Aaron Wan Bissaka

Wallez

No way his value will be cut in half, he is a proper layer. IF there was any thought he woldnt be as good why would a club spend £45M on him, especilly with the extra pressure that comes from playing for United?
Of course his value will be reduced if his performances fall, 99% of people in football have a memory that goes no less than 3 months back in time. There are so many examples of clubs that have rejected fantastic offers for players that have overperformed for a short time, but after they started to perform at their normal level nobody want them anymore. While I agree that Wan-Bissaka has looked very solid this season, there is absolutely no guarantee that we will be able to develop into one of the best RBs in the world. All it takes to ruin his career is one unfortunate injury or him loosing the extreme hunger that is needed to make it at the top level.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Depends on whether clubs tried to sign Zaha or whether Zaha wanted out.

In any case, 45 million is shit loads of money for any club, even more for Palace whose revenue is around 140 million.

Here is the thread on their 2017-18 financial results. Loss of 36 million before tax

I still think they should keep him, im not saying its not a lot of money but the way things are going, if he improves next year you could be looking at a lot more. IF they dont need the money selling him would be of no benifit to them. Their owners clearly have money to spend.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Of course his value will be reduced if his performances fall, 99% of people in football have a memory that goes no less than 3 months back in time. There are so many examples of clubs that have rejected fantastic offers for players that have overperformed for a short time, but after they started to perform at their normal level nobody want them anymore. While I agree that Wan-Bissaka has looked very solid this season, there is absolutely no guarantee that we will be able to develop into one of the best RBs in the world. All it takes to ruin his career is one unfortunate injury or him loosing the extreme hunger that is needed to make it at the top level.
You need to make an educated assessment, the fact that one of the biggest clubs in the land are supposedly after him shows that consensus is he will develop into a very good player. Palace dont need te cash, the player doesnt want to move, he is likely to improve next season. There is also a good chance that a move to a club like United could prove to bad for him, the stage, pressure etc.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I still think they should keep him, im not saying its not a lot of money but the way things are going, if he improves next year you could be looking at a lot more. IF they dont need the money selling him would be of no benifit to them. Their owners clearly have money to spend.
I have backed my arguments with numbers, can't go beyond that. Obviously if player don't want to move then it's all nothing argument. If he wants then accepting 45 million is not "incredibly stupid" decision considering the numbers, wages and losses.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I have backed my arguments with numbers, can't go beyond that. Obviously if player don't want to move then it's all nothing argument. If he wants then accepting 45 million is not "incredibly stupid" decision considering the numbers, wages and losses.
Your agreeing with me, I said that if the payer is committed there is no need to acceppt a bid, I said that in my first posting. If he wants out and his head is turned they should consider their options.

You have quoted turnover numbers, none of them are showing they need money so I dont see what they are supposed to show. They have pretty rich owners who have showed they are willing to invest. They have held onto Zaha when both us and Chelsea were linked to him. If they want money Zaha is the player they would sell considering the wages he is on.

Wallez

You need to make an educated assessment, the fact that one of the biggest clubs in the land are supposedly after him shows that consensus is he will develop into a very good player. Palace dont need te cash, the player doesnt want to move, he is likely to improve next season. There is also a good chance that a move to a club like United could prove to bad for him, the stage, pressure etc.
Yes, he will probably develop into a very good player, that is why we are talking about paying extreme amounts of money for him. At 45 mill, which was the number our discussion started at, he would be the 6th most expensive player in the history of Manchester United.

I don't understand why you keep repeating that Palace doesn't need cash, every single club in the world would want to get a fresh cash flow into their budgets. I agree that Palace do not have to sell him to prevent the club economy from collapsing, but selling AWB would probably allow them to double their transfer budget this season.

If you actually believe that AWB would rather want to play for Palace than United, he has absolutely no ambition and will never reach his potential. Of course he would like to move to one of the biggest clubs in the world, where he will have big chances of being our first-choice RB. His salary at United will probably be 10 times as high as well.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes, he will probably develop into a very good player, that is why we are talking about paying extreme amounts of money for him. At 45 mill, which was the number our discussion started at, he would be the 6th most expensive player in the history of Manchester United.

