Adrian Silva: arrives at Leicester 14 seconds too late

Needham

FIFA is exactly like English shopkeepers used to be at 5pm.

Red Devil Rising

Serves everyone involved right (except Silva, little more he could have done) Have 2 months to sort things out, tough.

Brophs

The One and Only
Agreed. But the punishment should not affect the player and it shouldn't affect this transfer.

It's 14 seconds. Just hand Leicester a 1,12,24 hour punishment at the next window.

The goal should be to educate and alter future action with a minimum amount of punishment.

If I get caught speeding 5mph over the limit a fine of £250 teaches me I was wrong. A 5 year driving ban does the same thing but is way over the top.
This isn't a punitive process. They're not 'sending a message', nor is the goal to educate or anything like it. They're enforcing a hard and fast deadline within which they accept registrations. Registration windows aren't negotiable, or open to interpretation. And the very reason they take that position is because they leave themselves open to legal actions if they don't (e.g. from a club who Leicester beat to European qualification).

Sure, it's a horrible situation for the player, but it's a deal that could have been done earlier. If he needs someone to blame, the clubs involved would be a good place to start. So the idea of arbitrarily extending the deadline or penalising them in future windows makes no sense. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. And it opens the door to, for example, other clubs doing deals after the deadline knowing that they'll be punished with a slightly reduced transfer window next time around.

Fwiw, I'm not suggesting that transfer windows are perfect, or that the rules can't lead to ridiculous situations (the rule that precludes players being registered by more than two clubs in a season is particularly absurd and, quite plainly, a restraint of trade) but, in this instance, it seems to me that people are latching on to the 14s thing because it's an insignificant amount of time. I don't really understand where you draw the line with that, though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So Leicester owns the player, have to pay his wages but can't play him till Jan. Shit luck that.

Moonwalker

Had this gone through, we wouldn't even be aware of it, much less having a discussing about it; which is why the whole Pandora's box argument is absurd.

I have a real hard time deciding if I find the righteousness in this thread more comical, or the idea of Fifa doing something strictly by the book.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Need to forget it was only 14 seconds (which sounds irrelevant) and think more of "it was past a pre-set deadline".... one that every club is aware of months in advance.

Various reasons already posted, mainly (1) next window, some club is 35 seconds (yay or nay?) then next time it's 62 seconds (yay or nay?) and (2) that guy scores a goal to give LCFC a last min winner against Brighton and Brighton end up relegated on goal difference..... cue appeal to CAS?

Yes it sounds pedantic, yes it's amazing the authorities sticking to a rule (that they'd probably flex if it was Barca), yes it's shit on the player. Agree with all that.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Did someone just change the title so that his first name is incorrect or am I imagining things?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Screw Leicester. They missed the cut-off and that's that. It's not like Fifa moved the goalposts at the last minute. Everyone knows when the deadline is.

What I don't understand though, is why he's a Leicester player now. Did the transfer go through but they didn't register him as a member of the playing squad in time?

diarm

Seems like another way for big clubs to screw little clubs to me.

For everyone who says Leicester could have secured the deal earlier if they'd managed the situation better, they probably had no intention of signing the player if Drinkwater hadn't left.

That could have been down to various reasons, from responsible management of their finances to the managers preference for squad size and options.

Then Chelsea come in late and the player wants to go. They accept an offer of his worth with minutes left to go and then pull the trigger on the replacement.

It's entirely feasible that they did everything as quickly as they possibly could have once Chelsea had signed Drinkwater but still fell 14 seconds short. That seems totally unfair on a small club who were left in a no win situation - either refuse the late deal and be stuck with a sulky player with a turned head, or approve the transfer and risk weakening your squad because of some arbitrary deadline you're now up against through no fault of your own.

That's before we even mention the player who is now going to waste 6 months of his playing career.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
No. It's not. When were you last held accountable to 14 seconds?

The Germans say that on time is on punctual. Early is as bad as late. Do you hold yourself to that standard to a degree of seconds?
Last time I did a story and had to deliver it to my editor.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Just let him play, I highly doubt the consequences will be dire.

RedCurry

They couldn't finish this transfer a day earlier? I don't blame FIFA at all.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I keep thinking of the guy charged with sending off the email to FIFA to register the player. Him casting an eye on the clock, furiously typing away. To think correcting one misspelled word could have been the difference in finalising the transfer. Would love to have seen his eyes looking across the room when he realised it was 14 seconds past the deadline. "Im sure it will be fine :nervous:"

iKnowNothing

I don't think Leicester should be allowed to register him until January. If permitted for whatever reason, it sets a precedent for clubs in future.

Moonred

If he's already a Leicester player, just let him play. Fine the club as well if you want. Makes zero sense to make a player waste 4 months without kicking a ball.

Gasolin

If he's already a Leicester player, just let him play. Fine the club as well if you want. Makes zero sense to make a player waste 4 months without kicking a ball.
But then deadlines are really meaningless...

Moonred

But then deadlines are really meaningless...
What's more meaningless is having a player sign and not able to play. Should make the transfer void if they are absolutely hellbent on the deadline then. One can make an exception under rarest occurrences. It's hardly something clubs can knowingly take an advantage of. The mass hysteria about how one should suffer being 14 seconds late is also rather amusing.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's not like the deadline has been broken before, was it Jermaine Defoe who signed on loan at Pompey but was unveiled as a full signing the day later?
Maybe I'm wrong though!
In instances like that, I'm sure the clubs have submitted all the documentation on time and just need to finalise the finer details, or been given special dispensation for one reason or another. Like Arshavin's deal to Arsenal, which was held up by the weather.

In this case though, Leicester didn't submit the proper documentation in time.

I'm still confused about who owns his registration now. If it's Sporting, he can surely still play for them and sign for Leicester in January. If it's Leicester, can't they loan him out until January?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
haven't read the entire thread but apparently we emailed them in time and an IT delay meant they got it late, if so, we appeal and show then the proof they then say he can be registered and play, but knowing FIFA the appeal will be held in March anyway

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Agreed. Without deadline day, the transfer muppets would die. :lol:

But in all seriousness, if they weren't confident of completing the deal in time, they simply shouldn't have sold Drinkwater, ala Wenger with Sanchez/Lemar.

But 14 seconds is a bit ridiculous.
And refuse 35 mil for Drinkwater? No sane man would do that. The risk was worth it, the way I see it.

Adrien Silva is the one to feel sorry for here.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Rules are rules. You can't break them and expect the authorities to be okay with that
Yes! Never use brain or common sense, just apply the rules EXACTLY as they are and let them suffer. People who are late should IMO be killed and there is no difference what they are late for and by how much.