A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Mainoldo

This for me too.
He is somewhere above Ole, but below than the top managers. I think we will see some highs before beginning to go into a downward spiral again.
I maybe totally wrong, but lets see.
If he comes in he’s Top4 arguably 3 in the league. Which compared to what we have now is a massive improvement.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I seriously disagree with some of the underrating. Nobody expected Poch to challenge for a title and reach top 4 year in year out, or even reach a CL final.

The guy did very well with them and I rate him highly. I like Ole but wouldn't mind Poch at all, think he'd do very well with Utd.

monosierra

I seriously disagree with some of the underrating. Nobody expected Poch to challenge for a title and reach top 4 year in year out, or even reach a CL final.

The guy did very well with them and I rate him highly. I like Ole but wouldn't mind Poch at all, think he'd do very well with Utd.
How was Poch's coaching and drilling? I seem to recall his teams playing with pretty good discipline and organization, albeit not as strict as Klopp's or Pep's teams.

Mr PG

Looking at Poch is lack of ambition. Not worth sacking Ole for slight improvement. If we sack Ole, it has to be for Thomas Tuchel or Nagelsman.

Flytan

Looking at Poch is lack of ambition. Not worth sacking Ole for slight improvement. If we sack Ole, it has to be for Thomas Tuchel or Nagelsman.
I mean I agree that Poch isn't the best candidate around but you're kidding if you don't think strategically and team building wise he isn't like 300000000% better than Ole.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
They need a bloody DOF making the call next time they hire a manager.

If we actually just go, sack Ole and hire Poch, it just screams lazy and uninspiring. So no doubt that'll be exactly what the board does... :houllier:

Chief123

It’s actually incredible how little some think of Poch on here.

During Poch’s reign spurs had a fantastic high intensity, full of energy football. He got them top 4 in 4 out of 5 seasons. Even taking them close to the title on a couple of occasions. I used to actually enjoy watching spurs play as they were always really impressive especially in the big games.

I think he would be a huge improvement on Ole. He may experience the same lack of backing as Ole has but his coaching ability is clear to see.

kode

Tuchel isnt all that , thise who watch psg regularly will tell you that. Psg relies solely on brillance from the neymar mbappe or di maria. Nagelsman looks exciting though well from
My limited matches i saw ...

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

During Poch’s reign spurs had a fantastic high intensity, full of energy football. He got them top 4 in 4 out of 5 seasons. Even taking them close to the title on a couple of occasions. I used to actually enjoy watching spurs play as they were always really impressive especially in the big games.

I think he would be a huge improvement on Ole. He may experience the same lack of backing as Ole has but his coaching ability is clear to see.
Spurs generally had an abysmal record in the big games?

Mr Smith

Show me the evidence that Nagelsmann and Tuchel are clearly better than Poch.

Micky Targaryen

Agreed. When lurking through this thread, I sometimes feel like I was watching a different game to the others because I used to enjoy watching Spurs' games during the Poch era. Aside from watching United, I would catch the Spurs games too and envying their high intensity football and wishing United could attack like them too. Consistent top 4 and a CL final with that budget is nothing short of spectacular. Dumb posts mentioning how Poch is a serial bottler for the league and CL, how I wish Ole can even come close to bottling a final. :lol:

Kajus

If he comes in he’s Top4 arguably 3 in the league. Which compared to what we have now is a massive improvement.
We came third last season. Assuming the top 2 are Klopp and Pep, how is it a massive improvement to finish in the same or worse position?

Dan_F

We came third last season. Assuming the top 2 are Klopp and Pep, how is it a massive improvement to finish in the same or worse position?
Well it depends on the points total for a start. It’s widely accepted that the points total was pretty low for third last year.

