ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Qatar is a totalitarian state, it doesn't require logic because it is not an argument, it is a fact.
It's absolutely not a fact - authoritarian perhaps but certainly doesnt quality as a 'brutal totalitarian' regime.

In fact in the Gulf region it's one of the more 'free' states compared to neighbours like Saudi Arabia or Abu Dhabi and its nowhere near the top of the list of least democratic regimes on the planet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#/media/File:Democracy_Index_2022.svg

Anyway thats going off topic - I was actually more interested in logic behind the sportwashing comments

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Over a state owning United? All of them are morally superior.
There is no state officially bidding for United, but ok I get that you dont agree with that

So you prefer Elliott Capital backing the Glazers?

Member 125398

Anyway thats going off topic - I was actually more interested in logic behind the sportwashing comments
The arguments for sportwashing are well documented, evidenced and explained by people far more eloquent than me to the extent that they could be considered conventional. The onus is on those arguing that it is not sportwashing to explain why, So far, I've been told it's a vanity purchase and nothing more with no explanation as to how that conclusion was reached.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The arguments for sportwashing are well documented, evidenced and explained by people far more eloquent than me to the extent that they could be considered conventional. The onus is on those arguing that it is not sportwashing to explain why, So far, I've been told it's a vanity purchase and nothing more with no explanation as to how that conclusion was reached.
I'm not interested in general arguments about sportswashing, I'm talking about specifics that apply to Sheikh Jassim buying Man United

There are any number of other reasons to buy our club: he's a lifelong fan who thinks he can do a better job than the current lot, vanity, profit, family legacy etc.
We are the crown jewels of sports clubs on this planet, the opportunity to buy only comes around once in a generation

Yes. I’d rather keep the Glazers.
You might want to have a look into the background of Elliott hedge fund - so called 'vulture capitalists' with the power to bring entire countries to their knees after buying up their bad debts

But let's say the Glazers stay as you prefer - how does that improve the human rights situation in Qatar that you seem so bothered about?

Member 125398

I'm not interested in general arguments about sportswashing, I'm talking about specifics that apply to Sheikh Jassim buying Man United

There are any number of other reasons to buy our club: he's a lifelong fan who thinks he can do a better job than the current lot, vanity, profit, family legacy etc.
We are the crown jewels of sports clubs on this planet, the opportunity to buy only comes around once in a generation

You might want to have a look into the background of Elliott hedge fund - so called 'vulture capitalists' with the power to bring entire countries to their knees after buying up their bad debts

But let's say the Glazers stay as you prefer - how does that improve the human rights situation in Qatar that you seem so bothered about?
There is a single tweet in support of that argument as opposed to a mountain of academic, journalistic and historical evidence to support the idea of sportwashing. But lets say you are correct and the sportwashing possibilities are just a free bonus that come with a purchase motivated by different reason. The sportwashing still exists.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There is a single tweet in support of that argument as opposed to a mountain of academic, journalistic and historical evidence to support the idea of sportwashing. But lets say you are correct and the sportwashing possibilities are just a free bonus that come with a purchase motivated by different reason. The sportwashing still exists.
I'm not interested in general arguments about sportswashing, I'm talking about specifics that apply to Sheikh Jassim buying Man United (I have not seen any academic or journalistic evidence related to this)

Remember unlike Man City, PSG and Newcastle - no state fund is bidding for Man United

So how does a state sportswash without even putting their name on the bid?

Last edited:

Eleven-Eighteen

You've managed to explain a small part of sportwashing there. Everyone's caught up in the idea that's it about covering up their shameful treatment of migrant workers but that's a very small part of it. It's about creating international and domestic legitimacy for a brutal totalitarian regime and it's the oldest trick in the book. Why do you think Vespasian built the Colosseum?
Agree with your point. In the case of the Middle Eastern countries, it's not just sportswashing btw. They have so much money they can buy anything on this planet. They've frankly gotten bored of owning the biggest yachts, the fastest cars and the best planes. Sports appeals to these oil monarchs because it's one area where you cannot simply buy your way into victory. Yes I know the league titles suggest otherwise, but how many CL titles have City and PSG won since the takeovers? A friend whose family lives in Qatar told me this, and it made everything make so much more sense to me personally.

