Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Well it is. Obviously.

One is giving an opinion. The other is hurling insults.
Not really both are just extremes. Saying he's ace and "Cracking player" is as extreme as you can get, and not different from saying he's absolutely rubbish or brain dead for me. Just one looks positive and the other negative.

He had a decent 7/10 season. Anything more than that is a stretch. Also he's definitely not a "cracking player". I don't open the game looking forward to watch what he'll do with the ball.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Not really both are just extremes. Saying he's ace and "Cracking player" is as extreme as you can get, and not different from saying he's absolutely rubbish or brain dead for me. Just one looks positive and the other negative.

He had a decent 7/10 season. Anything more than that is a stretch. Also he's definitely not a "cracking player". I don't open the game looking forward to watch what he'll do with the ball.
Saying he's a cracking player is not extreme.

If someone said they don't believe he's good enough and gave reasons why, that would be something I'd disagree with but I wouldn't take issue with it.

Hurling insults at a young player in his first season is different entirely.

Your logic is all over the place.

el3mel

If someone said they don't believe he's good enough and gave reasons why, that would be something I'd disagree with but I wouldn't take issue with it.

Your post is pretty much "overrating" as you can get. Cracking player, wouldn't take 50m for him, ace defensively, if this isn't overrating a player I don't know what overrating is.

Similarly, if you said he had a good season but needs to improve on some of his aspects it would have been as reasonable as what you're asking from his critics, instead you responded by just going to the other extreme and massively overrating him.

He had a decent 7/10 season, but he hasn't been "ace" defensively, hasn't been "cracking player" and overall 50m is still overpaying for him.

E-mal

Quite extreme.
We overpaid for him and I would take 50m now if we are giving the option.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Your post is pretty much "overrating" as you can get. Cracking player, wouldn't take 50m for him, ace defensively, if this isn't overrating a player I don't know what overrating is.

Similarly, if you said he had a good season but needs to improve on some of his aspects it would have been as reasonable as what you're asking from his critics, instead you responded by just going to the other extreme and massively overrating him.

He had a decent 7/10 season, but he hasn't been "ace" defensively, hasn't been "cracking player" and overall 50m is still overpaying for him.
But the point is that its an opinion. As I said, if you don't fancy him and provided reasons as to why, that's fine. Insulting him or any other player, or the manager, is pathetic. You surely agree?

Because you're currently saying that claiming he's 'brain dead' is on the same level as me believing he's a cracking player, which is perfectly within reason.

el3mel

But the point is that its an opinion. As I said, if you don't fancy him and provided reasons as to why, that's fine. Insulting him or any other player, or the manager, is pathetic. You surely agree?

Because you're currently saying that claiming he's 'brain dead' is on the same level as me believing he's a cracking player, which is perfectly within reason.
I see both as extremes but of course I'm against insulting any player, don't disagree with that.

E-mal

That's fine. Do you think its equal to personally insulting him? As that's the debate I'm now having.
That's unacceptable. He isn't good enough but he's not a donkey or brain death.

In my honest opinion he's not better than a squad option but a starting player he's not.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
And go out and get who?
That is pretty lame argument which is common here lately. Regarding every player and coach. There are dozens and dozens full backs on the market. How much any of them would cost or would he be better or not than AWB nobody can't say. We payed 50mil for him, he is young, good in defence, not much in attack. We shall see how he will perform next year.

But imo, for 50 mil you buy complete full back. Not fb who can't attack.

SwedishFish

That is pretty lame argument which is common here lately. Regarding every player and coach. There are dozens and dozens full backs on the market. How much any of them would cost or would he be better or not than AWB nobody can't say. We payed 50mil for him, he is young, good in defence, not much in attack. We shall see how he will perform next year.

But imo, for 50 mil you buy complete full back. Not fb who can't attack.
We bought him from a Premier League side and he's English. Of course, he costs a lot.

We could've done with someone who's better in attack but the right side of defense is far from our biggest concern right now.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We won’t win a premier league title with Aaron Wan-Bissaka as starting right back.

This day & age full backs have to be able to play football. He can’t

Suedesi

We bought him from a Premier League side and he's English. Of course, he costs a lot.

We could've done with someone who's better in attack but the right side of defense is far from our biggest concern right now.
Except when it costs a couple of goals to bounce us off a European competition.

RUCK4444

I can’t wait for us to sign a fullback who can attack so we can concede more. Yay.

These Trent copies don’t exist for a start.

SwedishFish

Except when it costs a couple of goals to bounce us off a European competition.
Don't think he's solely to blame for that. The fact that we have no decent cover for left-back is far worse IMO. I hope someone can step up and compete with him though as Fosu-Mensah isn't good enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I can’t wait for us to sign a fullback who can attack so we can concede more. Yay.

Is there some rule where full back who is good in attack can't defend? I don't expect from fb to be new Trent or Cafu or Dani Alves. I like fb like Irwin, Shaw, Carvajal. Good on the ball and reliable in defence and attack.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Him and Maguire were terrible buys. That's on Ole.
There you are again. In fairness Jose desperately wanted Maguire too. So he was clearly on the radar.

Neither are perfect but they have considerably improved Utd.

RUCK4444

Is there some rule where full back who is good in attack can't defend? I don't expect from fb to be new Trent or Cafu or Dani Alves. I like fb like Irwin, Shaw, Carvajal. Good on the ball and reliable in defence and attack.
Don’t get me wrong if there was one available I would be all for it. Like I said I don’t think many exist.

I also believe at this stage of squad building that what we would gain from an attacking fullback would more than lose for having a poor defensive fullback.

People like to demand these players but I’m not aware of many that are very good at both aspects and the ones that are aren’t available.

