Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorio

Just gonna say I hope he doesn't get sold. I came into this game not worrying about Grealish at all for one reason, and it was him.

Thinking about it, in the first half he was probably our most impactful player going forward too

Irwin99

Probably not a popular opinion but the game kind of epitomized why he's a player that i think you have to upgrade if you want to be successful. To be clear his effort was fantastic, and i like him as a player but the contrast between him and Shaw technically is vast and there was a moment in the second half when the most simple of passes could have put Bruno through but he chose to play it square. Varane was giving him an earful in the first half about his positioning in receiving the ball.

An odd player because what he's good at it, he's incredibly good at it, but there are just things very lacking in his game.

The United

Probably not a popular opinion but the game kind of epitomized why he's a player that i think you have to upgrade if you want to be successful. To be clear his effort was fantastic, and i like him as a player but the contrast between him and Shaw technically is vast and there was a moment in the second half when the most simple of passes could have put Bruno through but he chose to play it square. Varane was giving him an earful in the first half about his positioning in receiving the ball.

An odd player because what he's good at it, he's incredibly good at it, but there are just things very lacking in his game.
Every player is lacking something. Shaw is the best at what you describe, yet his contribution to the attack in this game was minimal. I am not saying he should be our future RB; he could be if he keeps improving. But in this game, he really didn't have anyone ahead of him to support him. We literally played most of the game without a proper right wing, and he was pretty decent playing alone there on both ends.

led_scholes

He was decent. A fine performance to conclude a fine season.

However, I m not against selling him.

Based Adnan

You have a team of players like AWB you're asking to play reactive backfoot football

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Isn't a good enough footballer ultimately but he can defend and he gives his all.

Won't be overtaking City with players like him any time soon.

Lecland07

I think we really need to sort out our frontline first before looking at the contribution of other areas. We don't create anywhere near enough chances in our frontline due to the lack of a proper striker and our right wingers being quite underwhelming. It is going to incredibly difficult for wingbacks to contribute more when our frontline is struggling so badly.

I still believe Wan Bissaka will only improve as we gain more possession. He is very good at the quick one touch passing, dribbling and driving forward, but we are rarely able to take advantage of it due to major deficiencies in the frontline.

BorisManUtd

One of better players today. And great season for him and it basically only started in December.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I thought he did pretty well on both ends, considering the result. With Antony, we could have done a lot more on that side in terms of attacking.
Yeah I agree with this. Not having a natural right winger out there to link up with hurt him when going forward today. Overall, he had a good game and should be the starting right back for us going into next season. I'm excited to see how much more his game can grow.

The United

I think we really need to sort out our frontline first before looking at the contribution of other areas. We don't create anywhere near enough chances in our frontline due to the lack of a proper striker and our right wingers being quite underwhelming. It is going to incredibly difficult for wingbacks to contribute more when our frontline is struggling so badly.

I still believe Wan Bissaka will only improve as we gain more possession. He is very good at the quick one touch passing, dribbling and driving forward, but we are rarely able to take advantage of it due to major deficiencies in the frontline.
Probably only Hakimi can do well on the right side with our options up front. With all the talent, even Shaw was very conservative and didn't really contribute much in attacking in most games.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bit worried he could face a retrospective ban after that assault on Grealish

Dominos

Agree. For years on here it was said "opposition teams just let AWB have the ball because he'll never do anything useful with it", and today reminded me of that. His touch and passing will never significantly improve at this stage, he's not a kid.

Dalot had to come on after 60 minutes when we were chasing a goal.

Irwin99

His upturn in form has saved us going into the market for a RB for this Summer at least.
That might not be a good thing. I think he's had a good season and I think Dalot had a good first half of the season but i'm just not sure we're getting an elite fullback with either of them.

Might be able to get away with it for one more year at least.

DavelinaJolie

I keep replaying that moment in my head, he had the ball, a relatively simple forward pass to Bruno breaks their defensive line and Bruno has a clear opportunity. AWB passes it backwards.

Dominos

I keep replaying that moment in my head, he had the ball, a relatively simple forward pass to Bruno breaks their defensive line and Bruno has a clear opportunity. AWB passes it backwards.
:lol: it really is criminal.

The Eriksen one in the first half when he could slip Rashford in behind... I don't know what goes through these player's heads to make such poor decisions.

Last edited:

CloneMC16

Probably our best player. He played well. He can hold his head up high. Should have played Bruno in, though. Very simple pass.

Very good season for him overall. Hope he's staying.

OrcaFat

He is a game lad who has improved himself quite a bit but he’s not from the top drawer. I’d keep him around because his attitude is good, he defends well and he gets up the pitch these days. The technical quality is lacking but he’s not the worst stand-in you can imagine. We need someone better, I believe.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
An attacking fullback is not going to defend like Wan Bissaka.

Us crying for Hakimi or Frimpong is not Wan Bissaka’s fault, once we have them there will be games when as a tactic Wan Bissaka will be more important than an attacking RB or we would be having a go at Frimpong for not completing a relatively simple defensive duty the same way we have a go at Wan Bissaka not completing an attacking one.

The problem is Dalot. He is an attacking RB that has not performed for some time and was given a new contract.

He is taking the spot of an attacking RB.

I am happy with Wan Bissaka & although what he offers is different, I still value it in our squad.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Thought he was our best player, apart from that pass that should have been for Bruno, but I doubt much would happen since Bruno isn't that wuick anyway, no way he would escape their defence.

