A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Enigma_87

You know who
There's zero chance he would resign, but there is also zero chance that we would let it reach the point where he would be considering that.

Keeping a wantaway player is hard, keeping a wantaway manager is an impossibility. You can't have a man motivating the squad and expected to run everything who isn't motivated in the job himself.

I'm pretty sure that if Poch came to Levy and said I want to leave, I've considered my options and this is the decision for me, Levy would respect that. He would expect his pound of flesh in return, but he wouldn't attempt to shackle a manager to the club. I've criticised Levy plenty, but he isn't a foolish man and is entirely aware that trying to force a manager to stay would be embarrassing and detrimental to the football club. Who wants somebody in charge who is looking elsewhere?
Pretty much this.

Poch doesn't really have to kick up a fuss to force a move. PL is brutally competitive, even disinterested manager would be detrimental to the club, let alone someone who wants away.

mav_9me

I for one would completely understand if Poch was not interested in coming here.

Poch was brought to Southampton by their MD, Corteze I think he was called, but the owners ideas changed and their MD left and Southampton best players began to get sold off and Poch resigned. Google is your friend.
So he grew frustrated at the transfer activiity at his club, resigned so he could move to a bigger club. Sounds like he has previous doesn't it - could be exactly what he does in the summer.

Last 3 seasons: 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and currently in 3rd this season so far. So really your question should ask about a "move from top 3 .."

As for question about funds, many people haven't yet twigged how much our annual income will have risen by in 18 months from now compared to 18 months ago. Back then it was £306m, rose to £381m a year later (6 months ago) and will have easily exceeded £400m in 6 months from now. And then we'll have the very significant income boost from our first full year in the new stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if it then went well past £450m.

Yes, they'll be a big debt to service, but the annual cost of this will be significantly less than the annual increase in our income. And we've been making huge profits, despite stadium construction costs, not least because our wage bill is comparatively low.

In sum, Spurs will not be so financially strapped as you seem be imagining.
You would have thought they would have bought some players in the summer to challenge for the title if they have all this spare cash.

Enigma_87

You know who
You would have thought they would have bought some players in the summer to challenge for the title if they have all this spare cash.
It's always like that. According to Glaston they are making a ton of money, yet their net spend in the last 4 years or so is 10-20m or thereabouts.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I didn't say we had all this spare cash. I said we will increasingly have spare cash going forward.

Moreover, we did try to sign one or two players in the summer, but one of them wasn't released (Martial) and the other (Grealish) was priced at more than we were willing to pay.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Poch is probably Levy's second most prized possession after Harry Kane. I can't see him letting Poch go when he just signed a new contract, especially to us. Poch himself also doesn't seem like the guy who would kick up fuss to force the move.
I refer to my previous post, you simply can't hold a manager at the club against his will. I'll add to that the fact that how on earth are the players meant to respect the manager when they know he doesn't even want to be there himself? If one wants to leave is he meant to say 'yeah me and all mate wait in line'.

Poch wouldn't kick up a fuss, but he wouldn't need to. If he genuinely wants to move, he will say that and Levy will agree to let him go for a fee.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's always like that. According to Glaston they are making a ton of money, yet their net spend in the last 4 years or so is 10-20m or thereabouts.
Actually, it's according to our audited accounts. And our net spend has been low because we've had a new stadium complex and new training ground to fund.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I didn't say we had all this spare cash. I said we will increasingly have spare cash going forward.

Moreover, we did try to sign one or two players in the summer, but one of them wasn't released (Martial) and the other (Grealish) was priced at more than we were willing to pay.
Says you and Levy.

Enigma_87

You know who
Actually, it's according to our audited accounts. And our net spend has been low because we've had a new stadium complex and new training ground to fund.
To stay competitive you need to double the wages on your squad players and splash at least 200k per week on key players which will diminish your profits. You simply can't keep with the top clubs if you don't spend and bring in quality players.

I don't see it happening anytime soon - spending hundreds of millions net to fight for the title.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah we'll have spare cash.

It'll all be kept in one vault, with Levy fondling it whilst whispering 'sell to buy, sell to buy' on the phone to Pochettino.