Member 125398

I'm not interested in general arguments about sportswashing, I'm talking about specifics that apply to Sheikh Jassim buying Man United (I have not seen any academic or journalistic evidence related to this)

If you don't have any then just say so
I understand that you have a view that Jassim isn't representing the Qatari state and that's where your're trying to lead me. It's going to be impossible to conclusively prove either way. That, in itself, is problematic in my view.

Edit: Here's a quote from Qatari state media:
Jassim’s bid has not come as a surprise to experts who say it aligns with his country’s ambition to be seen as a sporting powerhouse.
His interest in Manchester United suggests that Qatar is embarking on the next stage of this ambition, according to Ross Griffin, an assistant professor at Qatar University whose research interests include the portrayal of the Arab world in Western media and the relationship between sport and postcolonial society.

“Qatar’s ambition [in sport] is breaking up into two branches,” he said. The first will continue to focus on Qatar hosting sporting events such as the Asian Cup in 2024 and the Asian Games in 2030 while the potential purchase of a Premier League football club would be part of the second branch.
https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/20...ited-bid-qatar-signals-global-sporting-intent

Last edited by a moderator:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I understand that you have a view that Jassim isn't representing the Qatari state and that's where your're trying to lead me. It's going to be impossible to conclusively prove either way. That, in itself, is problematic in my view.
Actually my view is that it is not clear either way if Sheikh Jassim is representing the Qatari state, it's certainly possible but by no means definite as some claim

That being the case, I do have an issue with any opinion that at its base assumes it's a state bid

redcucumber

Remember unlike Man City, PSG and Newcastle - no state fund is bidding for Man United

Has this been conclusively confirmed one way or another? Surely the fact we are being linked along with PSG and Braga as becoming some sort of consortium of teams under Qatar's network suggests there is a state link?

Member 125398

Actually my view is that it is not clear either way if Sheikh Jassim is representing the Qatari state, it's certainly possible but by no means definite as some claim

That being the case, I do have an issue with any opinion that at its base assumes it's a state bid
See the quotes above. Out of the horses mouth so to speak.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Has this been conclusively confirmed one way or another? Surely the fact we are being linked along with PSG and Braga as becoming some sort of consortium of teams under Qatar's network suggests there is a state link?
QSI are the official owners of PSG, they also own a minority (20%) share in Braga

Sheikh Jassim says his bid is private so not connected to QSI

Some other Qatari also owns Malaga - officially this is not connected to QSI either.
In fact QSI say they want to buy Malaga, which is a clear example that just because you are a rich Qatari, doesn't mean you are the state.

Last edited:

NLunited

Regardless of how rich they are, Qatar is a developing country because their natural resource wealth is a relatively recent discovery.

I's a valid criticism to say they are rich enough to be doing better in terms of workers rights.
In reality they are way behind many Western countries in infrastructure and social development, but catching up rapidly.

You want to call it murder/manslaughter in Qatar, well how about the 30 dead on construction sites in UK last year ? Is that murder too? The number shouldn't make any difference, it either is or it isn't

Anyway to me, none of this is even that relevant to the question of who is going to be the best owner for Manchester United.
If they come in and build a new stadium then it will be to UK health and safety standards, maybe they can even learn from the process and improve the situation in their own country.
How can you compare 30 accidents to thousands of deaths in Qatar under life threatening circumstances? Go work outside in 40-50 degree heat for a couple of weeks without enough water breaks and no airco in the facilities where you stay.

Feck Qatar and all those who empower them.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
See the quotes above. Out of the horses mouth so to speak.
That's a pretty balanced article which presents the other side too though

However, some experts said the influx of capital from the Gulf region into international sport is not linked to image-building or “sportswashing”.

“This isn’t about soft power. It’s about money and governance,” said Craig LaMay, director of the journalism and strategic communications programme at Northwestern University’s Qatar campus...

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
How can you compare 30 accidents to thousands of deaths in Qatar under life threatening circumstances?
Ah so if someone dies on a building site in the UK, it's an 'accident' but if it's in Qatar then it's 'murder'

Seems fair

Bert_

You expect a full dossier to prove someone who no one has ever heard of and claiming to be one of the most cash rich people in the world isn't what he claims to be?

