Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s gone from a silent wall that I could count on to shut down a flank to a kind of reckless tackle merchant that offers nothing else. Think he needs a break as I’m sure he’s a bit tired, but if he doesn’t improve either his positioning or comfortability on the ball then we will struggle for long term success.

Vaibhav Raj

I wouldn't question his defending. On most days he offers very good quality in one vs one situations. But, for a team that wants to play out from the back, he's absolutely the weakest link among the back four. Upon receiving the ball, he ponders and ponders until every team mate of his has been pressed around him. And when he releases the ball quicker, his passes go astray. He clearly doesn't have very good footballing IQ except for an impeccable tackling accuracy.

Idxomer

He isn't a good defender. His positioning today was just so bad, amateurish stuff.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The amount of stick I got on here in October..... Look at you all now. Good tackler. Crap at everything else. Awful player.

Lee565

Agreed. Mental that we’ve spent 70m on Dalot and AWB and neither are good enough.

Let’s pray Laird becomes a top player.
I would still rather put faith in dalot over that bang average 40 million fullback, at least it's possible to teach dalot to become better defensively with age on his side as well. Bissaka is a lost cause on the ball and tbh he his vastly overrated defensively.

MDFC Manager

As good as he is 1v1 he's equally poor defending the back post.
Not good enough...World class 1 on 1 defender...Below average to shite at everything else
Take him out of a 1v1 and he’s terrible. Was pathetic tonight and where is any team going trying to play it out the back with someone as limited as him.
Guys, I'm not really sure that he's even all that good 1v1. It's just that he gets in some good tackles which stick in memories (and stats).

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He's shoulder to shoulder with De Jong and let's him run off him. Same mistake Williams made for the first goal: zero awareness of the position of the runner. Just needs to stay ahead of De Jong and beat him to the ball.
That's not how football works. That's not how physics work. How does he stay ahead of De Jong when it's the guy in front of him that has to cut that lane? He's the right back, they're pinching. He has to be in position in case someone is behind him. You cover the guy behind you. Always.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
His casual jogging back for the first goal pissed me off no end. AWB awful player. Take away his one on one defending and what’s left? Not much. No defensive awareness whatsoever. And his offensive contributions are non existing.

Laird can’t be ready soon enough.

Maguire the better buy x 1000.

saivet

He isn't a good defender. His positioning today was just so bad, amateurish stuff.
His positioning has been like this for some time, just his pace and tackling has been enough to recover most situations.

criticalanalysis

Inexcusable mistakes and performances in the past 1 month or so.

I'm 'fine' with that. He has built enough of a leeway with his high peaks earlier in the eason for me to write that off. He still has lots to improve and it's worryingly how bad he has dropped off but I can live with that for now. I'm willing to give another season at the very least.

It's the Lindelofs, who AWB has essentially protecting all season that I will never have time for.

Andersons Dietician

1st goal awful, 2nd goal awful. Needs to read the situation and realise Maguire and Lindelof are out of position and he can see the whole play. He needs to see it and get on the man and do anything except what he ends up doing which is feck all.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He started well this season but had many bad games recently, and I think he is definitely one of those players who can't wait for new season to start. I don't think he is the quality we need at the moment, but I think people are writing him off too early, I think he will come good.

He's definitely cost too much though, but that's what you get with our negotiator at the club, it's not surprising at all. If someone else was interested as much as we were I reckon they would get him for at least 10 million less.

el3mel

He was absolutely garbage in the first half but imo, immensely improved in the second one.

Welbeckham

Williams is getting a lot of harsh critique, but I think overall AWB has been our weakest performer lately. Lacks too much things too be a starting RB for us and it has become painfully obvious in the latter parts of the season. Fatique may play some part in it, but he has some positional problems when defending, even if you ignore the fact that offensively he’s way below average PL full-back. Bad performance today.

