Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Explain. Explain how he is at fault for the second goal. In the mood to hear stupid stuff.
He was marking that player ffs. And then he just switched off. Yes, Lindelof is at fault also. Of course he is but AWB should and must marked De Jong.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Explain. Explain how he is at fault for the second goal. In the mood to hear stupid stuff.
Communication.

Also until Lindelöf is picking up the man (which he should do) you don't just leave him.

Both of them are guilty for being too passive and not taking charge of the situation.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He has time to improve at 22 but overall, this is not the type of right back I wanted. Makes it worse when you see the way Liverpool had played with their fullbacks or Bayern recently.
This. It's not that he is bad player but he is completely the wrong type that we need.

He was responsible for both of the goals but ofcourse the media and pundits will slate only Lindelof ( who was equally at fault).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I like him, despite overpaying, needs to prepare himself for CL matches or he'll get annihilated like the rest of our defense.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

He has time to improve at 22 but overall, this is not the type of right back I wanted. Makes it worse when you see the way Liverpool had played with their fullbacks or Bayern recently.
There's areas he can improve on, but I don't think you can improve your overall technique at 22.

You either have it by now or you don't.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
There's areas he can improve on, but I don't think you can improve your overall technique at 22.

There's aspects he can improve, I've seen players improve their passing and crossing. But there are for sure aspects he won't ever have. He can't dribble, he can't improve positionally, he'll always be very awkward on the ball.

Ace of Spades

He offers almost nothing in attack, so he should be doing much better in defence. Had a very poor game, and looked very lazy not doing the basics like not letting your player go. If he just does that then we probably would not have conceded.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

That’s not true. Gary Neville improved his crossing and overlapping tenfold. The difference though is that he had a partner to overlap with. Judge AWB when he’s not alone on the right side of the pitch and when it’s not his first season and only second season in full football as a RB

jesperjaap

So wrong mate. Fullbacks are so important in this day and age. He can't do half of the job required and he's even doing badly at the defending right now.

Awful player. Nowhere near the standard we need. He can't pass or play football
He cant pass or play football, deary me. He is actually decent moving with the ball and his crossing is improving, it shis first season and he has finished it badly. He has a lot to improve on of course. His positioning and decision making with the ball of what to do and when is weak at the moment but he cant pass or play football, again, deary me

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes not good enough on the ball and in the air

Kurton

Would play Williams at right-back when Shaw is back from injury, he might make mistakes but at least right wing wouldn't be dead in the attack. Teams just overload their box and we'll again be saying keeper is having a worldie. Few tackles isn't enough to make up for lack of attacking contribution especially when he's being shit in defense as well.

Eddy_JukeZ

That’s not true. Gary Neville improved his crossing and overlapping tenfold. The difference though is that he had a partner to overlap with. Judge AWB when he’s not alone on the right side of the pitch and when it’s not his first season and only second season in full football as a RB
I was more-so going on about his technique on the ball(dribbling and ball carrying).

jesperjaap

Yes this is a point that is being missed by many. As good as Greenwood has been, he isnt playing as a winger, he is cutting inside, AWB is often isolated when he has the ball since Greenwood has been in the side and this seems to have led to more mistakes and affeected his confidence, partly why he has finished the season so badly. But the stick he is getting is shocking, he has had a decent first season and been one of the better full back sin the league. Just as he was being overhyped before Xmas as its obvious thre are many parts to his game need lots of improving, its gone the othe rway now to him being a really poor full back, totally disagree

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Even if he is at his technical limit, improving his movement and positioning on and off the ball could take him up notches and give him substantially more time to use what technique he has to affect play offensively.

We're not getting rid of him any time soon, so we have to work with what he is and try to improve him. I have my doubts about him in an offensive capacity (which I've mentioned a lot these past months), but I believe with proper coaching he can be a considerably better player than the raw one we're seeing currently.

I think frequent drills can improve certain aspects of his technique (particularly crossing and first-time passing) so wouldn't write him off as of yet. Problem with him, however, is his potential best is miles off what qualifies as a world class right back in the current game.

Cloud7

I'm not sold on him being our long term RB at all. He offers barely anything going forward. Fullbacks are one of the most important facets of a proper attack in modern football. We won't ever get back to the very top of the game if such an important area of the pitch is occupied by a player who offers so little in that respect.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He cant pass or play football, deary me. He is actually decent moving with the ball and his crossing is improving, it shis first season and he has finished it badly. He has a lot to improve on of course. His positioning and decision making with the ball of what to do and when is weak at the moment but he cant pass or play football, again, deary me
Give up the sport mate. Football isn't for you if you think hes anywhere near good enough on the ball. He's tragic. Very much a Crystal Palace standard player. Great tackler and that's it. No good for us when we want to become a progressive side again and play football. He's only use is when we sit back deep and defend. That's his lot.

jesperjaap

I was more-so going on about his technique on the ball(dribbling and ball carrying).
I dont get this though, he is decent carrying the ball, its his decision making of what to do with it that is letting him down and recently his confidence seems down that he isnt driving at the full back but cutting back and getting himself in to a pickle of what to do. As someone else mentioned, if we get a proper right winger such as SAncho and he hasnt improved areas of weakness after next year, criticism is justified. One season in without a proper right winger in front of him and not to critcise Greenwood, but he doesnt really track back to help him much....and a decent season at that, its un warrented criticism for me.
I think full back is the least of our worries. Shaw and Bissaka are two good full backs who get far too much criticism on here and we have Laird and WIliams as exciting back ups, not to mention Mensah and Dalot who I would sell both of personally. Williams is more a right back, but he is getting lots of stick too I see, h ewill make mistakes, again its his first season, he is very young and inexperiened, he has had an excellent breakthrough season.

jesperjaap

Give up the sport mate. Football isn't for you if you think hes anywhere near good enough on the ball. He's tragic. Very much a Crystal Palace standard player. Great tackler and that's it. No good for us when we want to become a progressive side again and play football. He's only use is when we sit back deep and defend. That's his lot.
Give up sport because I dont agree with your opinions? Get off your shire horse you moron

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He has been fine going forward and fine 1 On 1 however he has made errors on aerial balls more recently.

Williams, Lindelof, Maguire and AWB were all poorly positioned for that cross. Williams should block it, Maguire should be in a central area, Lindelof should be on the man and if none of the above happens then the very least AWB can do is track the run.

But anyone saying he’s not good enough get your eyes tested.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There were people way before you who got even worse stick..
New player syndrome. We sign someone and our fans immediately think they are the best player going. Look at the backtracking now from many.

Truth is Maguire has been bang average at best, AWB poor and James just isn't Utd quality. Only Bruno looks a top signing to me. That's terrible return on investment for nearly 200m.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Give up sport because I dont agree with your opinions? Get off your shire horse you moron
Because if you think he's good enough you're delusional. He's not good at any of the things you claim he is. He is a good tackler but bad in the air and poor positionally. And his entire attacking side of the game is woeful. He's nowhere near good enough.

SAFMUTD

Im starting to loose my patience with him, he's so limited is certain aspects that I can see us turning on him before next season ends. 50M feels like a lot for a player of his quality.

UncleBob

He has been fine going forward and fine 1 On 1 however he has made errors on aerial balls more recently.

Williams, Lindelof, Maguire and AWB were all poorly positioned for that cross. Williams should block it, Maguire should be in a central area, Lindelof should be on the man and if none of the above happens then the very least AWB can do is track the run.

But anyone saying he’s not good enough get your eyes tested.
No, just no.

He's been awful going forward.

Maguire shouldn't be in a central area, he needs to act as cover for Williams in case the player goes past him, which leaves Lindelof and AWB to take care of one player. Lindelof ends up going miles out of position because he's only focused on watching the ball while AWB just stops tracking De Jong.

AWB was an utter disaster tonight, responsible for both goals and pretty much useless getting forward

Adnan

Talent Spotter
New player syndrome. We sign someone and our fans immediately think they are the best player going. Look at the backtracking now from many.

Truth is Maguire has been bang average at best, AWB poor and James just isn't Utd quality. Only Bruno looks a top signing to me. That's terrible return on investment for nearly 200m.
Maguire and Wan Bissaka were never good signings for the combined £130m it took to sign them. We got absolutely taken to the cleaners by the selling clubs and I was saying this in September last year with many objecting to my view.

I'd understand if we went big on Sancho but our recruitment strategy has to improve ten fold or we'll keep getting fleeced.

And it's time for Ethan Laird now..

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No, just no.

He's been awful going forward.

Maguire shouldn't be in a central area, he needs to act as cover for Williams in case the player goes past him, which leaves Lindelof and AWB to take care of one player. Lindelof ends up going miles out of position because he's only focused on watching the ball while AWB just stops tracking De Jong.

AWB was an utter disaster tonight, responsible for both goals and pretty much useless getting forward
He overlaps well. He can and often does beat a man. His crossing could improve but isn’t as terrible as the caricature of people who don’t watch the games.

cyberman

I thought he players really well outside of the goals. He flattened every attack down his side.
Crunching tackles always brings a smile to my face

UncleBob

He overlaps well. He can and often does beat a man. His crossing could improve but isn’t as terrible as the caricature of people who don’t watch the games.
No idea who you've been watching.

I still have hope that AWB will improve his weaker areas, but overall he's been bad.

UnitedFan93

Main culprit for the goal. Yes Lindelof has been dragged out of position, but AWB can see everything and should be getting goal side to cover him. It's basic defending tbh, stuff that you're told at junior level; react to the situation and get goal side.

E-mal

Because if you think he's good enough you're delusional. He's not good at any of the things you claim he is. He is a good tackler but bad in the air and poor positionally. And his entire attacking side of the game is woeful. He's nowhere near good enough.
How on earth am I agreeing with you about something?

AWB was not money well spent at all. He isnt that great at football I must say.

Copa Mundial

I was one of those who was delighted when we signed him, but realise now his attacking play is just embarrassing. I honestly can't recall him ever putting a decent cross in or creating an assist. Even when he has time he never clears the first man.

shahzy

Sure he will never be a great dribbler but he can learn when to make runs, how to make runs, positioning in attacking plays etc. An example, Messi when he has the ball in the number 10 position and has the ball and is dribbling parallel with the goal line (ie: to either side line) always looks for a chip diagonal pass to either full back making a run in behind the defence of the opposition. We dont have Messi but we do have Pogba who can make similar caliber of passes. Wan Bissaka can be taught when to make those, how to make those runs and what to do with the ball when he receives it in that position. Instead of buying a player who already knows this knowledge, our coaches are paid to actually coach. So coach this into him.

It requires no skill on the ball, it requires no dribbling ability, all it requires is Wan Bissaka being keen to learn to get better. This is just an example of how he can get better in an attacking sense, im just a guy on an armchair. Proper coaches should be able to find more ways for him to improve and if they dont then they shouldnt be coaching

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No idea who you've been watching.

I still have hope that AWB will improve his weaker areas, but overall he's been bad.
AWB the entire season. If you understand the fundamentals of his position he performs them well enough with respect to his attacking duties week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.