African teams in Qatar

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Fantastic to see an African side go far in the tournament. Hope they get through the next game, I think they will.

Stocar

Greece 2004 and this Morocco side are vastly different in their game play.
How? Same counter attacking, reactive football, with deep sitting defence. Great motivation and team spirit too.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
When did western Sahara ever play?
So because of this post I just learned there is a thing called CONIFA for non-FIFA affiliated teams, where Western Sahara gets to take on the likes of Darfur, Tibet, Kurdistan, and Macau.

Kopral Jono

Morocco shows more ambition in possession compared to that Greece team that were completely reactive/cynical.
Agree, feck Greece that year. That was the only major tournament thus far in my decades watching football where a thoroughly undeserving side went all the way.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Morocco to the semi finals would be epic.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Was thinking of which African team in recent times would be best example.

Perhaps Ivory Coast in 2006 or 2010? Drogba, Yaya Toure, Kolo, Kalou etc. However they were placed in groups with Argentina, Holland, Portugal and Brazil in respective tournaments and finished 3rd in both which was just bad luck. By 2014 they were past their best collectively.

I also really like Nigeria in the mid 90s. Taribo West, Babayaro, Sunday Oleish, Jay-Jay Okocha, Yakubu and Kanu was a strong spine and they won the Olympics in 96 and beat Spain in first game of World cup 98 which got everyone excited but that was the end point and they've largely underwhelmed since then.

Cameroon with Mbomba and Eto'o upfront and likes of Geremi and Marc-Viven Foe in midfield were also a powerhouse in late 90s/early 2000s but again faded to just being happy to qualify now.

South Africa also had good talent playing in europe in the 1990s.

At least a few more of them are giving local coaches a chance instead of just parachuting in a big name foreign coach months before a World cup. Cisse been Senegal manager since 2015, Song's been Cameroon manager for a few years and I presume Morocco will give their coach an extension whatever the reason tomorrow. If Ghana are smart they'll keep Addo on as think with their pool of talent they should be more of a force in 2026.
He's returned to his coaching position at Dortmund. Chris Hughton probably favourite for the job now. Ghana has probably crop of players at it's disposal since 2010. We have enough talent to complete against anyone on world stage but we've always been bottlers. Both of this was clear to see at the World Cup.

Hughtons strengths have always been being setting up teams for results and that is pretty much Ghana's biggest weakness so could be a good marriage - We have enough individual attacking talent to counter his defensive approach.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Was thinking of which African team in recent times would be best example.

Perhaps Ivory Coast in 2006 or 2010? Drogba, Yaya Toure, Kolo, Kalou etc. However they were placed in groups with Argentina, Holland, Portugal and Brazil in respective tournaments and finished 3rd in both which was just bad luck. By 2014 they were past their best collectively.

I also really like Nigeria in the mid 90s. Taribo West, Babayaro, Sunday Oleish, Jay-Jay Okocha, Yakubu and Kanu was a strong spine and they won the Olympics in 96 and beat Spain in first game of World cup 98 which got everyone excited but that was the end point and they've largely underwhelmed since then.

Cameroon with Mbomba and Eto'o upfront and likes of Geremi and Marc-Viven Foe in midfield were also a powerhouse in late 90s/early 2000s but again faded to just being happy to qualify now.

South Africa also had good talent playing in europe in the 1990s.

At least a few more of them are giving local coaches a chance instead of just parachuting in a big name foreign coach months before a World cup. Cisse been Senegal manager since 2015, Song's been Cameroon manager for a few years and I presume Morocco will give their coach an extension whatever the reason tomorrow. If Ghana are smart they'll keep Addo on as think with their pool of talent they should be more of a force in 2026.
I've always lamented how both Ghana and Ivory Coast when at their peaks were always drawn in group of deaths at the World Cup but were competitive throughout. While the weaker African teams got easier groups and pissed them away. Ghana's opponents in group stage have been 2006: Italy, Czech Rep, USA; 2010: Germany, Serbia, Australia; 2014: Germany, Portugal, USA; 2022: Portugal, Uruguay, South Korea.
Fact that they got out 2 out them 4 groups and were a 1pt away from making it 3/4 is impressive itself.

MDFC Manager

Think a Ronaldo less Portugal will be too much for Morocco, who'll be pretty exhausted too

Elcabron

They lost the final qualifier against Ghana.

All they needed was a home win in the 2 leg playoff and they would have qualified.
Thanks. I'm glad that at least Morocco are still left in it. I'd love to see an African team win it.

KeanoMagicHat

Morocco played the right way to beat that tedious Spanish system. But they need something different for the game against Portugal. I'd like to see more from their attackers. Boufal was great, but En-Nesyri barely figured and the sub was a bit of a donkey. They surely can't hold out Portugal for 120 minutes.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Morocco played the right way to beat that tedious Spanish system. But they need something different for the game against Portugal. I'd like to see more from their attackers. Boufal was great, but En-Nesyri barely figured and the sub was a bit of a donkey. They surely can't hold out Portugal for 120 minutes.
They'll lose if they play like they did against Spain. It would have worked if Ronaldo was a starter but after tonight, it's out of question. I think that the moroccan manager is now aware of that.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Morocco cannot start number 21 player.. Is he related to that Belgium donkey ? both of them can't score even if their life depended on it.
Cheddira is not a starter (has never scored an international goal) but as I said since page 1 of this thread Morocco are severely lacking upfront with not much on the bench

The biggest worry for Morocco is that both their CBs got injured, if they are not available for Portugal then they don't have much chance

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
World Cup 2022: Could Morocco win for Africa?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-63885646

our series of letters from African journalists, Maher Mezahi looks at Africa's chances of winning the football World Cup, finally fulfilling Pele's prediction.

The world's biggest party took place at Education City stadium in Doha on Tuesday night when Morocco upset Spain in the 2022 Fifa World Cup round of 16.

The vast majority of the 44,000-strong crowd was overwhelmed by emotion after Morocco defender Achraf Hakimi sealed victory with a cheeky panenka penalty kick.

Moroccans poured out into the streets of Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakesh, and practically every capital city in Western Europe to celebrate.

Even King Mohamed VI joined the jubilant crowds.

After the team danced, hugged and cried in the dressing room, coach Walid Regragui made an extremely important declaration in his post-match press conference.

"At some point in Africa, we have to be ambitious and why not win the World Cup, even if it's going to be hard," he said.

The declaration was a sign of a paradigm shift in how African nations approach the World Cup, and it is fitting that it came from Regragui, who represents a paradigm-shift in African coaching.

Not only did he cut his teeth on the continent, spending his formative years coaching domestic football in Morocco, he is also part of the inaugural Caf Pro Licence class of 2018 - the very first group of coaches who secured football's highest coaching diploma entirely on the continent.

He represents everything that is right in African football: He's young, competent, cosmopolitan, fearless and a pan-Africanist at heart.

Morocco's head coach Walid Regragui has been a huge inspiration to his team

Senegal's Aliou Cissé, Algeria's Djamel Belmadi, Tunisia's Radhi Jaidi and South Africa's Benni McCarthy are other examples of the new African coaching prototype.

It is no coincidence that the 2022 World Cup was the first time all five African nations had African coaches to lead them.

But is Regragui right? Should Africa be asking itself if it can win a World Cup?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-63885646

MDFC Manager

Morocco cannot start number 21 player.. Is he related to that Belgium donkey ? both of them can't score even if their life depended on it.
They didn't start him but now he's ensured they can't play him at all next game :lol: