AFC Asian cup 2019

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Are all the Qatar emerging players all from there? I remember a spell a few years ago when they were giving passports to Brazil and Uruguay players playing in their league so was getting the impression they'd try to pull that trick for 2022 WC.
Yeah they’re all local based players now. The youth sides aren’t great on the whole for them but generally 1/2 talents at each level. One of their youth gens is reasonably okay, can’t remember if it’s the u17s or U19s as I’m very tired.

When the World Cup was given to them I was completely convinced they’d be the worst hosts ever but with progress in recent years + the heat (and maybe good crowds, big league games get horrendous crowds) they can easily do as well as Russia.

RochaRoja

why would he do that?
Spurs and the KFA came to an agreement that Son could skip the first two group matches if he was released for the Asian Games in the Autumn.

They have the Philippines and Kyrgyzstan in the first two matches so probably aren’t going to need him.

Giggsyking

Iraq made the semis 2 times in the last three competitions and won it once. Hope really another final this year.

CallyRed

Spurs and the KFA came to an agreement that Son could skip the first two group matches if he was released for the Asian Games in the Autumn.

They have the Philippines and Kyrgyzstan in the first two matches so probably aren’t going to need him.
That's unlike Spurs to come to agreements with National Football Associations

Darkhorsez

Iran should at least make the semis. This is a quite strong generation and CQ is the best manager in Asia.
Unfortunately Ezzatolahi is injured, but the squad the depth is alright.
Also hoping to have Jahanbakhsh in the squad too. He is an important player for us.

edcunited1878

Pretty crappy that Etheridge has agreed not to play for the Philippines in the first major tournament in the nation’s history.

It’s not like it’s going to make much difference for his club career by staying. He’s done enough to get a Premier League move if Cardiff go down anyway.
Not cool at all. Sure, PI will not advance out of the group stage, but damn this makes you look like you're taking the qualification for a major tournament for granted.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
Any Vietnamese posters here? I’ve heard they’ve got a good young side coming through and are predicted to be the next big thing in Asian football.

Would be great if true. Maybe we could even see a South East Asian nation make it to the expanded WC.
I'm not based in Vietnam but certainly have a lot of love for the country and take an interest in their national side, they've hired Philippe Troussier to help oversee football operations with a hope of qualification for the 2026 world cup.

Member 115509

A few posts on here regarding TV coverage, I just assumed it would be on Eurosport in the UK, but none of the games are listed in the schedules on the Sky planner, so it it must just be continental Europe.
On the Wikipedia page for the tournament, it says the games are being covered by BBC in the UK, but I can't find any details on the BBC Sport website, so I'm not sure if it is via the red button, iPlayer streaming or simply online text commentary.

Giggsyking

A few posts on here regarding TV coverage, I just assumed it would be on Eurosport in the UK, but none of the games are listed in the schedules on the Sky planner, so it it must just be continental Europe.
On the Wikipedia page for the tournament, it says the games are being covered by BBC in the UK, but I can't find any details on the BBC Sport website, so I'm not sure if it is via the red button, iPlayer streaming or simply online text commentary.
bbc stream free

Hanks

What an absolute joke of a penalty awarded to UAE in the opening match. Ref bailed them out just at the death.

That's why it's hard to get excited about Asian football. The corruption is just off the charts...I'm expecting a lot more of these baffling decisions over the next four weeks. The ref was looking the other way and only blew his whistle after a couple of Emirati players yelled at him.

FT: UAE 1-1 Bahrain

NYAS

What an absolute joke of a penalty awarded to UAE in the opening match. Ref bailed them out just at the death.

That's why it's hard to get excited about Asian football. The corruption is just off the charts...I'm expecting a lot more of these baffling decisions over the next four weeks. The ref was looking the other way and only blew his whistle after a couple of Emirati players yelled at him.

FT: UAE 1-1 Bahrain
:lol: Calm down. It wasn’t a penalty but your leap from “wrong decision” to “corruption” is a bit extreme.

NYAS

Jordan have actually done it :lol:

It’s never too late for you Aussies to go back to O.F.C and play Fiji and the Cook Islands...:wenger:

Leave Asia for us Asians :cool:

JezChan

"Graham Arnold's brave Socceroos suffered an unlucky 1-0 defeat in their Asian Cup defence, putting up a fighting performance against minnows Jordan." - all Australian news media tomorrow.

The nation of Australia needs to face the truth: we aspire towards mediocrity, our grassroots systems are not working, and we simply do not have the quality to play attacking, possession-based football. Absolutely pedestrian performance today, lacking in any creativity or intelligence.

Well done, Jordan - great dogged defending and execution of the game plan to a T.

Giggsyking

Syria is not easy, Aussies will face difficulties in going to the next round.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
Strewth!

I'm looking forward to India vs Thailand. Two of my fondest holiday destinations.

Mick321

2 quick goals, dreamland for the 500 people in attendance.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm very excited about this now that it's begun! Can't wait for our first game against Qatar who are heavy favourites. Hoping we can put in a good performance and I hope a lot of people go support the NT (about 200k Lebanese people live on the UAE).
I think our aim should be to qualify as a best 3rd team and hopefully a couple of our players will get scouted and signed by decent teams.

MDFC Manager

1-1 at the break. We aren't any good and the Thais will beat us eventually.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
India don't look like they have the physicality or the technique to compete with the big boys. Lucky penalty and then it has been Thailand all the way.

1-1 at HT. It'll be brilliant if we can hold on to a draw.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brilliant half this, every player playing with a desire to win back the ball as soon as we lose it. We probably didn't deserve to go into HT level, but over the game so far, we've easily been the better side.
And our 3rd goal by Anirudh by so fecking cool :drool: