A word about forum etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree that the moderators are good people, that's not my point.

Imagine a steward at a United game telling you to stop smoking, if they had a cig in their mouth you wouldn't listen.

As much as I like them, asking people to tone down on the language that mods freely use will fall on deaf ears. I don't have a problem with the mods at all.
Aye but it's not the same, at all. If you want it to be you miss the point of the caf. Me calling Brophs or brewlio a feckwit and then asking someone to stop calling a poster he disagrees with the same name is not hypocrisy or double standards.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I agree that the moderators are good people, that's not my point.

Imagine a steward at a United game telling you to stop smoking, if they had a cig in their mouth you wouldn't listen.

As much as I like them, asking people to tone down on the language that mods freely use will fall on deaf ears. I don't have a problem with the mods at all.
Are we really so bad? :(

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Moar smileys is the solution.

If we had a cnut smiley and got the brewlio gaytard smiley from caf wolf we could use those instead of the words. Much nicer.

Tomalonge

Aye but it's not the same, at all. If you want it to be you miss the point of the caf. Me calling Brophs or brewlio a feckwit and then asking someone to stop calling a poster he disagrees with the same name is not hypocrisy or double standards.
Never said it was moses.

And Dwazza, I have much love for many mods here.

I've already stated what I want and explained that I've seen worse and was fine with it then. All I'm saying is why I don't think others will listen.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Never said it was moses.

And Dwazza, I have much love for many mods here.

I've already stated what I want and explained that I've seen worse and was fine with it then. All I'm saying is why I don't think others will listen.
Well if others don't listen they'll be warned and ultimately won't be permitted to post here.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
To be fair, calling someone a feckwit should always be permitted. Sometimes feckwits need to be told they are feckwits. And it's not that offensive.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
To be fair, calling someone a feckwit should always be permitted. Sometimes feckwits need to be told they are feckwits. And it's not that offensive.
I agree, but it's hard to know where to draw the line, and the reality is one shouldn't really insult folk one doesn't know. It rarely helps discussion, which is the point of the place.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What moses said, also it's possible to attack the post and not the poster. Why not refer to the post as feckwittery but refer to the poster as your esteemed peer?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
What moses said, also it's possible to attack the post and not the poster. Why not refer to the post as feckwittery but refer to the poster as your esteemed peer?
:lol:

Sounds good. I look forward to the new insult free discussions on the board, cnuts!

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Ah sorry about that! Force of habit. That's the last time! I promise!

gasmanc

Banned
TN ain't coming back then :(

Seriously though I have been guilty especially in the height of emotion, anything said is never meant to offend but it sometimes can, I have read the OP and it's duly noted.

Loon

:lol:
Like United supporting mates having a drink in the pub. That's how I always try to conduct myself. Sometimes it's harder to gage somebody in writing. Shame when bad blood comes into it.

First time I've seen Niall...

(bowing)

Plugsy

We've all been guilty of it in the past. As long as going forward it's implemented fairly among regular posters and mods, it'll be very good. I speak as someone who has modded before when I say that sometimes there is a temptation of an 'us and them' attitude and these types of rules are sometimes not applied to all.

I've 'resigned' (if that's the right word) from boards as a mod once or twice because it's very easy for someone in that position to develop an antagonistic attitude. Not in terms of their opinions but in almost daring a poster to respond to insults knowing that if they do, they'll get reprimanded, or worse. The "so what are you going to do about it?" attitude isn't rare. I likely developed one myself while doing it. It's almost inevitable sometimes so it has to be especially guarded against.

The newbie system here makes that far less likely to happen than most other places though, with the filters for spammers and the rest. it makes moderation less of a hands on issue/necessity

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
There's been a shitload of cliques on here for years - you piss one lad off & then you have numerous constantly on yer case. Always felt that pretty tacky, but some might take it more personal & thats not right. We dont know if someones goin through a fragile period when they post, so Nialls spot on - its ok to disagree with the post, but personal insults can give someone an even tougher day than they deserve...

Be excellent to each other..

