Aguero - not long at City?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not really. Kane suits pep and city far more than haaland. Its not peps job to worry that haaland will be playing in 8 years time when he's not even manager.
Maybe they’ll get both. I can see them wanting Haaland, if only to stop anyone else having him.

Pep's Suit

Anyway, this was expected. Aguero became a regular for Atleti when he was only 18-19 so no surprise he looks like a 35-36 years old now. Amazing, wonderful player but it's the right time to say goodbye. Would love to see him in Italy for a year or two but maybe he should rather return to Argentina or try MLS.

He's their greatest ever player and undoubtedly deserving of a statue. They've been totally irrelevant their entire existence until he came along, save for about a week in the 1960s. He's been the figurehead of the team that put them on the map and the first player they ever had that has been the undisputed best in the league at what he does. For me, he's the best outright striker the Premier League has seen. I will be glad and sad to see him go.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Kane is under contract until 2024 and would cost an extraordinary amount of money (not just the transfer fee). He's had his injury issues but most importantly you don't splash out this amount of cash on 28-year olds. Most clubs, and City are certainly very well run in this regard, understand this by now. I said the same thing about Partey and Ziyech last summer. You give these players five-year deals on big money which makes moving them on very difficult in the final years of their contracts. Now to be fair Kane is at a different level than those two mentioned and money is certainly not as big of an issue at City (but again, if you look at their signings under current leadership, you'll see they certainly buy smart and not just 'by name') but with the amount of football Kane has played over the last few years and the injuries he's had, I'd have some serious doubts if you can get five years out of him in which he performs at a world class level. I'm happy to eat my words but I don't think City are seriously considering him.
Kane is 27
He has years at the top level left
Hes more complete than haaland
His play style suits City far more
His attitude suits pep far more

The only argument for haaland is age
But once again why would pep care that haaland will be there in 7 8 years when pep won't be
Pep is manager now.

red4ever 79

Kane is 27

But once again why would pep care that haaland will be there in 7 8 years when pep won't be
Pep is manager now.
Not true at all. Kane has also picked up injuries the past two seasons.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Kane is 27

Pep is manager now.
Surely that's why coaches today should never have the final say when it comes to transfers? A DOF would be more inclined to look at things holistically

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Surely that's why coaches today should never have the final say when it comes to transfers? A DOF would be more inclined to look at things holistically
Isn't this the same dof they have that laid out the groundwork for pep before he even got there.

Pagh Wraith

Kane is 27

Pep is manager now.
And I'm telling you this is not how City operate. Look at all the players they bought over the last seasons and you'll find almost no players above the age of 25. Mahrez and Walker are the two high-profile exceptions at 27 and they were a lot cheaper than Kane would be. Who will be 28 when the new season starts. Also Guardiola doesn't just decides these things by himself. Soriano and Begiristain are in charge of transfers.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
And I'm telling you this is not how City operate. Look at all the players they bought over the last seasons and you'll find almost no players above the age of 25. Mahrez and Walker are the two high-profile exceptions at 27 and they were a lot cheaper than Kane would be. Who will be 28 when the new season starts. Also Guardiola doesn't just decides these things by himself. Soriano and Begiristain are in charge of transfers.
I guarantee you if the board didn't reneg on the deal that messi said they had man City would have offered a 33 year old Messi a shitload of money last year.

padzilla

Hipster
Remember the summer we bought Phil Jones and City got Aguero, I can see us buying Declan Rice while they get Haaland or Kane.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
City would be mental to spend the big money needed to sign Kane. His injury record can't be ignored.

Their 'false 9' type system would suit Joao Felix down to the ground and he looks like he could become one of the best around in a set up like theirs. Completely wasted at Atletico.

SwedishFish

Sensational in his prime, unfortunately for him, his last few years have been riddled by injuries and you feel that Pep didn't really trust him to come back into the side properly.

Still has a great goalscoring record and would do well at a team like Barcelona for example. Think its still too early for him to go back to Argentina.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yup. He was a really explosive dribbler when he was just 'Kun'. I was a bit surprised how that mostly went away from his game. But his efficiency in the final third was obviously brilliant.
Would love to see a comp of his goals at City. Always felt like he was an absolute cheat code on his right in the near post position. Only player I’ve seen similar is Greenwood last year on the other side on his left!

GlasgowCeltic

Incredible player but I never felt we were witnessing true greatness like I felt watching Henry and Suarez, think he should've left for Spain at some point. Always felt he was just slightly short of the player I thought he'd be at Atletico

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Incredible player but I never felt we were witnessing true greatness like I felt watching Henry and Suarez, think he should've left for Spain at some point. Always felt he was just slightly short of the player I thought he'd be at Atletico
I kind of get what you mean - I think the injuries played their part, but I do think he was just a consistently very good player, rather than ever hitting elite. Feels a bit of an airy thing to say, but still. For instance, he never hit a 40+ goal season in all comps during his peak. His PL numbers were very strong, obviously, but again, just consistently very good rather than holy-moly-elite stuff.

