ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

Dan_F

I see this just as a transaction, and I don’t care about the morals involved. Qatar will continue with its laws no matter what us as United fans do, and not matter if they win the bid or not.

I’m just interested in an owner with the full capability to erase the debt, refurbish thetraining ground, build a new state of the art stadium and gives us a war chest for transfers that is the biggest in the world. Only Qatar can give us those things. Neither Sir Jim nor the Glazers backed by Elliot can.
So this is the quality of poster than is getting through the newbie system? I look forward to more discussions with people who use terms like leftie tears.

Basically come in the thread, say you have no morals and agree with @Rood for a promotion.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’m think you meant leftie tears instead of years. I just dislike the left wing as I dislike other things such as FC Barcelona (which I’m very vocal about), more so now considering a left wing president is ruining my country.

Bur to answer you:

I have never condemned the pro Sir Jim posters or even the ones who support the dreadful Elliot (who will be essentially allowing the Glazers to stay). I don’t come here pretending to be Superman or Jesus trying to look as the moral superior “holier than thou” as you do, belittling us who are pro Qatar as if our opinions didn’t matter and we were basically war criminals. All fans opinions are valid unless they belittle other fans opinion, and that is regardless of gender, nationality, or religion. For me the opinion of a Somalian Muslim fan weights the same as the opinion of a Mancunian born fan.
fecking hell.Trying to take the moral high ground after you come in here loving the lefty tears and supporting a misogynistic and homophobic regime because they help your club buy new players.

No one is buying it mate. You don’t need to be “mother Teresa” to oppose supporting Qatar. Your post is all over the shop without any consistency.

Shock - I think fans should support their local team. Nothing to do with this thread at all.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
So this is the quality of poster than is getting through the newbie system? I look forward to more discussions with people who use terms like leftie tears.

Basically come in the thread, say you have no morals and agree with @Rood for a promotion.
You’ve missed “I have no morals but people who disagree are bigoted”

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Totally agree with you. Most people are hypocrites who like to pretend they are the moral superiors. If you care so much for human rights, the leave your job, and go join a charitable organization that works on them.

Come on Qatar, please buy us and purge us of those moralist liberal crybabies.
: I don’t come here pretending to be Superman or Jesus trying to look as the moral superior “holier than thou” as you do, belittling us who are pro Qatar as if our opinions didn’t matter and we were basically war criminals. All fans opinions are valid.

Do you realise… we can still see your posts from a few days ago?

stevoc

I’m think you meant leftie tears instead of years. I just dislike the left wing as I dislike other things such as FC Barcelona (which I’m very vocal about), more so now considering a left wing president is ruining my country.

Bur to answer you:

I have never condemned the pro Sir Jim posters or even the ones who support the dreadful Elliot (who will be essentially allowing the Glazers to stay). I don’t come here pretending to be Superman or Jesus trying to look as the moral superior “holier than thou” as you do, belittling us who are pro Qatar as if our opinions didn’t matter and we were basically war criminals. All fans opinions are valid unless they belittle other fans opinion, and that is regardless of gender, nationality, or religion. For me the opinion of a Somalian Muslim fan weights the same as the opinion of a Mancunian born fan.
Have you considered that people aren't actually pretending and it's not some act?

That they really do have some morals and care about things beyond who can pump the most money into a football team?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

What are you on about? he's still a newbie and not close to promotion

I certainly I don't agree with comments about 'leftie tears' etc and he deserves some backlash for that, but some valid points are certainly being made - I suggest you address the posts rather than the poster if you disagree with it

As far as I am concerned there is little connection between Sheikh Jassim's bid to buy Manchester United and the human rights situation in Qatar so the moral hand-wringing in this thread is pretty irrelevant - and the poll shows the majority of our fans agree

Member 125398

As far as I am concerned there is little connection between Sheikh Jassim's bid to buy Manchester United and the human rights situation in Qatar so the moral hand-wringing in this thread is pretty irrelevant - and the poll shows the majority of our fans agree
Less than 25% have no reservations.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Less than 25% have no reservations.
Correct and that doesnt include me either since there are many issues we could have reservations about - I have reservations about financial doping and some other issues, but nothing on a moral level since I dont see the connection

stevoc

What are you on about? he's still a newbie and not close to promotion

I certainly I don't agree with comments about 'leftie tears' etc and he deserves some backlash for that, but some valid points are certainly being made - I suggest you address the posts rather than the poster if you disagree with it

If you want to believe there's no connection fair enough mate that's your right but you can't then dismiss the concerns of others as irrelevant based on your own belief.

68cob

Total voters 1,885
Seems like United's fanbase has shrunk quite a bit.

Member 125398

Correct and that doesnt include me either - I have reservations about financial doping and some other issues, but nothing on a moral level since I dont see the connection
Do you think the sporting boycotts of South Africa were irrelevant? Very similar situations, up to 90 percent of Qatar’s population is composed of noncitizens, including expatriates and migrant workers as well as some stateless residents, who have no political rights or electoral opportunities.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If you want to believe there's no connection fair enough mate that's your right but you can't then dismiss the concerns of others as irrelevant based on your own belief.
Well I mean it's irrelevant to me - obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Do you think the sporting boycotts of South Africa were irrelevant? Very similar situations, up to 90 percent of Qatar’s population is composed of noncitizens, including expatriates and migrant workers as well as some stateless residents, who have no political rights or electoral opportunities.
it's not similar in the slightest, and we will be going wildly off topic to even start exploring the many reasons why it's not similar or relevant to a discussion about someone buying a football club

Member 125398

it's not similar in the slightest, and we will be going wildly off topic to even start exploring the many reasons why it's not similar or relevant to a discussion about someone buying a football club
Not off topic at all, the moral issue is that members of the ruling class/elite from a country where opportunity is unequal based on race/ethnicity shouldn't be permitted to be involved in sport.

