ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

BooloBiibshe

I will seriously see it as the final straw for the sport for me. With the corruption/cheating scandals involving Juve/Barca/City and the way fifa was run, I already feel disenfranchised from the sport that has given so much enjoyment. Throw VAR into the mix, and some of the other forthcoming changes where gate receipts are prioritized over player well-being, and the last thing I needed was my own club, full of history and prestige, to be sold to a country with the issues that they have.

to me, it’s the same mentality as someone who won’t do their recycling correctly because they know so Many others aren’t. Tens of millions of people will now use the same excuse of “well, we can’t stop it so may aswell enjoy it as much as possible”. The reality is if more people stood up to it, it wouldn’t happen. Don’t forget the power fans have, they literally stopped a super league from happening. Countries like Qatar need to be held to account, and not allowed to continue on their path because they have unlimited money. If enough people wanted to effect change in that nation, I have no doubt that they could. $ talks, but most certainly not on my behalf so yes, as sad as it will be and as stubborn as I might be being, I’ll have nothing to do with the team should they be owned by Qatar.
Manchester United are currently owned by a family from the most corrupted country in the world. A country that created all terrorist groups in the world ( biggest one being Alqaida). But you don’t see it like that because the media doesn’t show you their shenanigans or you don’t just wanna see it and blame counties like Qatar. America destroyed millions of people’s lives, they killed kids man, women, people in wedding ceremonies. Let’s talk about what they did to Iraq and Afghanistan. The difference between USA and all those wealth Muslim countries combined is like A to Z in terms of human rights. You only want the glazers out just because the way the run the club and you will hate the Qataris for being Qadari no matter how successful they will make the team. Some of you don’t even feel shame when you talk about human rights like there is no Muslim members in this Forum.

tomaldinho1

Actually all the official info says this is a private bid, obviously it's well possible that this is not the case

But the onus is surely on those who claim the official line is not true to provide the proof or logic to why this is a state bid
No it doesn’t…there is no ‘official’ info because no one has access to it. There is a lot of speculation of which the vast majority references the link to Qatar and the issues around PSG being officially state owned (City and Newcastle are not officially state owned for reference) and dual ownership. Something, ironically, the other bidder in this poll has a potential issue with as well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Around a month apart.
Dear Wummy man, why are you surprised at people's fickleness on this matter?

Has it not occurred to you that for the vast majority of United fans who look down on City, it's not because of Qatar being evil (which they are), but because they feel City has been given an "unfair", "unearned" (bullshit tags in light of the accepted inequality in football but I digress) advantage that has made them competitive in football today?

And that any influx of cash into United (who "deserve" to be on top due to the size of the fanbase and how many trophies was won in the 90s), no matter the source, is not "unfair", but justified in their eyes because it will place United back on top where it "deserves" to be?

And that prior denunciations of Qatar (well deserved of course, evil regime) were not done out of the goodness of their hearts (because you never heard of these denunciations against Bayern/Arsenal, clubs sponsored by the very evil we speak of), but as a convenient shield hiding the true source of their discontent, annoyance at a rival club being able to skip the "fair queue"?

Couple that with how horrible the Glazers have been... fans desperate for their club to get back to the top will turn a blind eye to Qatar's wrongdoings they criticized before, because fans is hypocrites.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Dear Wummy man, why are you surprised at people's fickleness on this matter?

Has it not occurred to you that for the vast majority of United fans who look down on City, it's not because of Qatar being evil (which they are), but because they feel City has been given an "unfair", "unearned" (bullshit tags in light of the accepted inequality in football but I digress) advantage that has made them competitive in football today?

And that any influx of cash into United (who "deserve" to be on top due to the size of the fanbase and how many trophies was won in the 90s), no matter the source, is not "unfair", but justified in their eyes because it will place United back on top where it "deserves" to be?

And that prior denunciations of Qatar (well deserved of course, evil regime) were not done out of the goodness of their hearts (because you never heard of these denunciations against Bayern/Arsenal, clubs sponsored by the very evil we speak of), but as a convenient shield hiding the true source of their discontent, annoyance at a rival club being able to skip the "fair queue"?

Couple that with how horrible the Glazers have been... fans desperate for their club to get back to the top will turn a blind eye to Qatar's wrongdoings they criticized before, because fans is hypocrites.
No, it literally didn’t occur to me that a lot of people weren’t being honest when they posted about human rights. I foolishly believed that some people were not ultimately selfish.

red thru&thru

I just can't make my mind up. One minute it excites me, the next it doesn't sit right. I am allowed to change my mind in this free world of ours surely?
Haha, you're allowed. I wouldn't worry about what the Internet thinks of you. It's not reality. You don't need to justify yourself.

JagUTD

Haha, you're allowed. I wouldn't worry about what the Internet thinks of you. It's not reality. You don't need to justify yourself.
All of the arguments put forward for Jassim come from questionable internet sources. It's not reality :wenger:

Member 101269

All of the arguments put forward for Jassim come from questionable internet sources. It's not reality :wenger:
Some of the myth busting came from annual reports. Come on you can do better than write "all arguments"

I just can't make my mind up. One minute it excites me, the next it doesn't sit right. I am allowed to change my mind in this free world of ours surely?
Yep, it's just a few that try to shame people. There was me thinking humanity was a species that isn't static in thought. Perhaps i'm wrong.