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I report every single one of your offensive posts while laughing along with you.

Nev down, TDon to go...
That is a cnuting prick of a post, you seem an alright fella, but your views in this instance are bollocks. Reading it made me feel like I'd just watched somebody with an advanced STD, have a wank and shit (actual shit) came out of their knob.

Most of the modmins are ok with silly insults in the general. You should probably try to keep it covert in the football forums etc.
Thanks Doc.

datura

I don't understand why, if people find themselves constantly disagreeing with the same person, they don't just ignore them. There's no point just rehashing the same argument ad nauseum if you fundamentally see things differently.

Zen86

Slightly sad that it needed saying, these kinds of words particularly need weeded out.
It would help if some of the modmins themselves didn't use them in abundance. Having CP myself, I don't particularly appreciate seeing some of these words used.
I concur with these posts. The forum has plenty of moral standards, but stuff like this seems fair game.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Warning: contains me ~

Update: I'm still moaning about my permanent ban from the Twitter thread.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I have and some of the language could see an instant dismissal. Times have changed Phurry.
Me too. No health and safety in those days, I ran a bastard forklift backwards and crushed a toe. Then I piled boxes of cornflakes up so high I banged my head on an iron roof beam and nearly fell off them, I hadn't realised I'd gone up 40 foot off the ground. There was a mad skinhead with a studded leather belt that weighed more than I did who practiced whirling it around his head for charges on the terraces. And a guy who was terrified of seagulls, he wouldn't go outside until all of us promised him there weren't any in sight. I don't think I was cut out for warehouses.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Me too. No health and safety in those days, I ran a bastard forklift backwards and crushed a toe. Then I piled boxes of cornflakes up so high I banged my head on an iron roof beam and nearly fell off them, I hadn't realised I'd gone up 40 foot off the ground. There was a mad skinhead with a studded leather belt that weighed more than I did who practiced whirling it around his head for charges on the terraces. And a guy who was terrified of seagulls, he wouldn't go outside until all of us promised him there weren't any in sight. I don't think I was cut out for warehouses.
:lol: Post of the Year (so far)!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Great post but the bolded bit is fabulous:lol:

032Devil

This thread should have been made a long time ago.

I haven't been on the caf as often as I used to be because I've been busy work-wise but personal abuse and personal attacks have been a major trait of this forum well before I joined back (I think) in 2004. It's the road-rage syndrome with most posters. It's a vile, unpalatable aspect of many forums, including this one. It's sad that its been allowed unchecked by the hierarchy for so long.

***My 20k post! Wow!!! The last thousand has only taken me about 3 to 4 years!***

togg

of course I agree...although there are a few holier-than-thou self promoted Caf hierarchicals who think everything they say is gold, funny or nuggets of infinite wisdom...and anyone else contradicting them is a pile of pooh - which they intimate in snide replies........they deserve a few insults to be honest!

AlwaysRedwood

Really, were there any casualties?

Let's not turn this into another anti mod thread, and take heed of the overall sentiment and date and move forward.
Not an anti mod thread. You act as you preach. End of.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not an anti mod thread. You act as you preach. End of.
In a thread about cessation of personal abuse you 'accuse' a mod of using the phrase 'Moyes apologist'. I have news for you, that doesn't undermine the mod in question from asking poster not to use the offensive words given as an example in the OP. So your 'end of' was even more obnoxious than it would have been were you right. Speaking of which, that sort of arrogant dismissive language is much worse and more offensive than 'Moyes apologist' and is just as damaging to discussion as personal insults, which is the minefield we have to wade through.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
First, they came for the nekkid ladies and took them away.

Then they came for the gifs.

Then they came for the MS Paint drawn cocks.

Then they came for the foulmouthed.

I barely have any e-identity left.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

You barely had any to start with tbf. If you weren't a scouser no-one would notice you.

love you really....

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Soon I will have the forum I want, where only jam making and fishing are allowed be discussed. And by discussed I mean you all listen to my aged wisdom on trout and damsons.

Status
Not open for further replies.