Academy V Newcastle FA Youth Cup

cj_sparky

Charlton and Folkes in the crowd. That sums up just what the club means!!!

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Close again. Cole this time.

Who needs to watch the match when you have my commentary?

Mick1991

Liverpool next, now that will be tasty.

Good result but a great performance some of the pass and move was delightful.

Doogie

That was very entertaining. Haven't seen much of the youngsters this season but they impressed my a lot tonight.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Some terrific prospects out there, need to give them time and they'll flourish. So feck off Sky. :D

jb8521

It's odd isn't it. Obviously he's adjusting to the style of football and the new country etc., but when I heard we'd signed the best prospect in the Ajax Youth Academy, I thought he was gonna be out of this world. Still waiting for him to set my balls on fire
Yeah it's a bit strange obviously he's still adjusting but he hasn't really shown any particular moments of magic yet and doesn't seem very pacey for a winger maybe he's just trying to keep it simple but I'd like to see him try to do a bit more

cj_sparky

I find it increasingly hard to not get excited about a midfield trio consisting of Pogba, Tunnicliffe and Morrison.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah the game showed we lacked a striker in fairness.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
FAYC: United 1 Newcastle 0

16/02/2011 21:03

Paul McGuinness’s side booked a place in the FA Youth Cup quarter finals with a comfortable, almost entirely one-sided 1-0 win over Newcastle at Moss Lane.

There was a moment of magic from Ravel Morrison to seal the game’s only goal just after the hour mark, but United could and should have scored more after a fine team display throughout.

The Reds were again missing first-choice forwards Will Keane (out with a dead leg) and John Cofie (having undergone a knee operation on Monday), and so McGuinness once more had to improvise up front. Winger Gyliano van Velzen played as the lead attacker, with Morrison roaming behind him. Although enforced, the makeshift attack appeared to work in the Reds’ favour with fluid, interchanging play in the final third orchestrated in particular by Morrison.

It was all one-way traffic. Jesse Lingard had United’s first chance after 10 minutes. Larnell Cole’s neat play and pass picked out his team-mate, who fired over from eight yards. Then on the 20-minute mark, the excellent Morrison turned two defenders inside-out and struck a post from 18 yards.

Moments later Morrison teed up Tunnicliffe on the edge of the area and the Reds midfielder struck a fierce shot straight at the keeper. However, although United’s approach play was pleasing to the eye, the Reds missed the killer instinct that Keane and Cofie would have provided.

United started the second half on the attack again and Morrison poked a shot just wide just after the restart. But Newcastle gradually came back into the game and looked galvanised by the fact they were still in the contest.

The match momentarily became a midfield battle, however, as Newcastle added bite to their previously passive performance, and that acted as a wake-up call for the young Reds. But there was no surprise that Morrison was the player to finally find the breakthrough for United. On 64 minutes his clever footwork created space for a shot inside the box, and Morrison blasted his effort spectacularly in off the underside of the crossbar.

The tireless Tunnicliffe and busy Cole both had opportunities to add to a scoreline that really should have shown a healthier winning margin, but there were to be no further goals despite a late United onslaught.

The Reds now face a trip to Liverpool (date to be confirmed) in the quarter-finals, and on this performance – perhaps with some added firepower up front when Keane returns – United will be full of confidence for the tie, and it will be needed as the Anfield Reds defeated Southend 9-0 in their fifth round tie.

United: Johnstone; M Keane, Thorpe, Fornasier, Blackett; Cole, Tunnicliffe, Pogba, Lingard; Morrison, van Velzen.
Subs not used: Jacob, Massacci, Lawrence, McGinty, Barmby.

Manchester United Official Web Site - FAYC: United 1 Newcastle 0
Match report.

MPTutd

Anyone see the sort of strange discussion/chat/altercation between Pogba and Morrison at the end. Seemed like Rav had some problem with Pogba. Probably nothing, but did anyone else pick up on it?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Just saw Morrisons goal - very tasty indeed. He needs to push on now tho, he's 18 & you'd like to be seeing potential like him pushing for first team outings next season.

Problem we have tho, is unlike many teams in the League, our squad is brimming with quality, whereas, other teams have to throw young players into the melting pot because of lack of resources!

I'd love to see some of this great young talent we have, save us fortunes in the near future. Problem is, we've seen so many great young lads with great potential leave the club in recent years, when it looked odds on they'd make it, so there's a bittuva question mark how they will fare playin in the first team, when the pressure is extraordinary!

Pogba for me, is the only one who is guaranteed to be a first teamer. He's a class apart at his age level. He could play first-team football no problem. He has that self-confidence & nothin fazes him. Cleverely has a fantastic chance also, and his season at Wigan will pay dividends for us next season. He's gotta a wicked football brain - same kind of touch & awareness that Rooney has in tight situations too!

I like Will Keane also, he's gotta great chance also!!

datura

Anyone see the sort of strange discussion/chat/altercation between Pogba and Morrison at the end. Seemed like Rav had some problem with Pogba. Probably nothing, but did anyone else pick up on it?
It looked to me that Morrison was celebrating the win and Pogba looked a bit downbeat.

Pogba seems to sulk a bit on the pitch when things don't go his way and maybe he was a bit disappointed with his personal performance, who knows? Not really worth speculating about.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
They're two different players mate. Pogba is better creatively though Tunnicliffe has drive/determination and is not as flashy, but is capable of quality. They compliment each other well. Both are capable of getting goals. Pogbas scored some great goals at academy/reserve level.

It's scarey isn't it? No mention of james, cleverly, petrucci, brady, ajose, keane, king, cofie, morrison etc. They play some great stuff and 35 efforts on goals is fantastic at any level. Even if newcastle were poor, when you are that good it's very hard sometimes. Pity we could only score one but we've seen that alot down the years