I have £20 billion in my bank account and might buy Real Madrid. Prove otherwise.

Member 125398

That's a pretty balanced article which presents the other side too though

However, some experts said the influx of capital from the Gulf region into international sport is not linked to image-building or “sportswashing”.

“This isn’t about soft power. It’s about money and governance,” said Craig LaMay, director of the journalism and strategic communications programme at Northwestern University’s Qatar campus...
A one line rebuttal carrying no explanation, whose or what money and what governance?. Like I say, even if, in the unlikely event that, there are no credible links between the bid and the state, it's is clear that the state will take full advantage of any association. I suppose we each have a burden of proof required in order to form an opinion. My opinion on this particular issue is flexible and based on the balance of probabilities as the nature of the situation makes a conclusive proof impossible. The available information, descriptions of business and political life in Qatar and historical evidence that I have seen weighs heavily to the view that there is state involvement. If you've got anything that refutes that I'm happy to hear it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Because I wouldn’t be supporting them? I wouldn’t be giving money to them?

is there genuinely no evil regime that could own United that would upset you?

I mean surely that obvious?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
1. Their foray into football was the cause of those a good deal of those shameful acts.
2. The process of projecting legitimacy doesn't stop.
1. I agree, and just 1 migrant worker in the Kafala system is cause for condemnation, however the vast majority of these acts occurred prior, during the development of these places into the hubs we know today. So yes, building stadiums was done with the help of human suffering. But this was ongoing at massive scales long before they touched football. And personally, I really didn't hear much of it until they started getting interested in football. It would have been better off for their reputation if they acted like Mauritania. You ask what's bad about Mauritania? Exactly... they did the smart thing in not bidding for WC 2026.

2. It doesn't, but it's about the scale. Relative to the level of legitimacy they've attained already, already, buying a football club does not move the meter much. They're already in. They're embedded. This may be the cherry on top but without the cherry it's still an awesome sundae. For a country/continent that's sold out to them already, it looks weird to make football the last bastion unpolluted by their influence.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
A one line rebuttal carrying no explanation, whose or what money and what governance?. Like I say, even if, in the unlikely event that, there are no credible links between the bid and the state, it's is clear that the state will take full advantage of any association. I suppose we each have a burden of proof required in order to form an opinion. My opinion on this particular issue is flexible and based on the balance of probabilities as the nature of the situation makes a conclusive proof impossible. The available information, descriptions of business and political life in Qatar and historical evidence that I have seen weighs heavily to the view that there is state involvement. If you've got anything that refutes that I'm happy to hear it.
My research shows that the money is not an issue - that seems to be many people's reason for why they think it must be a state bid (based on massive under estimates of the family wealth in the media).

There is enough info out there including huge deals HBJ was involved in while working for the sovereign wealth fund, assets & real estate he is known to own, subsequent investments via the private family office (managed by Sheikh Jassim) to suggest that HBJ is a multi billionaire plus has strong links to several financial institutions for any other funding needed. So I have no doubt that they can afford to buy us privately.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Because I wouldn’t be supporting them? I wouldn’t be giving money to them?

is there genuinely no evil regime that could own United that would upset you?

I mean surely that obvious?
There is no owner that would stop me supporting the eleven players in the pitch and going to Old Trafford to watch the match. I do not see that as supporting an owner, I'm supporting my club.
I already had to make this decision when the Glazers came and some fans chose to leave and it's no different now. I decided back then that I was there before them and I would be there after them. I spent a fair bit of time arguing against boycotts on this forum back then and I actually think there was more reason to boycott back then than there would be now.

I do not see any connection between buying a ticket to watch your team in Manchester (or watching on the TV) and the human rights situation in Qatar.

The most important thing here is who is the best potential owner for the club, who will invest in the stadium and sort out our boardroom issues.

I find it absolutely bizarre that you would prefer the Glazers who have mismanaged us for several years based on some worthless moral crusade.

Last edited:

MTF

My research shows that the money is not an issue - that seems to be many people's reason for why they think it must be a state bid (based on massive under estimates of the family wealth in the media).

