Academy/U18s Milk Cup Schedule Announced

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Bit lucky in the end but fully deserved overall. Looks a really exciting group to watch and it will be interesting to see them develop in the future.

jb8521

This could be a really exciting team to watch this season especially when you add in the likes of Ioannou, Evans, Goss, Harrop, Wilson, Fletcher and Redmond

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I'm so gutted I missed this one, talking of Goss where's he been?

Brightonian

Wonders if Brightonian knows what Joemo was talking about
Obviously. I'm just saying that he doesn't need to bring up evidence or anything, I already said that it was a pen. I was just mentioning the wording of the rules as a point of interest.

lysglimt

Scout
After watching quite a bit of this tournament - I will share my thoughts on the youngsters

Joel Pereira - I like him as a goalkeeper - he is unusually commanding for someone so young and he looks quite spectacular. A bit lucky in the final when he made a bad error in judgement but that will come with experience.

Jordan Thompson - one of the players who impressed me the most. Quick, attacking and combined really well with Mitchell.

Axel Tuanzabe - 15 years old and was superb every time I saw him. I really liked the way he always tried to play his way out of trouble - and usually succeeded.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson - has every quality needed to be a really good defender - but I was actually even more impressed with Tuanzabe when you consider the age (B-J is 1.5 years older)

Tyler Reid - the commentators compared him to Micah Richards and that isn't entirely inaccurate. Big, Strong, good on the ball - Bright future ahead.

Matt Willock - ok - if anyone can give me a sane reason why Arsenal released this guy - I will be surprised. Superb on the ball - Lovely range of passing and very rarely lost the ball.

Andreas Pereira - too good for this level - almost to the point where he in the final didn't play that well (by his standards) by taking too much responsibility and overdoing things. But throughout he was brilliant - and his composure on the ball is breathtaking.

Demetri Mitchell - what a pace on this guy - I thought he didn't play as well as I expected of him, but at times he showed what he can do.

Joe Riley - he strikes the ball really sweetly and has nice skills. At times he looked much more threatening when he moved centrally and looks more capable playing as an attacking midfielder.

Ruairi Croskary - perhaps the player who impressed me the least - but he also had a difficult time as most times parked the buss leaving very few gaps for Croskary to explore. So I don't think we saw Everything he could do.

Oliver McBurnie - it's easy to shout "sign him up" after this tournament. I am not convinced - he is big, strong and good in the box but does he have the necessary skills on the ball to be a United-player ? Not sure actually - he misplaced too many passes and I am not sure he is the kind of striker United needs the most. So I would actually be surprised if we sign him.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
:eek: These guys must be fecking world beaters for lyglimt to be so positive about them...! :)

Thanks for the review, mate. Interesting reading. Where did you watch the games? I thought only the final was being broadcast?

Heffo

Not sure of the squad that will be coming over but we have a young lad called Angel Gomes who might be in the squad although he might be a bit young. His father Gil was a Portuguese under 21 international and his brother Rico used to be on our books heres a video of him

I remember seeing him in the video below a few years ago as a little kid. Nice to see he's still at United. I think Gil Gomes was a coach at the time; any idea if that's still the case?

lysglimt

Scout
:eek: These guys must be fecking world beaters for lyglimt to be so positive about them...! :)

Thanks for the review, mate. Interesting reading. Where did you watch the games? I thought only the final was being broadcast?
I am usually very positive about our players - but they deserved every bad Word I said about them when they lost that FA Youth Cup game... BOTTLERS :)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
After watching quite a bit of this tournament - I will share my thoughts on the youngsters

Joel Pereira - I like him as a goalkeeper - he is unusually commanding for someone so young and he looks quite spectacular. A bit lucky in the final when he made a bad error in judgement but that will come with experience.

Jordan Thompson - one of the players who impressed me the most. Quick, attacking and combined really well with Mitchell.

Axel Tuanzabe - 15 years old and was superb every time I saw him. I really liked the way he always tried to play his way out of trouble - and usually succeeded.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson - has every quality needed to be a really good defender - but I was actually even more impressed with Tuanzabe when you consider the age (B-J is 1.5 years older)

Tyler Reid - the commentators compared him to Micah Richards and that isn't entirely inaccurate. Big, Strong, good on the ball - Bright future ahead.

Matt Willock - ok - if anyone can give me a sane reason why Arsenal released this guy - I will be surprised. Superb on the ball - Lovely range of passing and very rarely lost the ball.

Andreas Pereira - too good for this level - almost to the point where he in the final didn't play that well (by his standards) by taking too much responsibility and overdoing things. But throughout he was brilliant - and his composure on the ball is breathtaking.

Demetri Mitchell - what a pace on this guy - I thought he didn't play as well as I expected of him, but at times he showed what he can do.

Joe Riley - he strikes the ball really sweetly and has nice skills. At times he looked much more threatening when he moved centrally and looks more capable playing as an attacking midfielder.

