Academy/U18s Milk Cup Schedule Announced

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Wow, I didn't realize Pereira is that young! Born on January 1, so he was 16 for half of last season.

He has a strong ability to create from the center of the pitch, another one who is probably best as a central attacking midfielder in a 4231. I would say his name came up more than any other players in the match reports last season for making and scoring goals.

jb8521

I hadn't thought of that but it's an excellent point. Particularly if we think about that wonderful period at the start of last season in the U18s when he, Daehli and Pearson were all flying, and demolishing opponents regularly. Whereas Daehli and Pearson were the heartbeat of that team, there was sometimes a feeling as if Pereira was the 'hired talent'. He was excellent, but he didn't necessarily make himself an integral part of the game. The phrase is often used emptily but like you say, the best way to describe it is that he was 'playing within himself'.

And he certainly has the potential to be more of a game-runner. For such a tricksy flair player he has a very well-rounded game. Good passer and a really excellent tackler. His tackles are one of the strongest parts of his game. So he could easily become a real 'heart of the side' sort of player.

Still incredible to think how young he is. In most clubs he could already be starting for the first team, at just 17 years of age.
Yeah I think if he had stayed at PSV he would be around the first team along with Bakkali who made his debut for them in the Champions League match the other night. If he continues to develop this season and depending who goes out on loan I could see him getting the same type of push as Januzaj got last year he definitely has the talent to step up but we have an awful lot of midfielders to give game time to in the under 21s

jb8521

Team v Cherry Orchard: J.Pereira, Reid, Thompson, Tuanzebe, Borthwick-Jackson, Riley, Willock, Croskery, McBurnie, Mitchell, A.Pereira.

jb8521

McBurnies giving a good account of hmself anyway

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Nice, the 2 players who caught my eye, hope they continue to impress.

jb8521

Im very impressed with what I've seen of Riley so far from what Id heard he was usually a right back or central midfielder but looks to have plenty of flair going forward aswell and very quick feet, looks to be a very well rounded player.

Genius Me!

Jb have you seen any of the matches or do you just get your info from twitter and the highlight videos?

jb8521

Have seen the extended highlights of the first two matches. I was planning on going up to it but left it too late and the only decent accommodation I could find was ridiculously overpriced so didnt bother. I'll probably go to the Hibernia tournament the under 15s are playing in Dublin in 2 weeks time

Heffo

Have seen the extended highlights of the first two matches. I was planning on going up to it but left it too late and the only decent accommodation I could find was ridiculously overpriced so didnt bother. I'll probably go to the Hibernia tournament the under 15s are playing in Dublin in 2 weeks time

You have any details on this? Might try and get to some of the games if I'm around.

jb8521

Finished 3-1 final tomorrow agianst Tyrone on the BBC red button from 7.20

Brightonian

United 3 Cherry Orchard 1

Manchester United cruised into the Milk Cup final in style, turning in their best performance of the competition so far en route to seeing off Dublin-based side Cherry Orchard.
After 10 cagey opening minutes, Oliver McBurnie finished well following a neat move. Within minutes, it was two, Demetri Mitchell and McBurnie forcing a stunning double save from the Cherry Orchard goalkeeper but Joe Riley was on hand to ram home the rebound from six yards. McBurney grabbed his second from close range after the visiting defence failed to deal with a low Andreas Pereira cross.
With victory almost assured by that first-half burst, Paul McGuinness granted opportunities to members of the squad and, despite Connor Foley's well-taken goal six minutes from the time, the Dubliners were unable to recover.
United have now reached the final of the competition for a record 11th time and will meet Co Tyrone on Friday with the trophy up for grabs.
United: J.Pereira; Reid (Dick 62), Tuanzebe, Borthwick-Jackson, Thompson; Riley (Scott 62), Willock (Rashford 45), A.Pereira, Mitchell; Croskery (McTominay 45), McBurnie (Nicholas 55).

jb8521

Cheers, I'd say I'll definitely go to one of the days if not all 3. I know news about players at that age-group is difficult to come across, but are there any promising talents you've heard of?
Not sure of the squad that will be coming over but we have a young lad called Angel Gomes who might be in the squad although he might be a bit young. His father Gil was a Portuguese under 21 international and his brother Rico used to be on our books heres a video of him

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Tyrone have done fantastically well to get to the final, the local county sides usually struggle a bit in this. United seem to be strolling this tournament, can only really see one winner.
Yeah, if memory serves the locals are more often than not outclassed by half decent sides but Tyrone caused a major upset by beating us last year, so you never know. We absolutely destroyed them in 2011 though.

GloryHunter07

Cracking goals from Pereria the other day, this topic is giving great respite from the transfer madness at the moment.

Genius Me!

Not sure of the squad that will be coming over but we have a young lad called Angel Gomes who might be in the squad although he might be a bit young. His father Gil was a Portuguese under 21 international and his brother Rico used to be on our books heres a video of him
You saying this kid is in our squad?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You saying this kid is in our squad?

Well he was in the squad for U15 in a cup we played in Turkey in April of this year. So I'm presuming he should be.

Genius Me!

Well he was in the squad for U15 in a cup we played in Turkey in April of this year. So I'm presuming he should be.
Oh nice, he looks quite good, but how many of these young kids have looked good when faced with inferior opponents.

Any idea how old he was in that video, didn't look anywhere near 14-15 there or maybe I'm just not good with ages.

Whatever happened with that Australian kid, is he still with us do you know?

jb8521

Oh nice, he looks quite good, but how many of these young kids have looked good when faced with inferior opponents.

Any idea how old he was in that video, didn't look anywhere near 14-15 there or maybe I'm just not good with ages.

Whatever happened with that Australian kid, is he still with us do you know?
Hes only going to be 13 in a couple of weeks so he would only have been 11 in that video

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Kick off in the final not long away now. Plenty of streams available for this and on bbc red button.

Looking forward to see this group express themselves and if they could get a win that would be great.

Brightonian

Interesting approach from Tyrone - they're going for a full-on high press. It's stopping us from really threatening their goal so far, but not really helping them to win possession, and I doubt they'll be able to keep it up for long.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Tall, black, plays in midfield. "Reminds me of Vieira"

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
To be fair Yaya Toure - the other commentator's suggestion - sounds similar but doesn't look like a bad shout to me.
I really haven't watched him enough to judge whether it's a fair comparison or not, but it just seems like the go-to comparison for commentators :)