Blood Mage

Not sure what's happened to him, he was brilliant defensively before the lockdown albeit average going forward. Now he can barely defend and is even worse going forward. Looks like he's lost confidence to me.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not sure what's happened to him, he was brilliant defensively before the lockdown albeit average going forward. Now he can barely defend and is even worse going forward. Looks like he's lost confidence to me.
He was never brilliant defensively, it was the classical ‘new signing syndrome’ that every player gets (like how Darmian was a classical Italian defender cause he once defended well a corner). AWB has the Spider-Man tackle but the mediocre positioning and awful ability in aerial duels was always there (and of course, his main weakness that he is just awful on the ball).

Once some time passed, he got exposed for what he is. A decent defender with an amazing attribute but who has serious limitations defensively and who is useless going forward. If we paid 20m for him to be a squad player it would have been grand, for 55m though, we got robbed. And willingly so.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The CL next season, every weakness he has will be thoroughly exploited.
I would love to see him in a direct battle against Neymar.

The most agile dribbler in the world vs a guy who specializes in tackling.

King Andow

There you are again. In fairness Jose desperately wanted Maguire too. So he was clearly on the radar.

Neither are perfect but they have considerably improved Utd.
They replaced Young and Smalling, when not Jones and Rojo, that's not saying much. We won't win anything with both as starters.

twitter thread suggester
The worst part is that we probably won’t replace him any time soon due to his fee and recent arrival.

He is so poor on the ball. Just invites pressure and panic.

gajender

He is not great defensively he was poor offensively but his limitations as a defender are also being exploited more and more as the season has progressed he is young so there is a possibility he would improve ,but I don't think we would lose much if we bring in attacking fullback if he continues in the same vein.

thepolice123

Was typical AWB performance. Nullified their main threat Ocampos and made him rage quit to the bench, switched off for their goal and generally poor on the ball.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's a full back who lacks composure on the ball when under pressure or being closed down, can dribble to beat his man (one of the best full back in successful dribble), the best in one v one situation, good tackler & intercepting the ball. However, not tracking his man and unable to sense the danger were really his weakness. Proven enough that he used to be winger in academy. The first goal he was few second too late to sprint back which allow Reguion to get a head start. The second goal not to follow your man is so poor. Not the first time I have seen him done these. I hope he learns this as he's still 22 years old.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Needs some good competition for his spot as well as a good back up to keep his minutes in check.

The season as it is, takes mental fatigue even before the physical attrition.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When he gets tired he starts to do really dumb shit. He also basically just stops providing what little attacking threat he would normal provide.

E-mal

He was never brilliant defensively, it was the classical ‘new signing syndrome’ that every player gets (like how Darmian was a classical Italian defender cause he once defended well a corner). AWB has the Spider-Man tackle but the mediocre positioning and awful ability in aerial duels was always there (and of course, his main weakness that he is just awful on the ball).

Once some time passed, he got exposed for what he is. A decent defender with an amazing attribute but who has serious limitations defensively and who is useless going forward. If we paid 20m for him to be a squad player it would have been grand, for 55m though, we got robbed. And willingly so.
That's my biggest heart break. Not often you go looking for an upgrade on a 55m great British pounds signing after just a single season.
But we have to look for an upgrade either in the mould of someone from the academy or a bargain that is much better.

UncleBob

AWB the entire season. If you understand the fundamentals of his position he performs them well enough with respect to his attacking duties week in week out.
And how would you describe the fundamentals of his position?

E-mal

We need a proper RW infront of him, he can't provide width and it hurts us.
I doubt someone like Sancho will enjoy playing with him. He looks so limited on the ball that I sometimes wonder if he is premier league quality.

There was a moment in the first half when he was on the ball in our own half free and not under pressure. Then there was Greenwood been marked. He decided to go with mason despite other options and it was a a yard pass, he missed it and we lost possession.

He is genuinely a poor footballer technically. So many easy passess and crosses he couldn't execute and his reading of the game is abysmal.

Those having a go at Lindelof and Williams, he was by far the worst player on the pitch today and not exaggerating.

Williams was not helped by Rashford trying to channel his inner Messi vs Bayern performance unlike AWB who had a lot of help from Greenwood.

E-mal

Yeah, he's no Danny Simpson.
You say that in jest but the point is we can't win the league playing lime Leceister city where Simpson was not asked to be good in tight spaces and going forward. Man Utd won't play like Leicester, hence the need to get someone technically proficient on the ball.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I did say it was. Right there in the OP.

Weird, when there was a time this season where he was contender for player of the season for us before Bruno came in. Or maybe I was just imagining it.
Only people thinking that don't understand the game. You can't get player of the year for being a good tackler. He's poor or awful at every other aspect to his game. It's been evident since way before lockdown as I and a few others on this thread called him out for it. Because he's a new signing people got carried away though.

Steve 007

I think you have to remember that AWB is still young and raw. There’s lots of critics of our defence this season which is unjust as we have conceded 3 less than liverpool and 2 less than City.
AWB is the best right back we’ve had since Neville, he is a fantastic tackler, we all know that he is not great at going forward but he is young and slowly getting better. Give the defence one more season and add another quality centre back and we’ll talk again.

There’s been a lot of progress this season especially since January where we’ve arguably been the best team in the country, we lack depth, our players are knackered. Let’s not let a bad result in a game we played well in get us down.

Gordon S

The amazing slidetackling aside, he is rather average at everything else.

For a team that wants to dominate and attack a lot, like us, it is important to have fullbacks that can give you something special in attack, just look at how important Ricardo was for Leicester and how they dropped when he got injured.

We obviously wont buy two new fbs for next season but that would elevate us a lot imo. Like Telles and Ricardo perhaps..

Status
Not open for further replies.