Adnan Januzaj - Real Sociedad player

Swift Football

He definitely has talent to make it at mid table club at la liga or EPL. He used to go past players quite easily despite him being quite slow. I think he will be one of those late bloomers and do well.

deafepl

He definitely has talent to make it at mid table club at la liga or EPL. He used to go past players quite easily despite him being quite slow. I think he will be one of those late bloomers and do well.
Imagine him performing world-class for the next 2 years, we'll buy him back for 100m+. :(:( I still don't have to worry about him, we got Chong.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

rollingstoned1

Not having that extra yard of pace really hindered him IMO. Was neither quick enough to be a proper winger nor creative enough to be a #10 or inside forward or narrow wide playmaker.

Micky Targaryen

Based on who's expectations? "His real goals total is less than half the expected figure" - How can anyone say that with a straight face?

Those X stats are among the most useless metrics in football.
Exactly. :lol: I personally don't care much for stats when it comes to judging a player's ability, but X-stats ... :houllier:

I think the first time I heard about X-stats was on RAWK.

Smores

I still vividly remember some on here arguing he was obviously way better than Sterling and that we should refuse the rumoured big money offered by PSG. That turned out well.

When we perfects his skills he'll do well later in hid career but i dont think he has the physical characteristics to carry him until then at a top club.

Swift Football

Not having that extra yard of pace really hindered him IMO. Was neither quick enough to be a proper winger nor creative enough to be a #10 or inside forward or narrow wide playmaker.
Agree with this. While he undoubtedly has bags of talent, he is not an ideal player in any particular position, as in for every position he lacks a certain skillset. Pace being the most detrimental one for him. Still feel he can come good in few years, he is still very young.

vayid

Just saw a clip on youtube vs atletico, he was quite good and looked like he enjoyed himself. I wonder if he will develop into a world class player. I hope we put a buy back clause :)

Unfortunately i can't link media, just type this on youtube "Adnan Januzaj vs Atletico Madrid"

Last edited by a moderator:

MalcolmTucker

Just saw a clip on youtube vs atletico, he was quite good and looked like he enjoyed himself. I wonder if he will develop into a world class player. I hope we put a buy back clause :)

Unfortunately i can't link media, just type this on youtube "Adnan Januzaj vs Atletico Madrid"
Looked great, he just needs to have those games more often, though I can't say I've watched too much Sociedad this season.

kidbob

How much is our buy back clause does anyone know? Playing on the right a lot and it seems to suit him. Combination of being a good winger with good ability to beat players while also possessing the vision and passing of a 10. Not in any way saying we should bring him back this year but the buy back clause could end up being vital because I can still see him becoming a monster of a player. Maybe won't give you the stats that a Depay would but he has something special about him in a very different way. What's most impressed me has been his application this year, not shying out of defensive duties and isn't falling over as much. Let him develop for at least another year and if he keeps up the intensity in his game I'd wager a lot wouldn't mind bringing him back.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hope he’s doing well over there and happy if he is.

I’ve tried watching a few sociedad games this season, but most times I see the starting lineup, he’s usually on the bench and comes on for the last 10-15 minutes. That was around 2/3 of the season done. Is that still the case to those watching him?

GuyfromAustria

Hope he’s doing well over there and happy if he is.

I’ve tried watching a few sociedad games this season, but most times I see the starting lineup, he’s usually on the bench and comes on for the last 10-15 minutes. That was around 2/3 of the season done. Is that still the case to those watching him?
He's been in the starting XI for the last 5 league games and played 78, 82, 90, 90 and 90 minutes.
They won 4 of these games, so he should be fine.

marktan

Having that new manager come in in March seems to have benefited a lot with more regular game time. Watched back his performances against Atletico Madrid and Bilbao and he was very good, got a very good assist in each.

Imo, and this might be a controversial statement that could turn out to be completely false, I think he has the potential to push into the world class bracket ala Salah or KDB. His technical fundamentals are so good, he's one of those players whose bodies are just in tune with the ball when he runs, and he can play some great passes too.

What he's been severely lacking in is game time. Since he broke through for us under Moyes, he's had two terrible years under Van Gaal (including a completely pointless loan to Dortmund), and a loan last season to a beyond rubbish Sunderland team that's now finished bottom of the Championship this season with a lot of the same players. Another 2-3 seasons at Sociedad where he starts week in, week out as one of the main men where he'll be able to grow his game will do him the world of good. By that time he'll still only be 25. I like that he's showing more aggression in his recent matches, he has a lot of talent and if he can get the fight to grow he could become something special.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Having that new manager come in in March seems to have benefited a lot with more regular game time. Watched back his performances against Atletico Madrid and Bilbao and he was very good, got a very good assist in each.

