Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

A shame our scouts didn't share similar scepticism at the time.
I am surprised that our scouts don't do their homework on a player. He had 1 year PL experience and we went and paid so much money for him.

The way we operate on transfers is quite weird. The manager has one philosophy, the scouts have a different and the club just buy whatever.

It is a scout's job in conjunction with the club to profile players, the way football was moving and has been in the last 5 years, we need ball playing full backs, they are so crucial. Instead, we get someone who is a very defensive minded full back.

mctrials23

Although, I am not really surprised because he doesn't think like a defender. There was an interview with him last season where he mentioned how he got into being a RB and he even mentioned he didn't like defending.
Wasn't he a winger in a previous life though?? Thats his biggest weakness, going forwards and doing anything with the ball that is productive in the final third.

I may have missed something but why was he recently out of the team actually? Rangnick said he was out for three weeks for being ill or is there something much more else to it?
Doubt there is much more to it at this stage. Hes not first choice anymore but he would still be on the bench I imagine if he was fit.

I wanted him to be a good player for us and when he was being asked to defend a lot in a compact back line as part of a counter attacking side he was great. Didn't let players past him, very good tackle and did the simple things well. Never contributed much going forwards but he didn't need to because we attacked down the left most of the time.

Now that he is being asked to do more than that his weaknesses in that area are far too apparent. He also seems to have become a lot lazier (like most of our players) over the past 3 years. Doesn't sprint very often and seems to take a long time to get up to speed.

Oranges038

So that excerpt pretty much just tells us what we've known all along. He's not good enough on the ball. Dalot isn't great either but he's a damn sight better with the ball that AWB.

Club should just cut their losses on this one.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me he is a good football player - but suits a counterattacking team than a team that has possesion.

His performances vs PSG and City are some of my favourites- but his performances against some of the smaller clubs are not creative/good enough.

Litch

Not completely given up on him but the scary thing is, the person who has taken his position is really not the finished article either yet has exposed how limited AWB is. Im not sure AWB limitations can significantly be improved and yes he was a winger but read that Palace had already decided he wasn’t good enough to play in the PL in that position. How mad is it that he went from potentially a Championship winger to a PL RB in a season.….

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I am surprised that our scouts don't do their homework on a player. He had 1 year PL experience and we went and paid so much money for him.

The way we operate on transfers is quite weird. The manager has one philosophy, the scouts have a different and the club just buy whatever.

It is a scout's job in conjunction with the club to profile players, the way football was moving and has been in the last 5 years, we need ball playing full backs, they are so crucial. Instead, we get someone who is a very defensive minded full back.
Plus even being "defensive minded", that doesn't mean you don't have defensive flaws too. Or that there aren't some styles of defending that translate better to a top side than others.

In Palace's compact Hodgson system AWB simply had less space that he had to defend, which reduces the chances of poor positioning being exposed. Whereas in a more expansive side that side of the game becomes more important, just as ability on the ball does. Palace weren't a side like Brighton who play in a more expansive way, so there had to be a greater need for an extrapolation and projection of his skillset to a different style of play.

And as another piece I read pointed out, even AWB's strengths should have prompted their own questions. He's unquestionably excellent at tackling, but those stats should also have given cause to ask why he was posting an extremely high tackle count (99th percentile for tackles made) despite having a relatively hard-working winger in front of him sharing the defensive load. It's not like the other Palace players were making similar amounts, so did this point to some issue with positioning on AWB's part? Or (much more likely) a tendency on AWB's part to actively invite wingers on to him because he knew tackling was his main defensive weapon, a strategy which becomes less viable when you're playing in an expansive side. And sure enough, we've seen the amount of tackles AWB makes per 90min decrease with each season he's been here. And if sheer tackling ability was going to be rendered less important at a top side, what was he offering that made him a 50m fullback?

romufc

Plus even being "defensive minded", that doesn't mean you don't have defensive flaws too. Or that there aren't some styles of defending that translate better to a top side than others.

In Palace's compact Hodgson system AWB simply had less space that he had to defend, which reduces the chances of poor positioning being exposed. Whereas in a more expansive side that side of the game becomes more important, just as ability on the ball does. Palace weren't a side like Brighton who play in a more expansive way, so there had to be a greater need for an extrapolation and projection of his skillset to a different style of play.

