A tactical shift from Ole? Shirley not

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
All nonsense and fakenews, Ole Doesn't know what hes doing. No plan etc.

Am I doing this right ?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Shirley?

Did i miss a pun?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Good read. A few things in there that I hadn't noticed and will look out for. Doesn't read like we a management staff that are tactically clueless does it?

United58

"Anthony Martial was going to act as a quasi false 9"

A false false 9? So a 9?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"Anthony Martial was going to act as a quasi false 9"

A false false 9? So a 9?
A false false 9 means we pretend he’s a false 9 but really he’s a 9. Subtle difference to a false quasi false 9 which is where you pretend he’s a quasi false 9 but he’s actually a false 9

fergiesarmy1

But his haters know more about football and tictacs than Ole so this can’t be true.

United58

A false false 9 means we pretend he’s a false 9 but really he’s a 9. Subtle difference to a false quasi false 9 which is where you pretend he’s a quasi false 9 but he’s actually a false 9
:lol:

Despite this line, it was actually a really interesting read.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Antony Martial, Position: Nein Nein Nine.

jackal&hyde

Very good article . Wish there were more like it and less "United standards dropping", "SAF did it batter".

elánius

Oh jesus, finally some article that pretends that we have some kind of system and now we actually play like Liverpool does. :D

Sure. False false 9, Fred done a decent job replacing Pogba and genius tactics like midfielders trying to find some space to be able to recieve a pass or holding midfielder playing alongside center backs to help them with control of the ball or pace of the game. And what about this absolutly new and creative movement that Mata goes deep to recieve the ball. I actually cant stop laughing. :D :D

iKeano

A shift from not knowing what he's doing, to not knowing what he's doing.

Out of his depth, yes man for the dark overlords.

Foxbatt

We could pretend he is anything but what about the opposition?

Zlatattack

That's a really interesting article actually. Will have to wait and see how it develops.

Foxbatt

Oh jesus, finally some article that pretends that we have some kind of system and now we actually play like Liverpool does. :D

Sure. False false 9, Fred done a decent job replacing Pogba and genius tactics like midfielders trying to find some space to be able to recieve a pass or holding midfielder playing alongside center backs to help them with control of the ball or temo of the game. And what about this absolutly new and creative movement that Mata goes deep to recieve the ball. I actually cant stop laughing. :D :D
Next it will be Matic is a quasi false statue.

Nick7

Enjoyed the bit about AWB. I know he's gotten a lot of stick on here, but I genuinely think he's a good crosser of the ball when he has the space. Hopefully he can keep improving that aspect of his game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You would normally think this way, false false = true. But there can only be so many false's, after that You find yourself a fake footballer (Phil Jones).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Sure. False false 9, Fred done a decent job replacing Pogba and genius tactics like midfielders trying to find some space to be able to recieve a pass or holding midfielder playing alongside center backs to help them with control of the ball or pace of the game. And what about this absolutly new and creative movement that Mata goes deep to recieve the ball. I actually cant stop laughing. :D :D
What would you have done differently?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I liked that article, and the Gifs helped me understand the points a lot.

Amerifan

“I didn’t read the article but it’s all Ole’s fault. What were we talking about?”

passing-wind

I don't really think the article accurately depicts the successful tactical elements that Liverpool employ. Using the diagnoal switch from one fullback to another is not exactly a revolutionary implementation it's logical because the fullback in the team shape will often occupy the most amount of free space being further wide. Also if you dig deeper when Trent sprays the pass to Robertson look at the movement of the Liverpool team, the phase of that play is anticipated in the teams movement, by the time Andy recieves the pass he has all three forward players maintaining their attacking shape so he's got options from his distribution. Compare that to AWB and when he receives the ball he's actually isolated with no movement catered to give him options in the wide space.

There's zero resemblance in our playing style compared to Liverpool, we are far less useful in possession which shows in our statistics and when the impetus is on us to dominate the opponent we often struggle if they are compact. Solskjaer already set the tone to fail this season when he employed a 4231 dropping Pogba into a double pivot away from the previous success he had with a 433 during his tenure.

AshRK

Good read. I don't know if Ole is the man to take us forward but I will surely say this he will leave a much better squad than has predecessors did. The likes of Poch or Tuchel would love to manage this young squad.

He'sRaldo

I don't really think the article accurately depicts the successful tactical elements that Liverpool employ. Using the diagnoal switch from one fullback to another is not exactly a revolutionary implementation it's logical because the fullback in the team shape will often occupy the most amount of free space being further wide. Also if you dig deeper when Trent sprays the pass to Robertson look at the movement of the Liverpool team, the phase of that play is anticipated in the teams movement, by the time Andy recieves the pass he has all three forward players maintaining their attacking shape so he's got options from his distribution. Compare that to AWB and when he receives the ball he's actually isolated with no movement catered to give him options in the wide space.