Completely nulified Grealish and showed other teams how to close that City side, just press him while he is out wide and he is too slow to do anything with the ball from the wide if your forward can follow his fullback.

Bondi77

Would be nice if he had a decent RW in front of him to link up with.
Good season and one of the real successes under Erik.

Oscar Bonavena

Had Grealish in his pocket for practically all the match and even managed to win a penalty off the floppy-haired cnut! Not many other right backs in world football would manage that.

I'd be very wary of selling a brilliant 1v1 defender for some fad attacking right back. Kyle Walker doesn't offer a hell of a lot in attack for City either, because he knows the City's attacking players are good enough to do the job themselves most of the time.

Ekeke

Kept Grealish quiet and his header forced Grealish into the mistake for the handball for our only goal. Might have been our only player on the pitch to completely win his personal duel with his opposition player. Still lost though

AndyMUFC

Best player in the final yesterday and arguably been our best player over the second half of the season tbf.

Skills

Snitch
That yellow card was bullshit, it could've totally nullified him but he's so good that it didn't matter.

Gavinb33

He was our best player yesterday imo, you can nitpick over a pass here or a pass there but you could do that to every player over a 90 minute game even the best players don't always do the right thing they aren't robots.

Complete domination against Grealish and decent going forwards despite what people say his header set up the penalty and had a few promising attacks down his side, I think if Antony was fit we could have won that game

jesperjaap

Are things lacking in his game, but his ability going forward is and never has been anywhere near as bad as people suggest to me.

I think this season he has improved on some of theose weaknesses. His positioning as a whole despite still having lapeses is improving and he has improved his picking up players n the area.

I think he has simplified his passing too (which he did earlier in his career here in his good season). For me its his lack of technical ability under pressure passing lets him down and his crossing now as much as anything. Personally though, the strngths that he has not so much make up for it, but still make him a viable option. I hope and expect him to stay and be our first choice right back next season....for me he should have been secon dchoice and Dalot sold, but there is only so much we can do in one window and its a much further down the lst for me than for many.

Personalyl a good modern keeper signing and a quality centre back to compete with Varane and cover his injury spells and I think our defence is fine

van Nistelrooy

Never understood the criticism for him from the United fanbase. AWB has a unique and game leading way of tackling that puts him ahead of most wing-backs in the world.

He's clearly worked to improve his forward play which still is far from great, but he is a safe player to have in the team.

C'est Moi Cantona

Never understood the criticism for him from the United fanbase. AWB has a unique and game leading way of tackling that puts him ahead of most wing-backs in the world.

He's clearly worked to improve his forward play which still is far from great, but he is a safe player to have in the team.
I'd given up on him, he was in the same bracket as Maguire and Elanga for me about 4-5 months ago, but he's improved massively in the second half of this season, doing things I wasn't sure he was capable of, and for that reason I want to keep him in the hope he can improve alot more still.

I though don't think what he had shown up that point made him immune from criticism, he cost a fortune, and until the point ETH waved his magic wand has been pretty limited overall.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd given up on him, he was in the same bracket as Maguire and Elanga for me about 4-5 months ago, but he's improved massively in the second half of this season, doing things I wasn't sure he was capable of, and for that reason I want to keep him in the hope he can improve alot more still.

I though don't think what he had shown up that point made him immune from criticism, he cost a fortune, and until the point ETH waved his magic wand has been pretty limited overall.
Waved his magic wand? Gave him a chance you mean? Because credit to ETH for not being as myopic as Redcafe but let's be honest this is AWB doing his job, listening and improving and adhering to the new game plan... Just like Rashford, just like Shaw.

Players can turn it around, who would have guessed it?

RoyKeaneReborn

Credit to AWB over improving this season. I wish our fullbacks can swing in more crosses like the good old days with Gaz, Irwin, Phil, Evra. Even Valencia & Rafa seemed to ping in more crosses back then. We used to score so many goals from crosses from fullbacks. Or maybe they are told not to by ETH when we don't have proper strikers......

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Credit to AWB over improving this season. I wish our fullbacks can swing in more crosses like the good old days with Gaz, Irwin, Phil, Evra. Even Valencia & Rafa seemed to ping in more crosses back then. We used to score so many goals from crosses from fullbacks. Or maybe they are told not to by ETH when we don't have proper strikers......
Can only swing crosses in if there is someone there to aim for

Glorio

While I always rated Evra's ability on the ball, I don't remember him being an accomplished crosser of the ball.

I might be wrong, but I remember him being very handy with the ball and short, quick 1-2s, kinda like Shaw

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Can only swing crosses in if there is someone there to aim for
True
While I always rated Evra's ability on the ball, I don't remember him being an accomplished crosser of the ball
As above, Evra used to kick the ball to Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Robin van Persie. Look at RVPs first goal for United, it's a pretty average to poor ball in, but an amazing striker makes a quarter chance a goal..

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I can see why people want to sell him - this is not really talking about that.

However, I genuinely think he was playing within the league of the best 5 RB of the world in the last 3-4 months of the season.

If that’s not true then at least in the top 7 RB of the world.

I do wonder who Ten Hag starts next season - the player that could be sold or Dalot a player with a new contract & supposedly better stats even if his performances stank post World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.