And as another piece I read pointed out, even AWB's strengths should have prompted their own questions. He's unquestionably excellent at tackling, but those stats should also have given cause to ask why he was posting an extremely high tackle count (99th percentile for tackles made) despite having a relatively hard-working winger in front of him sharing the defensive load. It's not like the other Palace players were making similar amounts, so did this point to some issue with positioning on AWB's part? Or (much more likely) a tendency on AWB's part to actively invite wingers on to him because he knew tackling was his main defensive weapon, a strategy which becomes less viable when you're playing in an expansive side. And sure enough, we've seen the amount of tackles AWB makes per 90min decrease with each season he's been here. And if sheer tackling ability was going to be rendered less important at a top side, what was he offering that made him a 50m fullback?
Exactly this. People get carried away by defenders that play in a defensive team, then they are exposed when they make the step up.

AWB in that team was defending deep, everyone always remembers the 10 tackles made but by doing that it allows you to make 1/2 errors and get away with it because of the pressure they come under.

When a defender has to make slide tackles and that is his primary trait, however good you are, it is a risk, you are bound to mistime a few which will mean fouls, penalties conceded. Look at Varane for instance, he doesn't need to slide or tackle, positions himself in a way that no one notices him, cleans up.

When a player has to do so much defending and has 2 DM's and RW covering back, its easy, the step up to United when the game is open, you are left one v one its a different ball game.

I have seen him on numerous occasions push to try win a ball back gets nowhere near then jogs back? It really frustrates me, as a defender you need to sprint back into position.

I wouldn't say we got sold a dream or anything, I put it down to negligence from our club in not scouting the player properly before buying.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I still like him and think he’s got a role to play. He gets into some great positions in the attacking third, it’s just his quality isn’t there, but I think that could improve under the right coach (Rangnick, ETH).

UpWithRivers

Another victim of the United fk up careers machine like Martial and everyone else. Firstly he's a defensive RB. Not an attacking one. Why do we buy players with a specific skillset and then bash them for not being different to what we bought. Its like buying a Off Road Vehicle and complaining its no good against a Ferrari. Well no sht. Plus a lot of our players are victims to the fact Man Utd are sht. We have no consistent players. We have no players that have become better and better. None. Why? Because we are sht. Plus he is always hampered by the fact he has no protection on the RW.

I think he's a great player - in the right system. If we want an attacking RW then we shouldn't have bought him and if we should sell him instead of leaving him on the bench for the next 4 years then letting him go for free like we do with a lot of our players. For his sake as much as ours

deleon

I wouldn't write him off yet.

We've been cutting down on the number of procrastinating passes from centrebacks to fullbacks the past couple of matches. Wan-Bissaka's decision-making on the receiving end of those passes has been his weakness in my opinion, so he could be less exposed during buildup under Rangnick.

In the final third, he needs to improve his combination play. He's a willing and physically competent third-man, but his runs are too predictable. Still, there are signs that the team as a whole is trying to do more patterned improvisations (out wide during the 4-2-4 phase, more centrally since Fernandes' reintroduction there), and I suspect this is one of the more realistic aspects of Wan-Bissaka's game that can be improved upon relatively quickly.

mctrials23

I think he's a great player - in the right system. If we want an attacking RW then we shouldn't have bought him and if we should sell him instead of leaving him on the bench for the next 4 years then letting him go for free like we do with a lot of our players. For his sake as much as ours
The right system is in a team that sits deep and hits teams on the counter attack down their left hand side. No top team operates like that because its unsustainable if you want to win anything. You can't sit back and counter against the 12 teams in the league who also do that. You can't do that when your fans expect exciting attacking football.

He is no use for a team that has Uniteds ambitions.

He is the type of player Conte would love.
He really isn't. Conte loves hard working players who are technically competant. AWB is neither. He floats about the pitch, is positionally awful when asked to do any more than man mark and cut out crosses.

I wouldn't write him off yet.

We've been cutting down on the number of procrastinating passes from centrebacks to fullbacks the past couple of matches. Wan-Bissaka's decision-making on the receiving end of those passes has been his weakness in my opinion, so he could be less exposed during buildup under Rangnick.

In the final third, he needs to improve his combination play. He's a willing and physically competent third-man, but his runs are too predictable. Still, there are signs that the team as a whole is trying to do more patterned improvisations (out wide during the 4-2-4 phase, more centrally since Fernandes' reintroduction there), and I suspect this is one of the more realistic aspects of Wan-Bissaka's game that can be improved upon relatively quickly.
The only aspect of his play that is up to elite level is his tackling and man marking when left wingers are running at him. He loves playing against Sterling. Outside of that, every other aspect of his game is sub-par. You cannot have a RB who only looks good when playing against top sides who pen you in and require compact defending and counter-attacking football.

