Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-mal

The first goal was not his fault.
The goal was his first. He failed to put a tackle and refused to recover to cover the ovelap.
Honesty I feel we got robbed for what we paid for him. His is so far from his valuation that I am hoping Palace get relegated for this thievery.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How on earth am I agreeing with you about something?

AWB was not money well spent at all. He isnt that great at football I must say.
What a strange comment. Why wouldn't you agree with me? Is it because of my views on Pogba?

sammyhol

Can’t remember if it was Maldini or Baresi who said something to the effect of “if you have to make a slide tackle, it’s because you’ve already made a mistake.”

Pretty damning indictment of a defender whose entire highlight reel is last ditch slide tackles...

Simply not a good enough footballer to be playing champions league football. With a fit, in form Shaw next season (who himself probably isn’t top class), Laird and Williams should be pushing AWB for a starting place. But with the 50mil price tag and the overhyping he gets with every long leg slide tackle, Ole will feel the pressure to start him.

E-mal

What a strange comment. Why wouldn't you agree with me? Is it because of my views on Pogba?
Well yes. Sometimes I feel your criticism of some players especially Paul can be over the top.
In general AWB is not a bad player but can easily be upgraded upon and that's damning after paying north of 45m pounds on a RB.

Suedesi

Bissaka was atrocious on both goals

Look at the first one (granted Lindeloff wasn't perfect, but AWB got pulled out of position and got beaten on the easy one-two)

Elementary mistake.

And then for the second goal he's looking ahead while the ball is being played in the zone when he's marking the only Sevilla player.

Negative football IQ. Clear the fecking ball, don't hop around like an idiot

50 milllion quid, JFC!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well yes. Sometimes I feel your criticism of some players especially Paul can be over the top.
In general AWB is not a bad player but can easily be upgraded upon and that's damning after paying north of 45m pounds on a RB.
Just don't think Pogba is as good as people say he is. He was shite first half today. Played really well for 30 mins in second half and then quiet again last 15. I just want more from him. He's not once been World class in a Utd shirt.

And back to AWB...... The lad just isn't good enough. So many weaknesse it's scary.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's great 1v1 but, currently, that's about all there is to his game. He needs to work on his positioning and heading to even be a top defensive full back.

LJJT

Terrible post lockdown. Looks physically and mentally shattered. Looks lost on the pitch at fault for both their goals in my view. Don’t understand why he’s so tired

Zoo

A needed break and he’ll be back to his best next season.

Pace Abuser

Valencia mark 2. I can't understand why this club has given up on signing technically sound players. We just love shit-on-the-ball players.

SirAnderson

Fact or Fiction?

AWB is a braindead footballer with no first touch, no defensive awareness and generally poor in the offensive phase of the game.
According to @Suedesi its a fact. I concede the fact that his offensive part of his game is lacking. Braindead all-round though?

I unfortunately don't have the fortitude nor patience to refute such a ridiculous claim/belief, so maybe the Cafe can come to the rescue. Alternatively, lock the thread before it goes to the second page and accept that certain posts (and threads, like this one) are just :houllier:

Skills

Snitch
I wouldn't put it quite like that, but he lacks both offensive and defensive awareness. Not sure why you've created this thread though.

Flexdegea

Shite thread but starting to think hes not good enough, maybe it's the beer :lol:

Red00012

Needs a lot of coaching going forward , needs to know that you can tackle without going to ground also.

Went for a nap for the 2nd goal

But saved us with that tackle v Copenhagen just a few days ago .

Brain dead is a very harsh statement

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
At fault for both of their goals, but to call him brain-dead is part of the hyperbole that's an endemic to this forum whenever absolutely everything doesn't go right. He just had a shit game.

E-mal

This thread is brain dead though.
AWB is not a very good footballer, and we won't play beyond his quality.

SirAnderson

This thread is brain dead though.
AWB is not a very good footballer, and we won't play beyond his quality.
I did say it was. Right there in the OP.

Weird, when there was a time this season where he was contender for player of the season for us before Bruno came in. Or maybe I was just imagining it.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Apart from sliding around on his arse what is good at?

Terrible on the ball, lacks the engine to get up down at full pelt, defensive positions suspect. But he puts in a slide tackle. 50m well spent.

shahzy

English youth coaching isnt about teaching youngsters how to play. They teach how to do the basics and thats it such as tackle in the case of a RB. He needs to be coached on how to play in an attacking sense. He will improve if he receives such coaching. Its on all the coaches to improve a player like him. Id guarentee he'd be playing differently under a manager that actually tells the players exactly what to do ala Guardiola. Granted guardiola would probably sell him because he doesnt have the close control/dribbling required for the style of play he would like to play

Fooza

Apart from sliding around on his arse what is good at?

Terrible on the ball, lacks the engine to get up down at full pelt, defensive positions suspect. But he puts in a slide tackle. 50m well spent.
Only reason why we ain't getting rid of him, and age too. Alot of us hoping somehow he will improve his offensive ability as he ages but it won't happen.

For me it's simple, Liverpool have TAA, we have AWB. The contrast between the two is huge, say's it all at how much we have to catch them.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Not surprised to see some pretty grim insults hurled at him tonight. Sums up this forum.

He has undoubtedly has a successful season. Defensively he's been ace overall. His tackling is just ridiculous.

He needs to improve going forward. Fortunately, he did improve going forward as the season went on. Noticeably.

There was fatigue towards the end of the season and that's understandable given the distance he consistently covers.

Cracking player. People say we overpaid, I wouldn't take 50m for him if it was offered now.

spiriticon

Having watched the replay for the 2nd goal again it's definitely more Wan-Bissaka's fault than Lindelof's.

Ball watching

Revan

Assumptionman
The sooner Laird permanently displaced him, the happier I will be. He is so limited going forward that he needs to be a prime Thuram at defense to compensate for that. And he is not a prime Thuram, which makes him a total liability.

el3mel

Not surprised to see some pretty grim insults hurled at him tonight. Sums up this forum.

He has undoubtedly has a successful season. Defensively he's been ace overall. His tackling is just ridiculous.

He needs to improve going forward. Fortunately, he did improve going forward as the season went on. Noticeably.

There was fatigue towards the end of the season and that's understandable given the distance he consistently covers.

Cracking player. People say we overpaid, I wouldn't take 50m for him if it was offered now.
Overrating him isn't really any different than insulting him either imo.

Hulme91

He's targeted by every team we play against
They press when he receives the ball and they don't bother marking him when we're in the attacking third
I think he deserves another year to show improvement but if that improvement doesn't come the club will have to buy a replacement.. you can't get away with being that poor offensively in the modern game as full back

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Did he have a stroke for the second goal? Literally no opposition in a 15m radius of him to mark and he lets him loose. Completely made sense why some say footballers are just dense as feck.

el3mel

Of course it is, he gets sucked out and then lets his man run 50 yards unopposed with barely an ounce of an attempt to actually get goal side. He even slowed down half way through for no reason.
Yeah he was an absolute disaster in this first goal. Was jogging there as if it means nothing. Didn't care one bit about actually trying to stop their attacker.

They were targeting him all the time during first half. Though to be fair, he immensely upped his game in second half, but fecked it up again in the second goal out of nowhere.

jem

I agree that on balance he's had a good season, but I do worry about him. Obviously he's young and so has time to develop, but he certainly has a way to go to justify the expense, in my opinion.

Reiver

I still rate him although he hasn't finished strongly. I think he'd benefit from some genuine competition for a starting spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.