A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

IF he gets the Utd job then surely first thing he does is a straight swap involving Lukaku/Kane, wouldnt fix us but it would be a good start!
It may be spurs - but they aren't stupid! I would suspect there would be a 'no recruitment' clause as part of the agreement for us to get him (for probably 12 months) which in turn would obviously decrease the compensation we would pay spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I didn't say there was - instead any compensation would need to be agreed with spurs, and it's likely to be high - but it's not just a case of paying his salary to spurs.
Well it all depends on if Levy is willing to play ball, if Poch will kick up a fuss to go or if he wants to stay. The maximum you will have to pay if Levy isn't willing to play ball and Poch is determined to go is what's left on his contract.

Pughnichi

Would be so excited to see MoPo with this squad. Would expect to see Shaw develop in to the player we all thought we were buying. Would expect Pereira to be used plenty more. Would expect Greenwood, Gomes and Chong to get game time. Would expect Pogba, Martial and Rashford to be offended plenty of creative freedom. Would expect to see the high press....And I would be hopeful at long last he would rid this club of the average/ageing players like Darmian, Valencia, Young, Rojo, Jones, Matic, Fellaini

ROFLUTION

What would the price for Poch be? around 30-40m sounds alright?

Also would be nice to steal from Spurs again :D Top it with Alderweireld this summer

Eric's Seagull

Well it all depends on if Levy is willing to play ball, if Poch will kick up a fuss to go or if he wants to stay. The maximum you will have to pay if Levy isn't willing to play ball and Poch is determined to go is what's left on his contract.
Do you think that Poch is the type of guy who would kick up a fuss if he really wanted to go?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don’t think it is a clear cut as

“Spurs to United is a no brainer”

Yes he would be an absolute loon to not consider it IF United came calling

It’s Manchester United for Christ sake, he’d need sending to Broadmoor to not consider it.

But he is in an immensely fantastic position at Spurs

He’s currently manager of an already huge Club, with arguably one of the best teams in the League, and soon to be starting a new era with the Club moving into their new modern 60k+ seater stadium, the Club has gone from top 4 hopefuls to top 4 regulars, there’s only one more step now and that’s silverware.

Maybe Levvy will give him a bigger budget with any possible United interest lurking

United has its history, United is one of the worlds biggest Clubs, United can put a war chest on the table, but it’s certainly a mess, does he risk what he’s got?

Move from Spurs’s best period ever too go over and join United’s worse period ever

Not clear cut imo
This is a Man Utd forum so its not surprising that there are red tinted specs all over. There are many reasons why he might not come. I think it all boils down to one thing he will ask himself. Has he done all he can at Spurs? If the answer is yes, I think he will move.
I know he has a reputation as being a decent guy and won't want to leave Spurs on bad terms (he left Saints on pretty bad terms), but I can't see him staying at Spurs for the 4 remaining years on his contract. If he's as ambitious as people close to him say he is, I just can't
For me, we just have to wait to see how the season pans out. He'll be stupid to dismiss the opportunity entirely at this time.

Do you think that Poch is the type of guy who would kick up a fuss if he really wanted to go?
Not in public - but I assume he was under contract at Southampton when he left for spurs?

There are lots of players who play for clubs they would prefer to move on from, but you can't keep a manager who wants to leave - at that point it's just working out the money.

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
Is Allegri average for blowing a 0-2 lead away at Bayern in 15/16?
I am not a fan of Allegri. As many other fans of Juventus. Many defeats of Juventus are to be considered his fault because of his lacking of courage. Bayern is one, Juventus - UTD 1-2 another, and many other examples could be named. But Allegri defeated Pochettino first of all with the strategy he adopted against Tottenham, and Pochettino did not understand what was happening on the pitch.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not in public - but I assume he was under contract at Southampton when he left for spurs?

There are lots of players who play for clubs they would prefer to move on from, but you can't keep a manager who wants to leave - at that point it's just working out the money.
The Southampton situation was much, much different.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It's a lot easier managers to move than for players. He can just resign, but then any compensation will be determined by a tribunal if he joins another club and the two clubs can't agree a fee.
Well, I’d rather that - an independent tribunal - than running the Levy gauntlet, who would want an unreasonable amount of compensation. The maximum we would pay is the remainder of his contract.

marktan

Their transfer business in recent seasons is actually quite meh. They haven't reinforced their midfield in ages and their attack is pretty much the same apart from Moura who has been decent The important players are actually guys who have been there for 3/4+ years.
True, but that's partly down to Levy not spending due to the stadium. Their recent signings that I can remember - Moura, Aurier and Davinson Sanchez are all good players to add to a top team at good prices. Our comparable signings are Alexis, Dalot and Lindelof - I'd rather have their 3.

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
Some team have bad games and good games. In addition, some teams are lucky and unlucky. If you watch his team player consistently, you would understand how good of a manager he is. Juventus couldn’t even beat one of the poorest United team in years at home and could have easily lost top spot in the group this season. If I use your logic then Mountinho is a fantastic manager that should still be at United
Logic? Is that logic? It would have been logic, perhaps, if I had said that Allegri is a fantastic manager. Did I? But nevertheless, Allegri still be, in my opinion, much better than Pochettino, and Mourinho probably too. We will see, if UTD will sign him, but for the moment I think that Pochettino is very good at selling himself, his image, but not so good at managing a team with great ambitions.

Nadger

Supports
Spurs
It's a lot easier managers to move than for players. He can just resign, but then any compensation will be determined by a tribunal if he joins another club and the two clubs can't agree a fee.
Can he just resign? I’m not convinced. The reason managers get paid their remaining contract value when they are sacked must be that the clubs can’t just give notice to terminate the contract early, otherwise that is what they would do.

