Academy/U18s Milk Cup Schedule Announced

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Manchester United will travel to Northern Ireland again at the end of July to participate in the Milk Cup.

The prestigious youth tournament has become a permanent fixture in the calendar for the Reds with the club winning the Premier Section in 2008 and 2009.

"It will be quite a young team in the Milk Cup this year as there will only be about two or three second-year scholars going," Academy head coach Paul McGuinness told ManUtd.com.

"It’s a very young team with a number of schoolboys so it will be interesting."

United meet Co Antrim, Strikers FC South Coast and Tus Altenberge at three different venues next month.

More: 2012/2013 fixtures & results | Pick of the 2012 Milk Cup goals

Monday 29 July:
v Co Antrim (N.Ireland)
20:00 kick-off
Showgrounds, Ballymena
Tuesday 30 July:
v Strikers FC South Coast (Australia)
20:00 kick-off
Showgrounds, Coleraine
Wednesday 31 July:
v TuS Altenberge (Germany)
19:00 kick-off
Scroggy Road, Limavady

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Surprised that no squad has been declared so far.

What do we expect the squad to be?

jb8521

Were bringing Oliver McBurnie a young striker from Bradford due to injuries to a couple of our attacking players. Ruairi Croskery, Callum Nicholas, Jordan Thompson and Charlie Scott are the only ones I've heard are going so far

Danish Wizard

The squad
Joel Castro Pereira, Kieran O'Hara, Axel Tuanzebe, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Scott McTominay, Jordan Thompson, Joe Riley, Matthew Willock, Demetri Mitchell, Ruari Croskery, Callum Nicholas, Oliver Rathbone, Marcus Rashford, Charlie Scott, Andreas Pereira, Vashiko Dick, Oliver McBurnie.

jb8521

Tyler Reid who used to play for Arsenal is in the squad aswell

humdinger

The squad
Joel Castro Pereira, Kieran O'Hara, Axel Tuanzebe, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Scott McTominay, Jordan Thompson, Joe Riley, Matthew Willock, Demetri Mitchell, Ruari Croskery, Callum Nicholas, Oliver Rathbone, Marcus Rashford, Charlie Scott, Andreas Pereira, Vashiko Dick, Oliver McBurnie.
Axel Tuanzebe - Awesome name!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
The squad
:drool:

Heffo

Excited for this. Young team but really looking forward to seeing Rashford, Mitchell and Perreira in the same team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Vashiko Dick- Now that's a name!

Brightonian

Excited for this. Young team but really looking forward to seeing Rashford, Mitchell and Perreira in the same team.
You realise Joel Pereira is a young keeper, right? Andreas Pereira isn't involved (too old for the competition now.)

Heffo

Uh oh. I made a bad one. :o

Apologies Heffo, I seem to have gone selectively blind.
No worries, I'm actually looking forward to seeing a bit more of that Pereira as well.

So do we know if there is going to be any live games for this, or is it going to be highlights only?

I haven't seen a schedule this year, but going off the last couple of years they haven't shown any live matches in the group stages as far as I remember, the last time they did that was when Brady, Ravel, Keane X2 etc. tore up the tournament. If there's live games they will more than likely be in the knock-out stages and then the final is almost always televised.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Milk Cup, Monday 29 July:
CO ANTRIM 0

MANCHESTER UNITED 3
(McBurney 5, Mitchell 16, Croskery 23)

29/07/2013 21:53, Report by Mike Shaw

Co Antrim 0 United 3

Manchester United's youngsters kicked off the 2013 Milk Cup campaign with a comfortable win over County Antrim at the Ballymena Showgrounds.
An early goal helped settle any nerves the Reds might have had as Andreas Pereira's free-kick caused havoc in the and Bradford's Oliver McBurney, with the club on work experience, stabbed home from six yards out.
It was one-way traffic and Demetri Mitchell doubled the advantage, capping a fine solo run with a slightly fortuitous deflected finish.
Ruairi Croskery's fine free-kick completed the scoring, the lead allowing Brian McClair to give a run-out to almost his whole squad ahead of games with South Coast Strikers and TuS Altenberge in the days to come.
United: O'Hara; Reid, Tuanzebe (Scott 62), Borthwick-Jackson, Thompson; Riley (Rathbone 62), Willock, A.Pereira (Nicholas 58), Mitchell (Rashford 46); Croskery (McTominay 50), McBurney.

jb8521

A few people who were at the match saying Pereira was a cut above and that Riley impressed aswell

jb8521

How does that work then... what do we get out of it, preference on signing him in the future?
We were short on strikers due to injury to Devonte Redmond and the fact our under 15s are playing in the Nike cup next week and have a good relationship with Bradford so asked if we could bring one of theirs along and they recommended McBurnie. We've done it in the past in the Milk Cup with Michael Ngoo who actually scored for us in the final a few years ago and earned himself a move to Liverpool and in the Aegon Cup last year with Sean Goss who we ended up signing last summer

Sir A1ex

Cheers jb, informative stuff!

I must get back to the transfer forum and start screaming at people about speculative nonsense I ahve no real knowledge of again now...

PS18

And we've used keepers from Leeds and Newcastle in Marveld/MUPC in recent years (among other players)

jb8521

United v Strikers FC 1 J Pereira, 2 Reid, 3 Thompson, 4 Tuanzebe, 5 Borthwick-Jackson, 7 Riley, 8 Willock, 9 Croskery, 10 McBurnie, 11 Mitchell, 14 A Pereira