Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Playing Rabiot as a holding midfielder :lol:

If we'd replaced Fred with FDJ (or any of the other half a dozen great options) and then replaced McTominay with Rabiot to play further forward with Eriksen, I wouldn't have a problem.

But my fecking word what a clownshow we are.
That's by some distance his best role, he was groomed to be Thiago Motta's replacement and was excellent. It's the box to box part that is underwhelming.

Redcy

He does, frankly his development has been very disappointing, his raw abilities should have led to a better footballer.
Has talent? When has he ever shown it? Massively hyped as a young player, literally never shown anything of it.

panic mr mannering

JPRouve

Scout
Has talent? When has he ever shown it? Massively hyped as a young player, literally never shown anything of it.

panic mr mannering
With PSG for years.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We were told there was no Plan B to de Jong and within one day of playing McFred a target was identified.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
we do need numbers in midfield, but if Rabiot is touted as an alternative to FDJ its just laughable. Frankly i think the media have no clue and are just firing off names that are available and may also have been briefed by agents that are trying to move players. Rabiot might be and certainly i know Dumfries is from the 'Raiola' stable so this could all be media /agent nonsense.

witchtrials

Another clownish move if true.

Is it that difficult for a club of our stature to sign a player on their way up or at their peak instead of on their way down?

cyberman

His attitude is terrible and it shows on the pitch. When he gives a feck he is quite good, problem is he hardly ever does. We should stay well clear.
This is nonsense. He’s a high intensity, hard working player who teams such as Juve and France regularly play for a reason.

Abraxas

Christ, people saying "he's better than McTominay so how can we refuse" don't half miss the point.

It's about setting good habits, and realising we aren't going to get to the top overnight. So what do you need to develop a team? You need hungry players, open to improvement.They should be better than what you have, yes, but also hopefully with some ability to grow. If they do not, then you can hopefully move them on when they are surplus to requirements.

What we're doing here is repeating the same old mistakes. Buying players from huge clubs that are not uptrending. Buying players on huge wages, especially ones that are not the best players around. Buying players with notable personality issues when we already have a team lacking togetherness and fight. Buying players at the last minute instead of having a profile in mind, and a list of targets that address it. This is just a random stopgap signing that we've been aware of for about 5 years, there is no precision.

The only favour we'd be doing is to Juventus. Why do we think they'd be happy seeing the back of a guy that isn't even that old for a minor fee? They don't think he offers them value for money paid. How can we keep advocating these types of signings and making the same damn mistakes over and over, and yet fans do it just because it's not McTominay on a team sheet. The club need to start acting with principles.

Loony BoB

I didn't watch the lad, is he really THAT bad? Surely he would be upgrade on Fred and McT?
Just looked up the stats comparing Fred, McTominay, De Jong and Rabiot. Fred and de Jong were not surprisingly generally better across the board. The Rabiot and McTominay comparison was particularly telling.

In a worse, slower league, Rabiot, per 90 minutes:

THE GOOD
- Conceded fewer fouls from tackles (notthatshocked.gif)
- Had a better ground duel success rate
- Had fewer yellow cards
- Had the same number of red cards (0)
- Attempted more crosses
- Tackled ever so slightly more often (2.6 vs 2.5 for McT)

THE BAD
- Created the same number of chances
- Had the same number of assists
- Had the same number of blocks

THE UGLY
- Made fewer touches
- Scored fewer goals
- Attempted fewer passes
- Had worse pass accuracy
- Had worse long pass accuracy
- Had worse cross accuracy
- Attempted fewer (0) through balls
- Contested fewer aerial duels
- Had worse aerial duel success rate
- Contested fewer ground duels
- Made fewer clearances
- Made fewer interceptions

Based on these stats which cover the entirity of last season, Rabiot is a worse player than McTominay.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is nonsense. He’s a high intensity, hard working player who teams such as Juve and France regularly play for a reason.
The Juventus forum I looked on seemed to agree with @Lyng, complaining that Rabiot is lazy and uninterested for large swathes of games.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ffs - Arnautovic, Rabiot. Can't believe our transfers.

Would take Aouar if they want a cheap option . Just stick with Iqbal than signing these stop gaps.

Dazzmondo

Anyone turning their nose up at this after watching those 2 clowns in midfield yesterday, needs their heads checked. I dont care what 'baggage' he is/has.... He walks into our team and improves it
He really doesn't. I'm not convinced he's a better player than Fred. He probably suits a more defensive midfield role than Fred but he's very poor on the ball which is an area where Fred is already limited (yet I'd still say Fred's better on the ball than Rabiot). He's better than McTominay yes, but so are many other midfielders. Serie A would be a good league to target for midfielders. Someone in another thread mentioned Bennacer as a potential alternative to FDJ and I think that's a really good shout. Despite having CL football Milan can't offer comparable wages to what we can. Fabian Ruiz was the player I wanted us to go for but he's gone to PSG now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
@Cassidy

If I remember correctly we talked about the timing of signing De Jong a few days ago and had a difference of opinion. This type of dealings is where I agree with your stand, Rabiot and a back up strikers aren't the kind of deals that United should be doing at this time of the window, Rabiot's contractual situation means that Juventus want him out or extended as soon as possible and if he was a target he should have been signed a while ago. And if previous reports are correct he has been a target since May or early June.
Yeah pretty much agree with this, I don't think the club had any intention of doing this deal though if I'm being honest and are now scrambling a bit. Maybe that's a sign they now don't believe De Jong will happen.
I hope not though, I hope its Rabiot plus De Jong