Aguero's PL goals per season: 23; 12; 17; 26; 24; 20; 21; 21; 16.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I like this kind of thread necroing. First, it's on topic, because like the original post it deals with the player's tenure at the club, and second, it's fun to revisit predictions/speculations about player careers and club performances a decade later.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I like this kind of thread necroing. First, it's on topic, because like the original post it deals with the player's tenure at the club, and second, it's fun to revisit predictions/speculations about player careers and club performances a decade later.
Necroing?

Sara125

One of my favourite rival players to watch. Feelings about City aside, he will be a great miss to the PL.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Would love to see a comp of his goals at City. Always felt like he was an absolute cheat code on his right in the near post position. Only player I’ve seen similar is Greenwood last year on the other side on his left!
If I am not mistaken City YT channel has his 200 goals compilation. I watched it 1-2 years ago. Worth a view.
3rd best EPL striker ever for me.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very very good goal scorer. Ruud like. Wish he ended up on the red side of town. He & Rooney would’ve been a joke together from 11-14.

garnier

Supports
Manchester City
Up there alongside RVN, and maybe Robbie Fowler, as the ultimate finisher. Shearer the greatest goalscorer, Henry the best forward, Aguero (and RVN) the best finisher.

UpWithRivers

Imagine us doing the sensible thing and not extending his contract? Meanwhile, we'll be giving Lingard and Dalot new deals.
Exactly. City run a club properly. They dont even have a striker and they get rid of one of their greatest strikers because they know its time to part ways. If it was us we would give him three years, guarantee him first team football and increase his wages 50 percent. It wouldn't even be surprising if we do exactly that to replace Cavani and a lot of fans will think we have done City over again.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
City would be mental to spend the big money needed to sign Kane. His injury record can't be ignored.

Their 'false 9' type system would suit Joao Felix down to the ground and he looks like he could become one of the best around in a set up like theirs. Completely wasted at Atletico.
Bingo. The only player City should be after this summer is Joao Felix. Haaland or Kane are not needed for the current City system and style of play. Felix on the other hand is a unique talent with a lot of Messi-like qualities who is wasting his time at Atletico. Who else than Guardiola himself can unleash his full potential?!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Unpopular opinion time....

Ridiculous centre forward and definitely in the conversation for the ‘Best’ Centre forward in the PL era, just in terms of talent

But only averaging 27 games a season and 18 goals a season isn’t that special.

He’s unquestionably brilliant. But I wouldn’t put him above Ruud, Henry, Shearer, Kane. It’s unfair to mark him down for durability because his goal return per game is exceptional. But staying fit is part of football.

Agueros average league goals per season aren’t really special. Hasselbaink averaged the same in his Leeds-Chelsea spell, many others have too. for fewer seasons.

The media clamour that suggests we’ll never see the like of him again and that he’s a true Premier League legend City cannot hope to replace... they’ve replaced him for 30% of league games since he signed.

Obviously I would have loved him at United. I’d have celebrated that goals per game ratio. I’m being a little mean-spirited. But there’s a lot of over the top reporting at the minute.

pocco

loco
Bingo. The only player City should be after this summer is Joao Felix. Haaland or Kane are not needed for the current City system and style of play. Felix on the other hand is a unique talent with a lot of Messi-like qualities who is wasting his time at Atletico. Who else than Guardiola himself can unleash his full potential?!
I'm only guessing here based on a story recently that said he's city's top target, but I think this talk of Haaland and especially Kane is to throw people off the scent of Felix. Just a hunch, but it feels un-Pep like to go for a powerful type CF that's more of a poacher. They've been linked with Kane, Haaland and Lukaku and I just don't believe that's their true intentions for this team.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I'm only guessing here based on a story recently that said he's city's top target, but I think this talk of Haaland and especially Kane is to throw people off the scent of Felix. Just a hunch, but it feels un-Pep like to go for a powerful type CF that's more of a poacher. They've been linked with Kane, Haaland and Lukaku and I just don't believe that's their true intentions for this team.
Felix signed a 7 yr contract and has a 300m release clause. Spanish press stated that there was interest last summer from City, but A.Madrid pointed towards his release clause. I don't think there trying to throw anyone off as no one will pay that for him unlike Neymar he doesn't even bring that big of a marketing factor either.

pocco

loco
Felix signed a 7 yr contract and has a 300m release clause. Spanish press stated that there was interest last summer from City, but A.Madrid pointed towards his release clause. I don't think there trying to throw anyone off as no one will pay that for him unlike Neymar he doesn't even bring that big of a marketing factor either.
He'll go for less than the £300m eventually. This summer or next I think. I can't see him sticking around at Atletico too much longer.

Giggsy13

I think you’ll be gravely disappointed if you don’t think city are seriously interested in Kane or Haaland. You really think they give a feck about planting and sending messages in the media like needle dick Ed does thru Ashton? They’re no nonsense in the transfer market. They identify a target and they get them without much fuss or purposely used media plants like the pricks running our club do.

Kane is also more than a poacher and has more of an all round game, which Im certain pep would happily incorporate into his squad. Im not sold on Lukaku to city but Haaland or Kane may happen this summer. Should also add that Pep did just fine with Lewa at Bayern who is more of a traditional striker.

Pep's Suit

Felix is impossible, I think. Last summer City asked for Gimenez and Atleti replied £90m. How much they'd want for Felix? Probably somewhere between £110-130m and he's worth maybe half right now.

Also City deffo want a no. 9 this summer.