Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

Guys, De Jong is a playmaker, Rabiot a play breaker. Rabiot will suck ever sense of life out of your midfield. One of the most underwhelming midfielders I’ve seen wearing our jersey. Ramsey and Rabiot were incredible misbuys, but at least Ramsey was always injured. Unfortunately Rabiot doesn’t get injured a lot.

Cant shoot, pass, dribble, even though his height he’s a pussy. He had on average a good month per year, where he gives the idea of being a decent midfielder, but afterwards reality will slap you in the face and you’ll realize once again how bad he is.

He’s okay at marking I’ll give him that, but certainly it ain’t enough to compensate the rest.

This French croissant with stellar wages and his demanding mother is a guarantee for a very frustrating time.
Another Juve fan confirming what most people who watch him already knew. There is no way of spinning this transfer into a positive for us.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
People actually believe we only made this bid after last nights game, as if this wasn't planned? Seriously?
Potentially, yes

I am sure he might have been one of the names they said were being kept warm. But I believe bid happened after the game along with de Jong far more unlilely now

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is that your way of saying it was a panic buy? That was my initial point. You called it a ''dumbass'' move, whatever that means, but it's the same fecking nonsense every year and to see Liverpool and City - our arch rivals - doing business early and dominating the league, when our club is run like absolute shit is sad to see.

Rant over!
No, it's my way to say that we both agree on the idea that the timing is bad. I don't think that it's a panic buy because I think that it was planned and has nothing to do with yesterday's game.

Abraxas

Simply watching a youtube video of Rabiot tells the quality difference to McTominay. Don't let the stats fool you.
Yes but the stats should actually back up the player being good, not just going off this "eye test" hullabaloo which is often a cover for whatever biases or random opinion the viewer has. You find a player, scout him, of course that's key and then stats should be a indicator. Or in reverse, the stats say this is a player to watch.

I've yet to see a Liverpool, City midfielder with appalling metrics. It just doesn't happen. One, because their sides are dominant. And two because they're bloody good players. But how do you get to being a dominant side? Well..you sign bloody good players to begin with or those with the potential to be, that show stand out metrics. You don't sign those that appear hapless and then expect them to show something else.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
People actually believe we only made this bid after last nights game, as if this wasn't planned? Seriously?
Seems like we could of got this done well before the game. So of there was a plan and he was in it, why now after the season started?

RORY65

Not a great player but sure as hell better than the two jokers we currently employ in midfield.
That shouldn't be the standard, just handing more big, long-term contracts to 2nd rate players because they're slightly better than what we have.

Walters_19_MuFc

No, it's my way to say that we both agree on the idea that the timing is bad. I don't think that it's a panic buy because I think that it was planned and has nothing to do with yesterday's game.
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Anyway, what do actually think of Rabiot as a player? Would he suit the single pivot role that ten Hag has been playing Fred in - both on and off the ball?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes but the stats should actually back up the player being good, not just going off this "eye test" hullabaloo which is often a cover for whatever biases or random opinion the viewer has. You find a player, scout him, of course that's key and then stats should be a indicator. Or in reverse, the stats say this is a player to watch.

I've yet to see a Liverpool, City midfielder with appalling metrics. It just doesn't happen. One, because their sides are dominant. And two because they're bloody good players. But how do you get to being a dominant side? Well..you sign bloody good players to begin with or those with the potential to be, that show stand out metrics. You don't sign those that appear hapless and then expect them to show something else.
That point is interesting because people are sharing his worst season's stat as an indication of what the player is overall, they even try to extrapolate them to previous seasons that had far different passing stats.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No, I'm sure we had this all properly planned months back.
And it just happens to have come out the day after a horrific loss.

Offsideagain

Shopping at Aldi again instead of Harrods but let’s give the lad a chance inthe vain hope he will actually improve the team. Let’s face it, it couldn’t be worse. I just worry about red cards for this bloke and Martinez doesn’t take any prisoners so the crafty players out there, the Grealish and Sterling’s of this world will be falling over big time when they play us.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Have we decided to become a Championship club? Is that our plan to avoid being pumped by City, Liverpool and Brighton every year?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Some analytics folk on twitter seem to like him as a DM if we only look at on the pitch things. So i guess that's something. The little I've seen of him, think he's nowhere near good enough, but hey, any bit of optimism from some analytics guys is at least a plus.

15m seems way too much though.
I’m pretty sure one of the big reasons he left PSG was because he didn’t want to play as DM. Apparently he sees himself as box to box.