That simply isn't enough in the modern game.

Gatecrasher27

Arguably, based on value on money spent, one of the worst signings in premier league history

Oranges038

The right system is in a team that sits deep and hits teams on the counter attack down their left hand side. No top team operates like that because its unsustainable if you want to win anything. You can't sit back and counter against the 12 teams in the league who also do that. You can't do that when your fans expect exciting attacking football.

He really isn't. Conte loves hard working players who are technically competant. AWB is neither. He floats about the pitch, is positionally awful when asked to do any more than man mark and cut out crosses.

The only aspect of his play that is up to elite level is his tackling and man marking when left wingers are running at him. He loves playing against Sterling. Outside of that, every other aspect of his game is sub-par. You cannot have a RB who only looks good when playing against top sides who pen you in and require compact defending and counter-attacking football.

Even in poor performing teams you can see qualities in a player, Robertson and Maguire at Hull are great recent examples, Hull were shit and relegated but those stood out as being really good players.

AWB never really stood out at Palace, literally nothing about his performances for Utd either suggest that there is anything other than an average lower end of the league player in there.

Simply just not good enough for Utd.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

This is why I want to keep him as our 2nd choice RB to be honest. I find him a counter attacking player in a team that doesn't counter attack.

He would be a great option in a squad to have when we have to defend against top teams that have us holding back & who attack us with inverted wingers. As you said, that's not every game - but I do still kind of value it too.

Last edited:

Ekeke

We paid what we did because we have a culture of overpaying for players. Also we had a pathetic defensive record and we wanted Maguire at CB, so we were going to need a defensively focused fullback to help stop the rot.

Even though I liked AWB and supported us signing him, when the fee turned out to be £50 million I questioned it because thats an awful lot for a fullback who mainly defends. His contribution defensively in his first season was outstanding and our defensive record reversed and we had one of the best in the league. So I started to think of him as being worth the money.

But realistically it was always too much. As for now, Dalot is doing well and I know some people are happy to see AWB no longer starting and are hoping he never plays for us again. Personally I think he has every chance to improve in some areas and play instead of Dalot in the future if he works hard enough at it. If he doesn't do the work to improve he may be another squad player we keep for ages.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is the type of player Conte would love.
Is he? Conte is typically known for being a manager with a very aggressive & forward-thinking approach to his fullbacks/wingbacks. The fact that he's currently trying to sign Adama Traore for RWB at Spurs gives you an idea of what he looks for in that position and AWB ain't that.

saivet

Even in poor performing teams you can see qualities in a player, Robertson and Maguire at Hull are great recent examples, Hull were shit and relegated but those stood out as being really good players.

AWB never really stood out at Palace, literally nothing about his performances for Utd either suggest that there is anything other than an average lower end of the league player in there.

Simply just not good enough for Utd.
I think that's a bit harsh. I didn't watch a lot of Palace but against the bigger sides he did demonstrate an ability to lockdown very good wingers. That's from a fan perspective but I imagine his technical, attacking and positional flaws would have been more evident to those who watched Palace week in week out, which you'd have expected scouts to pick up on.

Ekeke

I think that's a bit harsh. I didn't watch a lot of Palace but against the bigger sides he did demonstrate an ability to lockdown very good wingers. That's from a fan perspective but I imagine his technical, attacking and positional flaws would have been more evident to those who watched Palace week in week out, which you'd have expected scouts to pick up on.
Him and Zaha made great progress down the right dribbling, AWB even threw in a couple of skills

He did stand out thats why we bought him. And we did scout him very well, because we had our own player on loan at the right back position who we were obviously keeping tabs on. AWB broke in and took his position and was Palace's best young player and best defender.

Thats why we signed him when our defensive record was a shambles

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Newcastle for 30 mil, being a cover for Trippier would do. I'd sell him in a heartbeat and use Laird or bring a proven, 28+ year old RB there. Malcuit, De Sciglio or Vrsaljko are free agents this summer so why not bolster that area?

Oranges038

He was the same then as he is now. Not one aspect of his game has changed or improved.

