AC Milan 2017/18

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Montella is not the best manager. Their window was good, but i think that Montella doesnt get the best ouf of them. Romagnoli, Bonaventura and Andre Silva on the bench i dont understand. Borini should be nowhere near the starting lineup. Cutrone is still only 19, i dont know if it wouldnt be better to start with Kalinic or Andre Silva. I would change the tactic and play with 2 strikers in a 532. But a lot of players are new and need to gel, main objective should be to reach the CL and get better players in the next summer to rebuild further.
I agree they have a good team for a 352 system. Bonucci is good to build play, but he is a mediocre defender with the additional problem of not being aware of his limitations. when he plays with two strong markers/defenders his qualities are more evident while his faults less. Eventually Milan will play 352 and should do a good season although not as good as its media fanfare claimed

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
:lol: It can happen to lose, maybe not in this way, against Lazio. You are underrating Simone Inzaghi. He's a great young manager.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Andrea Conti might be out for 4-6 months with a torn cruciate, confirmation will be given within the next 24-48 hours :(

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
The derby della Madonnina is in a month and tickets are already sold out, unless anyone's loaded enough to get corporate tickets. Was really hoping to catch this game but seems unlikely now.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
The derby della Madonnina is in a month and tickets are already sold out, unless anyone's loaded enough to get corporate tickets. Was really hoping to catch this game but seems unlikely now.
Expected, as both Milan and Inter look good this season.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Can Musacchio play RB?

I really don't think that Milan fans want to go back to Abate.

NYAS

I saw that match on the schedule yesterday and got so excited, it's on a Sunday night and that day is terrible for football because all the big clubs are in the Champions League so they all play on the Saturday. But this Sunday night derby makes it a great end to the weekend. :drool:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
ACL ruptured for Conti. Out for at least 6 months. This throws a massive spanner in going back to a 3-5-2.

Dismember

Can Musacchio play RB?

I really don't think that Milan fans want to go back to Abate.
Well Milan are now probably going to play a 3-5-2 . Interestingly this fits Conti so much and the moment they made the switch Conti is out for the season. Its ridiculous bad luck. Conti was my favourite signing this year even more than bonucci signing. Anyway, since hes out, Abate can play as wingback on the right, but throughout the years while his defense has improved a bit his offense has stagnated, so although as a young kid he was a RM/RWB, now hes more fit as RB actually. He can still fill that role but hell be very average in a position that needs high level performances. Calabria could be used there, but he has failed as right back so bad already this season, and although he plays better as wingback, dont know how easy it will be to play him again because fans are really frustrated with him, but its his natural position so he could be given a chance again.

Those are the two players who'se RWB is their natural position. But Montella could use Bonaventura if needed since he's the joker in the team who can play everywhere and perform so well each time. Or he could simply decide to have that wingback role for Borini because by doing that he will have an extra offensive "threat" while at the same time use Borini's hard work rate to move up and down the pitch. Defensively he would be poor but against low to mid level teams he would be enough, and against bigger teams more defensively experienced Abate could the take the role.

Of course Milan could decide on simply not continuing with 3-5-2 and instead play 4 at the back, then Mussachhio could play as right back rotating with Abate, but as wingback Musacchio will feel out of place. I think hes even better as a midfielder than a wingback.

So pissed Conti got injured, the best signing by far for Milan and this happens. He sprained his ankle two weeks ago and while recovering tore his ACL, I hope its not because the medical team or the coach tried to speed his return and forced him to work with less pressure on the ankles and more on the knees ...this could explain why he would have such an injury while in training ? Because why would he tear his ACL when he's still on light training recovering from a sprained ankle ?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Calhanoglu apparently forgot that he had already been booked, before his red card against Roma. Stupid way to miss the upcoming derby.

stubie

Rumours doing the rounds that Ancelotti has been lined up to replace Montella

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Their window was not as good as most people claim here. They essentially bought raw potential, not developed players. There's a big difference between that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its very difficult to change an entire squad in 1 transfer window and do well.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Rumours doing the rounds that Ancelotti has been lined up to replace Montella
Wouldn't be surprising.

Does Donnarumma have that release clause in his contract if they don't make the CL next season? I know there were rumours but don't know if it was confirmed.

They'll find it tough to overtake four of the teams above them. Napoli and Juve look like they've got two of the CL spots locked down (even this early in the season) while Inter are doing very well too.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
According to Italian media, Ancelotti will not be taking over Milan, as he'd rather have a fresh start with a team next year than joining someone mid campaign now. Montella may survive this season, purely due to a lack of better options.

Devil may care

I saw there game with Roma today and I thought they played ok, it would be harsh to sack Montella as there were 9 new players in the starting 11, it takes time to gel a team.

