g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

A Uefa Conference league title or a League cup?

Which would you rather your club won?

• European Conference League

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • League Cup

Votes: 139 62.9%

• Total voters

tentan

Poor man's poster.
As a player which would you rather win?

Moyes > Ten Hag :angel:

AshRK

Any european trophy is bigger than league cup but I wouldn't want my club to be competing in that conference league. So rather never finish 7th to compete in that

Ole'sattheWheel

Maybe it's because I'm English but winning at Wembley will always be better than the europa conference league

Bertie Wooster

I think it also depends on the club you win them for.

If you're a top level player, at a club like Man United, then you wouldn't want to be in the Conference League, so I'm sure they'd rather win the League Cup while competing in the CL (or EL in our case) that season.

But if you're a player, and at a club, who aren't used to playing in European competitions, then it's a huge win for them and would probably be deemed even bigger than the domestic cup - even more so being the League Cup rather than the FA Cup.

However, having said all that, all trophies are great to win and shouldn't be dismissed / downplayed. Especially for players, clubs, fans for whom it's a very rare achievement.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
League Cup by a mile.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As well as the trophy, the reward for both is a spot in the Europa League. They’re pretty much the same thing but Wembley does help make the League Cup feel more worthy than it is.

Mercurial

Winning conference is the crowning achievment of being mediocre.

ROFLUTION

League Cup of course, as you have to beat maybe the 2 best teams in England, which is also some of the best in the World. You'll always have to get past City/Liverpool or Arsenal, Newcastle or someone else along the way.

Nickelodeon

For a big club, League Cup. As ECL becomes more of a symbol of lack of presence in the CL than an actual measure of success.

For a mid-table club, ECL all the way.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Considering it was near impossible for United to win the conference league, it is obviously the league cup.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If you're Wear Ham then the Conference because they're hardly ever in Europe and a win gets you in the Europa (I think).

If you're Man United then the Carabao because it's older and people have actually heard of the league cup.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
One you're in by default because you're not good enough to be in other competitions. The other is one every team in England starts in, no matter their league status.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
There are going to be some interesting excuses here now, trying to rationalise why West Ham did not have a better season than United, by the trophy logic :lol:

As far as cup competitions go, Conference League is a European Cup. More games to play and that makes it harder to win. That beats the League Cup any day Im afraid.

West Ham with a better season than United, if you want to measure season success with cup wins.

Rex Banner

If you ask West Ham fans then they'd obviously say the Conference League, because it's a European trophy and they're probably not gonna get many chances to win one again.

As a United fan, I'd rather win the League Cup because we've never been in the conference league and I'm not arsed about it. But if it was a choice between the League Cup and Europa then I'd probably say the Europa.

Member 101269

There are going to be some interesting excuses here now, trying to rationalise why West Ham did not have a better season than United, by the trophy logic :lol:

As far as cup competitions go, Conference League is a European Cup. More games to play and that makes it harder to win. That beats the League Cup any day Im afraid.

West Ham with a better season than United, if you want to measure season success with cup wins.
I agree the cup West Ham won is better, however, you seem to forget united were in a second cup final and higher in the league.. So it's poor logic by you

Nick7

For United, a league cup. Simply because winning the conference league means failing at CL, and EL level.

GazTheLegend

Gosh that thread about Arsenal bottling that ridiculous lead they had and winning absolutely nothing has really got to a few of you gooners has it. :)

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

If you don't measure season success with cup wins, you're an idiot :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Conference League. European adventure playing in different countries and some good european clubs with history > playing teams you play most seasons.

eire-red

How would you measure success? As opposed to winning competitions?

Idxomer

Big clubs who have bad seasons try to avoid the conference league as much as they could, see Spurs this season or when they tanked the whole thing under Conte.

This is the lowest quality competition the UEEFA have ever invented with the Interoto cup which no one remembers now. A big club participating in it is a failure.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Gosh that thread about Arsenal bottling that ridiculous lead they had and winning absolutely nothing has really got to a few of you gooners has it. :)
Nah not really, the bottling talk is really more for rival fans to enjoy.

Yes, Arsenal did bottle the title in the end, but its temporary disappointment that Arsenal supporters should quickly get over. Because Arsenal's progression and plans to improve are still on track, and that's what matters truly.

The reason why the "better season" talk is so funny to me, is that it was really a nothing discussion to begin with. For the elite teams, the best seasons are the ones where Champions League and Premier League title contention are secured. Anything else, is just a side show, and filler trophy.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
If you don't measure season success with cup wins, you're an idiot :lol:
You're an idiot if you think anything other than the PL and CL is worthy of boasting about for Man United. Sir Alex and his greatest teams would all laugh at you for acting with such desperation.

There were days when you mocked Liverpool for winning the "Mickey Mouse Treble", to now celebrating a League Cup?

Come on bro.

League Cup by a mile. Sure its a bit of a Mickey Mouse trophy but it's high profile and big teams are in it along the way. The Conference League is the definition of mediocrity and they'll probably jack it in in a few years.