Imo, and this might be a controversial statement that could turn out to be completely false, I think he has the potential to push into the world class bracket ala Salah or KDB. His technical fundamentals are so good, he's one of those players whose bodies are just in tune with the ball when he runs, and he can play some great passes too.

What he's been severely lacking in is game time. Since he broke through for us under Moyes, he's had two terrible years under Van Gaal (including a completely pointless loan to Dortmund), and a loan last season to a beyond rubbish Sunderland team that's now finished bottom of the Championship this season with a lot of the same players. Another 2-3 seasons at Sociedad where he starts week in, week out as one of the main men where he'll be able to grow his game will do him the world of good. By that time he'll still only be 25. I like that he's showing more aggression in his recent matches, he has a lot of talent and if he can get the fight to grow he could become something special.
Yeah I agree the kid has an abundance of ability but we over used him too much and he dipped. It wasn’t the greatest environment for a kid coming through as we should not have had to rely on him as our talisman when he should have had his game time picked and chosen more. To think we also had Zaha who probably will go for about £60m now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

His issue has never been natural talent. Based on that he should a top footballer without a doubt. It's his mentality, attitude, energy, application etc that he needs prove. If he soets that out, there's no stopping him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He’d do well to end up at a bojan level of success
Bojan who wasn't even a regular at Stoke, Mainz, Alaves? If that's the level Januzaj reaches then he is a failure.

As it is, he is playing regularly for Real Sociedad.

Deleted member 101472

Hasn't performed well against a team in the top half of the table to my knowledge.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Meh.. it's one thing doing that in the reserves match and some fresh pl where you're an unknown quantity.

Doing that as an established first 11 when every defender lay their eyes on you is another.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah I agree the kid has an abundance of ability but we over used him too much and he dipped. It wasn’t the greatest environment for a kid coming through as we should not have had to rely on him as our talisman when he should have had his game time picked and chosen more. To think we also had Zaha who probably will go for about £60m now.
How are we overused him? He plays a string of matches for us. No excuse of us wearing him down. Ronaldo was already a first team regular back when he's 20.

Nobody expect him to pull magic every game, but doing the basic right ala rashford is good enough, something he fails to do, probably he believes his own hype without doing the weight necessary

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
In La Liga both Griezmann and Vela were more talented when they were younger but if he keeps up like that I think he's in a good team if Real Sociedad get their shit together as they normally play good quality football, so for him it's a matter of achieving consistency.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Match against Atletico Madrid two weeks ago:

Wow, what a performance! Looks so threatening attacking-wise but he really works his ass off, which is both surprising and nice to see. The beard is a no go though

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How are we overused him? He plays a string of matches for us. No excuse of us wearing him down. Ronaldo was already a first team regular back when he's 20.

Nobody expect him to pull magic every game, but doing the basic right ala rashford is good enough, something he fails to do, probably he believes his own hype without doing the weight necessary
He was our expected talisman under Moyes at what 18 year old. Ronaldo had a team with Scholes Carrick Rio Vidic Evra Nev Giggs RVN on and on. So Ronnie didn’t need to produce week in week out. That wasn’t a great team or environment for Adnan to come through and be nurtured to be honest imo. Just my take on it. He should have had more protection but ended up for a spell being the only one who’d make a difference. That’s ridiculous at a club like United.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He was our expected talisman under Moyes at what 18 year old. Ronaldo had a team with Scholes Carrick Rio Vidic Evra Nev Giggs RVN on and on. So Ronnie didn’t need to produce week in week out. That wasn’t a great team or environment for Adnan to come through and be nurtured to be honest imo. Just my take on it. He should have had more protection but ended up for a spell being the only one who’d make a difference. That’s ridiculous at a club like United.
No he is not expected to be talisman, he had a few good debut and Moyes give him chances. That's all. You might argue he doesn't meet the expectations of United, but in no way we're dooming his career by playing him. If any it catapulted his name into global brand, he wouldn't be playing at sociedad if it weren't for that stint.

Bwuk

Always liked Adnan. I wouldn't of got rid and and would of persisted with.

He probably broke through at the wrong time. Our squad was a complete mess.

onemanarmy

He's included in the 28 names for the Belgian WC squad. 5 still need to be eliminated of course, but he might go.

flappyjay

Included ahead of Naingolan for the WC...wow
Naingolan said he would never play for martinez. As for Adnan I am impressed, I don't expect him to make the final cut though. If he continues working hard like he did this season then I expect him to become a mainstay in the squad