It was the same bad positioning and slide tackles. On the ball his passing, ball control and dribbling were also not very good, bad first touches, scooping the ball away with the outside if his foot. Even dribbling he never looked like he was fully in control of the ball, clumsy with the ball getting caught under his feet. Overall positionally as a defender, he's always looked suspect. On the ball, he just doesn't have the technical ability required, first touch, dribbling, passing or crossing, he never looks like he is control of it or is comfortable with the ball.

Here's a video of him at Palace. It's pretty much what we've seen every week in a Utd shirt since he joined. I don't know how anyone could have watched him play there and think that he was worth 50m or even now is worth keeping at Utd after what we've seen if him. He's just not good enough.

Chief123

I'm not writing him off but it's incredibly hard to see how he can improve his attacking enough to be at an acceptable level for a top club. It really is poor and miles away from where it needs to be. Normally if a player needs to fine tune their skills, you can see they'll have a chance of progression. But he really is that bad that it feels like he just has zero natural ability when it comes to the attacking side of the game. Every time he has the ball at his feet, I get anxiety just wondering whether he's going to find a team mate. If he completes the pass it's a bonus.

Dante

Average bang
He's the best 1v1 defender in the world. If you're playing on the counterattack with a 4231 where the creativity comes from the 3 attacking midfielders, AWB is an excellent option. Literally can't get any better than him.

The issue comes when you want to play a possession game with build up down the flanks. That's where he's been found wanting.

He's obviously not worth £50m to teams with systems like City or Liverpool. But to United in 2019? He was a good fit at a time when we were desperate for an Ashley Young replacement. We never would have beaten PSG without him.

If we decide to sell this summer, we'll get a good chunk of that £50m back.

Greck

There's nothing to improve possession wise because there's little football talent to begin with. He's similar to Smalling who we moved on from because we wanted a ballplaying CB. His limitations will naturally affect his willingness to make himself available in tight spaces so he's occasionally going to hang back or be hesitant to bomb forward when the situation is crying for an overlap.

Unfortunate as it sounds we're having to shoehorn him into out future plans because of how much we spent. If we also spent 50m on Daniel James this would bear a striking resemblance to his thread. Anyway since he's already a club asset I wouldn't actually sell him if he's willing to be a second choice/situational sub for when we defend leads. He has great 1 on 1 ability against even the best attackers but unless we want to continue parking the bus against the big boys he's going to be hard to fit into our starting 11. This is where he has a problem because the Peps, Klopps, Ten Haags rarely ditch their philosophies to park the bus.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

In fairness we were fecking desperate at the time. We had a really shit version of Luke Shaw, Young learning the full back position, a decrepit Valencia or baby Dalot, CBs were cowardly version of Lindelof + Chris Smalling (good defender but rubbish on the ball). I remember every time anyone pressed our defenders we ended up losing the ball pretty much.

I'm still a little bit hopeful that Dalot and/or Wan Bissaka can develop their games to be top class but even if Wan Bissaka never does, I think we've just got to look on him as a really expensive stopgap that was necessary at the time and gave us a level to build from that we just didn't have before thanks to the awful management / board level decisions prior. I guess there's a chance that we'll have to look at Maguire in the same way. He is closer to the level we need at least even if he's not as young as Wan Bissaka.

I'd be quite comfortable getting Mazraoui in on a free and letting Wan Bissaka go tbh, £50m or no. If we think he's an improvement then get it done.

Zlatattack

We should be looking to shift him on in the summer. Won’t recoup anywhere near the £50m we paid but should just cut our losses and move on.
He's not as bad as he's looked this season, but he's clearly not developing into a FB with good attacking ability.

I think he'd do well on the right side of a back three, but we're not playing that. Probably need to consider moving him on if we can get a replacement, but this should not be rushed. He's a good defender, maybe he can still improve?

yamo123x

He's been a massive disappointment for me. We bought him based on his media reputation as a tough takling young english full back and clearly didnt do a detailed scouting of him which would have highlighted his downfalls like positioning and distribution. That all said he is young, so there is time to improve, but already in 1.5 seasons he looks way short, im not sure where he goes from here, is he gonna hang around to sit on the bench? Does he have the ambition and mentality to push himself to improve and be a top fulback?

If we cash in we wont even get half of what we paid for him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’ll be off to Watford in the next 12 months for a fraction of what we paid, and nobody will be able to explain quite why we signed him in the first place.

Alemar

he's clearly not developing into a FB with good attacking ability.
His defensive ability is also very poor: the only strength is tackling (we may call his tackling world class), and one could probably argue Bissaka is also relatively fast. But at the same time glaring weaknesses are his heading, positioning and press resistance.

