A team with a strong English spine

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Presuming the Maguire signing goes through, that'll give us five potential first team players for both us and England:

Maguire
Shaw
Bissaka
Lingard
Rashford

Plus the likes of Smalling, Jones and Young, who are England internationals. Then Greenwood, Gomez and Garner who've all represented England at lower age levels.

Anyone else quite pleased about this? Not because I think we should look to prefer English players, but just because it's good to see united players also representing my national team...and traditionally we've usually had a pretty strong representation.

Spines.

binary bot
Yep, it's great

Especially knowing that if they reach their potential then there's an excellent chance they'll be here for the rest of their careers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Presuming the Maguire signing goes through, that'll give us five potential first team players for both us and England:

Maguire
Shaw
Bissaka
Lingard
Rashford

Plus the likes of Smalling, Jones and Young, who are England internationals. Then Greenwood, Gomez and Garner who've all represented England at lower age levels.

Anyone else quite pleased about this? Not because I think we should look to prefer English players, but just because it's good to see united players also representing my national team...and traditionally we've usually had a pretty strong representation.

Spines.
Brexiter confirmed

More seriously, yeah I think it's quite a good thing, especially that we will often be playing a fully English back four when Smalling/Jones come in for Lindelof

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sadly it’s just the defence “guaranteed” at the moment. (AWB, Maguire & possibly Shaw).

Hopefully we add some “guaranteed” attackers (Greenwood & Rashford) soon. (I assume Rashford isn’t first choice anymore - Sterling, Kane & Sancho.

I’m happy though. United have always had a strong British presence.

Walters_19_MuFc

As an English club, I think its imperative we have English players.

We should be looking to add Sancho, Rice and Maddison to our spine.

lysglimt

Scout
In 2 years the United England-team could possibly be better than England without United-players.

Henderson, Shaw, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Jones, AWB - Lingard, Garner, Gomes, Greenwood - Rashford

+ whoever player we sign in the near future

Walters_19_MuFc

I think he’s miles more dynamic, more of an outlet in both boxes. He’s younger than Delph and Henderson. Don’t think Winks is as good.
Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I love McTominay. I think he's been awesome for us since coming into the team. I just think he's your typical box to box midfielder that England have enough of.

That said, what used to be the typical box to box player is now becoming your players like Foden, Barkley, Maddison, Mount, etc - technically gifted players, rather than grafters.

He'd most likely be a holding midfielder for England, rather than one of the centre midfielders above.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Brexiter confirmed

More seriously, yeah I think it's quite a good thing, especially that we will often be playing a fully English back four when Smalling/Jones come in for Lindelof
Yes. I think having a mostly competent defence is a big plus, regardless of nationality, but it is also easier to not hate the England team at the same time as supporting them when there's a few of your own players in there. Or at the very least it makes the games slightly less uninteresting.

It was going so well until I read Lingard's name.
He's going to be around forever. Never quite good enough to not be annoying. Never quite rubbish enough to be sold to Aston Villa.

Sadly it’s just the defence “guaranteed” at the moment. (AWB, Maguire & possibly Shaw).

Hopefully we add some “guaranteed” attackers (Greenwood & Rashford) soon. (I assume Rashford isn’t first choice anymore - Sterling, Kane & Sancho.

Not sure what Sancho has done to be starting ahead of Rashford and I suspect he wouldn't. Rashford is usually very good for England. I think Kane needs to be watching over his shoulder in the longer term.

Rashford is already established and improving, Sterling is still improving despite having a status in his own right now, and then you have Sancho and Hudson-Odoi who look promising...and a whole crop of promising youngsters below that. The thing is these are all players who are fast, skillful and adaptable, who you can play in different positions in different systems. Kane is actually the odd one out as the style of play, system, and every attack is dictated by him being there. A bit like Ruud for United.

Littlinho

The jury is still out on Declan Rice, his movement off the ball when his team is in possession isn't great, he needs to create better angles to keep the ball ticking over, bit overrated in my opinion, better players out there

Icemav

Lets talk about a quality British spine:

Maguire
Shaw
Wan-Bissaka
McTominay
Rashford

Rahsford is still a bit if a wait and see however I think the rest will be rock solid for us. A great foundation. Those coming through:

James
Gomes
Greenwood
Tuanzabe
Garner

PeteManic

To properly work with your metaphor, United's "spine" would be:

DeGea
Lindelof
Matic
Pogba
Rashford.

