ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
As it stand without new owners we will be shopping for the likes of Weghorst and Sabizter again.
You or I could own the club and shop for the best players in the world. We are the most profitable club on the planet. We don’t need to be owned by ghouls.

We don’t need money in. We need to be well run. That’s it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You or I could own the club and shop for the best players in the world. We are the most profitable club on the planet. We don’t need to be owned by ghouls.

Although that might be true for players, the money needed for stadium renovation/rebuild is a whole different question

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I wonder whether this will have any teeth.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...rs-test-cover-human-rights-abuses-2023-03-30/

The timing seems to coincide with the Qatar bid for United. I wish they had paid more attention when Chelsea, City and Newcastle were bought.

Human rights violators should not be allowed to own shiny football clubs in free countries.
This will have no impact on Sheikh Jassim's bid as he doesn't appear on the Global Human Rights Sanctions Regulations 2020 list. And for those who believe this to be a state bid, nor does anyone from the Qatari ruling family.

Note that City and Newcastle also voted for these new regulations as neither does anyone connected to their ownership appear on the list. The list of those affected is publicly available - there are actually some Saudi officials on the list for their connection to the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, AFAIK this is the closest link to any PL owner.

Abramovich meanwhile was forced to sell Chelsea due to his connection to Putin and govt economic sanctions

Last edited:

croadyman

I can't believe this moral superiority over other posters is still a thing here.

The results of the poll is clear. A very big majority are fine/will still support the club if Qatar take over.

The main concern now is how fast the Glazers can be gone and leave us enough time to plan for the summer with new owners. We don't want to waste another season. As it stand without new owners we will be shopping for the likes of Weghorst and Sabizter again.

Just to be clear, regardless of who will be the new owners, for me what's best for the club in term of "football" is most important. We need to invest in stadium, training centre, new signings and further improve on modern football structure with many latest technologies in scouting, data, nutrition, science, phycology and whatnot.
Yeah hopefully IF the sale goes through we are given enough time in order to have a proper summer transfer window

Yakuza_devils

We already long past this point. The club is heavily in debts and need major investment in the squad and infrastructure. Unless you or me have 10B to burn, otherwise we pray for the best owner for the club.

Wilt

Realising they’re probably in the minority here, it would interesting to hear the views from the genuine match-going supporters who more likely would be most affected by any future changes.

Dan_F

Realising they’re probably in the minority here, it would interesting to hear the views from the genuine match-going supporters who more likely would be most affected by any future changes.
I think it’s a very similar split to what you’d see in the poll. Normally I’d expect a bit of a difference in opinion between match going fans and not, but I don’t think there is with this issue. It’s very much a more personal choice and I would assume most would be happy to get rid of the Glazers at all costs.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I think it’s a very similar split to what you’d see in the poll. Normally I’d expect a bit of a difference in opinion between match going fans and not, but I don’t think there is with this issue. It’s very much a more personal choice and I would assume most would be happy to get rid of the Glazers at all costs.
The last bit is what I have an issue with. Yes, I want the Glazers Out. However, "at all costs" is a very worrying attitude.

The situation at Chelsea perhaps sums up why we need to be careful and welcoming the first person into the club with open arms.

red.knight

There is literally no evidence at the moment that the Qatari bid (or any bid for that matter) is the best one for the club. None. Zero.

Also, aside from the serious cheating, is quite funny. If 25% of those charges turn out to be true then any good work they've done has been utterly pointless.

What I think is the best for United's history is the one where fans are no longer taking for granted, where the club isn't used as a vehicle for sportwashing.
So, who are those type of owners willing to buy United? The bottom line is that the club need huge investment. Stadium falling apart, training ground in tatters.....squad still needs cash injection in the summer just to make CL next season.....

Our mantra has always been simple. To rid ourselves of the virus that has been killing our club and 18 years of decay... A FULL SALE ONLY is the acceptable outcome. Nothing less. It is not just the club that is broken. 18 years of Glazer ownership has broken our fanbase. This was by Glazer design and we intend to unite and heal it. The Glazers are not just betraying the club we love. To us they are betraying the memories of past generations who instilled United into us. Those we think about every time we watch United play. Lets not forget what we are dealing with here... A horrible family with questionable morals and ethics. A family who sued members of their own family for business assets in a family will. A family who only care about money and greed. A family people working at the club can’t stand. A family who betrayed the national game and tried taking us into a European Super League. A family despised by a global fanbase. That takes some doing.

As a United fan, I'll take a debt free owner prepared to rebuild infrastructure at all levels rather than one like the ones we're hopefully getting rid of.

redcucumber

I can't believe this moral superiority over other posters is still a thing here.

The results of the poll is clear. A very big majority are fine/will still support the club if Qatar take over.

The main concern now is how fast the Glazers can be gone and leave us enough time to plan for the summer with new owners. We don't want to waste another season. As it stand without new owners we will be shopping for the likes of Weghorst and Sabizter again.

