ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
That’s according to my opinion.

Apart serially cheating for ten years in their bookkeeping, when you look at what the owners of Man City have done for the club and the stadium environs, frankly it would be difficult to criticize them. Over the last 15 years I would have been quite happy if the Glazers had run United the same way that Abu Dhabi has done things at Man City. The Glazers are the greediest owners in the history of all sports. They have milked the club for so many years and they have burnt a beautiful football institution to the ground with all of us watching... 1 Carabao cup in 6 years for a club of United stature? They have to sell because the club needs a huge amount of work both on and off the pitch and now they have run out of ideas of how to milk the club, they are done, success under EtH is all they can cling on to but without a large transfer kitty to keep up with City and Chelsea then that will fail as well. I have a feeling that the bid from Sheikh Jassim will probably win and although that would not be my first choice, I am honestly not sure that it would be a bad thing for the club and its fan base.

What do you think is the best for United’s future?
There is literally no evidence at the moment that the Qatari bid (or any bid for that matter) is the best one for the club. None. Zero.

Also, aside from the serious cheating, is quite funny. If 25% of those charges turn out to be true then any good work they've done has been utterly pointless.

What I think is the best for United's history is the one where fans are no longer taking for granted, where the club isn't used as a vehicle for sportwashing.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Qatari ownership would be a dream come true for me.

Would be gutting if it doesn't go through now

Dan_F

Qatari ownership would be a dream come true for me.

Would be gutting if it doesn't go through now
You’ve dreamt of United being ran by a Qatari banker? Didn’t we have a banker CEO previously who turned out to be one of the worst things that ever happened to the club.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You’ve dreamt of United being ran by a Qatari banker? Didn’t we have a banker CEO previously who turned out to be one of the worst things that ever happened to the club.
In 2016 @Attila was criticising Xavi for accepting Qatar money, complaining about their dodgy deals and hoping the World Cup got taken off them.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Please don't believe this, totally fake news and reported
I don't know if this is true about you in particular but it's true about many others on this forum.

Sportswashing works and it works bleeding quickly. ME money in football has been a very sour subject for most Utd fans over the last decade. The second there's a whiff we could be joining the party then people totally flip their stance on it.

Also you dreamed of it? Curious as to why? Qatar will be buying us to further enhance their nation and to try and attract tourism etc. Nobody dreams of this for their club unless you're Qatari yourself.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I don't know if this is true about you in particular but it's true about many others on this forum.

Sportswashing works and it works bleeding quickly. ME money in football has been a very sour subject for most Utd fans over the last decade. The second there's a whiff we could be joining the party then people totally flip their stance on it.

Also you dreamed of it? Curious as to why? Qatar will be buying us to further enhance their nation and to try and attract tourism etc. Nobody dreams of this for their club unless you're Qatari yourself.
Mbappe

redcucumber

Even then I find it odd. Do people actually like their own country enough that they would want it to own United? The majority of nations are run by utter feckwads who only look out for themselves and are actively participating in destroying the planet for their own ends. I know you can apply that to most businessmen, but nation states are another level of fecked.

sparx99

Why do people say Sportswashing works? I know way more about Qatar and their behaviour since they got involved in sports not less.

Honestly, I just think it’s rich people doing rich people things like buying sports teams.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why do people say Sportswashing works? I know way more about Qatar and their behaviour since they got involved in sports not less.

Honestly, I just think it’s rich people doing rich people things like buying sports teams.
There is literally a poster on this page who used to post about hating Qatar and now says it’s his dream to be owned by them because they’ll sign Mbappe.

redcucumber

The idea that these incredibly wealthy and powerful people are spending several billion on a football club just for a laugh and cos 'why not?' feels somewhat idealised to me.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Buying Utd for 6bn, spending a further 2-3bn on infrastructure and clearing debt isn't a sound financial decision for anyone. Nobody on earth should be looking at that as a great opportunity.

Qatar want it because making money from it isn't their goal. They want a major global brand to help boost their nation's image.

You say you have found out more about Qatar since. What were your thoughts on seeing the slums of where all the migrant workers died?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You seem to be confused about the difference between an owner and the CEO

sparx99

The idea that these incredibly wealthy and powerful people are spending several billion on a football club just for a laugh and cos 'why not?' feels somewhat idealised to me.
I think they run out of things to do. There is only so many yachts and Bugattis to own. I can certainly imagine wanting to buy a sports team if I had their money.