Johan77

Seems like we could of got this done well before the game. So of there was a plan and he was in it, why now after the season started?
Because we haven't been interested in, monitered, thought of a bid, considered a bid, discussed a bid or sent our 3 musketeers earlier :lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Partially true . Liverpool captain Henderson was going to be sold and one of the most hated players at the club before Klopp turned it around for him. Good systems bring out the best of players

Teja

That point is interesting because people are sharing his worst season's stat as an indication of what the player is overall, they even try to extrapolate them to previous seasons that had far different passing stats.
Any idea why he was so poor for Juve last year? The season before that his stats are normal.

https://fbref.com/en/players/8794e251/scout/11222/Adrien-Rabiot-Scouting-Report

vs

https://fbref.com/en/players/8794e251/scout/10730/Adrien-Rabiot-Scouting-Report

vs

PSG years where he was straight up good:

https://fbref.com/en/players/8794e251/scout/2104/Adrien-Rabiot-Scouting-Report

Mmm-Qatarian

I'm not at all knowledgeable about Rabiot but I will say it's completely mundane to simply look at Rabiot's FBREF profile, notice that the numbers aren't as high as McTominay's, and conclude that he's not worth signing as he's not even an upgrade on what we currently have.

What I'd be curious to learn is how good Rabiot is at things that were lacking with Fred and McTominay yesterday. How does he restrict his opponent's options? How does he handle playing on the half turn? Is he capable of playing a pass quickly or does he frequently require multiple touches before releasing the ball?

The above are all qualities that Fred and McTominay failed to provide yesterday and they are essential to a midfield looking to successfully implement Ten Hag's playing style. I don't know that Rabiot provides them but they're not something you can discover just by looking at a player's FBREF page.

fergosaurus

How toxic is his mum/agent really? Is it exaggerated by the media or is she going to be piping up every so often causing problems? The last thing we need is more toxicity and drama, especially when the player isn't great enough to warrant putting up with it.

Rocknrolla69er

He actually his a DM however he wants to play and recently has played as a B2B. If he is the alternative to FDJ then I presume its under the assumption he'll play as a 6. I would personally play him in front of the defence and Fred further up the pitch alongside Eriksen.

Also to those comparing the statistics with McMayonaise, Juve played a very negative system so the statistics are skewed. Its not entirely fair to compare them as like for like.

I have seen him several times without seeing him standing out, but I have a few questions for @JPRouve :

1. Is he technically gifted?
2. How is he at receiving the ball on the turn?
3. Can he pass through the lines better than either one of Mcfred?
4. Can he beat a player and drive the ball forward at all?

In fact, anyone whose seen him at PSG in particular, where the team looked to attack and initially had him as a DM would be greatly appreciated in answering these questions.
Only me who thinks he's here as an upgrade on Mctominay?

Fred will drop out to Eriksen in a deep role and then hopefully De Jong

SER19

Have to say, I didn't think he'd been such a permanent fixture in Juve side, as well as 18 appearances for france over the past 2 years. Decent age, good injury record, an upgrade on mctominay - this could be an astute signing - but desperately needs to be 1 of 2 midfielders or it won't change much.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Anyway, what do actually think of Rabiot as a player? Would he suit the single pivot role that ten Hag has been playing Fred in - both on and off the ball?
No he does not. He even complained at PSG when Emery wanted to play him in that position, hence why we ended up with Lo Celso as a DM against Real Madrid. He's also totally average under pressure.

croadyman

Why not get Icardi and then we have the two troublesome women and a cf with racism issues

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Some analytics folk on twitter seem to like him as a DM if we only look at on the pitch things. So i guess that's something. The little I've seen of him, think he's nowhere near good enough, but hey, any bit of optimism from some analytics guys is at least a plus.

15m seems way too much though.
ETH to Rabiot - "I like you, but as a Fred"

redcucumber

So Juve fans don't like him, PSG fans don't like him. What evidence is there to suggest he'll suddenly make the significant step up to English football?

Dempsey19

I'd take Smudge back or even Djemba X 2 rather than seeing McTominay play again.

So I'm welcoming Rabiot.

Juventino10

Supports
Juve
Another Juve fan confirming what most people who watch him already knew. There is no way of spinning this transfer into a positive for us.
I wish that I could bring it brighter, but he has been the negative note on our midfield in the past two years. His first year was okayish, but he missed a big part of it and started playing during the strange covid era. His fitness levels probably were better than most of his opponents

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Reading through @JPRouve 's opinions on him at least has eased my concerns a bit. Decent all round DM who is good as a DM and would give us a lot more solidity in midfield and have us lose the ball less frequently. Why not then.

Midfield of Eriksen, Rabiot and Fred, would it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.