There's zero resemblance in our playing style compared to Liverpool, we are far less useful in possession which shows in our statistics and when the impetus is on us to dominate the opponent we often struggle if they are compact. Solskjaer already set the tone to fail this season when he employed a 4231 dropping Pogba into a double pivot away from the previous success he had with a 433 during his tenure.
While I must caveat that this is a Liverpool team 4 years in the making and are certainly a lot more used to their system and movements, the bolded is something I cannot disagree with.

I can't understand why Ole has doggedly stuck to the 4-2-3-1, especially given our low standard no. 10 options.

El Zoido

Really flies in the face of the vast majority of United fans who talk about Ole as if he’s clueless and just tells the player to run around and try hard.

RUCK4444

A potentially positive thread!? No wayyyyyyy :eek:

Anybody with a consistent interest in actually watching football will notice that not only has Ole's tactical approach been more progressive than the previous managers he's also attempted at least to implement a press. Unfortunately the squad strength means that both things are hard to implement consistently, especially with young players.

I've never said Ole was the next Pep but I've seen enough 'positive' intent from Ole, that's why I want to give him another summer window. Absolutely nothing to do with blind loyalty to an ex player like most would have you believe about pro-Ole posters.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All nonsense and fakenews, Ole Doesn't know what hes doing. No plan etc.

Am I doing this right ?
Yes.

These are my favourite bits.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had a plan for this season.
That anybody has to actually say this in an actual article doesn't bode well for how good than plan was.

Next up is this little gem

Such is life that even the best laid plans seem to always go astray
Ah, tough luck, young Ole. Just scrap this and start a new save. It's not like you're actually managing Manchester United is it? Oh wait..

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Next it will be Matic is a quasi false statue.
All this false this and diamond that. Two banks of four etc etc. What does it actually mean.
We are simply far too rigid in the way we play.
And that makes it far too easy for the opposition to counter that.

If you listen to Pep when he is asked about the formation and where a player is going to play.
His answer is always the same. We do not stick to a rigid format. The players know where they should be at any specific time.

In other words, we coach them properly to deal with all eventualities.

EDIT. And by the way. Any coach who advocates zonal marking is just plain dumb.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really flies in the face of the vast majority of United fans who talk about Ole as if he’s clueless and just tells the player to run around and try hard.
People exaggerate. He's not clueless but come across as mediocre in this sense especially in light of some of the top managers our rival's have and others Europe has seen in recent years. Woild be great if he changes people's viewpoint

GBBQ

So basically his pre-season plan was to build a team around one person (who stated in the summer it was time for a new challenge) and didn't have a plan B in place because he didn't have any other playmakers in his squad (having chosen not to replace two midfielders who left during his first 6 months in the role).

He then decided to compensate for his lack of midfield creativity by copying a Liverpool tactic despite not having attacking fullbacks with anywhere close to the abilities of Liverpool's.

And some people will argue that we should forget what our eyes are seeing, our patchy results, our inability to keep a clean sheet against the dregs of the league or our league position and say that Ole is taking us forward?

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Great read, I enjoyed it. Nice to see a real breakdown and thorough analysis of our tactical setup instead of the lazy controversy-fishing punditry with zero in-depth analysis. Very refreshing read and a good thread to discuss Ole-ball. I will definitely be watching for this in the upcoming games to see how this develops over the coming weeks.

jackal&hyde

City under Pep use zonal marking, so I guess he's plain dumb too.
Yes but they are only professional football managers, some journalists have a different opinion and i know whom i want to listen to when it comes to football tactics :lol: :houllier:

United58

All this false this and diamond that. Two banks of four etc etc. What does it actually mean.
We are simply far too rigid in the way we play.
And that makes it far too easy for the opposition to counter that.

If you listen to Pep when he is asked about the formation and where a player is going to play.
His answer is always the same. We do not stick to a rigid format. The players know where they should be at any specific time.

In other words, we coach them properly to deal with all eventualities.

EDIT. And by the way. Any coach who advocates zonal marking is just plain dumb.
Great point. For the past 6 years, we've been far, far too rigid.

acnumber9

City under Pep use zonal marking, so I guess he's plain dumb too.
Because defending is City’s strength? They get away with it because they dominate possession and are a better overall side. When they do lose it’s because they can’t defend.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I will make a bet that 90% of the haters or the Ole out in here don’t even read the whole article. They don’t even listen to the sensible reason from explanation, can’t expect them to even read an article about a manger they don’t even have faith in.

Great read, which also exactly what I had explained it many times that makes me bored to do it over and over again.