Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

It's based on the role that Fred played, me watching De Jong with Ajax. But also on something that ETH said about De Jong's role for him, he said that he criticized De Jong for wanting to go too far up, that he wasn't a 10 or a box to box. He also described him as a supplier for his teammates, that supplies the players making the assists. Now if you look at how we have played up until now McTominay has been given license to roam high when Fred hasn't, Fred has been our main passing outlet while McTominay hasn't, McTominay is the one acting as a box to box not Fred.
With Ajax though De Jong had a much more liberal role, he dropped into the back 3 sometimes, he did get advanced but VDB was the one who would have been in the 10 space. De Jong would also would never be a B2B given he had many more responsibilities offensively than Schone. You can take your points about ETH’s criticism & being a supplier and it doesn’t have to equal either a B2B or 10.

I feel like everyone just jumped on the ‘connector’ phrase and assumed it was De Jong’s role even though ETH’s never actually said that and when you think about it it seems unlikely. He made a point about developing a player in De Jong’s role in a so estate interview but it was non related to Fred.

Eriksen is the only one technically good enough for the role but he’s not evasive enough, I think that’s why he’s been apparently so impressed with Iqbal because he’s raw but extremely good on the ball under pressure, slippery as a jellied eel and can carry it forward/link well with attacking players. Whether he trusts him in the PL though is another matter.

Alemar

Mbappe is on around £1m/week. Maybe if you spread the signing bonus out over the life of the contract, it’s around £1.5m/week or £800k/week after tax, but he’s not earning that much just on his salary.
Well, there is no big difference - there are very many people who earn 1k/week and even lower than that

NZT-One

With Ajax though De Jong had a much more liberal role, he dropped into the back 3 sometimes, he did get advanced but VDB was the one who would have been in the 10 space. De Jong would also would never be a B2B given he had many more responsibilities offensively than Schone. You can take your points about ETH’s criticism & being a supplier and it doesn’t have to equal either a B2B or 10.

I feel like everyone just jumped on the ‘connector’ phrase and assumed it was De Jong’s role even though ETH’s never actually said that and when you think about it it seems unlikely. He made a point about developing a player in De Jong’s role in a so estate interview but it was non related to Fred.

Eriksen is the only one technically good enough for the role but he’s not evasive enough, I think that’s why he’s been apparently so impressed with Iqbal because he’s raw but extremely good on the ball under pressure, slippery as a jellied eel and can carry it forward/link well with attacking players. Whether he trusts him in the PL though is another matter.
To both of you @tomaldinho1 and @JPRouve : Do you think ETH wants to replicate his Ajax team from back then? I know about the Schone - De Jong - VDB connection, but don't you think, that this will be way too lightweight in the PL? I mean, how is this supposed to work?

Alemar

Actually I think the difference is roughly 50% or half a million a week. That would fund the salaries of 500 of those people you mentioned (though not sure what point you’re trying to make there). Seems like a big difference.
I was implying that Mbappe’s salary is absurdly high by any merit

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To both of you @tomaldinho1 and @JPRouve : Do you think ETH wants to replicate his Ajax team from back then? I know about the Schone - De Jong - VDB connection, but don't you think, that this will be way too lightweight in the PL? I mean, how is this supposed to work?
I don't what he exactly intends to do, it seems that he is using it as an inspiration but it may not be set in stone. And no I don't think that it's too lightweight, the issue is with finding players that have technical and tactical abilities to do it, otherwise you just have to look at Chelsea to see a midfield that is far from heavyweight.

tomaldinho1

I think similar system but not same players, besides anything else Schone is 36! :lol:

Alemar

Rabiot - de Jong - Bruno may be not the worst of all midfields, with Fred, Eriksen and hopefully Iqbal on the bench as substitute options.

We would also be able to dispose of McTominay, VDB and perhaps one of Garner / Savage to recoup money

dutchred

Rabiot - de Jong - Bruno may be not the worst of all midfields, with Fred, Eriksen and hopefully Iqbal on the bench as substitute options.

