Books A Song of Ice and Fire (Books) | TV show? What TV show?

championo

Top Stalker
Question to those who have read the book. Do you like the story in the book? Is there justice in this shit? I don't like where it is going. It seems evil always wins in all the episodes.

nimic

something nice
Scout
You've seen two episodes. And frankly, if they bothered you that much, you should stop watching. You ain't seen nothing yet ;)

It's not about good and evil, though. Some might be more good/evil than others, but this isn't Lord of the Rings.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: There are a few evil characters and a few good characters. The majority fall somewhere in between the two. Some really bad things happen to good people though.

This won't be until second season(I think, maybe third) but I'm looking forward to Euron Greyjoy's appearance. He seems badass.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Yeah, Robb hears that he's back in Storm of Swords but he doesn't appear until Feast.

AllhailManUtd

Manchester United need a minor miracle now, they'r
Question to those who have read the book. Do you like the story in the book? Is there justice in this shit? I don't like where it is going. It seems evil always wins in all the episodes.
It is very real so sometimes justice happens and sometimes it doesn't. The story arc isn't traditional.

As for do I like the story? Absolutely love it, one of the best, if not the best, I have read. Evil doesn't always win, however it is much like real life. Do good guys always win in real life? Not really. Keep that sort of mind frame along the way.

championo

Top Stalker
:lol: There are a few evil characters and a few good characters. The majority fall somewhere in between the two. Some really bad things happen to good people though.

This won't be until second season(I think, maybe third) but I'm looking forward to Euron Greyjoy's appearance. He seems badass.
This is the shit I don't want to see. Like the butchers son that they just killed. feck that. I gone to read some part of the book and it is not my type of thing.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Re-reading AGoT is really difficult because some of the things that happen and you know they're coming up so you don't want to keep going. :(

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
This is the shit I don't want to see. Like the butchers son that they just killed. feck that. I gone to read some part of the book and it is not my type of thing.
That's the difference between this and a lot of other fantasy book series. There is no golden hero that goes unharmed in 7 books, shit can happen to any character in this series. Some love that, some don't.

Cina

Great episode. Joffrey is a right little cnut, love it.

I agree that the books are relentless. In a weird way, they're like The Sopranos, or The Wire, there's no real good/evil, everyone just has different morals and anything can happen to anyone. Even Eddard, who is supposed to be the 'hero' of the show, has a bastard son. There's no line between what will/won't be done, anything can happen and sometimes you won't be too happy!

spinoza

Paz's ion
:lol: I know the answer but it's something that really shouldn't be revealed in spoilers or the tv show. In the book, it never even really says. Just hints, including the name of the series "A Song of Ice and Fire."
I know what you are playing at, next book maybe as a reward for fans that waited the 200 decades it took him writing it?;)
It is known. :lol:
Too obvious. If it turns out he's actually Jon Targaryen I'll be very disappointed. Plus, he's sworn his balls away to the Night Watch, so he won't be ascending the Iron Throne any time soon.

Cina

I think the sickest stuff I've read in the books is (MAAAAAJOR SPOILERS, do not read if you haven't read them.):

That guy Craster beyond the wall who incests his own daughters, then they have kids, then when they're old enough he does it to them too.

And anything with the Mountain, surely the most vile character in the entire series. Remember that tale Arya overhears where the barkeep gets annoyed because they're feeling up his daughter, so he rapes her himself and then gets his entire company in the tavern to do it too.

There's plenty more but they're the first that come to mind. Robbs death is pretty disgusting too.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I think the sickest stuff I've read in the books is (MAAAAAJOR SPOILERS, do not read if you haven't read them.):

That guy Craster beyond the wall who incests his own daughters, then they have kids, then when they're old enough he does it to them too.

And anything with the Mountain, surely the most vile character in the entire series. Remember that tale Arya overhears where the barkeep gets annoyed because they're feeling up his daughter, so he rapes her himself and then gets his entire company in the tavern to do it too.

There's plenty more but they're the first that come to mind. Robbs death is pretty disgusting too.
Ah yeah Craster is lovely:lol:

I still think Tywin Lannister is the most "evil" character. The way he treats his kids especially the whole Tysha story, she got raped over and over again by his guard because she loved Tyrion. And how he has no boundaries to gain power, and in the end he is the one that unleashes the Mountain on people.

Red_Aaron

had never heard of this before but have watched the 2 episodes so far and loved it. I'm caught now between getting the books which i know i'll enjoy but also not wanting to ruin the show by finding out what happens.

i wish i'd not watched this show from the start as i'd have preferred to watch them all at once over a week, waiting 7 days for a new episode sucks ass.....feck it, i'm getting the books, the shows have had enough tits in them to make them worth watching anyway

Dresilved

On a serious not. I love tits...but are what's Game of Thrones target audience? geeky teenagers?