Currently it does not look like a good signing, because if we aim higher than we got this season, we need to replace him. That is unless he improves heavily.

jesperjaap

The amount of stick I got on here in October..... Look at you all now. Good tackler. Crap at everything else. Awful player.
So he has had a bad last month that justfies your post? He has had a good season, only 2.5years into being a full back and pressure of playing for a huge club and very young. He has had a decent season that yes could have been better, yet here you are jumping at the first opportunity to justify yourself with glee......poor and in my opinion totally incorrect

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That's not how football works. That's not how physics work. How does he stay ahead of De Jong when it's the guy in front of him that has to cut that lane? He's the right back, they're pinching. He has to be in position in case someone is behind him. You cover the guy behind you. Always.
How football works is not handing off a man to no one 6 yards out.

Wtf do you mean how does he stay in front, by fecking moving and not standing there like he did.

There is no one behind him within 20 yards and Greenwood is right there. Lindelöf has to know what’s behind him but AWB doesn’t?

You don’t leave a man to no one. He could see Lindelöf didn’t have him. So why the feck let him go?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
No. He doesn't because if he looks around he sees Greenwood is covering and Sevilla only have two players committed to the attack.

Gary Neville, Wes Brown, John flipping O'Shea...they all bail out the centre back in those circumstances.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Explain. Explain how he is at fault for the second goal. In the mood to hear stupid stuff.
It’s 100% his fault. He sees De Jong and chooses to do absolutely nothing about it. Brede Hangeland ripped him to pieces in the Noggie studio.

Bobski

Lack of awareness of danger for the first goal was awful, allowed the runner to go and by the time he realized his mistake he was out of the game.

Positive first season but he has a lot to work on, polish up his technical issues, work on more self discipline in terms of understanding he doesn't always have to go to ground, and develop his awareness of the full defensive picture and not just his direct opponent.

Mcking

He plays with all the grace of a cockroach. You watch him play and wonder how he doesn't have a reputation as the worst footballer in the big leagues.

Apart from tackling, he doesn't do anything well. Average all-round defender, horrible footballer.

kundalini

Terrible performance. Woeful for both the goals we conceded.

Think he has had a decent season overall but several clear weaknesses in his game. Needs to be more focused in defence, goes to sleep too often, regularly plays opponents onside when the rest of the defence is trying to play offside.

Offered very little in attack in the first half of the season, then got a few assists, though still huge room for improvement.

Gives the ball away an alarming amount. Doesn't appear to have established much of an understanding with the players who play close to him on the pitch.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He has time to improve at 22 but overall, this is not the type of right back I wanted. Makes it worse when you see the way Liverpool had played with their fullbacks or Bayern recently.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So he has had a bad last month that justfies your post? He has had a good season, only 2.5years into being a full back and pressure of playing for a huge club and very young. He has had a decent season that yes could have been better, yet here you are jumping at the first opportunity to justify yourself with glee......poor and in my opinion totally incorrect
So wrong mate. Fullbacks are so important in this day and age. He can't do half of the job required and he's even doing badly at the defending right now.

Awful player. Nowhere near the standard we need. He can't pass or play football

Amarsdd

not sure what's happened to him since the restart. Partial fault for both goals today and nothing really going forward. Really hope he gets his head together for the new season.

Suedesi

Garbage player - needs to improve on defensive awareness, first touch, dribble, movement... like pretty much everything.

He's like an athletically gifted American kid who grew up playing basketball and is trying out soccer for a semester. Very athletic but poor skills all around.

RooneyLegend

That's that, just find a new right back. He's just not gonna cut it. Can't play, gets lost in defence.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm honestly not convinced anymore that his defensive qualities compensate enough for his offense qualities (or lack of).

He is very limited going forward, as if it doesn't come natural to him. He's an excellent 1v1 tackler but over the course of 90 minutes that's not enough of a contribution.

PSV

I bet he'd be a cracking player if there ever was a solo-version of football. Unfortunately his team skills are severely lacking (and that's a recurring theme with him since signing). Needs a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.