Dan_F

You seem to be confused about the difference between an owner and the CEO
Nice try. Hence me using the term CEO for Woodward and not owner. My point was, we had a banker thinking he could get involved in running the football side of things previously. Saying it’s a dream that we’re owned by a Qatari banker is just weird. What if he’s a Qatari Woodward and thinks he knows better than Ten Hag.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Buying Utd for 6bn, spending a further 2-3bn on infrastructure and clearing debt isn't a sound financial decision for anyone. Nobody on earth should be looking at that as a great opportunity.

Qatar want it because making money from it isn't their goal. They want a major global brand to help boost their nation's image.
If that's the only reason then why do INEOS and Elliot want to get involved ?

The club will increase in value over time - none of these guys got rich by making bad investment decisions

redcucumber

I think they run out of things to do. There is only so many yachts and Bugattis to own. I can certainly imagine wanting to buy a sports team if I had their money.
Maybe I'm just a lot more cynical of these types of people than you are.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nice try. Hence me using the term CEO for Woodward and not owner. My point was, we had a banker thinking he could get involved in running the football side of things previously. Saying it’s a dream that we’re owned by a Qatari banker is just weird. What if he’s a Qatari Woodward and thinks he knows better than Ten Hag.
Ye well the comparison is completely irrelevant as it's completely different positions, whoever our new owner is will likely hire a new CEO

It is a valid concern about any new owner meddling in the manager's job - could or course happen with any owner though

Dan_F

Ye well the comparison is completely irrelevant as it's completely different positions, whoever our new owner is will likely hire a new CEO

It is a valid concern about any new owner meddling in the manager's job - could or course happen with any owner though
Yes they likely will but that doesn’t make any difference to my point about a potential owner meddling in things they don’t know about. Like Woodward thinking he knew about football matters, when in reality it should have been delegated.

Could happen with any owner, but obviously we’re in a thread about Qatari ownership, talking about a poster who dreams of this guy owning the club.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yes they likely will but that doesn’t make any difference to my point about a potential owner meddling in things they don’t know about. Like Woodward thinking he knew about football matters, when in reality it should have been delegated.

Could happen with any owner, but obviously we’re in a thread about Qatari ownership, talking about a poster who dreams of this guy owning the club.
But what is your point exactly?

Do you think 'meddling' is any more likely with Sheikh Jassim than Sir Jim?

tomaldinho1

If that's the only reason then why do INEOS and Elliot want to get involved ?

The club will increase in value over time - none of these guys got rich by making bad investment decisions
The other bids, and we only know of 1 in Ineos thats real, as Elliott isn’t a bid it’s an offer of funding, aren’t going to be as loose with their price.

From what I can see the only actual options as it stands are Qatar, Ineos and Zillicus says he has bid although I’m not sure he’s actually in the running.

Dan_F

That ‘dreaming’ about an owner who you know nothing about is weird behaviour.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
There is literally a poster on this page who used to post about hating Qatar and now says it’s his dream to be owned by them because they’ll sign Mbappe.
I never posted about hating Qatar?

JagUTD

I think I understand why some dream of being owned by a banker. You only have to change one letter that describes our current owners and you get banker.

It's convenient.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Why do you insist on calling him Sir Jim? I mean, go hard. But it’s really weird.

Everyone in the running to buy is is truly awful. Adding a referential aspect to it feels so odd.

Yakuza_devils

I can't believe this moral superiority over other posters is still a thing here.

The results of the poll is clear. A very big majority are fine/will still support the club if Qatar take over.

The main concern now is how fast the Glazers can be gone and leave us enough time to plan for the summer with new owners. We don't want to waste another season. As it stand without new owners we will be shopping for the likes of Weghorst and Sabizter again.

Just to be clear, regardless of who will be the new owners, for me what's best for the club in term of "football" is most important. We need to invest in stadium, training centre, new signings and further improve on modern football structure with many latest technologies in scouting, data, nutrition, science, phycology and whatnot.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That ‘dreaming’ about an owner who you know nothing about is weird behaviour.
Ok Fair enough but your comparison to Woodward was also weird seeing as he's never been our owner

And I assume fans are 'dreaming' about being debt free, getting a new stadium etc - not much to do with Jassim himself

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why do you insist on calling him Sir Jim? I mean, go hard. But it’s really weird.

Everyone in the running to buy is is truly awful. Adding a referential aspect to it feels so odd.
Because I couldn't be arsed to type Ratcliffe! Just like I can't be arsed to write Jassim's full name either