I don't understand why you keep repeating that Palace doesn't need cash, every single club in the world would want to get a fresh cash flow into their budgets. I agree that Palace do not have to sell him to prevent the club economy from collapsing, but selling AWB would probably allow them to double their transfer budget this season.

If you actually believe that AWB would rather want to play for Palace than United, he has absolutely no ambition and will never reach his potential. Of course he would like to move to one of the biggest clubs in the world, where he will have big chances of being our first-choice RB. His salary at United will probably be 10 times as high as well.
I love posters saying things like that, absolute elitest bullshit. I am not saying he wouldnt want to play for United, im saying that for his own career and development at 21 playing week in week out he would be wiser to stay at Palace, the kid has had 42 first team starts ffs. Your responce is "oh, if he doesnt want to play for us he has no ambition".

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I love posters saying things like that, absolute elitest bullshit. I am not saying he wouldnt want to play for United, im saying that for his own career and development at 21 playing week in week out he would be wiser to stay at Palace, the kid has had 42 first team starts ffs.
Have you seen the dread United trot out at RB???

If AWB is as good as advertised he'd be a regular starter for United.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Your agreeing with me, I said that if the payer is committed there is no need to acceppt a bid, I said that in my first posting. If he wants out and his head is turned they should consider their options.

You have quoted turnover numbers, none of them are showing they need money so I dont see what they are supposed to show. They have pretty rich owners who have showed they are willing to invest. They have held onto Zaha when both us and Chelsea were linked to him. If they want money Zaha is the player they would sell considering the wages he is on.
Not sure what else to say if you can't see what those tweets are saying.

No I'm not agreeing with you. Your point was different, that they would be incredibly stupid to accept 45 million offer.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Have you seen the dread United trot out at RB???

If AWB is as good as advertised he'd be a regular starter for United.
He is very good for a 21 year old but he is far from the finished article. If you sign Wan Biassaka you have 2 right backs under 21 costing a total £65M, who have played under 70 senior team matches between them?

Wallez

@InLevyITrust AWB has been nailed on first choice for Palace for the entire season, he was named player of the season for them, and is on the verge of breaking into the national team squad. What more do you think he should achieve at Palace before moving on to bigger tasks? Quality for Europe? Win PL? Win CL? If he is to keep his development he needs to get bigger tasks, which we can offer him.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
@InLevyITrust AWB has been nailed on first choice for Palace for the entire season, he was named player of the season for them, and is on the verge of breaking into the national team squad. What more do you think he should achieve at Palace before moving on to bigger tasks? Quality for Europe? Win PL? Win CL? If he is to keep his development he needs to get bigger tasks, which we can offer him.
What are you on about, a few posts back you were saying his performances could drop off?? :houllier: So how about another season in a smaller pond to strenghten as a player and show he can repeat the perfoamces of this season? What about Dalot?

It seems to me you are trying to make argments for United signing him.