He also didn’t sign a player for two transfer windows before reaching the Champions League final. Pretty good proof of his coaching ability. I’m not suggesting we go out and replace Ole, but there’s no point downplaying what Poch achieved with that team.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Show me the evidence that Nagelsmann and Tuchel are clearly better than Poch.
There is none,
Nagelsmann is the flavour of the month in here despite not really doing a huge amount.
Having said that, I'd rather take a punt on Tuchel then Poch.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs generally had an abysmal record in the big games?
Yes, it was one of the Spurs fans gripes I recall, he would go out at Anfield and press high and attack. Good to watch for the neutrals I guess, but the inevitable losses kept piling up. Tactically some games adopting a more conservative approach, maybe nick it on the counter, is the better way to play.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes, it was one of the Spurs fans gripes I recall, he would go out at Anfield and press high and attack. Good to watch for the neutrals I guess, but the inevitable losses kept piling up. Tactically some games adopting a more conservative approach, maybe nick it on the counter, is the better way to play.
Can you remember who the Spurs CBs were when he pressed high at Anfield and kept losing because i'd be interested to know, cheers.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Can you remember who the Spurs CBs were when he pressed high at Anfield and kept losing because i'd be interested to know, cheers.
No idea, Anfield was just an example, could be anywhere against a big side, The Bernabeau, Stamford Bridge. At a guess id say the CB's would have been Vertonghen and Alderweireld.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His big game record was pretty good, not so much away from home but games at WHL/Wembley under his tenure were as tough as any away game in recent times, especially in 16/17.

Pochettino's issues were his style basically revolves around forcing opposition mistakes from a high press, so when either teams were sitting deep (meaning they had to be more creative) or worked a tactical way around that press (for eg Allegri's double change at Wembley) there was no plan B.

Greck

Yes he displayed stubbornness insisting on being progressive when the situation called for pragmatism but even Spurs fans will soon learn too appreciate that over the opposite. Thing is Poch won't be the first progressive coach to have that trait, Pep continues to do so and it's costing him in the CL. Klopp in our fixtures last season kept doing something similar when it was clear we were shredding teams on the counter. It's a flaw you have to be ready to live with with these coaches. They are going to come to impose their style against every team. Poch I felt in certain instances could have recognised he had the inferior team and played pragmatic but it's not a dealbreaker for me

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ah, to be a journalist and make up stories and get paid for it, and when challenged on the origin, just say "my well informed source".
Results since restart are 4 losses from 19 games.
Guess you forgot what happened to Jose after coming 2nd...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ah, to be a journalist and make up stories and get paid for it, and when challenged on the origin, just say "my well informed source".
Results since restart are 4 losses from 19 games.
No, actually, results since the restart are 2 losses from 5 games, and 2 losses from 3 league games. We can’t keep going back to a point midway through last season. There was another restart, you know, when the season literally started again?

bsCallout

Not sure about that. We're better yes, are better....
I don't buy into that at all. I mean just look at how both their teams are performing so far this year. They are as successful as they have been for a reason. Whereas Poch, well, he hasn't actually ever won anything.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This is one of the stupidest things I see constantly repeated on here. It's unbelievably stupid.
Why is it stupid though? I think there are a couple of basic facts we all can agree on

1. The job carries immense pressure to deliver. Both from the fans, but also because the media LOVES to blow it up and write negative "scandal" pieces about us when we do badly
2. Ed and the board are incompetent and the structure at the club is outdated. There is ample evidence that we are a badly run club from the top
3. We now have 3 (soon to be 4?) managers who have raked over the coals both by the press and by the club and had their reputation take a big hit because they apparently failed to meet expectations.
4. The team and the squad are still far behind Liverpool and City so there is still a fair bit of catching up to do. This is made even more difficult by how useless the higher ups are at transfer negotiations

So its a difficult job with loads of pressure. If you fail at it you risk getting your reputation ruined. Compare this to say PSG, Bayern, Real or Barca where you almost can sleepwalk yourself to the title or a club a tier below where you will get plenty of plaudits for just getting CL football. A new manager needs bollocks, big ones, because this is not a job for the faint-hearted.