Ruairi Croskary - perhaps the player who impressed me the least - but he also had a difficult time as most times parked the buss leaving very few gaps for Croskary to explore. So I don't think we saw Everything he could do.

Oliver McBurnie - it's easy to shout "sign him up" after this tournament. I am not convinced - he is big, strong and good in the box but does he have the necessary skills on the ball to be a United-player ? Not sure actually - he misplaced too many passes and I am not sure he is the kind of striker United needs the most. So I would actually be surprised if we sign him.
Loved the write up, thanks! Don't know how I missed the final!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Milk Cup Final, 2 August
CO TYRONE 0

MANCHESTER UNITED 1
(McBurnie 70)

02/08/2013 20:52, Report by M Shaw & A Marshall
Page 1 of 3 Next
Late goal wins Milk Cup

Manchester United won the Milk Cup for the fifth time and the first since 2009 thanks to a dramatic late winner by Oliver McBurnie.

The blond striker finally ended Co Tyrone's brave resistance as a penalty shoot-out loomed after keeper Patrick Molloy's heroics threatened to keep the Reds at bay.

This was the first time that a County team had reached the final of the competition and a record crowd of 3,602 were clearly backing the home favourites in extremely blustery conditions at the Ballymena Showgrounds.

Demetri Mitchell registered a shot on target after only six seconds but, in truth, the Reds looked a little sluggish at the end of a taxing schedule of five games in as many days. Despite dominating possession, there were few threats on the Northern Irish side's goal - even if Paul McGuinness' youngsters were in total control throughout the first half.

McBurnie, who is with the club on work experience from Bradford City, went close to adding to his goal tally for the tournament but Molloy touched his effort wide following some neat skill by captain Andreas Pereira.
Mitchell rifled a powerful drive straight at Molloy but the Reds struggled to get the other wide man, Joe Riley, into the game and stalemate ensued until the interval. Riley was more involved in the early exchanges of the second half as he headed off target from Mitchell's left-footed centre.

With Mitchell and Pereira, who flashed in a wayward shot, striving to make something happen, United continued to probe. Mitchell streaked out of defence on the break on 51 minutes only to be up-ended by a crude challenge by Shay Duffy, who was rightly booked.

Moments later, skipper Pereira thought he had opened the scoring but his low drive hit the outside of a post from the edge of the area. Superb skills from Pereira then teed up McBurnie but his attempt was blocked at the near post. McBurnie's next shot on goal was a better one as his well-executed volley brought out the best in Molloy with the keeper also making a top save to thwart Mitchell.

Joel Castro Pereira had to rush from his goal to clear but had been largely inactive for the game. The keeper's opposite number Molloy then made an unbelievable stop to parry over Cameron Borthwick-Jackson's close range shot, only for the following corner to leave the plucky Irishmen on their knees.
Andreas Pereira swung the ball across and McBurnie rose highest to power a header against the bar and seemingly over the line with Ruairi Croskery forcing the rebound home in any case.

Mark McGaray was then booked for simulation in time added on after a collision in the box with Joel Castro Pereira with the home fans aggrieved not to win a penalty.

Andreas Pereira was voted player of the tournament after displaying his vast array of skills throughout and the club was also awarded the prize for the most sporting team in the competition, which will no doubt please coach McGuiness.

"It was great for them to get the victory and they're following in some good footsteps," McGuinness told BBC Northern Ireland afterwards.

"We played all amateur teams, rather than professional sides, so you have to be realistic as it's hard to gauge how good they are but they've had a great time and mixed really well. Tyrone made it difficult and their goalkeeper was outstanding - he made three or four fantastic saves.

"In terms of Oliver McBurnie - I think what we will do is pay tribute to Bradford who loaned him to us. He enjoyed his week and will go back there a better player so it's great for everybody."

United: J.Pereira; Reid, Tuanzebe, Borthwick-Jackson, Thompson; Riley (Rashford 46), Willock, A.Pereira, Mitchell; Croskery, McBurnie.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...-manchester-united-match-report.aspx?pageNo=1

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Ollie McBurnie has been in sensational form for Bradford youth team. 11 goals in 5 matches including 3 hattricks. He has signed a pro-deal but looks he'll be on our radar.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Ollie McBurnie has been in sensational form for Bradford youth team. 11 goals in 5 matches including 3 hattricks. He has signed a pro-deal but looks he'll be on our radar.
Not sure about that. He looked like a big fecker, who got himself in good positions, but he didn't look up to the same standard technically as the other players in the team, and we have a big lad up front in Ashley Fletcher who is able to play a bit. It was a good experience for him with the United lads, but I can't see us taking him on longer term.

lysglimt

Scout
Not sure about that. He looked like a big fecker, who got himself in good positions, but he didn't look up to the same standard technically as the other players in the team, and we have a big lad up front in Ashley Fletcher who is able to play a bit. It was a good experience for him with the United lads, but I can't see us taking him on longer term.

My thoughts exactly - he was at least one level behind the United-players with the ball at his legs - and let's be honest here, we aren't exactly known for using big players at lower levels