Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man-United

Pathetic defending on the second goal. Watching the replay even more embarrassing.

PitTon

What was he thinking for the first goal conceded?
Pathetic defending on the second goal. Watching the replay even more embarrassing.
The first goal as well. Why did he stay up there with their left back and not go back to his position is just crazy. The second I saw it I know we are in trouble as we all know how fast and quality that left back is. Fred and Lindelof may be at fault too but AWB is the first one I blame for.

OrcaFat

He is very good in the defensive full back position. Excellent in fact - the stats back that up.

He’s not so great when he gets drawn into the centre and his attacking play needs more development. Good thing is he is only 22 and got a very useful year of experience under his belt. Eventually we need another RB to properly compete for his place but it would be about 10th on the list of priorities.

Overall he’s done well.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good first season overall. Needs some development

romufc

It isn't surprising that the same fans who are Ole out are here criticising AWB and Ole's transfers.

Short term memories most fans have, agreed he was poor last night but seriously get a grip.

This is his first season in a club like United, we have gone from a defensive only team to a team who wants to attack, he has played alot of football and it can be mentally tiring as well.

He needs a break, 2 weeks off and come back refreshed raring to go.

Skåre Willoch

I still have huge hopes for AWB, but he really, really can't get away with that "defense" on their second goal. Even though it was probably Linelöfs man to defend, AWB just didn't give a feck. He gave up. Or even worse, he didn't even make an effort, so he wasn't even in the position to give up. Lindelöf and Maguire should really give him a proper hard time for that one for a while.

He'll learn from that. Hopefully. And he should spend the majority of the break working on his crossing. If he does, he'll be world class.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I find him to have the whole package as a modern fullback, and imo it's only about time before it all comes together. The fact that he is only 22 and seems to be fit most of the time is a huge positive too.
He is very good at keeping the ball in tight areas and getting out of sticky situations, pace in abundance, and a great tackler too. Maybe he is instructed to play slightly more reserved offensively, or it could be a mental issue. Either way i see so much potential in him.

For me, a bigger issue is our left-back, with Shaw getting so many annoying injuries that kinda disrupts the balance of the team.

Craig Ward

Had a poor game, poor on the ball and caught out a lot by Sevilla.

He was doubled up on and not as solid as he usually is.

I think he's forgotten how to pass too.

A night to forget for him.

Web of Bissaka

Rubbish shit defending for both goals.
1st goal - jog back.. not quick enough to block that cross.
2nd goal - not getting close enough, and leave it to freaking fate? He just let the player be, easy goal.

Two things I realize this season which are his weaknesses
1. Take ages to get back when we're being countered. He's quick and pacy but seems to be lazy, just jogging... seems he lacks danger awareness too.
2. Decisions making on who to mark, and when he did, usually he's not tight/close enough.

His ability to time his sliding tackle well is his only saving grace.

Couple that with his weakness in the air, and people seriously think we should try him at CB...

studs

The blind faith in this thread, he will never come good. Not worth 50ml shocking.

snowkarl

I find him to have the whole package as a modern fullback, and imo it's only about time before it all comes together. The fact that he is only 22 and seems to be fit most of the time is a huge positive too.
He is very good at keeping the ball in tight areas and getting out of sticky situations, pace in abundance, and a great tackler too. Maybe he is instructed to play slightly more reserved offensively, or it could be a mental issue. Either way i see so much potential in him.

For me, a bigger issue is our left-back, with Shaw getting so many annoying injuries that kinda disrupts the balance of the team.
:houllier: full package? He has potential but he is probably the most specialized and limited full back we have ever had.

He is athletic and good at tackling. Literally nothing else.

The modern full back is smart, technical, creates chances, has a good touch and cross. If you've ever watched AWB play, I'm sure none of those would be used to describe him...

If he named Ashley or Antonio he'd be getting burned at the stake.

romufc

Two things I realize this season which are his weaknesses
1. Take ages to get back when we're being countered. He's quick and pacy but seems to be lazy, just jogging... seems he lacks danger awareness too.
2. Decisions making on who to mark, and when he did, usually he's not tight/close enough.
I have noticed this alot about him, the slack that Luke Shaw gets back about jogging back yet AWB gets caught out of position and nothing is said.

I hope Ole has a word with him, I like to see my defenders sprint back if they are out of position.

MS4

The blind faith in this thread, he will never come good. Not worth 50ml shocking.
You are one of these fans who would sell 50% of the team after every defeat.
Maguire too expensive - get rid. AWB and Shaw not good enough. Lindelof too weak. Rashford overhyped. Matic too old and Fred too hectic.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
So bad they had to take their best player off because he was getting no joy on that left side of his. Makes sense.

I know the new meme phrase is 'AWB is tired/knackered/gassed' because people have just started pointing out the jogging thing - but he's been doing it all season long, in every match.

Here's a few examples - and they're solely examples from goals against us because I don't know how to make my own videos. There have been many more egregious examples that haven't ended up in a goal.

EDIT - Sorry, I'm not allowed to post media yet - but don't want to make a big claim without providing any examples so have had to mess with the links a bit.

streamable. com/bodw1
streamable. com/ffpy1
streamable. com/6pb0wy - this one was literally for a CL place. You just keep expecting to see him, finally, appear in picture at some point but he never does.

