Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lecland07

Not sure why he came off. He made more tackles than most of the team combined in the first half. Pretty much a one-man defence.

Long Time Red

Really poor today

One of many that needs moving on if we want to play out the back and control games
Really poor today? He made more tackles and interceptions in 1 half than any other United player in 90 minutes.

They just let us pass the ball to him, closed him down and promptly won the ball back.
Did they? He completed 13 of his 15 passes.

Dan_F

It feels like a similar argument to De Gea. They both do things that you’d want players in their positions to do well 20 years ago but with the ball they’re a complete hindrance for the modern game.

Dan_F

Did they? He completed 13 of his 15 passes.
Where did those passes go? I’d be shocked if any went forward by more than a yard. I don’t want to pile on, but it’s not just from this game, we can all see how bad he is on the ball compared to top full backs.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I’m gonna call it, when he plays beside the chuckle brothers the nerves spread to him. When he’s with anyone else as a cb pairing he looks a different player
Spot on. I think it's the same with De Gea, he always seems nervous when Maguire is in front of him. But no way was Wan Bissaka the worst player, De Gea, Maguire, the midfield three, Sancho and Martial were all poor tonight.

lsd

The Oracle
I’m gonna call it, when he plays beside the chuckle brothers the nerves spread to him. When he’s with anyone else as a cb pairing he looks a different player

I honestly think we just can't play that defence and De Gea again.

Whatever it is and whoever it is to blame they just seem completely terrified of what each other will do.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's not alone but he's not good enough. He's a good tackler but he can't play football.

Sylar

He defo looked better with varane next to him. Varane is obviously a leader so probably communicates with him a lot (as Shaw said varane did when Shaw played cb next to him)

Strangely thing we should have kept awb, brought on Shaw for Maguire

Dominos

I think him getting subbed was just a way to get Shaw on the pitch rather than a reflection of him being our worst player. Obviously no one had a good game but I don't think he was particularly bad to be honest.

Should start on Sunday against Mitoma.

Remember the geese

People like to kid themselves that he has improved but he's the same player who did ok at times under Ole. Not even close to being good enough but he's far from alone.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People like to kid themselves that he has improved but he's the same player who did ok at times under Ole. Not even close to being good enough but he's far from alone.
What are you talking about. He is 10 times better than under Ole this season and has been one of the more consistent players since coming back from injury.

Remember the geese

What are you talking about. He is 10 times better than under Ole this season and has been one of the more consistent players since coming back from injury.
No, not for me. He had periods under Ole where he did ok. He also had periods where he was beyond useless. He's in a good moment right now, but it's nowhere near good enough. Get rid!

jackal&hyde

No. He was good under Ole, same as Maguire, a key part that got us back in to top 4. The issue for both of them is they are not fit for an attacking high line possession based team.

Similar to Maguire, he can be a very good consistent player for a team that plays more on the counter. Needs to go and one of the few that will get us some decent money in return.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No. He was good under Ole, same as Maguire, a key part that got us back in to top 4. The issue for both of them is they are not fit for an attacking high line possession based team.

Similar to Maguire, he can be a very good consistent player for a team that plays more on the counter. Needs to go and one of the few that will get us some decent money in return.
He has been terrible. A good defender, yes, but terrible going forward. He has improved his form and also attacking play under ETH

spiriticon

I saw him on the left wing for a bit yesterday and nearly spat my drink out.

Ok, I see improvements in your game but stay on the right please.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Lots of positives for him overall this year but he shares his shooting skills with Weghorst..

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ah right. I'm not sure that's ever a good idea, but there you go..:lol:
It was to contain the winger that was against Dalot, but then the winger switched sides to Dalot's side shortly after anyway. Not sure it had the desired affect...

ZainCRse7en

Good fullback on the defensive side of the game but my God, the guy is so horrendous on the ball its actually laughable. He literally enters panic mode when receiving the ball while we build up play from the back. Does not fit in ETH system unfortunately.