Wallez

@InLevyITrust Just like all talents, his future is unknown. Both Bojan and Messi were extreme players for their age at 18, but their careers have turned out somewhat differently. My point is that Manchester United have so much more money than Palace that we can afford to make this gamble, while Palace would be wise not to. Like I said he has already been named the best player in the Palace squad, which is not the best conditions under which to improve as a player. While it certainly is comfortable to be a big fish in a small pond, the fish that dear to test bigger waters and survive turn out far stronger than the ones that stay in the small pond. What about Dalot? He has been here for an entire season, and has shown nothing that suggests that he is ready to be our first-choice RB. Wan-Bissaka is two years older and has played at a solid PL level.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
@InLevyITrust Just like all talents, his future is unknown. Both Bojan and Messi were extreme players for their age at 18, but their careers have turned out somewhat differently. My point is that Manchester United have so much more money than Palace that we can afford to make this gamble, while Palace would be wise not to. Like I said he has already been named the best player in the Palace squad, which is not the best conditions under which to improve as a player. While it certainly is comfortable to be a big fish in a small pond, the fish that dear to test bigger waters and survive turn out far stronger than the ones that stay in the small pond. What about Dalot? He has been here for an entire season, and has shown nothing that suggests that he is ready to be our first-choice RB. Wan-Bissaka is two years older and has played at a solid PL level.
I think he should stay as he is still very young, he should stay to prove he can repeat the feats of this season. He has came out and publicly said he would like to stay, he has been there all his career and clearly will have some loyalty to them. Its just my opinion, Im not particulary fussed what he does tbh.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Our problem financially is the percentage of our turnover going on wages to substandard players like Benteke who don’t contribute. Selling AWB who is on a comparatively low wage for £45m is not good business for us when his value is only going one way.

Regarding the losses, over the last 2 windows we have released something like 10 players so the wage budget is looking a lot healthier. Definitely no pressure to sell either Wilf or AWB unless the right offers comes in.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Our problem financially is the percentage of our turnover going on wages to substandard players like Benteke who don’t contribute. Selling AWB who is on a comparatively low wage for £45m is not good business for us when his value is only going one way.

Regarding the losses, over the last 2 windows we have released something like 10 players so the wage budget is looking a lot healthier. Definitely no pressure to sell either Wilf or AWB unless the right offers comes in.
Pretty much how I see it, im sure you wish you could offload Benteke.

Verminator

I'll see your Benteke and raise you a team full of Bentekes.

You'd be right to hold onto AWB. His value will probably increase when more teams are in need of strengthening there, especially once he has some International caps.
I guess it will be down to the player, as usual.

AR87

I think he should stay as he is still very young, he should stay to prove he can repeat the feats of this season. He has came out and publicly said he would like to stay, he has been there all his career and clearly will have some loyalty to them. Its just my opinion, Im not particulary fussed what he does tbh.
'But I am with Crystal Palace at the moment. That is where my contract is and that is where I will be next season.

'I have got three years left on my contract. It says I am going to be there, so that is all I can focus on now.'

Real iron clad commitment to Palace there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
'But I am with Crystal Palace at the moment. That is where my contract is and that is where I will be next season.

'I have got three years left on my contract. It says I am going to be there, so that is all I can focus on now.'

Real iron clad commitment to Palace there.
I think it is to be fair. He is showing his
comitment and not burning any bridges for his future. Refreshing to see a young guy not throwing his toys out of the park for money.

Bowlcut11

I think he's got to be our number on priority for right back. I'd have been interested in Cancelo when these rumours seemed to have legs but now that they've died off...who else is there?

He's the best fullback in the league defensively and he does offer a lot going forward regardless of what some would lead you to believe. He might have said he's committed to Palace but I'd imagine that's him wanting to not completely ruin his relationship with the club in case a move doesn't go through.

Litch

Probably said a million times before on here and no disrespect to Palace but if a player would sooner want to stay there than the opportunity to challenge himself on a bigger stage, then that's mentally (not necessarily ability wise) is where his ceiling is at. Different if you are going from one big club to another, other factors come into play but from CP to Utd, to suggest players wouldn't want to double their earning potential on and off the pitch; world wide profile; international potential; playing at OT; better players; better fecking everything......

Its absolutely stupid to suggest otherwise. Zaha proved even if it doesn't work out, you can learn from the experience and even go back....

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Right-back should be the no.1 priority this season.

Pay whatever it costs.

I just don't want to see Ashley Young with the captain's armband, the first game of the season, eating bird shit.