Just to be clear, regardless of who will be the new owners, for me what's best for the club in term of "football" is most important. We need to invest in stadium, training centre, new signings and further improve on modern football structure with many latest technologies in scouting, data, nutrition, science, phycology and whatnot.
Incredible that we're in the latter rounds for another two trophies having already won one and you're worrying about needing mega money so as not to have "another wasted season". I'll be at OT for the Sevilla game and I'll be more than happy to watch the likes of Sabitzer and Weghorst contribute in some capacity.

Also, it's not about moral superiority. Some people have a different set of morals to you. Get over it.

Bestietom

Honestly think we need these money men. We need the stadium refrbished as well as training facilities. Glazers wont put money back into club so we will just sink further into debt. We need a complete takeover.

Yakuza_devils

Incredible that we're in the latter rounds for another two trophies having already won one and you're worrying about needing mega money so as not to have "another wasted season". I'll be at OT for the Sevilla game and I'll be more than happy to watch the likes of Sabitzer and Weghorst contribute in some capacity.

Also, it's not about moral superiority. Some people have a different set of morals to you. Get over it.
How about the club infrastructure and debts? The squad also need investment to compete with City. We are talking about billions here.

I respect your moral stand and there are tons of other who have different stand. No issues for me here. As I said, what's best for the club in term of football is most important.

colombianmancunian

Hard to believe we've gone from the days of IMUSA and Red Issue protesting against Rupert Murdoch buying the club to people wanting the Qatari state to buy the club just to annoy the Libs.
I want a Qatari takeover because economically it’s what’s best for the club. It will allow to clear the debt, improve the stadium and facilities, have a considerable war chest for transfers, allow sponsorship deals such as the ones PSG and City got with ME sponsors (I know sponsors are companies owned by the same owners, but if it brings money to improve the clb, I’m in). Also looking at PSG it’s way better run than Ineos owned nice. That being said, anything is better than the Glazers, I hope Jassim wins the bid, but Ineos is certainly better than current owners.

Annoying the liberal lefties is just an added bonus.

There’s a tendency of some posters taking a moral high ground when replying to us who are pro Qatar, as if they were morally superior and us were totally wrong. It’s annoying, it even reminds me of UEFAlona and they hypocrite “mes que un club” and “valors” BS.

Last edited:

redcucumber

I want a Qatari takeover because economically it’s what’s best for the club. It will allow to clear the debt, improve the stadium and facilities, have a considerable war chest for transfers, allow sponsorship deals such as the ones PSG and City got with ME sponsors (así know sponsor os are companies owned by the same owners). Also looking at PSG it’s way better run than Ineos owned nice. That being said, anything is better than the Glazers, I hope Jassim wins the bid, but Ineos is certainly better than current owners.

There’s a tendency of some posters taking a moral high ground when replying to us who are pro Qatar, as if they were morally superior and us were totally wrong. It’s annoying, it even reminds me of UEFAlona and they hypocrite “mes que un club” and “valors” BS.
Anyone that says things like "annoying liberal lefties" gets zero sympathy from me.

NLunited

I want a Qatari takeover because economically it’s what’s best for the club. It will allow to clear the debt, improve the stadium and facilities, have a considerable war chest for transfers, allow sponsorship deals such as the ones PSG and City got with ME sponsors (así know sponsor os are companies owned by the same owners). Also looking at PSG it’s way better run than Ineos owned nice. That being said, anything is better than the Glazers, I hope Jassim wins the bid, but Ineos is certainly better than current owners.

People like you can‘t stand being called out for your hypocrisy. I‘d like to see you make a statement about how you feel about anti LGTBQ+ laws in Qatar, repressive laws targeting women and human rights abuses.

BTW these are not liberal concerns but clearly in the center of the political spectrum. A great majority of people support these rights, which you thus hardly can call liberal.

Although Sheik Jassim is not ‚Qatar‘, it is hard to see him as someone who respects our values.

You just want to take the money and not worry about morals. I understand, and I am calling you out for it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
People like you can‘t stand being called out for your hypocrisy. I‘d like to see you make a statement about how you feel about anti LGTBQ+ laws in Qatar, repressive laws targeting women and human rights abuses.

BTW these are not liberal concerns but clearly in the center of the political spectrum. A great majority of people support these rights, which you thus hardly can call liberal.

Although Sheik Jassim is not ‚Qatar‘, it is hard to see him as someone who respects our values.

You just want to take the money and not worry about morals. I understand, and I am calling you out for it.
The longer this goes on, the more I’ve realised the most impactful posts to show the dangers of the Qatari ownership are from the Qatari cheerleaders.

Liberal Tears FFS.

Tarrou

‘annoying the liberal lefties is just an added bonus’ deserves to be a meme

stevoc

So, who are those type of owners willing to buy United? The bottom line is that the club need huge investment. Stadium falling apart, training ground in tatters.....squad still needs cash injection in the summer just to make CL next season.....