Not much English (or consistency) in there. United will struggle again.

Gopher Brown

"English spine" usually refers to having English goalkeeper, centre-backs, centre-midfielders and strikers. It's one of those lazy, go-to phrases that pundits such as Paul Merson love to bang on about as having some sort of importance beyond how good the players are.

It's nonsense. I couldn't care less what nationality the players are, as long as they're good enough. I've tried, but I just can't support England beyond a very casual interest. How could I possibly want to see Chelsea, Man City or Liverpool players doing well?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
To properly work with your metaphor, United's "spine" would be:

DeGea
Lindelof
Matic
Pogba
Rashford.

Not much English (or consistency) in there. United will struggle again.
Christ you're a miserable cnut aren't you

ManchesterYoda

As an English club, I think its imperative we have English players.

We should be looking to add Sancho, Rice and Maddison to our spine.
I would welcome all 3 of those. I think they would improve our team and squad. Sancho wouldn't be part of the spine though, just being pedantic.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We've always had a good English core in our successful teams. I think we're on the right track, especially with the youth.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
We've always had a good English core in our successful teams. I think we're on the right track, especially with the youth.
I agree with this but what do you think 'works' about it? I mean it can't just be coincidental but other than being used to the country/culture/league/style of play, I wonder what makes it work? All of our very best players have actually been non-English (Bar a few notable names) but it's certainly true that our most successful period had a strong English core.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I agree with this but what do you think 'works' about it? I mean it can't just be coincidental but other than being used to the country/culture/league/style of play, I wonder what makes it work? All of our very best players have actually been non-English (Bar a few notable names) but it's certainly true that our most successful period had a strong English core.
I think they help to ground all the other players to the traditions and values of the club and also of England itself. At risk of sounding full Brexit if the players at your club don't speak English as the common language I think you start to lose a bit of the identity.

Stacks

Shaw is 3rd choice LB maybe even 4th. Only Rash AWB and Maguire have a long term England future

Greck

I personally got over the desire for a British spine when I grew disillusioned with international football and got burned by so many prospects. Now I keep my interational bias out of anything United related because United has always been my escape from it. Wilshere's class especially was supposed to be a surefire golden generation for me. If our current British spine gets on the pitch and look below ordinary it would have been yet another to add on the trash heap of disappointments. Cleverley, Welbeck, Jones and Smalling were consecutive disappointments despite amazing debut seasons

Last edited:

Alemar

just because it's good to see united players also representing my national team...
That’s the thing - your national team :) The army of Man UTd supporters is international, so it’s more important to have a strong team, regardless of players’ nationality

Rish Sawhney

I think they help to ground all the other players to the traditions and values of the club and also of England itself. At risk of sounding full Brexit if the players at your club don't speak English as the common language I think you start to lose a bit of the identity.
I think there's absolutely nothing Brexity about it. Bale is not criticized for not Speaking Spanish for nothing. Top teams everywhere know and recognize you need a strong base of local players to ground the club, its only in England where terms like "Brexit-model" are thrown about.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That’s the thing - your national team :) The army of Man UTd supporters is international, so it’s more important to have a strong team, regardless of players’ nationality
Yes but Utd are an English club.

Alemar

Yes but Utd are an English club.
So? It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t play French, Spanish, Brazilian, Dutch or any other players if they are better.

Besides - thanks to the Youth academy - we always have at least some English (let’s say British) players from there anyway

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
That's a fair point. Don't think it's 'brexity' at all, tbh. It makes sense. Definitely the traditions and values of the club will be more prominent in local players. Obviously not a hard and fast rule (and there have been many exceptions of foreign lads 'getting' the club) but I can see the logic.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So? It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t play French, Spanish, Brazilian, Dutch or any other players if they are better.

Besides - thanks to the Youth academy - we always have at least some English (let’s say British) players from there anyway
Of course not but an English spine has always been a good foundation for those players to flourish.

Mr Smith

This. Almost all the greatest club sides throughout history have had a core of players who play for their own country, who live in the city, know the fans, and know what the club means to them. You can't put a price on that.

I strongly believe that SAF overachieved with some of his sides that had a good collection of academy players. They weren't necessarily the best in the squad, but they'd grown up in England and had a deep understanding of the legacy of Manchester United in England.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Irwin, O'Shea, Keane...

Utd will never be great again until we've an Irishman in the team!