There is enough info out there including huge deals HBJ was involved in while working for the sovereign wealth fund, assets & real estate he is known to own, subsequent investments via the private family office (managed by Sheikh Jassim) to suggest that HBJ is a multi billionaire plus has strong links to several financial institutions for any other funding needed. So I have no doubt that they can afford to buy us privately.
So what's your math on HBJ's fortune, that leaves you 'no doubt'?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ah so if someone dies on a building site in the UK, it's an 'accident' but if it's in Qatar then it's 'murder'

Seems fair
:lol: Jesus. Only one of these is using malnourished slaves who were fooled into coming over by pretense. This time not the UK.

Last edited:

MTF

Posted it up a couple of days ago - feel free to check my post history. I'll dig it out if I get a chance
That's a bit much. Is it the one where you argued that HBJ earned 2+20 on QIA's assets for the years he was at the head of it? Because that is how a hedge fund in the US or Europe works (and the owner doesn't get to keep all of it because there's all of the other employee's salaries+bonuses and other expenses), but not how sovereign wealth funds work. Otherwise some of the managers of Norway's SWF would be the richest people in the world.

Getting millionaire/low billionaire rich because you were involved, be it as a banker, a manager, or a minor partner, in many big deals over your career is something that happens. 10+ billion in wealth without it being your own capital at risk is corruption.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I do not see any connection between buying a ticket to watch your team in Manchester (or watching on the TV) and the human rights situation in Qatar.
There isn't. If there is, then the lack of uproar over the more significant connections caused by the UK and Qatar intertwining in defense, economics, culture, real estate... is hypocritical or dumb and that's me being polite

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There is no owner that would stop me supporting the eleven players in the pitch and going to Old Trafford to watch the match. I do not see that as supporting an owner, I'm supporting my club.
I already had to make this decision when the Glazers came and some fans chose to leave and it's no different now. I decided back then that I was there before them and I would be there after them. I spent a fair bit of time arguing against boycotts on this forum back then and I actually think there was more reason to boycott back then than there would be now.

The most important thing here is who is the best potential owner for the club, who will invest in the stadium and sort out our boardroom issues.

I find it absolutely bizarre that you would prefer the Glazers who have mismanaged us for several years based on some worthless moral crusade.
Similar thoughts.

I am at every home game and some away. Some members of my family are at every United game home and away including Europe. I will welcome any owner who provides us with a team able to compete at the very top. To be fair, I'm not even bothered about an upgrade of the stadium or Carrington.

I salute those who genuinely care about the working conditions of people in Qatar. I'm too invested in the club since my childhood to get really concerned about the situation in Qatar. There is absolutely nothing I can do to change the situation. I have a family member who moved to Qatar and he loves the place. He argues those working in Qatar have better pay and conditions than back home in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and the Philippines.

As much as it's admired to be concerned our standard of living and working conditions in the West are mostly better than those of other poorer nations whose workforce are willing to sacrifice living away from families to earn more money than in their home countries.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That's a bit much. Is it the one where you argued that HBJ earned 2+20 on QIA's assets for the years he was at the head of it? Because that is how a hedge fund in the US or Europe works (and the owner doesn't get to keep all of it because there's all of the other employee's salaries+bonuses and other expenses), but not how sovereign wealth funds work. Otherwise some of the managers of Norway's SWF would be the richest people in the world.

Getting millionaire/low billionaire rich because you were involved, be it as a banker, a manager, or a minor partner, in many big deals over your career is something that happens. 10+ billion in wealth without it being your own capital at risk is corruption.
I don't actually think he would have been taking as much as 2+20, it was just an example of what's considered normal. Let's say it's half, even a quarter - feel free to do the maths.

Then imagine that he left his state role in 2013 and used that money to set up a private family office fund to invest in real estate etc - this one managed by Sheikh Jassim himself for some years. Here are just one or two of the assets the family owns privately:
https://www.oerlive.com/qatar/former-qatari-pm-cashes-in-with-333-million-london-hotel-sales/

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesand...ncil-vetoes-staircase-renovation-a135876.html

https://www.manchesterworld.uk/spor...-mansions-to-yachts-and-picasso-works-4056410

So Norway is clearly not a good comparison - do the managers of their SWF own a $300m yacht or have the funds to buy a $200m Picasso or a £150m house in London?