He's been doing the jogging act all season, and it's absolutely unacceptable. His other issues, like drifting centrally when the opposition are attacking down our left, being terrible at defending aerial balls and leaving his man in acres because he's trying to 'bait' a slide tackle are bad - but pale compared to the lack of basic effort.

streamja. com/jn1Gl - quick example of his poor positioning. I've noticed Lindelof literally having to baby him through games in terms of positioning. In this example, Lindelof is doing something that Bissaka should have done for him last night. Tell him there's a man on his 'blind side'. Not really a blind side in this case because you can see that AWB notices him but chooses not to track him until it's too late.

There's also this, now semi-famous image of Vidic, Lizarazu, Lindelof all getting exasperated with him: i.imgur. com/xv0NXVO.jpg

jem

What was he thinking for the first goal conceded?

The first goal as well. Why did he stay up there with their left back and not go back to his position is just crazy. The second I saw it I know we are in trouble as we all know how fast and quality that left back is. Fred and Lindelof may be at fault too but AWB is the first one I blame for.
I just rewatched the goals, and he was absolutely to blame for the first as well. He just gets flat out beaten for pace by the guy who put the cross in. Considering his complete switching off on the second goal, it's fair to see AWB had an absolute defensive shocker to go along with his usual non-contribution at the other end of the pitch.

studs

Maguire too expensive - get rid. AWB and Shaw not good enough. Lindelof too weak. Rashford overhyped. Matic too old and Fred too hectic.
Listen pal, you don't know me, so stop assuming. Maguire I have no problems with same as everyone else you mentioned AWB should have never been bought in the first place.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Mostly decent when defending but still shocking going forward, it's like he's never kicked a ball before. If he ever puts in a decent cross I'll faint. Really bothers me that he appears to be yet another of these soulless characters we've been collecting in recent years. Is he just here for the money? I hope he actually gives a damn about winning and the club.

studs

He's 22 and has had some outstanding games for us in his debut season. Get a grip.
New player syndrome, puts on a good show then all the fans over rate him. Never been outstanding to me.

red4ever 79

Nah, he's just not what you need from a modern day fullback. Not good enough technically or going forwards. We need better if we want to win the Premier league.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was one of those who was delighted when we signed him, but realise now his attacking play is just embarrassing. I honestly can't recall him ever putting a decent cross in or creating an assist. Even when he has time he never clears the first man.
Sigh. He’s got 4 assists in the PL this season. 5th highest in the squad. More than he already did for Crystal Palace. More than Shaw. More than Pogba. He’s also one of our highest rated players on whoscored.Com

Progress.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/32/Show/England-Manchester-United#team-squad-stats-passing

The problem, as much as you all want to scapegoat him for the entire team attacking prowess is that he’s entirely alone most of the time on the right flank. Yet he’s still made progress. In his first season.
Add a RW to free up space and you’ll see him progress even more.

Embarrassing? I think you need to think on that.

Someone else said that Valencia in his second last season was better. Is this the same player that used to run forward, stop, them pass backwards? Or the one who’d hit shins of the first defender on every cross?

Everyone is overthinking this shit.

Get a quality RW/RWF and the rest will follow.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's generally been an excellent defender over the season, and very few have got by him, and he hasn't made many mistakes.

Unfortunately because he wasn't great yesterday, and that was the most recent game, and a defeat - then obviously all the fickles get on his case.

People keep on about how attacking a full back has to be because of TAA at Liverpool.
But their team is built totally differently. How many assists or goals do their midfield produce? How many does Firmino produce?

How many assists did Kyle Walker get this season for example?

I'll tell you - 4, same as Wan Bissaka

Okey

Let's go easy on AWB. Overall he's had a good first season with the huge step up in level at his age. His attacking play is highly deficient but might improve. I'd say let's put a proper right winger in front of him first then see how/if that changes things.

MS4

Listen pal, you don't know me, so stop assuming. Maguire I have no problems with same as everyone else you mentioned AWB should have never been bought in the first place.
Pretty arrogant that you give advice now after you started with assuming. "He will never", "the blind faith" - you over-simplifing level 100 but you complain when people give you feedback.
Get a grip - what someone else already suggested.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's 22 and has had some outstanding games for us in his debut season. Get a grip.
I am not against AWB or for him. He had good season. First part great, second part bellow average. But that argument that he is 22 is killing me. He can be 22,19 or 26. He can't improve what he doesn't have and that is skill on the ball. Ball control, passing, technique.
Also as i mentioned on other thread; the thing which is absolutely unacceptable for young player is to being casual. His jogging in defence which he does a lot is scary shit to see from young player. But that and positioning are things that he can improve so if he will become best defensive fb around, i will be happy.

Foxbatt

Could it be that he could not sprint back? I am not defending him but that could be a reason. He has been doubled up most of the time, an got no help from Greenwood at all. Many times, when FBs do not sprint back it means they simply didn't have it any more at that moment in time to sprint back.
He should be taught to play that cross pass or the pass behind the Cbs early so that Martial can get on to it instead of trying to get to the byline before crossing.

Blood Mage

I am not against AWB or for him. He had good season. First part great, second part bellow average. But that argument that he is 22 is killing me. He can be 22,19 or 26. He can't improve what he doesn't have and that is skill on the ball. Ball control, passing, technique.
Also as i mentioned on other thread; the thing which is absolutely unacceptable for young player is to being casual. His jogging in defence which he does a lot is scary shit to see from young player. But that and positioning are things that he can improve so if he will become best defensive fb around, i will be happy.
For me, this is why I think and hope he will be turned into a CB.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I am not sure if there is a better 1 on 1 defender in world football, however, how is it that a 46 year old, out of shape, beer drinking, Sunday leaguer (myself) can put in a better cross than AWB can

Status
Not open for further replies.