Our mantra has always been simple. To rid ourselves of the virus that has been killing our club and 18 years of decay... A FULL SALE ONLY is the acceptable outcome. Nothing less. It is not just the club that is broken. 18 years of Glazer ownership has broken our fanbase. This was by Glazer design and we intend to unite and heal it. The Glazers are not just betraying the club we love. To us they are betraying the memories of past generations who instilled United into us. Those we think about every time we watch United play. Lets not forget what we are dealing with here... A horrible family with questionable morals and ethics. A family who sued members of their own family for business assets in a family will. A family who only care about money and greed. A family people working at the club can’t stand. A family who betrayed the national game and tried taking us into a European Super League. A family despised by a global fanbase. That takes some doing.

As a United fan, I'll take a debt free owner prepared to rebuild infrastructure at all levels rather than one like the ones we're hopefully getting rid of.
Is the training ground really in tatters though?

colombianmancunian

That’s exactly what I want! The money! Never hided it, how am I a hypocrite?

Morals? I’m not mother Theresa. I just want this club to have an owner who competes with City’s in terms of wealth.

Let me ask a question: Have you actually cared about HR in the ME before Qatar was interested in United? Or you suddenly become a moralist when Sheikh Jassim showed interest?

Yuck.

Imagine actually saying this kind of garbage unironically.

There’s a lot of very thick people in the World!
Sorry for daring to have a diferent opinion. Sorry for not being a liberal like apparently people are unanimously. Apparently for you, everyone’s has to think the same way.

Last edited:

NLunited

That’s exactly what I want! The money! Never hided it, how am I a hypocrite?

Morals? I’m not mother Theresa. I just want this club to have an owner who competes with City’s in terms of wealth.

Let me ask a question: Have you actually cared about HR in the ME before Qatar was interested in United? Or you suddenly become a moralist when Sheikh Jassim showed interest?

Sorry for daring to have a diferent opinion. Sorry for not being a liberal like apparently people are unanimously. Apparently for you, everyone’s has to think the same way.
Yes I have been concerned about human rights my whole life. I follow the news.

The way Qatar got the World Cup (through bribes) and consequently how they treated foreign labourers ( and still do) is how they got on my radar.

The Saudis have supported terrorism against the US while doing business with us. Chopping up Jamal Kashogi.

You hardly have to be liberal to care about these things. You just prefer to be an Ostrich.

Be an Ostrich. But don‘t get upset if people point out stuff that is beyond the pale.

I‘m not asking for much. Don‘t discriminate, mistreat women, throw gay people in prison and don‘t take your worker‘s passports so they can‘t leave, or work them to death.

The Qatari aren‘t capable of that. Nothing has changed.

I think their values don‘t match ours, and we should not invite them in our lives. The same way I will not welcome a Putin ally.

There are other ways we can get what we want, would that not be preferable?

Dan_F

Even if someone hadn’t, don’t you think it makes sense for someone to become more concerned when their club is going to be a vehicle to mask said abuses?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Which values are these? The same ones that lead to you being warned and temp banned in this thread for using descriminatory language? I certainly dont respect the values of that kind of person

Not surprising to see someone with proven prejudices come out with such stereotypes either.
You don't know anything about Sheikh Jassim's values or views. Like you said, he's not the state of Qatar.

NYAS

Which values are these? The same ones that lead to you being warned and temp banned in this thread for using descriminatory language? I certainly dont respect the values of that kind of person

Not surprising to see someone with proven prejudices come out with such stereotypes either.
You don't know anything about Sheikh Jassim's values or views. Like you said, he's not the state of Qatar.
The guy literally described Arabs as goatfeckers and not only is he back here with no shame or remorse, but people are still wasting their time on him. Bizarre really.

NLunited

The guy literally described Arabs as goatfeckers and not only is he back here with no shame or remorse, but people are still wasting their time on him. Bizarre really.
My points are valid and good except for using one unfortunate term, which I regret.

I‘m just not going to look the other way because someone gives us lots of money.

This issue is never going to go away if Qatar buys us, you can forget that. There always will be controversy surrounding our club. Why the heck would you want that?

Yakuza_devils

Wow....just wow. And he was preaching about taking moral stand. Unbelievable.

Bert_

Not read this thread for a while. Still an embarrassing shitshow.

From what I gather, the latest argument for whoring ourselves out to the Qatari state is that they are the only ones capable of building a new stadium. Why is this the case?

How many clubs have had stadiums built and paid for in cash? How much have PSG and City's owners spent on their stadiums?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Spot on.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Not read this thread for a while. Still an embarrassing shitshow.

From what I gather, the latest argument for whoring ourselves out to the Qatari state is that they are the only ones capable of building a new stadium. Why is this the case?

How many clubs have had stadiums built and paid for in cash? How much have PSG and City's owners spent on their stadiums?
Why do some people who have never been to the stadium seem so stressed by the stadium?

Dannn411

Seeing the price tags beind brandished, the desperate needs we have in the squad and the state of our facilities and the expenses associated with upgrading them, we need to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
My points are valid and good except for using one unfortunate term, which I regret.
You regret it because it shows your true colours as a xenophobe - no one should waste time discussing moral issues with someone with such clear prejudices

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why do some people who have never been to the stadium seem so stressed by the stadium?
The vast majority of matchgoers think the stadium is in dire need of investment - don't you?!

it's the biggest issue for the club on a financial level and one of the main reasons that the Glazers have been forced to put the club up for sale