Abortion

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Wibble i don't want go stretch this discussion any longer so this will be my last post arguing about it but I don't find your argument about man not being able to have their opinions on the matter very compelling, first of it it reminds me a lot about the arguments against female suffrage( how could woman involve themselves in manly things such as war and politics hur dur , you get my point).
Secondly you set a precedent that only works if you're already pro choice(a woman's body her choice) something which is simply refuted by the opposing side(the woman can't take the choice to terminate the life of the unborn as his/her right to live trumps the mothers right to choose)

Finally the statistics show that there really isn't a meaningful difference among man and woman regarding attitudes toward abortion (in fact the first poll i found on the subject on pew shows it to be pretty even in those regards).

There are many compelling arguments in favor of abortion that I a fervent anti abortionist can acknowledge, this isn't one its counterproductive and simply leads to more toxicity by trying to gather guard the subject.

That's all.
Bolded makes no logical sense. If you truly find an argument against your position to be compelling then you would be compelled change your position. This is the nature of a rational decision maker. Your last sentence is either gaslighting or irrational - there is no third option.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If only American conservatives cared as much about actual living people as they do about "the unborn".

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The next time it's discovered that some Republican got an abortion in a liberal state, Democrats have to jump on that and exploit it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The hopelessness I would be feeling right now if I was American. You're delusional if you think this will stop at abortion. Gay and transgender rights are next on the chopping block.
Democrats don't realise what they're up against.

Ady87

Boebert and MTG need to get in the bin.

I’ve heard some ‘pro-life’ arguments today that are fairly compelling and I’ve been pro-choice my entire life. That said, it’s always ultimately undermined by the other life choices (2A) made by these people and their attempts to reconcile the two completely put me off as they always fumble the argument.

Cloud7

In my few years as a doctor I’ve seen some scary, scary things happen to women while they are pregnant. The average person does not grasp just how many health complications can arise in a woman during pregnancy, as well as after pregnancy, and just how significant the morbidity and mortality from these conditions are. I have no qualms in saying that pregnancy is the riskiest thing your average woman will ever do in her life.

For these reasons, in my opinion, no woman should ever be made to continue with a pregnancy unless she is absolutely certain that she wishes to. I don’t apologize for saying that the life of an existing person is more valuable than a potential life. Religion, ethics, father’s rights, none of that is even the tiniest bit significant when compared to the health of the woman. The Bible, the priest, the ham in the US Congress, they aren’t the ones at risk of dying while continuing with a pregnancy they don’t want to.
Going to just rehash this here as my position has not and will not ever change. The bolded line is especially important to me.

Withnail

Going to just rehash this here as my position has not and will not ever change. The bolded line is especially important to me.
I think that the point you make about it being the most dangerous thing the average woman will do in her life is not taken with the gravity it deserves by the anti-abortion side. They literally want to legislate that a woman should be forced to go through the most dangerous 9 months of her life against her will.

Cloud7

I think that the point you make about it being the most dangerous thing the average woman will do in her life is not taken with the gravity it deserves by the anti-abortion side. They literally want to legislate that a woman should be forced to go through the most dangerous 9 months of her life against her will.
Not just the 9 months either. You can get heart disease, thyroid disease, psychiatric conditions post partum as well. Postpartum cardiac disease in particular can end up being disastrous, as I have seen.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well said.

Republicans are pro life when it comes to abortions and anti life when it comes to gun control?
Conservatives love the fetus, but hate the baby & the woman.

Conservatives love the war, but hate the soldier & the vet.

Conservatives love the business, but hate the worker.

Remember, it is compassionate conservatism after all.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Conservatives love the fetus, but hate the baby & the woman.

Conservatives love the war, but hate the soldier & the vet.

Conservatives love the business, but hate the worker.

Remember, it is compassionate conservatism after all.
The World is run by a*holes. Racist sexist bigoted a*holes.

Denis79

The hopelessness I would be feeling right now if I was American. You're delusional if you think this will stop at abortion. Gay and transgender rights are next on the chopping block.
I'm amazed that the country doesn't just split up in two and go their merry ways. You got one half who believes in gun-laws, some sort of medical security for all, freedom of sexuality, women's rights, a side that believes in science and working towards a better world. And then you got the others... Which I would place somewhere between the Taliban and Saudi- Arabia.

NotworkSte

I'm amazed that the country doesn't just split up in two and go their merry ways. You got one half who believes in gun-laws, some sort of medical security for all, freedom of sexuality, women's rights, a side that believes in science and working towards a better world. And then you got the others... Which I would place somewhere between the Taliban and Saudi- Arabia.
The answer to this is, they can't afford it. Most of these states are net takers. Floridas bumper budget bill was part funded by over $3B covid relief fund, but you won't hear Desantis talking about that.

Withnail

The answer to this is, they can't afford it. Most of these states are net takers. Floridas bumper budget bill was part funded by over $3B covid relief fund, but you won't hear Desantis talking about that.
Most of which states are net-takers? Don't tell me the more liberal states are funding these lunatics.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Is there time for Biden to stick up the middle finger and simply expand the Court with another 5 justices? - Id guess he would have to do this before the mid terms (looking at polling)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Most of which states are net-takers? Don't tell me the more liberal states are funding these lunatics.
All states are net takers, but how much they take per capita is the difference. This dashboard is a good way to look at it. The lower the number the lower the difference between what is paid and what is paid out. It's not as simple as "only the red states" as Virginia is the "worst" and Texas is the 7th best, but in general the red states are worse.

Balance of Payments Portal | Rockefeller Institute of Government (rockinst.org)

Withnail

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is there time for Biden to stick up the middle finger and simply expand the Court with another 5 justices? - Id guess he would have to do this before the mid terms (looking at polling)
He can't even gather a majority to end the filibuster. He doesn't have a prayer of expanding the court.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
We’ll said. For the vast majority of anti choice proponents this is about control, not life. Never has been.
Exactly this. It's more of a power play.
Well said.

Republicans are pro life when it comes to abortions and anti life when it comes to gun control?
There's a large number of children in America who are suffering due to homelessness, abuse, sex trafficking etc and where is the outrage to save those lives? If you care so much about children why not help the ones that are suffering daily?

Well said. Imagine the outrage if the law could force you to get an abortion? Every part of the religious right would be screaming about women's freedom.

If you object to abortion then don't have one but don't inflict your views on others.
Like most posters in this thread are pointing out, it's all about control. It's just blatant abuse of power. If they are so concerned about saving lives, what about the lives of the women who will definitely die due to some backroom abortion? There will be an increase in illegal abortion clinics that will charge extravagant amounts of money with no concern for the lives of those women. People will be exploited and left to die. Guess those lives are expendable in their attempt to "do what is morally right"

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is a thing right now, deleting period tracker apps for fear the collected data would be used against them by red state AGs in case they had an abortion or miscarried…

Bosws87

The U.S.A taking another step to self destruction its coming just how long will it take.

Shouldn't even be up for discussion leave it to the women to decide.