We would also be able to dispose of McTominay, VDB and perhaps one of Garner / Savage to recoup money
I don't think Bruno will fit with Erik's template. I think de Jong, Fred and Eriksen might work with Garner, Iqbal and vd Beek as back ups

Alemar

I don't think Bruno will fit with Erik's template. I think de Jong, Fred and Eriksen might work with Garner, Iqbal and vd Beek as back ups
And if Rabiot comes alongside de Jong, then how you see it?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That’s a weird way of structuring a sentence. Like if Yoda was ITK.

dutchred

And if Rabiot comes alongside de Jong, then how you see it?
I'm not sure we'll go after Rabiot if we get Frenkie, but if we get both I can see us playing 2 from Rabiot, Eriksen, Fred, Vd Beek. There are lots of games and different situations so they should all get enough games.
Also watching the style of play Iqbal looks a natural back up to Frenkie

dubplate warrior

Would be curious who people so against this transfer would like us to buy in his place given we need 2 midfielders and a forward.

NZT-One

I don't what he exactly intends to do, it seems that he is using it as an inspiration but it may not be set in stone. And no I don't think that it's too lightweight, the issue is with finding players that have technical and tactical abilities to do it, otherwise you just have to look at Chelsea to see a midfield that is far from heavyweight.
Yeah I know where you are coming from. Chelsea is probably the only example in the league, thing is, they have Kante available in case it is needed and, even more important, they do play a 3atb system, which changes the need of a DM to a degree because usually one of the CBs is allowed to step up and occupy the spaces you'd expect a DM to play in.

I am a bit worried. I mean, we are all talking about FDJ and his qualities. And he has obvious strength in terms of ball progression. But Pogba was also very good in that department. But that alone wasn't the thing. Same with Matic, who was also more than decent with the ball, even pretty good with positioning but still lacked dynamism heavily.

I think similar system but not same players, besides anything else Schone is 36! :lol:
^^ yeah I know, didn't mean replicate with the same personnel. Just in the sense with Schone not being a tradition DM when played next to FDJ.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nice to see a lot of you have faith in McTominay :nervous:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Is hilarious how we seem incapable of conducting transfers with any kind of swiftness.

BuzzKillington

Savic, Fabian Ruiz and reluctantly even Tielemans.
Ruiz is going to PSG. So you can forget about that, no way is he picking 2022 vintage United over them.

I’d seriously take Herrera back for a season on loan and see who we can get next summer rather than panic buy Rabiot.

Save the cash for Bellingham and spend the season getting him tapped up ready to come next summer.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Ruiz is going to PSG. So you can forget about that, no way is he picking 2022 vintage United over them.

I’d seriously take Herrera back for a season on loan and see who we can get next summer rather than panic buy Rabiot.

Save the cash for Bellingham and spend the season getting him tapped up ready to come next summer.
Yes because Bellingham is desperate to come to United. I think he is going to Pool next summer. We don’t have the pull the other big clubs have. We can’t rebuild the entire midfield in one summer. It takes time. We need a replacement in this summer and maybe 2 next summer.

RuudTom83

I’m hoping the hold up is down to United refusing to give him silly wages.

United (mostly by contracts ending rather than any great planning on the boards part) have managed to get the inflated wages under control in the squad. Especially with the 25% reductions.

It would be a shame to break that with silly panic buys at the end of the window.

Offer him a 2 year +1 contact on about (edit) 100-150k…take it or leave it.

*I’d much rather watch Iqbal tbh

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

United (mostly by contracts ending rather than any great planning on the boards part) have managed to get the inflated wages under control in the squad. Especially with the 25% reductions.

It would be a shame to break that with silly panic buys at the end of the window.

Offer him a 2 year +1 contact on about 175-200k…take it or leave it.

How isn’t offering 175-200k not silly? Especially for Rabiot?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Offer him a 2 year +1 contact on about 175-200k…take it or leave it.

no other club would be stupid enough to pay this guy anything like 175k. Juve might be doing it because they got him on a free but no one else will be paying a fee for this guy and then those silly wages.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nice to see a lot of you have faith in McTominay :nervous:
The same player who had better metrics in every single criteria than Rabiot last season? Hahahaha.

We don't want another Mctominay. That's the problem.

SirScholes

The same player who had better metrics in every single criteria than Rabiot last season? Hahahaha.

We don't want another Mctominay. That's the problem.
Yet the seasons before he dicked over him?
he’s an upgrade on Mctom, cry over last years stats as much you want they don’t paint the whole picture

Status
Not open for further replies.