Adnan Januzaj - Real Sociedad player

ti vu

Arguably him depay and zaha were let go too early... all have kicked on a year this year
I don't agree. More like they are in team where the teams are built around them. Here we have players with more raw quality we try to build around and these are direct competition for Memphis, Zaha and Januzaj

In Rainbows

Januzaj would never work with Mourinho which is why I thought it was good that he left when he did. He doesn't do much defensive work which is a must for Mou.

marktan

He needs another season or two at least at Sociedad. He's one of those that could very well kick on and become great, he had a good end to the season but he needs regular game time to grow. He's not ready for a club like United right now.

I'd be very dissapointed if he doesn't become something good though. Technically he's very good and better than most players you see, he needs to add a more clinical side to his game over the next couple of years to take a step up.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Imanol Alguacil is handling him much better than Eusebio Sacristan. First of all, he seems to actually trust him and has given him a run in the team in which Adnan has done very well from, and secondly he plays him on the right where Adnan is at his best.

I never really had him down as a central player like most - I always thought he looked his best on the right. For me personally it was a shame I never got to see both him and Martial in the team together - both can beat their man out wide and cause havoc.

Wow, what a performance! Looks so threatening attacking-wise but he really works his ass off, which is both surprising and nice to see. The beard is a no go though
Can't say I've ever had a problem with his defensive work for us. He always worked hard. Same as Martial now. I feel like if they're not as obvious in their defensive duties as Alexis and Lingard they tend to go unnoticed, but they contribute(d) more than enough to our defense.
He's included in the 28 names for the Belgian WC squad. 5 still need to be eliminated of course, but he might go.
Awesome!

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don't agree. More like they are in team where the teams are built around them. Here we have players with more raw quality we try to build around and these are direct competition for Memphis, Zaha and Januzaj
It's arguable that way... and of course sitting on our bench these players may not have developed as they have... that said it's hard to image one or two of them in our squad would not have been good options at time this season... esp zaha

Luke1995

If he does get included in the final 23, he would be competing for playing time with who ? Would like to see him with a important role in the WC.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Still think he'll be over if those players that grows into a great player mid to late 20s. Got loads of ability but he needs his man strength and maturity and it will come together.
Yeah, he’s always been insanely talented. Not sure it’s about physical development so much as properly applying himself. Could definitely be a late bloomer though. If him, Depay and Zaha continue their recent rate of development it will be fecking sickening.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If he does get included in the final 23, he would be competing for playing time with who ? Would like to see him with a important role in the WC.
I don't watch Belgium but from looking at past line-ups they play back 3 so he'd be looking for a spot in the front 3. Starters would be Lukaku, Eden Hazard, and Mertens. Then he'd be competing off the bench most likely with Thorgan Hazard to coming in for Eden or maybe Mertens. With Benteke or Michy if they want more of a striker. Then there is Carrasco or Chadli but I think they almost exclusively play at wing-back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would love it if he keeps developing and returns to be a starting right winger for us. His natural talent is immense.

Wallez

It is too early to bring him back now. It looks like he is starting to find his feet in San Sebastian, and I would love to see him continue his development there. His talent is obvious, but he needs an area to get out the best of him. Manchester United is not the right place for him at the moment, but it might be in a year or two.

Luke1995

I don't watch Belgium but from looking at past line-ups they play back 3 so he'd be looking for a spot in the front 3. Starters would be Lukaku, Eden Hazard, and Mertens. Then he'd be competing off the bench most likely with Thorgan Hazard to coming in for Eden or maybe Mertens. With Benteke or Michy if they want more of a striker. Then there is Carrasco or Chadli but I think they almost exclusively play at wing-back.
That's some tough competition. I think he is a very good option to have on the bench anyway, if Eden and KDB get stopped by good man-marking they'll need someone else to unlock a packed defense.

San Diego Red

Belgium are favorites for there group, he will probably be used as a rotational player. I can see them winning both games comfortably, then they will probably make like nine changes for their final group game.
Will be interesting to see how he links up with Lukaku. Hopefully Jose see something there cause we really need to improve our right side of attack.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Let him develop another year or so, then we can decide whether we want to exercise our reduced fee buyback option.

NotQuiteManc

I think he needs to stay where he is for another season at least (same with Memphis). Let him settle and develop further in a fixed-ish position and system. Plus, La Liga is hardly a bad place to learn his trade.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Belgium are favorites for there group, he will probably be used as a rotational player. I can see them winning both games comfortably, then they will probably make like nine changes for their final group game.
Will be interesting to see how he links up with Lukaku. Hopefully Jose see something there cause we really need to improve our right side of attack.
Won't happen with playing England last game of the group and both likely wanting top spot for the supposed easier last 16 tie.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
As I have always said, I believe this kid will be world class one day. I am not sure if we can afford to take the risk of bringing him back (and Mourinho would suck the life out of him anyway) but he's a real talent.

