g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ahmaud Arbery Murder Trial / all three defendants found guilty of murder & hate crimes

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You weakling western who sometimes took their own lifes under some stupid notiong oh the fame got to him... tough lucky... poor hollywood victim... it actually takes guts to ends ones life. Many people faced torture and suffering far greater than death itself only to find death at the end of the rainbow where it's simply easier to hang yourself.
Can you clarify what you're saying here?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Saying anyone who succumbs to suicide is going to hell, while suggesting that people who die by suicide are "weakling western who sometimes took their own lifes under some stupid notiong oh the fame got to him... tough lucky... poor hollywood victim" is very much projecting your ill informed opinions on to people when you have no idea of their personal circumstances, you have no idea what those people were dealing with in their lives.

You call yourself a Christian? I'd say you're a pretty shit one based on the definition of what a Christian considers core to being a Christian.
Action and reaction, if you guys can be a little restraint in mocking one's belief, maybe this won't have to go there.

And again, it wasn't me who underestimate the concept of suicides, you lots are the one making it as a punchline and jokes. Regardless of what your religions view (if you have any) on suicide it wasnt me who started

Anyway, not gonna derail the tread any longer. So I'll just be off. And I'll respect if people don't mock about Christianity. It's one of the major tenets, it's not like I'm saying all wankers going to hell. Suicide is a pretty serious stuff don't you think? I Find people not ending it easily in the face of torment (life sentences, captured by enemies, poverty, murderous cancers etc) amusing, maybe for another thread.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Although I'm inclined to believe that this is one of the finest recorded examples of systemic racism ever produced, I'll argue the cop's side here.

I haven't seen the initial interaction. Was she the first officer(s) on scene?

Does she know them? The father was ex law enforcement. A prior relationship might influence the approach.

She could be gathering information from a chatty suspect and it is desirable to stay friendly at that moment.

But it's the south and probably racist, I guess. I am more disgusted by the shooter's statements, which don't seem to align to all the video we saw.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have a feeling that posters thought that you were joking and/or not sure if you were serious rather than trying to offend.
I was seriously positioning myself in life sentences situations, where i even think I'd take being a trophy boys compared to solitary confinement, which i think is a very scarry prospect, and even then I'd still not sure i have what it takes to end my life. So yeah, it's not something I've said in a joking manner i think.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Action and reaction, if you guys can be a little restraint in mocking one's belief, maybe this won't have to go there.

And again, it wasn't me who underestimate the concept of suicides, you lots are the one making it as a punchline and jokes. Regardless of what your religions view (if you have any) on suicide it wasnt me who started

Anyway, not gonna derail the tread any longer. So I'll just be off. And I'll respect if people don't mock about Christianity. It's one of the major tenets, it's not like I'm saying all wankers going to hell. Suicide is a pretty serious stuff don't you think? I Find people not ending it easily in the face of torment (life sentences, captured by enemies, poverty, murderous cancers etc) amusing, maybe for another thread.
I'm a practising Christian myself. Im not sure what you mean abt respecting Christianity and have to say most of your posts on this board are an antithesis to Christianity

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was seriously positioning myself in life sentences situations, where i even think I'd take being a trophy boys compared to solitary confinement, which i think is a very scarry prospect, and even then I'd still not sure i have what it takes to end my life. So yeah, it's not something I've said in a joking manner i think.
I think many people forget that others believe there is such a thing as heaven and hell.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
All life sentences, two with no possibility of parole, one with possibility.

Halftrack

Well deserved

@Penna it is my believe though as a Christian myself. It was not meant as a punchline or a joke
So by taking the piss out of the view that people who commit suicide, they weren't actually mocking Christianity, they were mocking a belief held by you, who just also happen to be a Christian (never mind that no one appeared to be mocking it.)

That's a bit like me saying something daft, and then when I get criticised for it I accuse people of bigotry against Norwegians.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So by taking the piss out of the view that people who commit suicide, they weren't actually mocking Christianity, they were mocking a belief held by you, who just also happen to be a Christian (never mind that no one appeared to be mocking it.)

That's a bit like me saying something daft, and then when I get criticised for it I accuse people of bigotry against Norwegians.
Sure..if that something daft is believed by millions of people. Call it anything you want.

I'm not (insert religion)phobe. I just think (put religious concept) as daft. Therefore it's okay

Halftrack

Sure..if that something daft is believed by millions of people. Call it anything you want.

I'm not (insert religion)phobe. I just think (put religious concept) as daft. Therefore it's okay
The Catholic Church has itself acknowledged that mental illness plays a major role in suicide, and no longer considers it a mortal sin. By thinking that "suiciders go to hell" is a daft belief, I am actually in agreement with your own religion.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The Catholic Church has itself acknowledged that mental illness plays a major role in suicide, and no longer considers it a mortal sin. By thinking that "suiciders go to hell" is a daft belief, I am actually in agreement with your own religion.
It is a daft view that for too long was happily perpetuated by the church. Thankfully the church has started to modernise some of their wrongly held views

but I digress from the thread

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
All life sentences, two with no possibility of parole, one with possibility.

