Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

With so many injuries throughout this season, I think Ten Hag should have introduced more of the young players and give them game time. Playing the same team every 3 days is too much for some of the older ones.

Marwood

Primarily stopping the ball going into the net, dealing with crosses. Building up from the back was minimal in the Premier League and keepers starting positions are far further forward now. For a right back defensive solidity was key, anything after that from an attacking point of view was a bonus. In terms of progressing the ball and playing out from the back, it was far more basic.
To me that description of football is 1993 not 2003.

By 2003 fullbacks were fully expected to contribute going forwards. AWB would have beem considered limited on the ball then as he is now.

I don't really get it from United fans especially given some of the quality fullbacks we've had.

I'm always kind of a fan of AWB but he's the most limited fullback(as a starter) we've had since Paul Parker. Yet fans make out he'd have been perfectly adequate for the football we played in '98 for instance. Because that was old football and today is modern. Reality is he'd have stuck out more in that team than than he does now.

It's not about the game now being more modern. The guy can't pass a ball further than 20 yards. There were fullbacks playing 30 years ago with more ability.

Dan_F

By 2003 fullbacks were fully expected to contribute going forwards. AWB would have beem considered limited on the ball then as he is now.

I don't really get it from United fans especially given some of the quality fullbacks we've had.

I'm always kind of a fan of AWB but he's the most limited fullback(as a starter) we've had since Paul Parker. Yet fans make out he'd have been perfectly adequate for the football we played in '98 for instance. Because that was old football and today is modern. Reality is he'd have stuck out more in that team than than he does now.

It's not about the game now being more modern. The guy can't pass a ball further than 20 yards. There were fullbacks playing 30 years ago with more ability.
I don’t disagree at all.

20 years was obviously a bit of a throwaway comment, so I wasn’t aiming it specifically at 2003, but I watched back full games during lock down from the treble season and it’s like a different sport at times. The average pass length feels like it would be 10 yards more.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

And Gary Neville could pass the ball further than 20 yards? Even the great Denis Irwin didn’t. Only silvestre played longer balls, usually cross field. It wasn’t necessary in Fergies teams

gajender

AWB is the perfect example a lot of fans should feck off!
Fans can have difference of opinion can't they and even when United was highly successful there were still players which divided opinion amongst the fans , what exactly have Wan Bissaka or any other player in this team has done to earn complete reverence .

Marwood

And Gary Neville could pass the ball further than 20 yards? Even the great Denis Irwin didn’t. Only silvestre played longer balls, usually cross field. It wasn’t necessary in Fergies teams
Both Neville and Irwin could cross a quality ball. Irwin a very good set piece taker. Course they could.

I'm not talking about Beckham type big switches of play

Oranges038

I might be wrong here.

But, didn't Gary Neville clip a 30 yard ball through on his left foot for the Cole goal against Spurs that won the league in 99?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Both Neville and Irwin could cross a quality ball. Irwin a very good set piece taker. Course they could.

I'm not talking about Beckham type big switches of play
Crossing a ball and taking free kicks is a very different thing to hitting 30 yard passes which is what I replied to. AWB doesn’t need to hit 30 yard passes just like the other 2 didn’t have to either

Marwood

I might be wrong here.

But, didn't Gary Neville clip a 30 yard ball through on his left foot for the Cole goal against Spurs that won the league in 99?
Certainly did

Crossing a ball and taking free kicks is a very different thing to hitting 30 yard passes which is what I replied to. AWB doesn’t need to hit 30 yard passes just like the other 2 didn’t have to either
You're being very literal about the 20 yard pass thing(also you've increased it to 30). The point is anything beyond the simple 5 to 10 yard cross along the floor AWB looks very uncomfortable yes?

And although a fullback doesn't need to spray huge passes around he does need to cross the ball, feed balls up the line, find forward passes in to attackers feet.

We had fullbacks who could do that 20 to 30 years ago when apparently fullbacks only had to defend.

Ekeke

People have been getting all excited about him in recent weeks (and I understand why), but the cold, calculated thing to do this summer is sell him and bring in a more suitable attacking replacement.

Wan-Bissaka is not the answer at right back and never will be. Face up to this and get rid.
Longterm I understand this thinking but not if its only used at rightback as if suddenly we'd be a different team with a new one. And as far as I'm concerned central players in the spine of the team, CBs and CMs are far more important than the RB. So I would have that kind of ruthlessness with Maguire, Lindelof, McTom, DVB and Fred at the same time if not before AWB. If we're only going to be changing 3 or 4 players this summer it'll be wasted resources when AWB and Dalot are fine, just not our endgame rightback.

In fact in recent weeks our leftback spot looks the more vulnerable with Malacia's perfomance in the first leg, and Shaw's performance off the bench against Sevilla being the worst of our fullbacks

Ekeke

Man of the match at least till he came off. Won the battle with Brighton's most dangerous player, and had our most dangerous attack down the right in the game and woke some of his teammates up with that show of determination and passion

Zoo

That run was amazing. Estupinan was all over him yet Pawson still didn’t go back and book him.

Deserves huge credit for keeping Mitoma so quiet.

Lecland07

Silenced another great winger. Fantastic performance. Pretty much unbeatable at one on one.

He's a great dribbler, also. That moment in the second half was brilliant.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Incredible. Another name taken. Probably right that it was Dalot kept on to take a penalty though…

meamth

After that tackle in the first half, Mitoma doubted his abilities.

"My dribbling PHD is confused, I can't dribble in this game"

BerryBerryShrew

His inconsistency is what will cost him his United future rather than his quality. If he could play like today every game, we wouldn't need to bat our eyelashes at the likes of Frimpong.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure what the boss thinks but for me Wan-Bissaka has saved his career at United and has earned another season.

TsuWave

MOTM.

Mitoma still trying to dig his way out of that dungeon like Shawshank Redemption

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Perfect match for Mitoma. Don't think any other defender in the league would have been able to handle him like that.

Superunknown

Thought he had one of his best ever games for us. Completely nullified Mitoma and stopped him from playing his usual game. Looked very difficult to get past today.

Status
Not open for further replies.