NLunited

That’s exactly what I think. As I said before, for me this is a transaction, not a moral debate. What I want it’s what is best economically speaking for the club.

Can you accept that not everyone thinks as you do?

About Greenwood, if ETH and his teammates are ok with him returning, then I am. He already have started a life with his partner and are actually aspecting a child together.
I agree that Greenwood situation is up for the club to decide.

What is best for the club is not money, but competent management. Let Chelsea be a warning, and PSG of course.

I accept fully that not everyone thinks.

red thru&thru

Is it not already multi-purpose?

The rugby league grand final is there every year, there's been concerts, boxing etc. There's conferences/functions too. Every stadium is already multi-purpose I'd have thought.
The rugby, yes, but when was the last time there was a concert, boxing, etc, held there?

The stadium is so bad, we couldn't even be selected for an international tournament in 2028.

Fridge chutney

It is shocking to me that this poster managed to get a like over the past few pages after the absolute bilge posted.

stevoc

Well I mean it's irrelevant to me - obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion
Indeed.

But the concerns raised are very relevant to others who aren't prepared to compartmentalise.

Member 125398

So, why did it not get chosen?
Club statement
"Manchester United were pleased to put Old Trafford forward as a potential host of UEFA Euro 2028 matches and proud of the strong case we made," a statement read.
“However, during follow-up discussions with the FA, it became clear that we were unable to provide the necessary certainty around the availability of Old Trafford due to potential redevelopment of the stadium. As a result, we have mutually agreed to withdraw from the shortlist of potential hosts.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not off topic at all, the moral issue is that members of the ruling class/elite from a country where opportunity is unequal based on race/ethnicity shouldn't be permitted to be involved in sport.
That's basically every country in the world!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I just don’t understand what is bad about it at all?

If your main complaint is “we could hold concerts there” I’m genuinely baffled.
There really isn't any discussion needed about whether OT needs redevelopment. It's a simple fact that there has been a lack of investment in our infrastructure in recent times and that the Glazers cannot afford to do it. Richard Arnold himself has admitted this.

why do you think the club have spent a lot of money on consultants and feasibility plans for various options for refurbishment or redevelopment?

stevoc

So, why did it not get chosen?
If matches are proposed to be taking place at Villa Park, the Stadium of Light, Hampden Park and Casement Park in Belfast.

Then I think it's safe to assume OT in its current state would have been fine as a venue for 2028.

With the club potentially being bought there's little point in the current regime promising the use of OT for a major tournament in 5 years when the new owners could be redeveloping or rebuilding OT that year.

Member 125398

Sounds pretty left wing to me
Not to mention wanting state handouts to the poor (apparently United who exist in the parallel world where we're a financial behemoth who are self-sustaining when financial doping is being discussed and so financially crippled that that we can't survive without a sugar daddy for all other arguments).

Chipper

Adulterer.
The rugby, yes, but when was the last time there was a concert, boxing, etc, held there?
It's been a while to be fair, but I don't think it's because it's not capable of holding one. There were a series of concerts there in the summer 4 or 5 years back.

Old Trafford Cricket Stadium holds them every year and I don't see why that's a better venue as such for a concert other than maybe the field being bigger for people to stand on but I'm not sure on that.

Bert_

It's been a while to be fair, but I don't think it's because it's not capable of holding one. There were a series of concerts there in the summer 4 or 5 years back.

Old Trafford Cricket Stadium holds them every year and I don't see why that's a better venue as such.
Sq footage. Can get far more people in there. Even if Old Trafford is renovated/rebuilt, the cricket ground will always be more attractive for large outdoor events for that reason. Stick a retractable roof on the stadium though and it doubles up as an indoor arena.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Old Trafford Cricket Stadium holds them every year and I don't see why that's a better venue as such for a concert other than maybe the field being bigger for people to stand on but I'm not sure on that.
Could you even hold the boxing at OT? How would that work?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Could you even hold the boxing at OT? How would that work?
I don't see why not, plenty of outdoor stadiums have held boxing even in this country. Only really viable over the summer both for weather reasons and to give the pitch chance to recover if it got damaged.

Stick some flooring on top of the pitch, seating on that and put a ring up. Fans sit both on the pitch and in the stands Put a tent/pagoda type thing over the ring just in case of rain.

Might be best to just have it in one half of the ground so nobody is too far from the action.

It's been absolutely ages since they had boxing there, it was Nigel Benn v Chris Eubank, no reason why it couldn't happen again though. Frank Bruno fought at the old Wembley, and White Hart Lane, Ricky Hatton at the Etihad, and David Haye v Derek Chisora was at Upton park before it closed. Chisora also faced Danny Williams there.

There was talk of Tyson Fury possibly fighting at OT more recently.

Last edited: