AFCON 2023 / 2024

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Can VAR rescind a red card if it’s the result of two yellows? It’s what the commentators initially claimed was happening.

Supports
Barcelona
Last 8 still and none of Senegal, Morocco, Egypt, Cameroon, Algeria will be there. I might add Ghana and Tunisia as well!

el3mel

What a tournament that has been. Probably the best I have witnessed. Anyone can beat anyone. No small or weak team. No guaranteed win.

African football has improved drastically. This is a new era for most teams..

the_cliff

Last 8 still and none of Senegal, Morocco, Egypt, Cameroon, Algeria will be there. I might add Ghana and Tunisia as well!
The last 8 of this tournament are all completely different from the last 8 of the previous tournament. Must be some sort of International tournament record !

Supports
Barcelona
So who are the favourite now?
Ivory Coast,Nigeria or Mali?
The big names remaining are Nigeria and Ivory Coast. I might add South Africa as well.

But this has been anything but a big name tournament. Some of the supposedly smaller teams are playing brilliantly. There's a level of maturity in this AFCON I've never seen before.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ivory Coast by the bookies but they've hardly been impressive
I think they're taking the home advantage into consideration. That didn't do shit for them against Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea so we'll see.

I can't select a favorite. This is an evenly matched tournament now.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think they're taking the home advantage into consideration. That didn't do shit for them against Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea so we'll see.

I can't select a favorite. This is an evenly matched tournament now.
If I had to my money down I back Nigeria but it's wide open - even random teams like Angola looked surprisingly good

Dwight Corke

Cabo Verde, spearheaded by our most bizarre signing, is the team to watch. Their clash with Mzansi will be a thriller.

Mali and Angola are very dangerous. I'm hoping for a maiden champion; half the teams remaining have never won the title and have decent shout.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The quarter finals lowdown ...

Afcon 2023: Can Nigeria and Ivory Coast avoid more shocks in quarter-finals?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/68153973

Upsets and unpredictability have been the story of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, with none of the quarter-finalists from the 2021 edition of the tournament reaching the last eight in Ivory Coast.

Defending champions Senegal, the continent's top-ranked side Morocco and record seven-time winners Egypt all fell by the wayside in the last 16 against the odds.

Just four countries who have lifted the trophy remain and Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea and Mali are still dreaming of becoming continental champions for the first time.

Three-time winners Nigeria are now the favourites on paper as the highest-ranked country left, at 42nd in the world, but the Super Eagles will be wary of the growing expectation on them as the West Africans seek a first Afcon triumph since 2013....

The Original

The quarter finals lowdown ...

Afcon 2023: Can Nigeria and Ivory Coast avoid more shocks in quarter-finals?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/68153973

Upsets and unpredictability have been the story of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, with none of the quarter-finalists from the 2021 edition of the tournament reaching the last eight in Ivory Coast.

Defending champions Senegal, the continent's top-ranked side Morocco and record seven-time winners Egypt all fell by the wayside in the last 16 against the odds.

Just four countries who have lifted the trophy remain and Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea and Mali are still dreaming of becoming continental champions for the first time.

Three-time winners Nigeria are now the favourites on paper as the highest-ranked country left, at 42nd in the world, but the Super Eagles will be wary of the growing expectation on them as the West Africans seek a first Afcon triumph since 2013....
I expect fewer shocks, if any at all, from here on. So I'd expect South Africa, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, and DR Congo to prevail.

My money is on Nigeria to win it. Most likely against Cote d'Ivoire in the final. I saw somewhere that Nigeria created the most clear-cut chances (13) across the group stage. Only one goal conceded so far and that was on opening day.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The worse thing that can happen is that Peseiro stays on after a trophy win. He should be thanked for... whatever he has been doing, and should be moved on. Get someone more serious in for the WC qualifiers