Litch

I think it is to be fair. He is showing his
comitment and not burning any bridges for his future. Refreshing to see a young guy not throwing his toys out of the park for money.
Def said the right thing and not sure what else he could say. Even if it's not us, I'll be astonished if he's still there next season.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Tbf I think he’d be interested in the move if the clubs agreed a fee, it’s not often a 21 year old with 40 odd senior appearances can walk straight in to a starting spot at one of the biggest clubs in the world (though maybe that says more about Man Utd right now!). I also think he’ll be happy to stick around this season if the right offer doesn’t come in though.

Taking our board’s view I am looking at the RB position at all of the top clubs...Man Utd are desperate for some quality there, City will want to replace Walker in the next season or two, Azpi is getting older at Chelsea, Trippier is aging at Spurs, Bellerin isn’t great at Arsenal, Liverpool have talked about moving TAA to midfield for years. It’s low risk to hold out for our asking price this summer as all of these will be in the market again before long. In other words, pay up if you want him!

Nialinho

I really like AWB but I wouldn't really wanna spend North of £45 Million. If we're not willing to pay the big bucks to get him, we should try and poach Reece James from Chelsea. Been an absolute beast at Wigan and I don't think he'll be a starter for Chelsea next year. Could reach the levels of TAA if given the opportunity.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Right-back should be the no.1 priority this season.

Pay whatever it costs.

I just don't want to see Ashley Young with the captain's armband, the first game of the season, eating bird shit.
We will buy a RB and cheer when he comes out onto the pitch..

Followed by Ashley Young who’s now been moved to LB as Luke Shaw has been moved to CB

Litch

I really like AWB but I wouldn't really wanna spend North of £45 Million. If we're not willing to pay the big bucks to get him, we should try and poach Reece James from Chelsea. Been an absolute beast at Wigan and I don't think he'll be a starter for Chelsea next year. Could reach the levels of TAA if given the opportunity.
Great call. Watched him play against us a youth level and was one of their best players in a pool of top, top young players that they have. He's like Ashley Cole with muscles. Can't see Chelsea selling him tbh....

Fosu-Mens

With AWB and Shaw as fullbacks, Lindelof would be the only defender among our starters offering anything when on the ball...

If we buy AWB on the basis that he can play multiple positions(LB, RB and CDM) and the coaching staff believes that they can significantly improve him on the ball, then yes it would make sense. Buying him as our long term RB, with the likes of Laird and Dalot at the club makes little sense.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Attached offensive and passing stats from Whoscored.com in the spoiler below. Also included a comparison of AWB and TAA, and yes, it got quite ugly. Remember they play for very different sides :wenger:

Thanks mate. Appreciate it. Its not even a comparison

Kaglish10

We have our own O'Connor and Laird. One of them should be able to take over the fullback role. If Aaron wasn't given the chance to emerge after Fosu Mensah injury, he would still be in crystal palace youth team.

DesiAce83

Would be better to invest 20m on Meunier and save the money for other upgrades. Muenier is better than Young and will allow Laird and Dalot to get minutes to develop

DownRiver

I honestly don't think I could watch another season of AWB. His defensive superiority would always cover for his clear inability to attack; he looks like a newborn giraffe trying to find its feet whenever he is on the ball!

This frustrates more because I know that we are not looking for replacements because he has just been signed.

Anyone else noticed that opposition teams have either left him to dwindle on the ball or pressured him because of his inability to have an impact on the ball?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I honestly don't think I could watch another season of AWB. His defensive superiority would always cover for his clear inability to attack; he looks like a newborn giraffe trying to find its feet whenever he is on the ball!

This frustrates more because I know that we are not looking for replacements because he has just been signed.

Anyone else noticed that opposition teams have either left him to dwindle on the ball or pressured him because of his inability to have an impact on the ball?
I hope I'm wrong for obvious reasons but I can see you guys trying hard to sign Lamptey within a couple of years.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope I'm wrong for obvious reasons but I can see you guys trying hard to sign Lamptey within a couple of years.
Is he good at football? If he is he'd be an upgrade...

I don't mean to do AWB dirty like that I'm just pissed. He needs to improve massively on the ball.

Walters_19_MuFc

Why not the player performance thread?