A yellow card version of a penalty is needed

montpelier

Refs need to use the rules that apply for indirect free kicks instead of pretending they don’t exist.
I thought they'd done away with IFK's in the main - apart from the backpass being picked up.

montpelier

what about short corners like hockey with the defence on the goal line

roll the ball back & have a shot - EXCITING !!!

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Kick offs should start in a similar way. The ball is on the centre circle and each team is stood on their own goal line. The ref blows up and CHARGE!
Stuff like that makes every sport hilarious. Aren't there some motorsport variants where the drivers have to run to their cars/bikes first? Comedy gold.

UpWithRivers

Im not sure for real games but they should set up friendlies with different rules. It would introduce a lot more excitement. Im sure there can be loads of changes made to add more interest.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kick offs should start in a similar way. The ball is on the centre circle and each team is stood on their own goal line. The ref blows up and CHARGE!
Also, no refs on the pitch, instead we’ll have Cantona throwing the ball in through a hole in the glass cage.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Could you imagine something like this from Joao Felix? :drool:
Finally! I’ve always wondered why no one ever used that type of a finish. It actually leaves keeper no chance - the ball is protected by your body until it’s too high. The only downside is that you can easily feck it up yourself.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I actually wish people would stop wanting to make new rules and changes for the sake of change. Play to the whistle and take your chances! Gerrrrrroonnnnnnwithit

Wittmann45

They actually did something similar in the XFL, the American Football league that was owned and operated by WWE. Instead of coin flips for who gets the ball first, each team competes in a "scramble" where the ball is placed roughly 20 yards forward and, at the whistle, one player from each teams tries to get to the ball first while being allowed to crash into one another while diving for the ball. I think they at first wanted to make it so that players start at opposing ends but realized that would have caused a lot of injuries and decided to start on the same side of the field instead

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They actually did something similar in the XFL, the American Football league that was owned and operated by WWE. Instead of coin flips for who gets the ball first, each team competes in a "scramble" where the ball is placed roughly 20 yards forward and, at the whistle, one player from each teams tries to get to the ball first while being allowed to crash into one another while diving for the ball. I think they at first wanted to make it so that players start at opposing ends but realized that would have caused a lot of injuries and decided to start on the same side of the field instead
Yeah, that's where I stole the idea from.

Obviously it can't really happen in football bit it would be awesome to see!

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
How about this:

The ball is still placed on the penalty spot and the goalie has to stay on their line until the ball is kicked. Every other player has to stand on the halfway line. The ref blows his whistle and everyone can runs toward the stationary ball. If a defending player gets to the ball first he can clear it, if an attacking player gets there first they can shoot.
:lol: I'm nominating you to be the next FIFA president

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Love this idea @NoPace

What about a 1-on-1 with the keeper? Where both the player and gk start some distance away. Not all that dissimilar from hockey
It was trialed in the 90s as an alternative to penalty shootouts. Most boring shootout I ever watched. The odds do get better for the goalie, mind, only 3 scored, 4 barely looked liked pros and 1 idiot ran out of time faffing about.

Sterling Archer

It was trialed in the 90s as an alternative to penalty shootouts. Most boring shootout I ever watched. The odds do get better for the goalie, mind, only 3 scored, 4 barely looked liked pros and 1 idiot ran out of time faffing about.
Aye, we found a few videos of them above. They're different that's for sure. Since the goalies seem to save more, maybe this is the type of option for a softer, "yellow card" pen as suggested in the op?

antohan

Aye, we found a few videos of them above. They're different that's for sure. Since the goalies seem to save more, maybe this is the type of option for a softer, "yellow card" pen as suggested in the op?
Nah, they were a bad alternative to shootouts and using them in-game would be bizarre with everyone else having to hang around at the halfway line and watch. I'm all for @duffer 's charge as a better alternative.

Or maybe we just don't need yellow card penalties but a wider scope for indirect free kicks?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
:lol:
This reminds me of one if my favorite stories from my dad who participated with his school in a school against school tug of war (rope war? Rope pulling? Not sure of the right name) competition. For some reason the rules dictated that both teams had to start on different sides of a pitch with the rope lying on the ground in the middle. At a blow of a whistle both teams had to run to the rope, take their determined position and start pulling.
However, my dad's school had a guy who was so quick that he was able to reach the rope, grab it, turn around and run away with it (and win the match) before the other team could reach it. They won multiple rounds because of him and made it almost to the nationwide level before they faced a team with an equally quick guy who eliminated them because when it then came to pulling the team was actually quite weak.

NoPace

Japanese women eliminated on at best a yellow card or half penalty. Maybe if they change the handball rules they can do without it, but right now it's ruining a ton of games.

macheda14

Japanese women eliminated on at best a yellow card or half penalty. Maybe if they change the handball rules they can do without it, but right now it's ruining a ton of games.
If they are having every version of handball (intentional/unintentional) be a foul in the box, have intentional ones or ones that are denying a goal be pens and others be indirect freekicks inside the box

Ed9

There should be one player on the bench tripping balls on LSD who would take these pens. Would be fun (maybe not for him).

shiranaiotoko

Accidental hand never should be a pen, which is almost a certain goal. Hand, which prevents goal or pass for clear position, sure, but rebounds never. Freekick should be enough. If it didn't happened in the middle of penalty box it's not that easy to score. With VAR almost all games end with at least penalty. It doesn't make sense.

Terminator

Agreed. Hate it when games are ruined because of penalties due to soft fouls. Some alternative would be great!

antohan

:lol:
This reminds me of one if my favorite stories from my dad who participated with his school in a school against school tug of war (rope war? Rope pulling? Not sure of the right name) competition. For some reason the rules dictated that both teams had to start on different sides of a pitch with the rope lying on the ground in the middle. At a blow of a whistle both teams had to run to the rope, take their determined position and start pulling.
However, my dad's school had a guy who was so quick that he was able to reach the rope, grab it, turn around and run away with it (and win the match) before the other team could reach it. They won multiple rounds because of him and made it almost to the nationwide level before they faced a team with an equally quick guy who eliminated them because when it then came to pulling the team was actually quite weak.
And that's exactly why a proper tug of war doesn't work that way. I know what you mean though, have participated in that "run for the rope mode" but it's a setup more appropriate for Takeshi's Castle.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Refs need to use the rules that apply for indirect free kicks instead of pretending they don’t exist.
Exactly. When you impede a players progress (most call it obstruction even though that's not a real term) it's supposed to be an indirect free kick. However, refs constantly give penalties if it happens inside the 18.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They need to do this for lots of things, a red card is a red card in the first minute or the last minute, feck the spectacle apply the laws of the game.

Twattenberg admitted that referees, himself especially manage the games for the best spectacle and not by the laws, which is why decisions arent given that are clear cut and players seemingly are free to do what they want in regards to fouls and bad sportsmanship as it all depends on who its against and how “dramatic” it is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Why don't all football play with their hands tied behind their back (except the keeper) that way they will never handle the ball and we'll see who's actually good at football and not just being well balanced.

Hughes35

Indirect free kicks for soft fouls, soft unintentional handballs that don't stop goals would be the best thing to happen to football in ages. Indirect free kicks from close range are awesome entertainment. Much more exciting than a penalty and it would be fairer + there would be more of them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When I watch MOTDs from the mid to late 90s indirect free kicks in the box actually used to be given for obstructions and high foots.They'd be given as penalties now.

I actually think OP has a good point. A free shot from 12 yards is too harsh for many of those handballs. Think a system where penalties are given for handballs when ball is going towards goal or another player is fair. ones like CL final when there was no other Liverpool player Mane was passing to is very harsh.