Afghanistan

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I suspect once the drug money flows in, they'll splinter and fight each other. That'll probably give others a chance too.
The opium production is with the Talibans consent. I think the Afghani's are so fed up of war that I don't see it.

Foxbatt

Not really sure they had a lot mot than in most western countries. The US yeah. apart from that not sure.
In the UK Thatcher had ten years and May one term. Bangladesh had two female PMs for ever. Sheikh Haseena is the longest serving PM. The two Bangladeshi PMs have served as PMs that's more than most female heads of governments combined.
Pakistan had a female PM. Indonesia had a female President. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No surprise this is barely getting any traction on the main stream media who will continue to suck up to Biden.

Democrat or republican, all American politicians (bar Bernie) are serial scumbags, hypocrits and cnuts. No better than any other of these regimes around the world.

Boycott

No surprise this is barely getting any traction on the main stream media who will continue to suck up to Biden.

Democrat or republican, all American politicians (bar Bernie) are serial scumbags, hypocrits and cnuts. No better than any other of these regimes around the world.
I never get these kind of comments. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. See it all the time when people comment about a report on the BBC that the "mainstream media" won't talk about it .... even though you only know it because it is quite literally the mainstream media who have reported on this.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I never get these kind of comments. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. See it all the time when people comment about a report on the BBC that the "mainstream media" won't talk about it .... even though you only know it because it is quite literally the mainstream media who have reported on this.
I'm talking about US media like CNN, MSNBC etc. I've only seen it in the guardian and NYT (which you can say is mainstream but it's as partisan as the TV media).

Very little criticism against Biden for this as well, which is my point.

Boycott

I'm talking about US media like CNN, MSNBC etc. I've only seen it in the guardian and NYT (which you can say is mainstream but it's as partisan as the TV media).

I just looked at both sites and it is clearly been reported and on the MSNBC website it is the top video story. Maybe you're not looking hard enough? I've also seen it condemned rightfully when the NYT broke the story yesterday by people in the mainstream media. If you read the NYT article they actually sought out comment from a 9/11 victim's family saying it was absolutely wrong to do this, so how is that defending the move.

I don't mean to call you out personally but it's such a lazy yet frequent take people have to say the mainstream media isn't covering a story when you are literally reacting to something published in the mainstream media. Right-wingers do this all the time and there is an industry of commentators who make a lot of money in alternative media acting like they are truth-tellers when they do no original reporting.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Probably because its not a big issue in the US, and certainly not worth the faux outrage it may receive in other circles. A vast majority of the money that has been pumped into Afghanistan over the past 20 years has come from US tax payers (we're talking hundreds of billions here), so there will be little interest in giving money that originally emanated from the US back to the Taliban because the reason it was originally pumped into the country was to rehabilitate the country from the Taliban (even though this version is apparently not as medieval as the late 90s version).

There's also a widely held perception in the US that the Taliban, by welcoming and enabling Bin Ladin and some of the eventual 9/11 hijackers, do share some responsibility in allowing Afghanistan to be used to plot the 9/11 attacks. If the modern Taliban are upset that they don't have access to US money, they should've probably considered the consequences of reinvading and booting the old government out and pursued some sort of gradual power sharing arrangement where their behavior could be monitored. The families of the victims of 9/11 have been pushing for some of the money to be retained for the surviving families. They also want Saudi Arabia to be held more responsible, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon because of regional geopolitics.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Saying something is "faux outrage" is very condescending. I'm sure some are using it just as a stick to beat Biden with, but it's simply incorrect to portray that as the only motivation out there. There are genuine concerns about this move.

the reason it was originally pumped into the country was to rehabilitate the country from the Taliban
I mean, yeah, and also an extremely destabilizing invasion by the United States.

Whatever blame the Taliban has, or what they deserve or do not deserve, the fact is that this is going to severely impact ordinary Afghans. If it's faux outrage to be upset about a coming (or ongoing) disaster, then I don't know what warrants actual outrage.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Saying something is "faux outrage" is very condescending. I'm sure some are using it just as a stick to beat Biden with, but it's simply incorrect to portray that as the only motivation out there. There are genuine concerns about this move.