If our poor form continues into October/November Ole will probably be sacked in 2020 (and deservedly so) and i that case i would be happy to have Poch here, but i just cant bring myself to believe a simple change in coaching staff will be some kind of magic bullet

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nagelsmann has denied Real Madrid after Zidane left. What make you think he will come here?
Because he felt it was too early for a job like Real at the time, if I'm not mistaken.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't buy into that at all. I mean just look at how both their teams are performing so far this year. They are as successful as they have been for a reason. Whereas Poch, well, he hasn't actually ever won anything.
This year? They are as good as Villa?
In the past 3 years neither have achieved more than Poch. Ancelotti bombed out of Napoli and Jose United. Ancelotti failed to meet expectations at Bayern also. The jury is out who is better right now. Jose Spurs have got no where near Poch Spurs yet (at least give it time before speaking as if they were better)

Yes they have both achieved more than Poch overall career wise but have also been in management alot longer.

Not saying Poch is better but its not a given they are better right now. Time will tell.

Mainoldo

You could argue Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, Nuno, Bielsa, Ancelotti are all better than him.
You really can’t. Nuno as good as he is defensive he’s not progressive enough to be a top level manager. Ancelotti you can argue but yet we want to highlight Poch failing at Spurs in the end. This guy has failed as PSG and Bayern.

Skills

Snitch
Why is it stupid though? I think there are a couple of basic facts we all can agree on

1. The job carries immense pressure to deliver. Both from the fans, but also because the media LOVES to blow it up and write negative "scandal" pieces about us when we do badly
And you don't think the Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona and Juventus jobs have immense pressure attached to them? You can get sacked at either of those clubs for not even doing anything wrong. You can get sacked simply for the fact a rival had an incredible season. Ancelottti got sacked at Madrid because Barcelona won a treble - that was enough to get him sacked. You're constantly scrutinised at those clubs before you even take charge of your first game - there's none of the whole give managers time bullshit, because the fans aren't stupid enough to fall for it.

2. Ed and the board are incompetent and the structure at the club is outdated. There is ample evidence that we are a badly run club from the top
Yet that incompetent structure keeps managers in jobs far longer than they would be at any other club. In terms of expectations, it's a piss easy job. As long as you get top 4, you are in no danger of getting sacked. The same incompetent structure let's you hide behind the fact you haven't signed the entire squad of players, so you can't be expected to achieve anything.

3. We now have 3 (soon to be 4?) managers who have raked over the coals both by the press and by the club and had their reputation take a big hit because they apparently failed to meet expectations.
And in that time :

Real Madrid - 6 managers.
Barcelona - 5 managers.
Bayern Munich - 5 managers.
Chelsea - 5 managers.

Yet if you're afraid not having enough time to do your job, you'd be afraid of the Man Utd job. What a load of horseshit.

So its a difficult job with loads of pressure. If you fail at it you risk getting your reputation ruined. Compare this to say PSG, Bayern, Real or Barca where you almost can sleepwalk yourself to the title or a club a tier below where you will get plenty of plaudits for just getting CL football. A new manager needs bollocks, big ones, because this is not a job for the faint-hearted.
Oh yeah Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole were really on an upward career trajectory up until they got here. Like I said, our fans seem to think this is some high pressure job. It's not, you're expected to actually deliver and compete at the highest level in a high pressure. Our managers aren't expected to do it, despite spending a feckload of money.

Mourinho might have actually got himself killed somewhere like Madrid if he was allowed to treat the club with complete disdain as he was repeatedly allowed to do here in his last year in charge.

bsCallout

This year? They are as good as Villa?
In the past 3 years neither have achieved more than Poch. Ancelotti bombed out of Napoli and Jose United. Ancelotti failed to meet expectations at Bayern also. The jury is out who is better right now. Jose Spurs have got no where near Poch Spurs yet (at least give it time before speaking as if they were better)

Yes they have both achieved more than Poch overall career wise but have also been in management alot longer.

Not saying Poch is better but its not a given they are better right now. Time will tell.
Ok. We'll just go with Poch hasn't achieved ANYTHING. So I'll still side with the managers that have actually achieved in their careers for now.

ShinjiNinja26

You could argue Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, Nuno, Bielsa, Ancelotti are all better than him.
Pretty sure when Mourinho was managing us a lot of people considered Poch the next best behind Pep and Klopp and Ancelotti was a has been. How things have changed, and Nuno? What’s he done exactly to be considered better?