I'm being very serious before anyone calls me a stroll or something.
Agree with this, second episode almost exclusively dealt with the younger characters, seems more like a teen thing to me.... Disappointed so far, expected so much more, I thought Sean beans character would have been more the central character, he's been more of a bit part so far and quite frankly the acting and some of the dialogue has been hammy, I say less ham and more bean if this is going to improve, I'm giving it 1 more chance before jumping ship

championo

Top Stalker
Really? I love this stuff - you rarely get it in fantasy. I can see you puking when you find out what goes on at the Nightfort...
Nah, I have seen enough. I am not watching again. Will just follow Borgias. I like their type of Evil.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Agree with this, second episode almost exclusively dealt with the younger characters, seems more like a teen thing to me.... Disappointed so far, expected so much more, I thought Sean beans character would have been more the central character, he's been more of a bit part so far and quite frankly the acting and some of the dialogue has been hammy, I say less ham and more bean if this is going to improve, I'm giving it 1 more chance before jumping ship
Eddard Stark carks it at the end of the first book. The central characters are Jon, Bran, Arya, Daenerys and Tyrion. No one else (except maybe Sansa) seems to be doing anything interesting.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Eddard Stark carks it at the end of the first book. The central characters are Jon, Bran, Arya, Daenerys and Tyrion. No one else (except maybe Sansa) seems to be doing anything interesting.
I'd say Cersei and Jamie are central characters too, though obviously not yet in the series.

But anyone calling this "teeny".. you should probably just stop watching it.

spinoza

Paz's ion
I'd say Cersei and Jamie are central characters too, though obviously not yet in the series.
Hmm... don't know about that. The Lannisters, except for Tyrion, are caricatures of Dr Evil. One personality shared between several characters. Jamie seems to be evolving a bit, but still not doing anything interesting as of book 4.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I sort of agree with Spoony. It is flawed in a lot of ways. Yet I still find it weirdly interesting. I'm looking forward to the next episode and I don't know why.

Possibly because the art direction is so good. Possibly because it's unusual to see such graphic violence in something of this genre. Possibly because the whole massive feck off wall storyline is intriguing. Possibly because Peter Dinklage is a class actor. Possibly because I reckon those dragon eggs are gonna hatch at some point, which should be fun. Possibly because I really fancy the blond sort getting ravaged by Ming the Merciless. Possibly all the above.

spinoza

Paz's ion
The storylines are fun. The author's not precious about his characters. The series is a reasonably faithful translation of the books to the big screen, and is nothing more than that.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hmm... don't know about that. The Lannisters, except for Tyrion, are caricatures of Dr Evil. One personality shared between several characters. Jamie seems to be evolving a bit, but still not doing anything interesting as of book 4.
Do you really think so? Cersei is the only one I would call outright "evil" of them (maybe Tywin and Joffry too of course, but they're gonners).

Jamie is a much more complex character than any Dr Evil caricature.

Cina

Do you really think so? Cersei is the only one I would call outright "evil" of them (maybe Tywin and Joffry too of course, but they're gonners).

I don't really think Cersei is evil, more ... insane. I do agree that Jaime is quite a likable character once the arm gets chopped and you're in his POV. He definitely grows, especially when he's with Brienne.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I sort of agree with Spoony. It is flawed in a lot of ways. Yet I still find it weirdly interesting. I'm looking forward to the next episode and I don't know why.

Possibly because the art direction is so good. Possibly because it's unusual to see such graphic violence in something of this genre. Possibly because the whole massive feck off wall storyline is intriguing. Possibly because Peter Dinklage is a class actor. Possibly because I reckon those dragon eggs are gonna hatch at some point, which should be fun. Possibly because I really fancy the blond sort getting ravaged by Ming the Merciless. Possibly all the above.
With regards to Daenerys(blond) and the dragon eggs, the last scene of the book involves the two in a highly disturbing fashion.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Ah yeah Craster is lovely:lol:

I still think Tywin Lannister is the most "evil" character. The way he treats his kids especially the whole Tysha story, she got raped over and over again by his guard because she loved Tyrion. And how he has no boundaries to gain power, and in the end he is the one that unleashes the Mountain on people.
I dont think they'll be showing all that. They're not following the book exactly anyways.

wasn't catelyn stark supposed to be nude when she got that letter in the last episode ?

spinoza

Paz's ion

I don't really think Cersei is evil, more ... insane. I do agree that Jaime is quite a likable character once the arm gets chopped and you're in his POV. He definitely grows, especially when he's with Brienne.
Jamie's turnaround didn't feel right. He's basically got one skill, and now has to survive without it. It's so much easier to survive by being evil, especially when you've been doing it all your life. Why suddenly try to be good and powerless at the same time?

But yes, now that I think about it, he's less like Dr Evil than before.

Cina

I dont think they'll be showing all that. They're not following the book exactly anyways.

wasn't catelyn stark supposed to be nude when she got that letter in the last episode ?
Well none of what we've mentioned is in the first book. Anyway it's HBO, they can show whatever the hell they want.

She was, but she's also younger and hotter in the books so I'm glad they changed it!

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede

Hmm can't remember it's possible, the actress playing Catelyn annoys me though. Should have been Lena Headey with someone else playing Cersei that looks more natural as a blonde.

Crustanoid

Uhhhhh there's two kind of spoilers in this thread -

One which spoils the next episode if you haven't seen it -their fine because I haven't read the book but I'm up to date with the episode.

Then there's the other type - I just clicked one and found out something that might happen at the end of this series and it's kind of fecked it up. I guess the solution for anyone who hasn't read the book is not to click on any spoilers, because that has really fecked it up for me enjoying this

Cina

Basically just don't read anything with a spoiler tag because it goes past what has been shown on the TV so far.

Though folks, I'd recommend that you put warnings on the spoiler tags if it isn't explicitly about the books and spoils what happens during an episode. I don't like knowing exactly what is going to occur at the end of an episode myself. Which happened with episode 1.