In which case, I can’t see clubs (Levy, at least) agreeing a contract where they can’t give notice but the manager can.

Guy Incognito

Sadly I'm wildly pessimistic that Pochettino will part with Spurs. Between now and the end of the season, relations would have to soured with Levy. I think Woodward/Ferguson or whoever is in contact with him and his reps would need to play a blinder. If Spurs win a cup this season I think that would make the case for him to leave even harder.

But I do think he will use the interest from Real and United to his advantage. Unlike Wenger he won't bound himself to a club because of a stadium project.

Can he just resign? I’m not convinced. The reason managers get paid their remaining contract value when they are sacked must be that the clubs can’t just give notice to terminate the contract early, otherwise that is what they would do.

In which case, I can’t see clubs (Levy, at least) agreeing a contract where they can’t give notice but the manager can.
He will be able to resign, but won't be able to join another club for the remainder of the length of time on his contract (effective gardening leave), he could resign and become a lecturer if he wants and not have to pay £35m for the pleasure. He would.of course render himself unemployable as a football manager.

Eric's Seagull

Don't know the character of the guy but would he want to lower his opinion in the fans eyes by resigning.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Why? Surely spurs needed a manager and they negotiated with a club for the release of their manager who was under contract?

If it's any different from that, you will have to let us know.
Google "pochettino cortese" - it's much simpler than anyone explaining it

Eric's Seagull

He will be able to resign, but won't be able to join another club for the remainder of the length of time on his contract (effective gardening leave), he could resign and become a lecturer if he wants and not have to pay £35m for the pleasure. He would.of course render himself unemployable as a football manager.
Didn't realise it worked like this. Don't look like he is going to resign.

Enigma_87

You know who
We have no idea about what's in his contract, it's not as simple as multiplying his salary by the time remaining on his contract. Having said that, compensation is likely to be high to ward off other teams.
Yeah, naturally, but usually it is within that range.

Still it's a lot easier for a manager to move. You can bench a player, but if the manager wants to move there is absolutely no point in keeping him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Cant he just resign?
No if he wants to manage during the length of the contract.

Of course that contract can be paid off, depends on the compensation the two clubs negotiate. If he wants to leave I doubt we will pay off the whole package.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Don't know the character of the guy but would he want to lower his opinion in the fans eyes by resigning.
There's zero chance he would resign, but there is also zero chance that we would let it reach the point where he would be considering that.

Keeping a wantaway player is hard, keeping a wantaway manager is an impossibility. You can't have a man motivating the squad and expected to run everything who isn't motivated in the job himself.

I'm pretty sure that if Poch came to Levy and said I want to leave, I've considered my options and this is the decision for me, Levy would respect that. He would expect his pound of flesh in return, but he wouldn't attempt to shackle a manager to the club. I've criticised Levy plenty, but he isn't a foolish man and is entirely aware that trying to force a manager to stay would be embarrassing and detrimental to the football club. Who wants somebody in charge who is looking elsewhere?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why? Surely spurs needed a manager and they negotiated with a club for the release of their manager who was under contract?

If it's any different from that, you will have to let us know.
Poch was brought to Southampton by their MD, Corteze I think he was called, but the owners ideas changed and their MD left and Southampton best players began to get sold off and Poch resigned. Google is your friend.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I somehow don't really understand the whole "New era" thing with moving to a new stadium. Is there something else to suggest that Spurs are going to move from top 4 to top 2 or 1?
I mean it is a big thing for a club obviously, but for a manager or the player, is it something long lasting new challenge. I mean the fanciness would start coming off after a few weeks or months.

Secondly, Spurs would need some big signings or some hidden talents reach big heights, to move on from top 4 to title challengers. Especially given that everyone including Liverpool are ready to splash the cash now. Has Spurs really got the means to fund it without selling anyone.
Last 3 seasons: 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and currently in 3rd this season so far. So really your question should ask about a "move from top 3 .."

As for question about funds, many people haven't yet twigged how much our annual income will have risen by in 18 months from now compared to 18 months ago. Back then it was £306m, rose to £381m a year later (6 months ago) and will have easily exceeded £400m in 6 months from now. And then we'll have the very significant income boost from our first full year in the new stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if it then went well past £450m.

Yes, they'll be a big debt to service, but the annual cost of this will be significantly less than the annual increase in our income. And we've been making huge profits, despite stadium construction costs, not least because our wage bill is comparatively low.

In sum, Spurs will not be so financially strapped as you seem be imagining.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think I'd like Poch at United, it would be interesting to see if he could compete for trophies at United.
I don't know if we'd get him though, or even actually try to.

Eric's Seagull

There's zero chance he would resign, but there is also zero chance that we would let it reach the point where he would be considering that.

Keeping a wantaway player is hard, keeping a wantaway manager is an impossibility. You can't have a man motivating the squad and expected to run everything who isn't motivated in the job himself.

I'm pretty sure that if Poch came to Levy and said I want to leave, I've considered my options and this is the decision for me, Levy would respect that. He would expect his pound of flesh in return, but he wouldn't attempt to shackle a manager to the club. I've criticised Levy plenty, but he isn't a foolish man and is entirely aware that trying to force a manager to stay would be embarrassing and detrimental to the football club. Who wants somebody in charge who is looking elsewhere?
Thank for that post, it didn't think the it could possible end up like that. So if the scenario happens give Levy what he wants but i'd still take Jardim first mate.

Seij

Poch is probably Levy's second most prized possession after Harry Kane. I can't see him letting Poch go when he just signed a new contract, especially to us. Poch himself also doesn't seem like the guy who would kick up fuss to force the move.