A word about forum etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I just came across as such a post by a mod yesterday but it makes no sense for me to report it given it wasn't aimed at me. That would be a bit lame.
Err on the side of proactivity for now, just so we know what annoys you, and you can report it with the caveat that you are just pointing it out.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Is there a different standard for this in say The General then say in the Current Events or Football Forum? Obviously we all know a good deal of insulting takes places in The General but the vast majority of it is good natured and almost really part of the point of many of the bizarre discussions that take place there. In the Football Forum and Current Events it does not carry this good natured feeling.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Is there a different standard for this in say The General then say in the Current Events or Football Forum? Obviously we all know a good deal of insulting takes places in The General but the vast majority of it is good natured and almost really part of the point of many of the bizarre discussions that take place there. In the Football Forum and Current Events it does not carry this good natured feeling.
The general is a cesspit, beyond help. This is about the Footy forums, there should be the same amount of respect as is demanded in the CE forum where much more sensitive issues are (mostly) handled in a much more mature manner.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
The general is a cesspit, beyond help. This is about the Footy forums, there should be the same amount of respect as is demanded in the CE forum where much more sensitive issues are (mostly) handled in a much more mature manner.
Thanks, that is what I thought, just wanted to be sure before I insult Liam again.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
This is fun. It just takes a little longer to express a very negative opinion on someone's posting but it may lead to more creative critique.

AlwaysRedwood

Agreed. But the truth is that most of the debate on here is frequently over small margins and tiny matters, so I think the point is debate what you like, but don't get personal when you don't agree. As for mods not quite getting the balance right, feel free to report them and we'll sort it out, and it won't be taken personally if it's not personal. The mod room versions of these threads are much less us/them than the ones on the boards and the aim is to make the forums better, genuinely.
It is meant as an insult and to wind people up. That's quite obvious. Exactly the sort of rhetoric that's being described in this thread.

the term has never been used toward myself but I've seen it used, it riles things up and is the exact type of crap that is driving some posters out of the United forum. But, you disagree, so let's move on.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Yeah, but that post was aimed at Alistair and there's a clause in the OP that says it's OK under those circumstances.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Can't we just have 'sensitive' on people's tag lines who can't insult? Then we won't confuse them with the others. Surely they are the minority..

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Here you go.
OK, but that was Al's tagline for a year, which was clearly the transgression. But we're not banning you lot for retrospective posts so maybe afford us the same ?
Also, reported posts are private for a reason. Public trials on the caf tend not to be the best way.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It is meant as an insult and to wind people up. That's quite obvious. Exactly the sort of rhetoric that's being described in this thread.

the term has never been used toward myself but I've seen it used, it riles things up and is the exact type of crap that is driving some posters out of the United forum. But, you disagree, so let's move on.
OK, but note that 'End of.' is far more annoying in my opinion.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
OK, but that was Al's tagline for a year, which was clearly the transgression. But we're not banning you lot for retrospective posts so maybe afford us the same ?
Also, reported posts are private for a reason. Public trials on the caf tend not to be the best way.
You told me to me to highlight it so I am.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Haven't posted in here yet, but i feel like i should say something. The word gimp has made it's way into my own real life insult vocabulary, so i feel i should give credit where it's due. In the general it's a laugh but i agree the FF should be cleaned up a tad.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Ok I think this thread has served its purpose.

Close shutters!

Status
Not open for further replies.