Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Interestingly enough that quote is attributed to Maldini who himself as you said was a master at , I do wonder why he said it considering how he regularly used to commit to those tackles.
Yeah, he was master of slide tackles, so was Nesta. Perfection and it was an art, watching them win possession with slide tackles was a thing of beauty.

Same with Lahm too, he has different technique and it was brilliant to watch.

This "defender made mistake if he is tackling or making last ditch tackle" is just lazy analysis just because of one passing comment.

Jackal981

Maldini was the sliding tackle GOAT, him and Nesta were slide tackling monsters and one of the best FB in last 20-30 years regularly went for slide tackle so much that there is even a 'lahm tackle".

Tackling means defender did something wrong couldn't have been far from truth, especially for FBs who always deal 1v1 with wingers
Maybe the great man himself might convince you

" If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/11/27/a-z-of-the-2000s-paolo-maldini/

roonster09

Scout

RUCK4444

Maldini was the sliding tackle GOAT, him and Nesta were slide tackling monsters and one of the best FB in last 20-30 years regularly went for slide tackle so much that there is even a 'lahm tackle".

Tackling means defender did something wrong couldn't have been far from truth, especially for FBs who always deal 1v1 with wingers
Yeah it’s become one of them favourite one-liners here that the player is crap if he is good at slide tackles.

He’s one of the favourites for everybody to bash when the whole team have been shocking, I find it a bit odd really, Dalot is bang average and is nowhere near as good going forward as some make out.

Also this idea that AWB is terrible on the ball is a bit odd to me, he rarely loses possession and usually plays nice linkup to get out of tight spaces and gets us up the pitch. He doesn’t set the world alight, no, but the intense criticism I find odd.

UncleBob

They don't.

Either way, you're still missing the larger point. Bissakas positioning and awareness is a disaster, on 1 vs 1s it rarely costs us because he makes up for it by winning the duel afterwards, it does however tend to be a big concern when the opposition cross the ball from the opposite side and Bissaka has completely left his position, or when he pushes forward while someone runs in behind him. His lack of awareness causes daft situations again and again, like when he made a last ditch attempt to prevent a throw in and by doing so he kept the ball in play but slid over the line and the opposition player could run towards goal.

Sadly, as it turns out, there's little need for a fullback whose only strength is tackling in 1 vs 1s

roonster09

Scout
Either way, you're still missing the larger point. Bissakas positioning and awareness is a disaster,
Nothing to do with my point. My point was about tackles - mistakes myth.

Also yes they do deal 1v1 with wingers.

UncleBob

Nothing to do with my point. My point was about tackles - mistakes myth.

Also yes they do deal 1v1 with wingers.
There's a difference between resorting to tackles because they have to, and resorting to tackles because it's your only strength.

Occasionally, yes.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah, he was master of slide tackles, so was Nesta. Perfection and it was an art, watching them win possession with slide tackles was a thing of beauty.

Same with Lahm too, he has different technique and it was brilliant to watch.

This "defender made mistake if he is tackling or making last ditch tackle" is just lazy analysis just because of one passing comment.
It was an art but seemingly a forgotten one , the new generation of defenders are nowhere near as good as old timers in this regard perhaps either due to the more strict refereeing guidelines or it not being focused on in youth set ups.

Every great Italian defender of the past or the likes of Bobby Moore and even the likes of Frantz who was known more for his play making skills excelled in this regard and it gave them a lot of versatility when it came to defending 1v1s . But alas , maybe the new generation don't need those tools any more, shame.
Yeah it’s become one of them favourite one-liners here that the player is crap if he is good at slide tackles.

He’s one of the favourites for everybody to bash when the whole team have been shocking, I find it a bit odd really, Dalot is bang average and is nowhere near as good going forward as some make out.

Also this idea that AWB is terrible on the ball is a bit odd to me, he rarely loses possession and usually plays nice linkup to get out of tight spaces and gets us up the pitch. He doesn’t set the world alight, no, but the intense criticism I find odd.
To be fair he is shit when trying his hand at play making or any progressive passing but his ball carrying capabilities are exceptionally, I really do think that if worked on that aspect of his game we could get something out of it.

roonster09

Scout
There's a difference between resorting to tackles because they have to, and resorting to tackles because it's your only strength.

Occasionally, yes.
AWB was also in top 5 for interceptions last season,

UncleBob

What now?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
His agent needs to start looking for a new club for next season. Poch or Ten Hag, or whoever takes over, won't be able to achieve anything with players as limited as he is. He's not even that good defensively either. There's more to the art of defending that slide tackling. His reading of the game is abysmal.

PoTMS

Wait a minute. Are people still seriously trying to argue that he isn't anything other than an abysmal footballer? The sooner we get rid, the better.