IRONTUSK

As a player? not sure you would have to ask someone who has played and won at that level.
I`d put the competitions as follows (for England)

1. Champions League
2. Premier League
3. Europa League
4. FA cup
5. League Cup - Europa conference

I`d say they are about the same level but like others have said it would probably depend on the team winning it as well and the circumstances.

Another question would be in hindsight what would you rather Utd had won the FA cup or Europa?
If you asked me at the start of the season before we knew the circumstances I would have gone with Europa but since it turned out to be City in the final and a chance to stop the treble? I think most would say FA cup

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think you'd find far more fans of Everton, West Ham and clubs of that ilk saying the ECL rather than League Cup and more fans of United, City etc. saying the League Cup.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
You're an idiot if you think anything other than the PL and CL is worthy of boasting about for Man United. Sir Alex and his greatest teams would all laugh at you for acting with such desperation.

There were days when you mocked Liverpool for winning the "Mickey Mouse Treble", to now celebrating a League Cup?

Come on bro.
It's absolutely not what was said though was it.

It's quite plain and obvious that from a United perspective, the trophy meant a lot this year after being starved of any kind of success dating back to 2017.

It's quite clear you're on here to WUM, but to say winning cups isn't a measure of success without any context is absolutely stupid.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
ECL for me but I can see how it's the opposite for clubs with more European honours

PoTMS

As well as the trophy, the reward for both is a spot in the Europa League. They’re pretty much the same thing but Wembley does help make the League Cup feel more worthy than it is.
Winning the Carabao Cup means you enter the Conference League.

Bertie Wooster

Obviously I haven't read all the posts on those threads that have clearly triggered you, but plenty that I've seen, mine included, have also taken into account league performance as well.

In the case of Arsenal and Man United then, both finished top 4 in the league, so achieved the same thing - CL qualification - so, that being the case, a trophy win on top of that beats finishing 1 relatively unimportant place higher but going trophyless.

However, that doesn't definitely mean that having a terrible season in the league but winning a cup automatically means you had a better season than others who went trophyless, or others who also won one.

Birmingham winning the League Cup but getting relegated / Wigan winning the FA Cup but getting relegated spring to mind. Personally, those are such huge cup wins for teams who rarely win anything that, yeah, I'd still say it's a great season because relegation from the PL was always a likely scenario for them sooner or later anyway, whereas winning those cups was a completely unexpected dream. But I guess some fans of those clubs may wish to have stayed in the PL instead, especially as neither have got back into the PL yet and aren't looking any closer to doing so.

And I'd say West Ham fall somewhere in between. They wouldn't have been expecting to have such a poor season in the league. And they would have had some hope / belief that they could go far in the weakest European competition. But they win things so rarely that actually seeing their side win a trophy like that then, yeah, it was I imagine a bigger buzz that anything we or Arsenal felt last season and will remain in their memory longer than anything we or Arsenal achieved.

But over the whole season, I'd say we had the 'better' season as we achieved our objective in the league as well as doing well in both domestic cups and winning a trophy. But for an individual 'high', the West Ham trophy win is bigger because it comes so rarely for them, and so I'm sure this season will be more memorable for longer for them than either of the other two clubs.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Obviously I haven't read all the posts on those threads that have clearly triggered you, but plenty that I've seen, mine included, have also taken into account league performance as well.

In the case of Arsenal and Man United then, both finished top 4 in the league, so achieved the same thing - CL qualification - so, that being the case, a trophy win on top of that beats finishing 1 relatively unimportant place higher but going trophyless.

However, that doesn't definitely mean that having a terrible season in the league but winning a cup automatically means you had a better season than others who went trophyless, or others who also won one.

Birmingham winning the League Cup but getting relegated / Wigan winning the FA Cup but getting relegated spring to mind. On the one hand, those are such huge cup wins for teams who rarely win anything that, yeah, I'd still say it's a great season because relegation from the PL was always a likely scenario for them sooner or later anyway, whereas winning those cups was a completely unexpected dream.

And West Ham fall somewhere in between. They wouldn't have been expecting to have such a poor season in the league. And they would have had some hope / belief that they could go far in the weakest European competition. But they win things so rarely that actually seeing their side win a trophy like that then, yeah, it was I imagine a bigger buzz that anything we or Arsenal felt last season and will remain in their memory longer than anything we or Arsenal achieved.

But over the whole season, I'd say we had the 'better' season as we achieved our objective in the league as well as doing well in both domestic cups and winning a trophy. But for an individual 'high', the West Ham trophy win is bigger because it comes so rarely for them, and so I'm sure this season will be more memorable for longer for them than either of the other two clubs.
Of course we had a better season ffs :lol:

Lecland07

How is it harder to win? The competition doesn't have teams of the quality of Liverpool, Arsenal, Manutd, Man City, Newcastle etc.

It is a great win for West Ham, but they have not had the better season. Comparatively, it is probably pretty even between the two, considering expectations. West Ham maybe a bit lower due to their poor league season, but seems a bit irrelevant now.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Potentially you’ve got to beat tougher teams to win the league cup. So I’d say the league cup.