I mean, yeah, and also an extremely destabilizing invasion by the United States.

Whatever blame the Taliban has, or what they deserve or do not deserve, the fact is that this is going to severely impact ordinary Afghans. If it's faux outrage to be upset about a coming (or ongoing) disaster, then I don't know what warrants actual outrage.
Its still US money that was originally paid for by US tax payers. The outrage is predictably fake based on anti-US sentiment from posters who are obviously uneducated about the nuances of why it was done and are just reflexively puking up the usual nonsense to appear vaguely relevant in this thread. Of course none of this would be an issue had the Taliban not invaded and allowed the existing democratic reforms to continue to help Afghans.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Captain America strikes again.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Its still US money that was originally paid for by US tax payers. The outrage is predictably fake based on anti-US sentiment from posters who are obviously uneducated about the nuances of why it was done and are just reflexively puking up the usual nonsense to appear vaguely relevant in this thread.
As opposed to you constantly puking American propaganda and usual nonsense in the CE forum.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As opposed to you constantly puking American propaganda and usual nonsense in the CE forum.
Its not propaganda if its supported by factual arguments. I happen to have been there and was involved with delivering aid to Afghans and don't require the situation to be reframed for me by keyboard warriors who have little to no knowledge of Afghanistan, but still want to appear as though they know what they're talking about.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Its not propaganda if its supported by factual arguments. I happen to have been there and was involved with delivering aid to Afghans and don't require the situation to be reframed for me by keyboard warriors who have little to no knowledge of Afghanistan, but still want to appear as though they know what they're talking about.
It does the opposite actually. The fact that you worked for the US out there clearly undermines your impartiality on this issue and makes you far more likely to buy into the propaganda.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Captain America tries to strike again, misses and say he wasn’t aiming for the other thing in the first place.
Captain America believes his gov went out there to rebuild a nation when all they did wish destroy it and cause death and immense misery to those people. They deserve every dollar that the US put into there as their compensation.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It does the opposite actually. The fact that you worked for the US out there clearly undermines your impartiality on this issue and makes you far more likely to buy into the propaganda.
So having years of experience working on a subject is now a liability when compared to someone with no background is it. I think we’ve finally reached peak COVID anxiety.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Captain America believes his gov went out there to rebuild a nation when all they did wish destroy it and cause death and immense misery to those people. They deserve every dollar that the US put into there as their compensation.
Clearly this is not propaganda. :)

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
So having years of experience working on a subject is now a liability when compared to someone with no background is it. I think we’ve finally reached peak COVID anxiety.
Not a liability but you clearly are not impartial on this issue.

Abizzz

Wait, the Taliban overran the country forcefully and people expect the US to pay them the money that was owed to the overrun government?

I can't be the only one seeing some problems with that? I feel for the Afghanistan civilian population as much as anybody else, but do people really think more money in the talibans hands results in better lives for the decent Afghans?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Captain America tries to strike again, misses and say he wasn’t aiming for the other thing in the first place.
Captain America strikes, says he's killed a terrorist. Turned out he killed a bunch of kids, says it's the parents fault.

I suppose we should ask Russians working in the government their opinion on Ukraine and take their word for it right?

MarylandMUFan

Wait, the Taliban overran the country forcefully and people expect the US to pay them the money that was owed to the overrun government?

I can't be the only one seeing some problems with that? I feel for the Afghanistan civilian population as much as anybody else, but do people really think more money in the talibans hands results in better lives for the decent Afghans?
I agree. Not sure how dumping loads of money on the Taliban of all groups is a good thing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

You’re not the only one.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

MSM isn’t really suckling at the Biden teat in the terms you are framing.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
MSM isn’t really suckling at the Biden teat in the terms you are framing.
I checked this morning on YouTube and couldn't find any analysis videos on this other than a TYT video. Maybe that has changed till now.

To those asking if the money should be given to the Taliban, shouldn't the money be left to where it is as it is due for the Afghanis, and then been be provided when the Taliban are out of power (if and when it does happen)? Isn't that the point of "freezing" the money? And as per the guardian there is also personal Afghani money in that as well.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I checked this morning on YouTube and couldn't find any analysis videos on this other than a TYT video. Maybe that has changed till now.