L1nk

if Dalot keeps up the performances he's been putting in then I don't see any reason to have AWB first choice ever again, would rather make Dalot first and then either bring in a back up or bring in one of the youths

romufc

In fairness we were fecking desperate at the time. We had a really shit version of Luke Shaw, Young learning the full back position, a decrepit Valencia or baby Dalot, CBs were cowardly version of Lindelof + Chris Smalling (good defender but rubbish on the ball). I remember every time anyone pressed our defenders we ended up losing the ball pretty much.

I'm still a little bit hopeful that Dalot and/or Wan Bissaka can develop their games to be top class but even if Wan Bissaka never does, I think we've just got to look on him as a really expensive stopgap that was necessary at the time and gave us a level to build from that we just didn't have before thanks to the awful management / board level decisions prior. I guess there's a chance that we'll have to look at Maguire in the same way. He is closer to the level we need at least even if he's not as young as Wan Bissaka.

I'd be quite comfortable getting Mazraoui in on a free and letting Wan Bissaka go tbh, £50m or no. If we think he's an improvement then get it done.
I agree on that. We were really desperate for a RB. The options at the time if I recall were very limited, It was either him or Aarons.

We do have Laird who we can use next season and perhaps look to recoup a bit of money for AWB in the summer, even if its £20m so be it.

I don't see the point of having a RB that will continue to lose value and run down his contract.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I agree on that. We were really desperate for a RB. The options at the time if I recall were very limited, It was either him or Aarons.

We do have Laird who we can use next season and perhaps look to recoup a bit of money for AWB in the summer, even if its £20m so be it.

I don't see the point of having a RB that will continue to lose value and run down his contract.
Problem is that RB is probably a buyer's market right now, in the Prem at least. There's probably 10 good English RBs, most of whom are pretty young still, which is crazy really when you compare with some other positions.

Ekeke

Aarons who is brought up all the time, but Brandon Williams is outperforming him for Norwich

romufc

Problem is that RB is probably a buyer's market right now, in the Prem at least. There's probably 10 good English RBs, most of whom are pretty young still, which is crazy really when you compare with some other positions.

Yes, I agree but not many clubs can afford the young English RB's. AWB will probably be the cheapest option out of those.

pascell

Another victim of the United fk up careers machine like Martial and everyone else. Firstly he's a defensive RB. Not an attacking one. Why do we buy players with a specific skillset and then bash them for not being different to what we bought. Its like buying a Off Road Vehicle and complaining its no good against a Ferrari. Well no sht. Plus a lot of our players are victims to the fact Man Utd are sht. We have no consistent players. We have no players that have become better and better. None. Why? Because we are sht. Plus he is always hampered by the fact he has no protection on the RW.

He's not even a good defensive RB either. He's poor positionally, couldn't win a header when it's only him competing for it, he has too many lapses of concentration and has poor awareness of what's happening around him also.

Should be sold in summer as he's never going to be what we need. Never should have been signed either, nowhere near good enough.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

AWB and Maguire were bought to stiffen up a defence that had shipped loads of goals in the previous season, and had failed to get top four, and they did, resulting in a top four finish (3rd I think), and entry into Champions League, so you could say that they repaid some of their transfer fees in increased revenue that, and subsequent seasons.
You never know how players will improve year on year, and both AWB have had very good performances, and also poor performances, especially this season.
AWB's biggest problem going forward I feel is his confidence taking on people, he certainly has the ability to, as we have seen on the all to rare occasions, but his biggest problem defensively is his positioning and not having the awareness of danger around him (as does both Mctominay and Fred). Tackling is his biggest asset, but opposing teams have worked out that you don't take him on, just pass around him.
I am hopeful that with Dalot currently making the RB spot his own, AWB will work hard on his shortcomings, and step up a notch or two.

romufc

Aarons who is brought up all the time, but Brandon Williams is outperforming him for Norwich
That is my point. Those were the options so its not like we were spoilt for choice. Ofcourse when you look at it 3 years later there are other RB's. We should have really looked at others.

Revaulx

He’ll be off to Watford in the next 12 months for a fraction of what we paid, and nobody will be able to explain quite why we signed him in the first place.
  1. Who is his agent? I can’t find it on Wonkypedia.
  2. What is that agent’s relationship with Ed Woodward?

Status
Not open for further replies.