Abysmal penalty shootout record

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fecking hell De Gea any chance of diving the right way?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It take effort to be as bad as De Gea

izec

Our hope is the opponents missing. Hit the target and it goes in. March was not smart there

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Fair enough to the shooters, some amazing penalties. Special mention to Sabitzer and Wout, it's probably not easy to take the fifth and sixth.

Someone

Something
Having a keeper good at penalties can be the difference in winning 3 or 4 trophies over a decade. De Gea's record is horrific.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
DdG is shite, indeed. Sanchez saved 5 of our pens and yet somehow we won. Some of you lot...

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We should replace our no1 goalie for the penalty catching ability alone. He's probably the absolutely worst record in the history of football..

Leg-End

De Gea is seriously unbelievably bad at it, for such a good shot stopper it’s ridiculous really.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Honestly, DDG is a joke at pens. For such a good keeper, shocking how he cannot save even one for about ten years

RoyH1

Next time I’d take de Gea out before a penalty shootout. He’s pretty useless with these

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Thank goodness Sancho and Rashford scored

laughtersassassin

In terms of the penalties the only good thing De Gea did was scuffing the penalty spot.

But atleast he played well in normal time

lsd

The Oracle
It seemed like every penalty went in the same corner while De Gea just dived to the other side

Dempsey19

De Gea has faced 72 penalties in his career and only kept 13 out. I don't know how many of those didn't hit the target.

This excludes penalty shootouts obviously.

That's abysmal.

SuperiorXI

It felt like that Europa League shootout today where no matter how many times we scored we'd still lose eventually. Luckily this time it didn't get to the goalkeepers.

lolok

Fecking hell De Gea any chance of diving the right way?
On his water bottle was written which way to go vs which penalty taker. Not sure this is the best idea--- this shootout was similar to Moscow with every Brighton player shooting to the left of the keeper bar 1. Didn't Chelsea shoot to the left of VDS on every attempt before he finally pointed to the left when Anelka came up and Anelka shot to VDS' right and was saved.

RoyKeaneReborn

I found it a bit strange. Happy if anyone corrects me. Usually for coin toss before the penalties, the winner picks the goal with the home fans behind (obviously). The loser of the coin-toss would usually pick to go ahead with the first kick isn't it? We ended up with Brighton fans behind the goal AND shooting second instead of going first. So much fecking pressure especially when we know DDG is hopeless at saving penalties. Kudos to our players for staying cool and putting away their shots.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're actually very good at taking pens. Even the Europa League final, we scored every single one. Today we took off Bruno, Eriksen, Martial... and still were impeccable taking them. Single reason for having a shit record is because De Gea is so useless with them

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Anyone other than De Gea in goal and Ole would have had a European trophy on his CV. We’re good in shootouts, even players whom you don’t expect to be, but he handicaps us every time.

SAFMUTD

It's amazing how many shots he faces and dives to the wrong side. It should be about 33% but it seems way less.

I have zero faith in him saving any. Thank god March skied it today.

dove

De Gea has faced 72 penalties in his career and only kept 13 out. I don't know how many of those didn't hit the target.

That's abysmal.
Do we have stats including penalty shootouts? I bet it would add like 40 more to non saved side :lol: Shocking.

Chief123

That's abysmal.
A few of them will include players missing including the Solly March one today! He really is atrocious at them.

I can’t understand how a GK who’s outstanding strength is shot stopping is so poor at stopping a shot in a shootout.

dogwithabone

De Gea doesn’t really dive for pens, he just sort of flops to the floor. The only way we were winning that was the way it happened - us sh*t hot from the spot and them missing the target with one.

Dempsey19

A few of them will include players missing including the Solly March one today! He really is atrocious at them.

I can’t understand how a GK who’s outstanding strength is shot stopping is so poor at stopping a shot in a shootout.
Well the Solly March one isnt included as the statistics I gave above EXCLUDE penalty shootouts. It would make for grim reading if I could get those stats too.

dove

Well the Solly March one isnt included as the statistics I gave above EXCLUDE penalty shootouts. It would make for grim reading if I could get those stats too.
So I did some quick research and if my maths is correct, De Gea's record in penalty shootouts for us is 2-21 (2 missing the target, so not a single actual save). He took part in 3 of 7 penalty shootouts during his time at the club. According to this https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/elfmeterschiessen/verein/985

Chief123

Oh dear! He’s had 19 penalties faced in his last 2 shootouts and hasn’t saved one of them!

Chief123

De Gea doesn’t really dive for pens, he just sort of flops to the floor. The only way we were winning that was the way it happened - us sh*t hot from the spot and them missing the target with one.
His dive reminds me of those sloppy poops which don’t give you any trouble coming out but don’t really make an impact hitting the water either. They just slither to the bottom quietly and politely.

lsd

The Oracle
De Gea has saved a couple of penalties in normal time for us hasn't he? I'm nearly sure he has made some crucial stops for us in penalties but in shootouts that goes out the window