These are just a few of the assets we actually know about, just try to imagine all the assets that are not public knowledge!
By the way that Picasso purchase was the most anyone in the history of the planet Earth had ever paid for a piece of art. And his London house will be the most expensive home in the UK (£300m value).
I'd suggest the person who is able to do that is probably one of the world's wealthiest people.

Sultan

Those wanting to boycott the club due to their concerns I would also say they need to research our major clothing suppliers whose manufacturing are based in poorer countries. I can guarantee they work in far poor conditions and death rates from accidents are pretty common. We are very likely to be supporting these businesses by wearing the garments every day. Difficult to live a such high moral life.

Sultan

If those in the West are so concerned about the working and living conditions of the workers in these newly developing countries it is mostly their citizens who are at the forefront of the development of infrastructure and buildings. They can and should make a stand against unsafe conditions with the Qatari government or threaten to quit. Similarly, the workers mostly know exactly the working and living conditions before they commit to signing contracts.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Those wanting to boycott the club due to their concerns I would also say they need to research our major clothing suppliers whose manufacturing are based in poorer countries. I can guarantee they work in far poor conditions and death rates from accidents are pretty common. We are very likely to be supporting these businesses by wearing the garments every day. Difficult to live a such high moral life.
Thankfully we only have to look at the poll to see that the vast majority (85%) are not considering any kind of boycott and I'm sure many of those who are conflicted will keep supporting too

I totally understand that some fans have concerns, I do too, but ultimately I'm only interested in what's in the best interests of our club

And we do need that stadium refurb sooner or later !

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If those in the West are so concerned about the working and living conditions of the workers in these newly developing countries it is mostly their citizens who are at the forefront of the development of infrastructure and buildings. They can and should make a stand against unsafe conditions with the Qatari government or threaten to quit. Similarly, the workers mostly know exactly the working and living conditions before they commit to signing contracts.
What the actual heck is going on now?

You categorically can’t say that Sultan. They aren’t paid ffs!

Sultan

They aren’t paid ffs!
Do you really believe the employees are not paid?

There are probably more concerning reasons to be against a Qatari owning the club than coming up with unfounded accusations.

stevoc

But in many cases the contract is only signed after arriving in Qatar buy which time of course many migrant workers will have taken out large loans to pay agents, travel fees etc.

https://www.sheenservices.com/news/...#:~:text=Signing contracts: If the employer,8.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's not proof of some plan at work by Qatar/Oligarchs/et al, to show that fans are hypocrites.
Well, no - it's not proof of that.

But United have millions of fans. And if a (significant) number of those fans go from actively (vocally) stating their dismay with Qatar (in one way or another) to actively (vocally) stating their support of Qatari ownership...that works in Qatar's favour, yes?

(I mean, it obviously does - it can hardly be interpreted in any other way.)

If you don't want to call it "sportswashing", then fair enough: but it hardly matters what you call it: the effect is the same.

ETA

Let's be clear about what we're talking about here:

This isn't simply about "hypocritical" United fans accepting Qatar as the club's new owners, i.e. people who have previously voiced their dismay with City's (or PSG's, not least) owners on seemingly "moral" grounds - but who now happily accept Qatar, thus exposing themselves as hypocrites, etc.

It's about United fans who bend themselves out of shape to rationalize their new stance: look at this thread (and the other one). It's dominated by posters who are either fully against Qatar - and posters who are making all manner of excuses on behalf of the (potential) new owners (in terms of those pesky subjects - we all know what they are).

The posters who flat out admit that they just don't give a shit about "morals" (they just care about football) are much less prominent.

Now, following your premise (as I take it to be): the latter category proves your point to a degree. The former, however, clearly does not: they (the posters in this category) are effectively doing a "sportswashing" job on behalf of Qatar.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

I hate this line of argument because it is akin to saying "those who aren't concerned about everything should not be concerned about anything". It is deflection and whataboutism.

The topic for discussion on this Manchester United forum right now is, understandably, a state-backed ownership of the club where that state has demonstrated a disregard for human rights. People are right to be concerned and disturbed at this prospect.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Do you really believe the employees are not paid?

There are probably more concerning reasons to be against a Qatari owning the club than coming up with unfounded accusations.
There have literally been instances of this yes?

Why… do you think human rights groups across the world are up in arms about this bid?