appearances for our full team or just coming back from loan in a year or two. Instead he is leading the line for Man Utd which is a bit unreal. The expectations at United are almost impossible for a young player to shoulder and we might have done permanent damage to a massively talented young player. I fear we will do the same with Greenwood.

haram

Why must you always find a way to include Martial with rashford? Martial is perfectly fine and will continue making progress once he returns back from injury. The problem is not with martial but with Rashford. I also dont see how Ole is to blame for his poor performances in general. ole should be blamed for sqaud selection and tactics but not for individual errors
When Rashford is out injured the burden then carries over to Martial. He then also runs the risk of getting injured the same way Rashford did. There is no proof either can carry the burden for a whole season and I refuse to blame them. It is all Ole and the boards fault.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Also, seeing as this is the 'positive thread', would like to add that his last two freekicks were pretty good. One narrowly missed and the other was a scorcher that hit the bar.

If he tries to knuckleball one again though I'm gonna headbutt a wall.

Sylar

I reckon he would look fantastic under Pep with the way they set up. I think it would be coached into him to get into more dangerous areas when hes off the ball to be able to score. Especially the across the first man run for the pull back (which we as a club dont do enough off). His press is good but the problem is he normally doesnt have anybody else do it which is a shame. Thus he looks idiotic doing it on his own.

I do think shunning him out wide after his debut season was a mistake. We did the same to martial as well. And it wasnt wide as a full on front three, but more as a winger which hes not.

Also, seeing as this is the 'positive thread', would like to add that his last two freekicks were pretty good. One narrowly missed and the other was a scorcher that hit the bar.

If he tries to knuckleball one again though I'm gonna headbutt a wall.

Yeah, him copying beckham instead of ronaldo seems to work better.

Eoin McMahon

I reckon he would look fantastic under Pep with the way they set up. I think it would be coached into him to get into more dangerous areas when hes off the ball to be able to score. Especially the across the first man run for the pull back (which we as a club dont do enough off). His press is good but the problem is he normally doesnt have anybody else do it which is a shame. Thus he looks idiotic doing it on his own.

I do think shunning him out wide after his debut season was a mistake. We did the same to martial as well. And it wasnt wide as a full on front three, but more as a winger which hes not.

Yeah, him copying beckham instead of ronaldo seems to work better.
Pep can make nearly everyone look fantastic he would probably do for Rashford what he did with Sterling in taking his pace and dribbling abilty and giving him a football brain and technique.
It's not exactly a good environment for our players as theirs a lack of experience in the dressing room. I would love to see Poch as manager as one of the reasons is his development of young players was superb at Spurs.
Yes young players do suffer from their versatilty I'll always remember Phil Jones when he was signed first and was 18 he played everywhere fpr us and was solid and was called the future England captain by Fergie but that moving around really stunted his development aswell.

ROFLUTION

Yeah. I think that’s a big part of the problem for our youngsters - the fact that the team isn’t doing well, the entire squad has come under fire.

You talk about Salah and Mane. They weren’t as known or rated as Rashford at 21 - conversely they also weren’t earning £200k a week & starting for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It goes both ways tbf.

I’m not arguing against your point at all. He’s young and needs patience/time to develop. But it’s the exact state that the club is in that no one is afforded time to develop anymore.

SAF was a genius and could take a chance on youngsters because he had world class players/teams/leaders they could learn from & that would ensure we continued to get results. We don’t have that luxury and that’s putting a lot of pressure on everyone, Rashford included.
I know what you mean, but a player can only develop at a certain speed regardless if he earns 200k or 50k a week at Soton. A Lot of fans dont seems to get that. You can't expect a player to be at level x because of wage y.

On top of that, our wages at United will always be a bit bigger because we have huge income and size and need to hold on to the future key players.

acnumber9

You can say he’s a young player but this is his fifth season.
He’s been in the squad for little over three and a half years. While technically it is his fifth season it’s deliberately inflating his time to portray him in a worse light.

dogwithabone

I think he’s been one of our best players since his debut and the expectations from him (which are partly justified due to his mental contract) are a bit unfair, he isn’t a Rooney/Mbappe level talent, never was, but he’s going to be a very good player for us.
Never will be a Rooney (the peak Rooney not the crap one we had for a long time) or an Mbappe.

I’ve said all along I don’t think Rashford is the real deal and I continue to stand by that.