Redo91

Painfully obvious that he is the man for the job. No idea why anyone wouldn’t want him here. Main stick people seem to be beating him with is the fact that he is yet to win anything. I know this will sound very condescending but football is a TEAM game. The man is yet to have coached a top club. If he was with Barca or Real Madrid I’d say something. He has turned Spurs into a regular top 4 club. He has overachieved while spending very little and bringing through young players.

It seems fairly obvious the club want him. There are two top candidates in Zidane and Jardim available now and yet we aren’t making a permanent appointment until next season. There aren’t many other managers that will be available then.

I’d also be quiet optimistic he would join. At Spurs he has very little money to spend and that won’t change with the new stadium on the way. We could promise him huge funds and are obviously a bigger draw. He didn’t exactly deny it when it was put to him in the presser today.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
To stay competitive you need to double the wages on your squad players and splash at least 200k per week on key players which will diminish your profits. You simply can't keep with the top clubs if you don't spend and bring in quality players.

I don't see it happening anytime soon - spending hundreds of millions net to fight for the title.
That is simplistic thinking. We've managed to stay competitive with the Prem's top clubs for several seasons now without doing what you've said. Inexpensive players can be developed and improved. Academy players can rise up through the ranks. Team spirit can be improved. A defined style of play can be honed into players. Fitness levels can be improved. Round pegs can be fitted into round (rather than square) holes. And so on ...

So yes, we need now to start improving the wages of key players (and we're starting to doing that, witness Kane, Alli etc). And yes a larger net spend budget would be helpful, but this too is on the cards. But the most important things don't centre around signing mega-bucks players and paying them mega-bucks wages, as I would have thought United fans would now understand after the last several years.

Traub

This has been a whirlwind day so I haven’t been up to date. Any concrete news around this?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This has been a whirlwind day so I haven’t been up to date. Any concrete news around this?
Nothing really concrete but every journalist in the land saying he's first choice. Not exactly a hard story to run.

Traub

Nothing really concrete but every journalist in the land saying he's first choice. Not exactly a hard story to run.
Yeah, but I hope they wrong. Not that I don’t want him (I do), but I’d have thought the club would actually approach this with real thought and take their time before having a first choice.

Enigma_87

You know who
That is simplistic thinking. We've managed to stay competitive with the Prem's top clubs for several seasons now without doing what you've said. Inexpensive players can be developed and improved. Academy players can rise up through the ranks. Team spirit can be improved. A defined style of play can be honed into players. Fitness levels can be improved. Round pegs can be fitted into round (rather than square) holes. And so on ...

So yes, we need now to start improving the wages of key players (and we're starting to doing that, witness Kane, Alli etc). And yes a larger net spend budget would be helpful, but this too is on the cards. But the most important things don't centre around signing mega-bucks players and paying them mega-bucks wages, as I would have thought United fans would now understand after the last several years.
Competitive yes. Title challenger - no.

You keep saying profits, but little was spent on improving the squad and that's unlikely to change soon.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Competitive yes. Title challenger - no.

You keep saying profits, but little was spent on improving the squad and that's unlikely to change soon.
You originally talked about keeping up with the top clubs. Now you're shifting the goal-posts. Besides, over the last several seasons we've mostly been closer to being a title challenger than have United, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Enigma_87

You know who
You originally talked about keeping up with the top clubs. Now you're shifting the goal-posts. Besides, over the last several seasons we've mostly been closer to being a title challenger than have United, Liverpool or Arsenal.
Top clubs want to win the title, not finish inside the top 4.

You have been closer to a title challenger because United, Liverpool and Arsenal under performed, that doesn't mean that you will stay competitive on the basis on couple of seasons of CL qualifications.

United won the title 5 years ago, when was the last time Spurs won it?

RedRover

If United want him it’ll be interesting to see if they can get him.

Despite the shocking state of affairs as it stands - on and off the pitch, it still has to be an attractive job if moves in the right direction are made. If a quality Director of Football (or similar) is appointed, if funds are available and importantly, the new man gets assurances about time to get it right, you’d think an ambitious young manager would jump at the chance.

Poch seems like an honest bloke and to me, it’s not a no brainier for him. He’s got a good side at Spurs but you have to question whether short term, with a new stadium to pay for, he’s going to have what he needs to take them to the next level.