shamans

There's a massive different between believing in his potential and people comparing him to Ronaldo and Zidane. The exuberance was completely unfounded.
By far he's one of the best talents to come from the academy since god knows when. You can't blame fans for getting excited.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
By far he's one of the best talents to come from the academy since god knows when. You can't blame fans for getting excited.
I never saw that. I saw a talented young kid who had a run of impressive performances in his first year then promptly regressed for his remaining time here.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think he could be similar to Pereira. I think Adnan could have been a young Fabregas type for us. Very smart player if used that way but I dont think he'll be a top winger personally. He's a good passer and he's got some nice movement. He has an eye for a pass, can be creative but for me a winger has to get in double figures for assists and goals and Adnan is not ready for that level. I think he can play central.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The same could currently be said of Rashford also I'd say.
You could but it wouldn't really be the same thing. Rashford as contributed each of his three years here, sinking big clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool in each of his years. Januzaj looked great during his initial stretch of fixtures and then virtually disappeared in terms of contributions.

shamans

I never saw that. I saw a talented young kid who had a run of impressive performances in his first year then promptly regressed for his remaining time here.
That young kid was the best player of the United side that season. A side that had RVP, Nani and Rooney

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
You could but it wouldn't really be the same thing. Rashford as contributed each of his three years here, sinking big clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool in each of his years. Januzaj looked great during his initial stretch of fixtures and then virtually disappeared in terms of contributions.
Oh yeah sure looking at individual performances I was more talking in terms of the drop off levels. As good as Januzajs first season for us was, it was eclipsed by Rashford in just a few months. It's expected that Rashford would never drop to the same level that Januzajs did as he started so much better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Winning us games on his own at 18 isn't just "had some impressive outings"
Nothing against Adnan, but he scored a whopping 4 goals in his debut year. RvP and Rooney had 18 and 16 respectively. The idea that Adnan was our best player all year is a perceptual illusion based on how poor were as a team under Moyes.

amolbhatia50k

Nothing against Adnan, but he scored a whopping 4 goals in his debut year. RvP and Rooney had 18 and 16 respectively. The idea that Adnan was our best player all year is a perceptual illusion based on how poor were as a team under Moyes.
While that is true (that he wasn't our best player), people have lost the ability to judge young talent from the correct perspective. Going by that (not yours) particular and pointlessly harsh perspective, United would be just like any other club and would have no history or pedigree of note when it comes to developing young players. You have to be patient with them and see them from a slightly different prism which keeps eye on their performances and potential. Which is luckily what our two greatest managers always did.

From that perspective, while Januzaj didn't put up great numbers, he had a brilliant first year at United. He didn't kick on, of course but hopefully he does eventually fulfill his immense potential. No guarantee of that happening, of course, nor of us being his desired location in case it does.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
While that is true (that he wasn't our best player), people have lost the ability to judge young talent from the correct perspective. Going by that particular and pointlessly harsh perspective, United would be just like any other club and would have no history or pedigree of note when it comes to developing young players. You have to be patient with them and see them from a slightly different prism which keeps eye on their performances and potential. Which is luckily what our two greatest managers always did.

From that perspective, while Januzaj didn't put up great numbers, he had a brilliant first year at United. He didn't kick on, of course but hopefully he does eventually fulfill his immense potential. No guarantee of that happening, of course, nor of us being his desired location in case it does.
I agree, which is why at the time I cautioned against getting too excited about Adnan after his initial string of performances. There were people here evoking CR7 and Zidane and you could tell that they were setting themselves up for a massive thud as soon as things went pair shaped. That's why its important to temper expectations and allow the player to surpass them as opposed to the other way around. I'm sure Adnan will have a decent career wherever he plays, I just don't think it will be here.

amolbhatia50k

I agree, which is why at the time I cautioned against getting too excited about Adnan after his initial string of performances. There were people here evoking CR7 and Zidane and you could tell that they were setting themselves up for a massive thud as soon as things went pair shaped. That's why its important to temper expectations and allow the player to surpass them as opposed to the other way around. I'm sure Adnan will have a decent career wherever he plays, I just don't think it will be here.
On the other hand, United wouldn't be the club it is, without that, to an extent. When Ronaldo and Rooney were showing signs of great potential, people would compare them to some other great players in the past and had seemingly unrealistic expectations. I'd rather have that than people be depressingly negative about our talents. Because the former mood/view is more likely to keep our tradition going. Of course a balance is ideal but also usually unrealistic.

rollingstoned1

Not creative? You really haven't followed him much then. His through balls and passing ooze creativity.
Read the post properly. i said not enough to be a #10, he was out on the wings when he made his breakthrough for a reason and while he did have the silks and a killer ball he lacked the consistency to really be a regular at 10. I remember a pass he played into RVP during LVGs first season away at Chelsea but that was not the norm and didn't happen often enough. There's a reason LVG said his best position might be as a striker.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

I could be wrong here, to be honest i had forgot all about him.

But didn't we sell him ? Therefore it definitely won't be here.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Encouraging that he's shown individual brilliance against Real Madrid (29.01.17), A.Madrid (19.04.18), and Barcelona (20.05.18). Under Moyes, he was good against Chelsea, but was often wrapped in cotton wool against other top sides.

What I liked most about Januzaj was his variation in passing

A move to Ac Milan would potentially do him a world of good

MUFC OK

Seeing the likes of Januzaj, Zaha and Depay all maturing and looking like they will somewhat fulfil their potential only underlines how much of a mistake selling Martial would be.

We need to learn from this, especially as we sacrificed some of the above to accommodate Martial. Don't you dare let him go, Jose.