To those asking if the money should be given to the Taliban, shouldn't the money be left to where it is as it is due for the Afghanis, and then been be provided when the Taliban are out of power (if and when it does happen)? Isn't that the point of "freezing" the money? And as per the guardian there is also personal Afghani money in that as well.
You consider YT mainstream media? If so, it is decidedly right wing.

Don’t see the Taliban leaving anytime soon. I’m fine if the some of the money is redirected to humanitarian endeavors. I also am fine with some money going to 9/11 survivors, but wouldn’t be arsed if none went to them.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I feel for the Afghanistan civilian population as much as anybody else, but do people really think more money in the talibans hands results in better lives for the decent Afghans?
Probably yes. The taliban are at the top of the list of horrible groups, but surely they have an interest in preventing their population from starving. Even if just to get some popular support, objectively the lives of many afghans would be better.

It's a tough one though.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Khrushchev's one mistake was not ending it all over Cuba. Would have prevented me from being born and seeing these takes about Team America World Genocide Police.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I knew about it about 3 months ago from twitter accounts. People were asking Biden and there was an attempted bill in Congress which was voted down ~2 weeks ago. I open the Guardian homepage everyday. I'm not sure it made the front page before this week.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
You consider YT mainstream media? If so, it is decidedly right wing.

Don’t see the Taliban leaving anytime soon. I’m fine if the some of the money is redirected to humanitarian endeavors. I also am fine with some money going to 9/11 survivors, but wouldn’t be arsed if none went to them.
Both news organizations have videos on other topics though, there were videos of a few seconds on Bloomberg's channel though.

Now I can see there are videos about it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
but do people really think more money in the talibans hands results in better lives for the decent Afghans?
probably

https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/12/1107132
Following his recent return from Kabul, Mr. Baloch said in Geneva that a lack of insulated shelters, warm clothes, insufficient food, fuel for heating, and medical supplies are just some of the deprivations confronting people who have been forcibly displaced.
With temperatures “expected to drop to -25C, many displaced families lack proper shelter – a primary requirement if they are to survive the bitter cold”, he warned.
UNHCR is appealing for increased support for 3.5 million people displaced by conflict inside Afghanistan, including 700,000 from 2021 alone.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/afghanistan-starvation-un-warning-humanitarian-crisis-rcna13804

23 million people — more than half of Afghanistan’s population — who are in dire need of assistance, according to the United Nations.

“We have a drought, we are in winter,” said Mort. The problem is vast — not only is the country dealing with a long-running drought, and a usually frigid winter, 23 million are going hungry, there have been outbreaks of measles, dengue fever and acute watery diarrhea, she said.

Abizzz

probably

https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/12/1107132
Following his recent return from Kabul, Mr. Baloch said in Geneva that a lack of insulated shelters, warm clothes, insufficient food, fuel for heating, and medical supplies are just some of the deprivations confronting people who have been forcibly displaced.
With temperatures “expected to drop to -25C, many displaced families lack proper shelter – a primary requirement if they are to survive the bitter cold”, he warned.
UNHCR is appealing for increased support for 3.5 million people displaced by conflict inside Afghanistan, including 700,000 from 2021 alone.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/afghanistan-starvation-un-warning-humanitarian-crisis-rcna13804

23 million people — more than half of Afghanistan’s population — who are in dire need of assistance, according to the United Nations.

“We have a drought, we are in winter,” said Mort. The problem is vast — not only is the country dealing with a long-running drought, and a usually frigid winter, 23 million are going hungry, there have been outbreaks of measles, dengue fever and acute watery diarrhea, she said.
So you believe money given to the taliban will be used to address those issues?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So you believe money given to the taliban will be used to address those issues?
I believe Afghan money in the accounts of the national bank of Afghanistan should be unfrozen and would possibly allow these issues to be addressed. I also believe that the loot of 3rd world money which has been going on for hundreds of years is wrong, it is not the coloniser's money to take.