UncleBob

Wait a minute. Are people still seriously trying to argue that he isn't anything other than an abysmal footballer? The sooner we get rid, the better.
Not sure what you mean, depending on how you define Bissaka he's the closest thing we've seen to Nesta and Maldini

roonster09

Scout
It was an art but seemingly a forgotten one , the new generation of defenders are nowhere near as good as old timers in this regard perhaps either due to the more strict refereeing guidelines or it not being focused on in youth set ups.

Every great Italian defender of the past or the likes of Bobby Moore and even the likes of Frantz who was known more for his play making skills excelled in this regard and it gave them a lot of versatility when it came to defending 1v1s . But alas , maybe the new generation don't need those tools any more, shame.
Even CMs don't do that much, Nainggolan was also so good at that. It became sort of signature move. Not sure if there are any CMs who are so good at it.

Btw if someone is dumb enough to think that I'm comparing Nainggolan to Nesta and Maldini, no. It's just discussion about sliding tackles.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His crossing in the Wolves match was laughable but, for once, he did actually try to get forward.

But, yes, he's such a gangly, awkward footballer to watch. Looks so uncomfortable when the ball's at his feet. :lol:

roonster09

Scout
His crossing in the Wolves match was laughable but, for once, he did actually try to get forward.

But, yes, he's such a gangly, awkward footballer to watch. Looks so uncomfortable when the ball's at his feet. :lol:
I think this will be his last season, at least as a regular starter.

Hopefully Laird impresses enough so that he gets chance.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think this will be his last season, at least as a regular starter.

Hopefully Laird impresses enough so that he gets chance.
Hope so. Heard positive reports on him.
May check him out as he's now playing local.

RUCK4444

What now?
Yeah he actually does and sometimes under strong pressure, almost every game.. I post mid-game sometimes to point it out.

If I had the time and skills I’d put some clips up. If you allow yourself to look for it you will see it, but if your more interested in exaggerating how poor he is like some then that’s what you will see.

Marwood

Valencia didn't talk much either and he was grand
Valencia didn't play like a quiet introvert though. Unfortunately AWB does.

Agree with this. Load of rubbish that slide tackling means a mistake has been made. I love a good slide tackle.

UncleBob

Yeah he actually does and sometimes under strong pressure, almost every game.. I post mid-game sometimes to point it out.

If I had the time and skills I’d put some clips up. If you allow yourself to look for it you will see it, but if your more interested in exaggerating how poor he is like some then that’s what you will see.
Its literally his worst attribute.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

He gets us up the pitch and then ruins his own efforts by messing up

UncleBob

I get that some think that the level of criticism aimed at Bissaka is over the top, but pretending that he's good with the ball in tight spaces :lol:

studs

He rarely does interviews, but in the few he has, he's a very soft spoken guy. He seems pretty introverted. I couldn't ever imagine him shouting at anybody. He's just not that type of person. Is it an issue for a United player to be kind of reserved on the field?
Not just a united player. All players should be communicating with their team mates.
AWB never seems to be communicating with anyone.

goptun

So AWB is fantastic at getting us up the pitch, is great at intricate linkup play to get out of tight spaces, rarely loses possession and is an expert tackler/slide tackler. Crikey, sounds like we've got a gem on our hands that the majority of reds somehow missed. Huzzah!!

Lassitude42

It's quite nice to have some positivity for a change rather than the usual 97 posts from people trying to outdo each other with hyperbole about how crap they think he is

"I always said he was crap, 50m what a waste, worst RB in the league, League 2 footballer etc etc. Look at me, I was right all along!!!" Yawn

Ekeke

It's quite nice to have some positivity for a change rather than the usual 97 posts from people trying to outdo each other with hyperbole about how crap they think he is

"I always said he was crap, 50m what a waste, worst RB in the league, League 2 footballer etc etc. Look at me, I was right all along!!!" Yawn
Always the worst behaviour on the site

"Player that I dont think is good enough for United should be a non league or league 2 player"

As if the only options are either 1) Good enough to start for United in a title challenge and if not, 2) League 2 footballer

with no in between. Of course it always says something about the poster and nothing about the player.

Ekeke

I get that some think that the level of criticism aimed at Bissaka is over the top, but pretending that he's good with the ball in tight spaces :lol:
Sounds like you dont know what he means.

AWB plays a lot of passes with his first touch onto another player to keep the ball moving instead of taking several touches and being closed down. Pretty sure he doesnt mean that he Messi's his way out of the corner with 2 men on him.

Its not quite Trent's 40 yard passes in behind the defence, but its good linkup play for a rightback when he does it

romufc

I think he is our worst player tbf. His attacking threat is probably 0. His ability to pass out the back is average at best. Defensively, he was really good until about 12 months ago where he really has regressed.