JPRouve

Scout
He really doesn't. I'm not convinced he's a better player than Fred. He probably suits a more defensive midfield role than Fred but he's very poor on the ball which is an area where Fred is already limited (yet I'd still say Fred's better on the ball than Rabiot). He's better than McTominay yes, but so are many other midfielders. Serie A would be a good league to target for midfielders. Someone in another thread mentioned Bennacer as a potential alternative to FDJ and I think that's a really good shout. Despite having CL football Milan can't offer comparable wages to what we can. Fabian Ruiz was the player I wanted us to go for but he's gone to PSG now.
Rabiot is not very poor on the ball. It's so obvious that many of you have no clue about the player.

Remember the geese

I already shared it, he is a decent player. A jack of all trades, master of none. You can use him in multitude of roles and he will do a decent job but rarely make you think that he is great. He also rarely turns into a shit performer, it happens but it's not common.
Sorry, I missed your original post. Pretty much what I suspected. A decent squad player, but no more than that really. Thanks.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
€15m for him or spend another €15m and get Fabian Ruiz. Christ I’m at my wits end with this fecking club. No plan whatsoever for the future. It’s always stop gaps. feck this club.

Cassidy

€15m for him or spend another €15m and get Fabian Ruiz. Christ I’m at my wits end with this fecking club. No plan whatsoever for the future. It’s always stop gaps. feck this club.
Fabian Ruiz is not a defensive midfielder, and is joining PSG (we were reportedly in for him)

Dazzmondo

He looks comfortable on the ball and can carry it, which is what we desperately lack in midfield. I'm on board.
Interesting, I personally think the exact opposite. I think he's decent defensively but not very good when in possession

cyberman

The Juventus forum I looked on seemed to agree with @Lyng, complaining that Rabiot is lazy and uninterested for large swathes of games.
I’m reading Juve forum posts and the majority Im reading is how good and hard working he is defensively

Quotes

From a stats perspective, he has the profile of a box-to-box. He is 75th percentile for pressures amongst mids in top 5 leagues in Europe, 78th percentile for carrying the ball into the box among mids, 94th percentile for winning headers, 74th percentile for tackles and 78th percentile for goals amongst mids. Does he FEEL like a great player? Nope. But he is a good balance player.

This is my favourite post

I genuinely detest his presence at the club, but I'm going to try to be objective.

He runs a lot, I'll give him that. He's athletic and he does a lot of covering of space. If you watch any footage of a Juve counter attack, he's right there on the defensive end, and then again on the offensive end. Whether he has any involvement in either is a matter for debate, but the man moves.

Natener

Ooh, I wouldn't mind this transfer. Imagine him playing and the oppo fans are laying into him being mama's boy, then the camera pans towards his mom and she's on her feet flipping off at the oppo fans. Would be funny as shite, and makes watching our dross on the pitch a little less painful.

Shinjch

He would be an upgrade on our current midfield pair (not saying much), but it really does make our recruitment department look like a total mess.

Cassidy

Just looked up the stats comparing Fred, McTominay, De Jong and Rabiot. Fred and de Jong were not surprisingly generally better across the board. The Rabiot and McTominay comparison was particularly telling.

THE GOOD
- Had fewer yellow cards
- Attempted more crosses

THE BAD

THE UGLY
- Made fewer touches
- Scored fewer goals
- Attempted fewer passes
- Made fewer clearances

Based on these stats which cover the entirity of last season, Rabiot is a worse player than McTominay.
:lol:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Fabian Ruiz is not a defensive midfielder, and is joining PSG (we were reportedly in for him)
Rabiot is not the answer to the #6 position. And it’s us. We will give him a 5 year contract and he will be here till he retires.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

THE GOOD
- Had fewer yellow cards
- Attempted more crosses

THE BAD

THE UGLY
- Made fewer touches
- Scored fewer goals
- Attempted fewer passes
- Made fewer clearances

Tbf his previous season's stats look better.

flappyjay

With proper planning we could have gotten him earlier in the window though. Him and Laimer or Kamara were cheap enough that we could have signed them and still chased de Jong all summer. But we just had to get another CB I guess.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Rabiot is not very poor on the ball. It's so obvious that many of you have no clue about the player.
You are talking about folks 24hrs ago saying that -- its embarrassing that United has no Plan B. Then a few hours later, we need to pay whatever it takes to get FdJ.

Then another few hours later: we need to sign 3-4 players ASAP. Clown show!

Then a few more hours later: Him? WTF!!! We are a joke of a club for wanting him! Embarrassing.

Loony BoB

He would be an upgrade on our current midfield pair (not saying much), but it really does make our recruitment department look like a total mess.
Based on literally everything I'm looking at, he would absolutely not be an upgrade. He has worse stats in a worse league adapted to slower play.

JPRouve

Scout
Ruiz is laborious on the ball, he is a pretty good passer and moves relatively well for his size but with the ball at his feet, he is questionable. Rabiot is the opposite, he is comfortable with the ball and moves very well for his size, he is larger than Ruiz but is passing in the past 18 months has been timid, way too many hesitation and side passes. And Rabiot is a far better defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.