Nedved

Their window was not as good as most people claim here. They essentially bought raw potential, not developed players. There's a big difference between that.
Bonucci, Biglia, Musacchio, Rodriguez, and Kalinic are very established.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Their spending was too much focused on quantity instead of quality. They also underestimated opponents imho: Juve and Napoli are very good these days, Spalletti makes Inter very solid and Roma / Lazio are energetic enough to win more games than them. Milan needs a better coach and a gameplan to challenge for a CL spot, not a bunch of average and above average but disjointed players.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Except for Bonucci, those are actually very underwhelming players.
Difficult to disagree here. Musacchio was good... on old FM versions. Never lived to the hype.

Rodriguez was a decent business, he did some solid seasons at Germany, but he never developed into the player he was expected to be. It was a worthy gamble, but he's really not stepping up.

Biglia and Kalinic are players with very decent careers, but definitely not outstanding.

Their main strategy was to hire those u23 players with potential and already a decent career, but by some reason they just couldn't take off. Milan took the gamble and hired those kind of players like André Silva, Kessiê, Conti, Calhanoglu and hope them to develop and push the team forward. Unfortunately for them, those players are doing well, but they are not turning into world beaters at the moment.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If Fabio Borini is a signing you deemed worthwhile then you've not had a good summer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
When you sign as many players as they have you can't expect them to click instantly, especially when the team wasn't doing that well to begin with.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
When you sign as many players as they have you can't expect them to click instantly, especially when the team wasn't doing that well to begin with.
Let's not kid ourselves: only Rodriguez, Bonucci and maybe Kessie are top-team materials.

el3mel

It looks tough for them. Juve, Napoli and Latsio are instant top 3 imo, then you have Inter and Roma in good form and challenging for 4th. I can't see how they'll break into top 4 this season.

They need a new manager and still need some better signings. They need at least one or 2 more season to get a CL qualification.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
It looks tough for them. Juve, Napoli and Latsio are instant top 3 imo, then you have Inter and Roma in good form and challenging for 4th. I can't see how they'll break into top 4 this season.

They need a new manager and still need some better signings. They need at least one or 2 more season to get a CL qualification.
They only chance to qualify to the Champions League again is to win the Europa League.

AkaAkuma

Wasn't the financing of this project a bit of a gamble by the group who took control? What happens if they don't make the CL this season?

Santos J

Let's not kid ourselves: only Rodriguez, Bonucci and maybe Kessie are top-team materials.
Wouldn't even say Rodriguez is top team material. Bonucci was definitely the only really impressive signing, all their other signings are players Milan could have bought every summer, it's only because they signed them all in one window that people got excited and went over the top with the hype.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Serie A really wants Milano's clubs back to the top because they make audience abroad and the package would be sold better, that's why the nauseating hype.

MP1711

Tuchel?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Milan and Adidas' union is about to end (in June 2018). They are currently negotiating with Puma, who already sponsor the Italian national team.

The parties could agree on a contract that would oscillate between 10 and 15 milons per season, to which any bonuses will be added according to team results (Adidas guaranteed 19.7 million a year).

However, New Balance and Under Armor options are not yet excluded. As far as the official car sponsor is concerned, following the end of the relationship with Audi, Volvo and Volkswagen are the frontrunners.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Kalinic is out of the derby. He limped out of training. Montella will probably play a 3-5-2, with Suso and Andre Silva up top, and a back three of Bonucci, Musacchio, Romagnoli. Midfield should be Kessie, Biglia and Bonaventura.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Milan and Adidas' union is about to end (in June 2018). They are currently negotiating with Puma, who already sponsor the Italian national team.

The parties could agree on a contract that would oscillate between 10 and 15 milons per season, to which any bonuses will be added according to team results (Adidas guaranteed 19.7 million a year).

However, New Balance and Under Armor options are not yet excluded. As far as the official car sponsor is concerned, following the end of the relationship with Audi, Volvo and Volkswagen are the frontrunners.
Seems strange they’re possibly going for a kit deal worth less than the old one, especially in the current market of overinflated fees for everything.

Adidas and Milan have been partners for as long as I remember. Will take some getting used to seeing them in a different brand.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Seems strange they’re possibly going for a kit deal worth less than the old one, especially in the current market of overinflated fees for everything.

Adidas and Milan have been partners for as long as I remember. Will take some getting used to seeing them in a different brand.
There's too much uncertainty involved with the Milan clubs currently. They'll need to be regulars in the CL for at least 2/3/4 years before they can start asking for big money from sponsors. As things stand, Milan will be potentially under new ownership within the next 12 months. There are just far too many variables involved.