Conor

Last 3 seasons: 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and currently in 3rd this season so far. So really your question should ask about a "move from top 3 .."

As for question about funds, many people haven't yet twigged how much our annual income will have risen by in 18 months from now compared to 18 months ago. Back then it was £306m, rose to £381m a year later (6 months ago) and will have easily exceeded £400m in 6 months from now. And then we'll have the very significant income boost from our first full year in the new stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if it then went well past £450m.

Yes, they'll be a big debt to service, but the annual cost of this will be significantly less than the annual increase in our income. And we've been making huge profits, despite stadium construction costs, not least because our wage bill is comparatively low.

In sum, Spurs will not be so financially strapped as you seem be imagining.
Can you please explain how Spurs will manage to do the following in the next couple of years:

- Pay off stadium debt
- Keep your players without paying them what they could get at other clubs/winning anything
- Keep your manager without giving him the funds needed to actually win something

Realistically, how much do you think will be made available to Pochettino each year in the near future to allow him to try and bring Spurs up to the next level(assuming that's what his goal is)?

Bwuk

I think he’s taken Spurs as far as they can realistically go at the minute.

They don’t have the finances to build a squad realistically to compete with City.

Poch has done brilliantly at getting the best out of a bunch of players at Spurs that frankly are average. Sissoko has been excellent this year for example.

I think he’d definitely be interested, depending on the terms. I’d imagine we’d make him the second highest paid manager in the league after Pep, and I’d imagine he’d want a guaranteed transfer budget.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think he’s taken Spurs as far as they can realistically go at the minute.

They don’t have the finances to build a squad realistically to compete with City.

Poch has done brilliantly at getting the best out of a bunch of players at Spurs that frankly are average. Sissoko has been excellent this year for example.

I think he’d definitely be interested, depending on the terms. I’d imagine we’d make him the second highest paid manager in the league after Pep, and I’d imagine he’d want a guaranteed transfer budget.
Ok il bite.... a bunch of average players? Seriously? How many do you define a bunch exactly?

Bwuk

Ok il bite.... a bunch of average players? Seriously? How many do you define a bunch exactly?
I think Toby, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Kane are all top class would walk into most sides in world football.

The likes of Trippier, Lamela, Rose etc I think are good premier league players, but ultimately squad player level at the elite level which is what Spurs need to aim to be at if they want to challenge City.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think Toby, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Kane are all top class would walk into most sides in world football.

The likes of Trippier, Lamela, Rose etc I think are good premier league players, but ultimately squad player level at the elite level which is what Spurs need to aim to be at if they want to challenge City.
So we’re not a bunch of average players? I think 4 world class players kind of puts that idea away. If he is moving to United how many world class players does he have? I’d say 2.

Bwuk

So we’re not a bunch of average players? I think 4 world class players kind of puts that idea away. If he is moving to United how many world class players does he have? I’d say 2.
I’ve worded that wrong then sorry.

I just don’t think Spurs can go any further than where they are without massive financial investment, due to the level City are at and will continue to be at. Liverpool are competing this year but broke the world record fees for defenders and a keeper to do so.

I’d say we have 2 as well, and we have a lot of dross in our squad - Spurs squad is probably better. But we have a lot deeper pockets and can give him money to get whoever he wants.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’ve worded that wrong then sorry.

I just don’t think Spurs can go any further than where they are without massive financial investment, due to the level City are at and will continue to be at. Liverpool are competing this year but broke the world record fees for defenders and a keeper to do so.

I’d say we have 2 as well, and we have a lot of dross in our squad - Spurs squad is probably better. But we have a lot deeper pockets and can give him money to get whoever he wants.
I’d agree with that, I honestly don’t think he can let this drag out for the rest of the season. Something will have to be said because every press conference will be filled with question marks.

Bwuk

I’d agree with that, I honestly don’t think he can let this drag out for the rest of the season. Something will have to be said because every press conference will be filled with question marks.
Doubt he’ll commit to saying anything if I’m honest. If United are after him it gives him something to threaten Levy with if Spurs don’t invest again.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Doubt he’ll commit to saying anything if I’m honest. If United are after him it gives him something to threaten Levy with if Spurs don’t invest again.
He will do what he has always done and say the choice isn’t his to make, meaning he is under contract to Tottenham and its Levy’s who will decide. The question is does he want the move and if he does how much will he push for it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Top clubs want to win the title, not finish inside the top 4.