Strootman's Finger

Absolutely. One loss and everyone has such a short term memory. He's been in top form since the new year and most of that was playing with Shaw/Varane Martinez/Varane. Can't judge him properly when he has to compensate for Maguire.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good fullback on the defensive side of the game but my God, the guy is so horrendous on the ball its actually laughable. He literally enters panic mode when receiving the ball while we build up play from the back. Does not fit in ETH system unfortunately.
That’s not true

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
AWB's first season was similar to how he's been this season. His second season was a bit worse, then obviously he was one of the worst of a bad group in his third.
He has not been good going forward and that is why fans are surprised by his development

Baxquux

I'd genuinely rather have him and shaw (even with the height issue; CB height didn't much help yesterday on set pieces) as emergency CB partnership as opposed to MagLof. Obviously going forward we need to invest in another suitable CB to challenge and fill-in for Varane/Licha (ideally for the latter) in addition to CF, CM and very likely GK. Maybe one of the CB/RB hybrid options which have been mooted would help...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd genuinely rather have him and shaw (even with the height issue; CB height didn't much help yesterday on set pieces) as emergency CB partnership as opposed to MagLof. Obviously going forward we need to invest in another suitable CB to challenge and fill-in for Varane/Licha (ideally for the latter) in addition to CF, CM and very likely GK. Maybe one of the CB/RB hybrid options which have been mooted would help...
That would be the worst idea on taking Maguire off, from squad management POV.
He'll be our CB for almost the rest of the season. He's a bit fragile mentally, and taking him off won't do us any good in long-term.

Where did those passes go? I’d be shocked if any went forward by more than a yard. I don’t want to pile on, but it’s not just from this game, we can all see how bad he is on the ball compared to top full backs.
Yeah, basically zero progression in either passing or ball carries. Most likely why he was subbed so early.

Ekeke

Ah right. I'm not sure that's ever a good idea, but there you go..:lol:
Pretty sure that was for 10 mins before half time and ETH was going to make a change. He brought Shaw on at left back. He proceeded to constantly pass the ball to the opposition, doing even worse than Dalot or AWB

izec

The AWB boom bust cycle.

He is just not good enough, it shows time and time again against good teams. But wait til he performs well against Leeds and Forest, all will be forgotten.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Like Fred, baffled why he's the first sub or not playing.
Seriously. He's a defender that knows how to defend, which we are in desparate need of with Varane and Martinez out. Don't get me started on Fred. He's doesn't deserve what going on with him, his energy brings so much to the team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The AWB boom bust cycle.

He is just not good enough, it shows time and time again against good teams. But wait til he performs well against Leeds and Forest, all will be forgotten.
Yeah because PSG & MBAPPE are shit. Forgot newcastle who are our direct rivals for top 4? Ten hag even said he was 1 of our best players vs sevilla 1st round so it just shows your post is total bullshit. boom n bust of a post.

gajender

Yeah because PSG & MBAPPE are shit. Forgot newcastle who are our direct rivals for top 4? Ten hag even said he was 1 of our best players vs sevilla 1st round so it just shows your post is total bullshit. boom n bust of a post.
Guess we just need to wait for the summer and see how much Ten Hag rates Wan Bissaka .

Kag

People have been getting all excited about him in recent weeks (and I understand why), but the cold, calculated thing to do this summer is sell him and bring in a more suitable attacking replacement.

Wan-Bissaka is not the answer at right back and never will be. Face up to this and get rid.

Marwood

It feels like a similar argument to De Gea. They both do things that you’d want players in their positions to do well 20 years ago but with the ball they’re a complete hindrance for the modern game.
What do you think football was in 2003?

Dan_F

What do you think football was in 2003?
Primarily stopping the ball going into the net, dealing with crosses. Building up from the back was minimal in the Premier League and keepers starting positions are far further forward now. For a right back defensive solidity was key, anything after that from an attacking point of view was a bonus. In terms of progressing the ball and playing out from the back, it was far more basic.

Status
Not open for further replies.