JagUTD

Some of the myth busting came from annual reports. Come on you can do better than write "all arguments"

Yep, it's just a few that try to shame people. There was me thinking humanity was a species that isn't static in thought. Perhaps i'm wrong.
What mythbusting?

red thru&thru

No doubt some for SJR is made up but I'm pretty sure his financials and the fact it is actually him behind the bid are very much based in reality.

Not so much with Jassim.
Interesting.

Which parts do you not believe? Just that the bid isn't from him? Anything else?

redcucumber

I like the "I'm only human, I'm allowed to change my mind!!" line of reasoning. It's not wrong obviously, but it's hilariously childish. Just say you're happy being a hypocrite because it suits and move on.

cyberman

I like the "I'm only human, I'm allowed to change my mind!!" line of reasoning. It's not wrong obviously, but it's hilariously childish. Just say you're happy being a hypocrite because it suits and move on.
Why aren’t fans allowed to be conflicted? Isn’t it better than crying about something you have no control over while supporting them anyway?
There’s a hypocrite reckoning coming soon and it’s not going to fall on the fans who are already learning to accept it, it’ll fall on mouthy and grandstanding posts like yours.

enghuei

Cheats at Tetris
Is it as hypocritical as the thread starter who benefits directly from Abu Dhabi yet bashes Qatar non-stop on the internet?

Oranges038

I think most people have a sort of emotional attachment to the club.

At first, they saw this Qatari as a no, because it just felt wrong.

Now, that it seems imminent, there's just a growing acceptance that it's the only way forward.

Rather than break that emotional connection they feel to the club, they'd rather just accept that it is what it is and are preparing themselves to mentally it up the ass from from here on in from other fans who will label them hypocrites and sell outs.

JagUTD

Interesting.

Which parts do you not believe? Just that the bid isn't from him? Anything else?
The bid not being from him undermines the whole thing. It's based on lies. We've all seen that City have spent 14 years lying. We've been lied to as United fans by the Glazers for nearly 20 years.

Isn't it about time we had some honesty?

There are plenty of other issues, and of course plenty of question about all the bids, but the biggest red flag of all is the fact one of the main bids is a complete lie.

red thru&thru

The bid not being from him undermines the whole thing. It's based on lies. We've all seen that City have spent 14 years lying. We've been lied to as United fans by the Glazers for nearly 20 years.

There are plenty of other issues, and of course plenty of question about all the bids, but the biggest red flag of all is the fact one of the main bids is a complete lie.
I'm still not understanding how it's a complete lie? You base this on Man City?

Member 101269

I'm still not understanding how it's a complete lie? You base this on Man City?
@red thru&thru

Yep, there seems a small section of the fanbase that have some inner working knowledge of the bids that contrast with official lines that Jassim's bid is a private bid or extrapolate from one occurrence to another. #thatmanisbad therefore #allmenarebad

stevoc

Manchester United are currently owned by a family from the most corrupted country in the world. A country that created all terrorist groups in the world ( biggest one being Alqaida). But you don’t see it like that because the media doesn’t show you their shenanigans or you don’t just wanna see it and blame counties like Qatar. America destroyed millions of people’s lives, they killed kids man, women, people in wedding ceremonies. Let’s talk about what they did to Iraq and Afghanistan. The difference between USA and all those wealth Muslim countries combined is like A to Z in terms of human rights. You only want the glazers out just because the way the run the club and you will hate the Qataris for being Qadari no matter how successful they will make the team. Some of you don’t even feel shame when you talk about human rights like there is no Muslim members in this Forum.
You should have realized and stopped writing there mate.

red thru&thru

@red thru&thru

Yep, there seems a small section of the fanbase that have some inner working knowledge of the bids that contrast with official lines that Jassim's bid is a private bid or extrapolate from one occurrence to another. #thatmanisbad therefore #allmenarebad
I must admit, this is what I'm also thinking. Tying everyone with the same brush.

The Raine group would have done their background checks on all parties. They would have had to prove where the money is coming from, to even make it this far.

Now, it may be a group of people who all come together and provide the funds under the 9 2 Foundation, however, it doesn't mean it's a complete lie.

Dan_F

@red thru&thru

That line of argument works both ways, with most fans of the Qatari bid making assumptions about the debt and Ineos.

Do you think it’s Jassim’s personal money that he’s bidding with?

Dan_F

I must admit, this is what I'm also thinking. Tying everyone with the same brush.

The Raine group would have done their background checks on all parties. They would have had to prove where the money is coming from, to even make it this far.

Now, it may be a group of people who all come together and provide the funds under the 9 2 Foundation, however, it doesn't mean it's a complete lie.
Why would they care if the money came from the state or from personal wealth :lol:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
No it doesn’t…there is no ‘official’ info because no one has access to it. There is a lot of speculation of which the vast majority references the link to Qatar and the issues around PSG being officially state owned (City and Newcastle are not officially state owned for reference) and dual ownership. Something, ironically, the other bidder in this poll has a potential issue with as well.
Of course there is official info - the reputable sources of BBC, FT etc cite this as a private bid.
https://www.ft.com/content/c92a7489-42f0-45a6-bd86-10e342d7dd43

Now obviously that doesn't make it true but that is the official line so it's daft to tell someone to prove it.