You have been closer to a title challenger because United, Liverpool and Arsenal under performed, that doesn't mean that you will stay competitive on the basis on couple of seasons of CL qualifications.

United won the title 5 years ago, when was the last time Spurs won it?
Every club wants to win the title, not just "top" clubs. And the "underperformed" excuse is trotted out every time one of the usual top 6 clubs finishes lower than Spurs, because it evades having to admit that actually Spurs might have better players. But it's an excuse that starts to wear thin when variously 1 or 2 or 3 or even 4 of those other top 6 clubs have finished lower than Spurs at various times for several seasons past.

As for the rest, you've shifted the goal-posts yet again. First you wanted to talk keeping up with the top clubs. When that fell down, you wanted to talk about challenging for the title. Now when that has collapsed you want to talk about United winning the title 5 years ago.

What's Pochettino's history in the Transfer market like ?
We all know about how he's improved the players who were already present at the club and his good work in developing a few of Spurs's young talents but very little mention about his transfer history.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Can you please explain how Spurs will manage to do the following in the next couple of years:

- Pay off stadium debt
- Keep your players without paying them what they could get at other clubs/winning anything
- Keep your manager without giving him the funds needed to actually win something

Realistically, how much do you think will be made available to Pochettino each year in the near future to allow him to try and bring Spurs up to the next level(assuming that's what his goal is)?
No-one has ever said that Spurs will be able to pay off stadium debt in just two years, so who knows where you get that artificial Aunt Sally from.

Item 2 has been trotted out every year for several years past, with the usual dire predictions that have all bitten the dust. In the last few months alone several players have signed new contracts, not least Kane, Alli and Son.

Item 3 is based on two questionable assumptions: (a) that trophies can't be won without spending lots; and (b) that Spurs won't be increasing the net-spend budget available for Pochettino over the next two years.

As to your question: who knows, but certainly more than has been made available thus far.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
]
Logic? Is that logic? It would have been logic, perhaps, if I had said that Allegri is a fantastic manager. Did I? But nevertheless, Allegri still be, in my opinion, much better than Pochettino, and Mourinho probably too. We will see, if UTD will sign him, but for the moment I think that Pochettino is very good at selling himself, his image, but not so good at managing a team with great ambitions.
If you think that then your opinion has no weight to them. Mourinho is a yesterday manager and to say he will be a better fit than Pochettino is something I can’t take seriously. Mourinho has failed to adapt his footballing philosophy and his man management is really poor. Pochettino on the other hand excel in those departments and has developed Spurs into a champion league team rather than a club that was content with Europa League football. This and the stadium that is being built at Spurs, help show case his ambitions.

Enigma_87

You know who
Every club wants to win the title, not just "top" clubs. And the "underperformed" excuse is trotted out every time one of the usual top 6 clubs finishes lower than Spurs, because it evades having to admit that actually Spurs might have better players. But it's an excuse that starts to wear thin when variously 1 or 2 or 3 or even 4 of those other top 6 clubs have finished lower than Spurs at various times for several seasons past.

As for the rest, you've shifted the goal-posts yet again. First you wanted to talk keeping up with the top clubs. When that fell down, you wanted to talk about challenging for the title. Now when that has collapsed you want to talk about United winning the title 5 years ago.
Every club wanting to win the title doesn't make it very probable does it? Having better players is subjective and even having better players doesn't reflect always in the table every season.

Apart from 2 top 3 finishes your record in domestic cups and Europe is still poor. That doesn't make you a top club yet. Newcastle were making top 4 finishes 15 years ago(a big stadium to boot as well) and where are they now?

By top club I always mean one that competes for titles not top 4 finish. Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal - all have more of a claim to win the title based on historic evidence than Spurs.

United finished above you in the table last season, what that really proves? Fastforward next Summer. United with a new manager and new 100-200m net to spend for new players, who will have more chance to win the title - Spurs or United?