Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
januzaj not having pace is not up for debate. he has pace. loads of it. anyone who thinks otherwise is being daft.

if we're going to nitpick on AJ, surely there are other areas of his game that warrant it more?

Sam

januzaj not having pace is not up for debate. he has pace. loads of it. anyone who thinks otherwise is being daft.

if we're going to nitpick on AJ, surely there are other areas of his game that warrant it more?
He's fast once he gets going. But he doesn't have that explosive pace that you want from a winger.

No one is saying he's slow.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's not slow but neither is he really fast. He can beat players with skill but often the full backs can get back to their positions because he lacks that extra yard of pace.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think his top speed is awful, but he lacks great acceleration. That first 10 yards is so important for good wingers (sterling,Neymar,Hazard,Moura etc). While he is quick enough to beat most people when moving he struggles from a standstill IMO.
I agree. Top speed means nothing if we play that LvG risk-free possession game. He has the skills to beat a defender when on low speed though (something Di Maria isn’t very good at- he thrives at top speed dribbling).

Perhaps he looks slower because sometimes he takes too long on the ball. Also we pass it quite slowly so he never has that much space to have a go.
Exactly.

ravelston

Read the numbers. Means that in a race for the ball from the halfway line to the byline, Mousa Sissoko could give him a two yard start and still beat him to the ball. (Which could be relevant as we're about to play Newcastle.) Speed isn't his primary asset - he's not likely to beat many players by pushing the ball past them and sprinting - but that's not really a surprise to anyone who's watched him. Doesn't mean he's slow, he's just not fast enough to use speed as a weapon.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
LVG even said right now that Januzaj played very well against Sunderland... Wondering why that isnt enough to start? I imagine he's set up to be the first sub today.

Devil may care

After the performance the other day he was a let down when he came on, I guess we have to accept the erratic nature of young players.

RU Devil

Yeah, no improvement over ADM this time. Kinda wish he came on for Fellaini instead. Only real contribution was getting a YC on Jonas, LOL. After that, nothing.

Truedevil

He took the throw in quickly right before the goal so i'm pretty satisfied with his contribution to the winning goal.

m1y2

it wasn't a good cameo for him but he should have been handed a start in the first place because when you're coming on at such state of game there is quite some pressure to do something with the game especially when you are as confident as Januzaj so he tried things which didn't come off today as simple as that..

RedOldBoy

Could he play as a no.10? He's definitely quicker than Mata, Herrera or Fellaini and isn't afraid to play in risky passes. Maybe he isn't fast enough to be a winger, but I'm sure we can utilise his technical skills elsewhere on the pitch.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
What did you lot expect him to do? Newcastle parked the bus, did you expect him to play the no risk passes or expect him to try and make things happen. In such matches it's very difficult for a winger, dribble 2 times and there are 2 players in front if you, pass the ball backwards and you have no influence.. Only the likesnof Robben, Ribery, Messi can handle these situations perfectly.

ZDwyr

Started brightly when he came on but then sort of faded. Didn't contribute a lot.

Moriarty

What did you lot expect him to do? Newcastle parked the bus, did you expect him to play the no risk passes or expect him to try and make things happen. In such matches it's very difficult for a winger, dribble 2 times and there are 2 players in front if you, pass the ball backwards and you have no influence.. Only the likesnof Robben, Ribery, Messi can handle these situations perfectly.
Good points. We do not feed our wingers quickly enough. By the time they get the ball, the opposition has got men behind the ball and a couple of markers sitting on the winger. A fast ball into space on the counter allows the winger to build up speed and attack the full back. Both Young and Januzaj would benefit from this but our no-risk style of play of late has cut this out of our game somewhat.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Helped win the match with that quick throw-in, and in the process helped redeem his, Rooney's, and Young's performances.

Such is the fine line between success and failure at the top level...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He struggled to get going as a sub, particularly as Newcastle were happy with sitting back in numbers for much of the match. He did play some nice crosses and passes, but given that Newcastle were sitting back in numbers, it was never easy for him to get going as he was double-teamed for much of the time.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He struggled to get going as a sub, particularly as Newcastle were happy with sitting back in numbers for much of the match. He did play some nice crosses and passes, but given that Newcastle were sitting back in numbers, it was never easy for him to get going as he was double-teamed for much of the time.
... So do you agree with some of the enlightened folk here that he needs to go on loan?

XdanielredX

Commentator was hitting the nail on the head tonight.

The way we play just isn't how it used to be and it doesn't suit Januzaj at all.

It used to be turn and run at the opposition now when we receive the ball and would normally run and counter attack with them out of position we stop and let them get back into shape and start passing back and forward, does my head in.

ravi2

I think he had some useful touches today and I don't think he needs to go on loan...he just needs to play more for us.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Commentator was hitting the nail on the head tonight.

The way we play just isn't how it used to be and it doesn't suit Januzaj at all.

It used to be turn and run at the opposition now when we receive the ball and would normally run and counter attack with them out of position we stop and let them get back into shape and start passing back and forward, does my head in.
Yup... That's possession football for you.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
... So do you agree with some of the enlightened folk here that he needs to go on loan?
No, I don't think so. He's getting quite a bit of match time here, particularly recently, and he's starting to adapt to van Gaal's ways. Next season, I believe van Gaal will finally have his team set up properly, and this should give Januzaj a better platform to establish his place in.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I don't think he was that bad. Didn't get involved much but wasn't negative with his play or anything.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fairly anonymous. I don't think the wing is his best position.

Status
Not open for further replies.