As you say, all the rest that is speculation and opinions from journalists who are primarily sports based and know absolutely feck all about business and finance.

stevoc

@red thru&thru

The official lines say it's a private bid?

Well case closed then I suppose. Because as we know the official line is always 100% the truth.

redcucumber

Why aren’t fans allowed to be conflicted? Isn’t it better than crying about something you have no control over while supporting them anyway?
There’s a hypocrite reckoning coming soon and it’s not going to fall on the fans who are already learning to accept it, it’ll fall on mouthy and grandstanding posts like yours.
I think most people have a sort of emotional attachment to the club.

At first, they saw this Qatari as a no, because it just felt wrong.

Now, that it seems imminent, there's just a growing acceptance that it's the only way forward.

Rather than break that emotional connection they feel to the club, they'd rather just accept that it is what it is and are preparing themselves to mentally it up the ass from from here on in from other fans who will label them hypocrites and sell outs.
It's not being conflicted. People that routinely condemned City/PSG etc are now saying 'can't see the problem' and are lapping up the prospect of us becoming the very same thing they previously castigated. Conflicted would be 'ah this is still an awful thing for the sport but there's literally nothing I can do to stop it'.

redcucumber

Is it as hypocritical as the thread starter who benefits directly from Abu Dhabi yet bashes Qatar non-stop on the internet?
How on earth would I know anything about the thread starter directed benefitting from Abu Dhabi? How do you know anything about that? Seems oddly personal and irrelevant.

Rooney24

We United fans have always had an uneasy relationship with the ownership of the club as far back as I remember.

Edwards ownership - fans weren’t happy

PLC - fans weren’t happy.

Glazers - doesn’t even need to be said.

It will always be that way IMO. Whatever the next chapter is there will still be complaints.

redcucumber

We United fans have always had an uneasy relationship with the ownership of the club as far back as I remember.

Edwards ownership - fans weren’t happy

PLC - fans weren’t happy.

Glazers - doesn’t even need to be said.

It will always be that way IMO. Whatever the next chapter is there will still be complaints.
There's a big difference between being owned by capitalist business types and a nation state.

stevoc

Well, if it is state backed, it won't pass the fit and proper test from the PL? Of course, you can correct me on this.
Ah yes that very rigorous test that weeds out vulture capitalists looking to bleed clubs dry with leveraged buy-outs, Russian Gangsters with ties to despots, skint Sheikhs who lie about their wealth and steal money to buy a football club, former politicians who fled their country to avoid arrest and of course that time it flagged Saudi Arabia trying to buy Newcastle.

The fit and proper persons test is literally worthless.

Oranges038

The official lines say it's a private bid?

Well case closed then I suppose. Because as we know the official line is always 100% the truth.
As far as I've read.

Officially his father was PM (07-13) and head of QIA, that bought PSG in 2011.

Officially just over a month ago, the Nine Two Foundation didn't even exist or have any presence.

Officially Sheik Jassim doesn't have enough money of his own to fund the bid, so is relying on private investors to put up the funds.

red thru&thru

Ah yes that very rigorous test that weeds out vulture capitalists looking to bleed clubs dry with leveraged buy-outs, Russian Gangsters with ties to despots, skint Sheikhs who lie about their wealth and steal money to buy a football club, former politicians who fled their country to avoid arrest and of course that time it flagged Saudi Arabia trying to buy Newcastle.

The fit and proper persons test is literally worthless.
So, will the PL let a person takeover a club with state backed funds?

I'm asking the question because the poster I replied to, said the PL won't care whether it is coming from state.

Member 101269

That line of argument works both ways, with most fans of the Qatari Jassim/ Nine Two Foundation bid making assumptions about the debt and Jim/Ineos.

Do you think it’s Jassim’s personal money that he’s bidding with?
no idea; I corrected your mistakes

As far as I've read.

Officially his father was PM (07-13) and head of QIA, that bought PSG in 2011.

Officially just over a month ago, the Nine Two Foundation didn't even exist or have any presence.

Officially Sheik Jassim doesn't have enough money of his own to fund the bid, so is relying on private investors to put up the funds.
What official?

I don't get the relevance of his father being ex PM / head of QIA.

stevoc

So, will the PL let a person takeover a club with state backed funds?

I'm asking the question because the poster I replied to, said the PL won't care whether it is coming from state.
Yes they don't give a feck.

Newcastle and Man City while laughably presented as privately owned. Are both state backed.

JagUTD

@red thru&thru

A tiny fraction still think Jassim is behind the bid himself, most however at least accept he's just a front.

red thru&thru

Yes they don't give a feck.

Newcastle and Man City while laughably presented as privately owned. Are both state backed.
So, you can't be state backed.

However, yes, you're probably correct and it'll ultimately be state funded.