Although, I am not really surprised because he doesn't think like a defender. There was an interview with him last season where he mentioned how he got into being a RB and he even mentioned he didn't like defending.

UncleBob

Sounds like you dont know what he means.

AWB plays a lot of passes with his first touch onto another player to keep the ball moving instead of taking several touches and being closed down. Pretty sure he doesnt mean that he Messi's his way out of the corner with 2 men on him.

Its not quite Trent's 40 yard passes in behind the defence, but its good linkup play for a rightback when he does it
This is literally what he wrote:

usually plays nice linkup to get out of tight spaces and gets us up the pitch.
Far too often, AWB is indecisive on the ball, he ends up in difficult situations because of it. No idea what some of you have been watching

goptun

Yes, let's bury our heads deeper in the sand and continue to accept mediocrity. It's fared us incredibly well thus far.

Look, I'm all for positivity and gOoD ViBeS. With that said, United as a club needs to learn to start calling a spade a spade way, way earlier than it currently does. We hold onto players and managers (and CEOs) for far too long, to the point where we back ourselves into a corner to such an extent that the next persons job is made that much harder. It's not armageddon if AWB isn't good enough to have us compete with City and Liverpool, it's the nature of competition. We don't have a God given right for all our players to be good enough, and it's not like AWB hasn't had enough chances - he's 25 in November and people are still talking as if he's got levels to unlock.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Came across this article from Statsbomb from back when we were being linked with AWB for 50m.

Key passages:

While Wan-Bissaka is undoubtedly a talented defender with a bright future, it’s fair to wonder whether it’s smart of United to spend so much money for his services given the questions that surround him on the attacking end. Manchester United’s end goal as a club is to get back to being a very good, maybe evengreat team, and envisioning the next good United side would involve concocting a squad that will be able to dictate play in possession with regularity. Doing so would involve have minimal weak links during ball progression. This is especially true with fullbacks given that they have a major part to play in creating chances as auxiliary wingers.
When Wan-Bissaka is able to leverage his dribbling into more impact plays post-dribble he's at his best and displays the kind of offensive upside you would want from a high priced fullback. Though, admittedly, he's still at the beginning stages of combining high level dribbling with passing so he shows brief flashes rather than anything sustained. In terms of his passing in isolation, it would be a stretch to call him a dynamic passer or perhaps even a good one. Rather, he's shown more to have a baseline of functionality in the passes he can make. The most complex pass he has in his repertoire are little reverse/lead passes into the right wing area near the box so teammates can then launch balls into the box, which is nice but not necessarily the most value-added type of pass to have in your arsenal given that the end result are crosses.
While I believe that there's a functional level to his passing, there are moments where Wan-Bissaka shows discomfort on-ball when trying to make decisions, especially when attempting to make dangerous passes as he doesn't quite have the touch to connect on them. There are also times when he opts for conservatism over something grander. He can look indecisive and give opponents an opportunity to seize on him telegraphing his passes and create turnovers in play. His abilities as a crosser and chance creator to this point are nothing much to write home about, though how much of it is due to system constraints and surrounding talent is up for debate. Wan-Bissaka's passing to this point is somewhere between average to below-average.
There's one play in particular that I go back to when evaluating Wan-Bissaka's ability to drive play and some of the surrounding skepticism. As Wan-Bissaka is carrying the ball towards the final third, Cheikhou Kouyate is making a looping run to his right and there's the slight opening to make a pass into the right wide area of the box. Instead, Wan-Bissaka shifts the ball to the wings, which eventually leads to a corner and represents a missed opportunity at something greater. Now, the slip pass into the right side of the box is not an easy play to pull off and there's no guarantee that a successful pass would lead to something grand, but paying £45-50 million for a fullback would come with the expectations that these opportunities to help create scoring chances would not be left on the table.
The hope is that his dribbling abilities continue to translate and create passing opportunities for him that it wouldn't exist for others, and with more reps in advanced areas as well as playing with talented teammates at United, he becomes a better offensive player. That version of Wan-Bissaka would be more than worth the high price tag that United will reportedly paid for his services. The more pessimistic angle would be that Wan-Bissaka's passing never appreciably develops from its current state, and as a result, his game doesn't quite scale up to the highest level of competition and makes him less of an asset.

A shame our scouts didn't share similar scepticism at the time.

SATA

I may have missed something but why was he recently out of the team actually? Rangnick said he was out for three weeks for being ill or is there something much more else to it?

saivet

I may have missed something but why was he recently out of the team actually? Rangnick said he was out for three weeks for being ill or is there something much more else to it?
I was thinking this. If he's ill, it's a bit concerning that he's been ill for so long and if something else is going on then I hope he's okay. Hopefully nothing serious and he's back in the squad after the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.