The sad thing about all this is they must have thought they were going to get away with it. I'm glad the punishment fits the crime and hopefully, it will serve as some type of deterrent if anyone even thinks of committing a similar crime. It's sickening when you think about how much hate they are carrying to even be capable of doing something like this.

Drainy

The sad thing about all this is they must have thought they were going to get away with it. I'm glad the punishment fits the crime and hopefully, it will serve as some type of deterrent if anyone even thinks of committing a similar crime. It's sickening when you think about how much hate they are carrying to even be capable of doing something like this.
Hopefully. And hopefully people learn never to take legal advice from the police.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Allegedly, a Houston County (Georgia) sheriff deputy posted a horrendous comment about Arbery. It's gaining some traction in the Middle Georgia area.

Image will not permit me to share and search is not yielding much. Could be a fake post or could be legit and the deputy took all social media down.

MrMarcello

Already taken down. What was the gist (although I think I probably can guess)?
Verbatim from the post - "That criminal arbery still got the death penalty though."

Also surfaced he had made a post about whomever weeks ago, calling them "thugs" and "time to get rid of them permanently."

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Verbatim from the post - "That criminal arbery still got the death penalty though."

Also surfaced he had made a post about whomever weeks ago, calling them "thugs" and "time to get rid of them permanently."
Yep, about what I expected.

What’s this mensa’s name?

MrMarcello

Confirmed. Jagoff getting fired soon.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news...suGm6vJVvHA7bqSQ_Egvh1ERgUzA_uiuDQY5fmPvkPin4

Houston County deputy faces firing over social media comment on Ahmaud Arbery murder case
A letter to Deputy Paul Urhahn says he is suspended without pay and he will be terminated next Thursday if he doesn't request an appeal

WARNER ROBINS, Ga. — Editor's note: Video in this story is from sentencing in the Ahmaud Arbery murder trial.

A Houston County deputy is facing termination after leaving an offensive comment on a Macon television station’s Facebook post about the Ahmaud Arbery murder case.

13WMAZ obtained a letter issued Monday by Sheriff Cullen Talton to Deputy Paul Urhahn, notifying him that he was suspended without pay pending termination.

Talton says the decision was reached after reviewing the requesting discipline letter and an internal affairs investigation report.

He found Urhahn in violation of the office’s standard operating procedures for conduct:
  • Page 5, 4A – An officer must at all times, on and off duty, conduct him/herself in a manner which does not bring discredit to the department or county
  • Page 5, 4B (2) – Conduct unbecoming an officer shall include that conduct which has a tendency to destroy public respect for employees and confidence in the department.
Urhahn has 10 days from Monday to request an appeal of his termination. Should he not file a request, he will be fired by close of business Thursday, Jan. 20.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What are the implications of that?
Apparently the maximum penalty on a federal hate crime charge is life in prison so presumably not much. It may have a big impact on the third guy, though since he had parole eligibility.

Should also make their life in prison that much more difficult.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Apparently the maximum penalty on a federal hate crime charge is life in prison so presumably not much. It may have a big impact on the third guy, though since he had parole eligibility.

Should also make their life in prison that much more difficult.
Cheers Doc, I’m happy with their lives being made more difficult.

United in sin

Good outcome. Hope the scum wither and rot as the remainder of their pathetic lives are made a literal living hell

Doracle

Glad to see this case appears to have been progressed entirely properly through the courts, eventually.

Why do the murder and hate crimes elements get considered separately? Is it to avoid the murder part being potentially influenced by the hate crimes element?

Carolina Red

Staff
Glad to see this case appears to have been progressed entirely properly through the courts, eventually.

Why do the murder and hate crimes elements get considered separately? Is it to avoid the murder part being potentially influenced by the hate crimes element?
Murder is just generally prosecuted as a state crime, while hate crimes are generally prosecuted federally.

Federal murder trials are dictated by the federal law 18 USC 1111, which basically limits federal murder cases to ones involving the murder of a federal official, a murder to affect a federal court case, murder for hire, murder on a ship, murder when robbing a bank or connected to abuse/exploitation of a child, hitman murders, murder via the mail, and drug trade related murders.

Doracle

Fascinating - can’t be easy to have different courts looking at such similar things but seems to have got the job done here.

Drainy

Does this mean they will go to federal prison rather than state prison?

If I remember correctly they all wanted to plea to get to a federal prison ahead of the murder trial

United in sin

Does this mean they will go to federal prison rather than state prison?

If I remember correctly they all wanted to plea to get to a federal prison ahead of the murder trial
They'll remain in state custody where they truly belong