Television Ahsoka - August 2023

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah the evil padawan with the brown cloak and stained white clothing definitely isn't going to turn into a good person. The twists of this show are a bit too transparent really. She wont do anything too evil to make redeeming her too complicated.
Well, except killing all those peoole in first 5 minutes :lol: .
But yeah, i agree. Shin will come back to light side sooner or later.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It’s crap. If you haven’t watched a children’s program it’s almost unwatchable

Why is an ancient map capable of finding a couple of blokes in present day?

Why did every single one of the new republic crewmen fire their blasters straight at the one bloke’s lightsaber? Their shots were TWD Carl headshots level accuracy at hitting that thin lightsaber blade

caid

Well, except killing all those peoole in first 5 minutes :lol: .
But yeah, i agree. Shin will come back to light side sooner or later.
They dont count, they're basically stormtroopers and i think most of her killing in that scene isn't actually shown on screen. Unlike Ray Stevenson which is somewhat graphic and the character even has a name.
Ray Stevenson's character seemed interesting, looking forward to seeing what they do with him. I'm being harsh really, it has potential, it feels in mandolorian territory which is quite watchable.

Hamnat

Yeah I like what they are doing with Baelen so far. He is brutal, but I don't think they are meant to be Sith evil yet. They mentioned being paid for the breakout. And he showed some sympathy still for the few that can still use Force powers left, which could set up divided loyalties with Thrawn and Morgan

dinostar77

I hope the live action Ahsoka series eventually has a lightsaber battle as good as this (ahsoka v maul with dual of the fates music).

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I really liked the first two episodes. The production was brilliant and it's a fast moving plot. Brilliant acting from everyone.

Baylon Skoll looks to be a very interesting character. Not Sith, not Jedi...just mercenary.
Is it a fast moving plot? We were treated to about 10 mins of Sabine on a speeder to establish she’s supposed to be some sort of badass independent young woman, when they could have done that naturally through plot progression

dinostar77

Is it a fast moving plot? We were treated to about 10 mins of Sabine on a speeder to establish she’s supposed to be some sort of badass independent young woman, when they could have done that naturally through plot progression
It definetely wasnt fast moving. Glacial more like it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They dont count, they're basically stormtroopers and i think most of her killing in that scene isn't actually shown on screen. Unlike Ray Stevenson which is somewhat graphic and the character even has a name.
Ray Stevenson's character seemed interesting, looking forward to seeing what they do with him. I'm being harsh really, it has potential, it feels in mandolorian territory which is quite watchable.
Yeah I like what they are doing with Baelen so far. He is brutal, but I don't think they are meant to be Sith evil yet. They mentioned being paid for the breakout. And he showed some sympathy still for the few that can still use Force powers left, which could set up divided loyalties with Thrawn and Morgan
It is a shame he won't be back, as he gave one of the best performances. Didn't even recognize it was Titus Pullo until I looked up who "Ray" was that they thanked. Speaking of performance, I'm not sure about Ahsoka; she's just too wooden. Dawson definitely looks like Ahsoka, as does the actress for Sabine :drool:, but I'm not sold on the former.

I'd also guess I'll end up placing it in Mando territory regarding quality; a tier above Boba Fett and Kenobi and below Andor which is in a tier above all alone obviously.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Okay for a start. Filoni simply must keep quality control to the end, and it could be somewhat peachy SW show.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Characters are flat, the lightsabers look like toys once again with Disney, and the 'plot' is a rehash of the map quest from the utterly terrible sequel films. Other than that, it's okay.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't think they wanted to show Sabine as a badass. Just an headstrong and independent person with a similar master and a relationship that ended too soon. Kind of a learn/redeem arc, which given the short time was done very well.

You get the escape, finding map, losing map, Thrawn reveal location, shipyard spy hunting in addition to all the intros. I found that paced very well. Plus what, 6 lightsaber duels?

I would mind less if he were moving it but he kept it horizontal in front of him the entire time
That's pretty much SW. The grunts are always bait.

Herman Toothrot

Well, I didn't have high hopes for a spin-off of a cartoon which was itself a spin-off from another cartoon that started out as a spin-off from the very worst of the prequels. The first two episodes were dreadful. Like almost everything other than Andor, it feels like sub-Jedi Knight cut-scene fan fiction.

I hope Rosario Dawson doesn't get cramp from folding her arms, dropping her head to the side and pulling on a knowing grin for the next however many hours this goes on for.

Revan

Assumptionman
Meh, I enjoyed a lot the first two episodes. But then Ahsoka is one of my favorite characters and followed her story since that dreadful movie, the great cartoon TV show, the ok cartoon TV show and then the book (later also done in a antalogy cartoon tv show), and the Mandalorian/Book of Boba Fett.

The character looks much sadder than in The Clone Wars, but then she was sad in Rebels too.

I think the next season of Mandalorian should be Mandalorian/Ahsoka combo.

————————

Kind of annoying for people who did not watch Rebels that there is not much explanation about who are some of the characters (Sabine, Hera, Ezra, Thrawn).

caid

I hope Rosario Dawson doesn't get cramp from folding her arms, dropping her head to the side and pulling on a knowing grin for the next however many hours this goes on for.
Not just me who kind of hates the actress then. Good to know. I feel a bit bad about it, she seems nice but yeah her expressions drive me up the wall for reasons i cant explain.

Herman Toothrot

Not just me who kind of hates the actress then. Good to know. I feel a bit bad about it, she seems nice but yeah her expressions drive me up the wall for reasons i cant explain.
I don't hate her as an actor, not all, she's great. I've just haven't seen anything in this so far. It feels a bit charmless and one note, but there's a long way to go.

decorativeed

After being burned with Book of Boba Fett and (the possibly even worse) Obi Wan Kenobi, but still enjoying Mandalorian, is this worth a watch?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
After being burned with Book of Boba Fett and (the possibly even worse) Obi Wan Kenobi, but still enjoying Mandalorian, is this worth a watch?
Early days, but I'd have it 2nd out of that list so...maybe? It is concerning like others above I'm concerned about the lead actress; I know she's playing an older Ahsoka but she's a bit Stoic for me.

Hamnat

Episode 3 was a bit too short for me. I didnt mind the training sequence length at first until I realized this was the shortest of the 3 episodes so far. Episode needed to be longer or trim that down and get more plot in.

Jacen cameo! Andor character cameo and Purrgils up close were cool though

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Am I giving Ray Stevenson too much credit since he passed away, or is he winning every scene he's in and carrying the show at the moment?

Hamnat

Sabine using Mando armor and weapons in the fight to counter her lack of force ability was what was missing previously. She needs to use weapons and trickery to not make the fights seem silly. She has had Darksaber training with Kanan and then we saw with Ashoka she has had more training but her having straight up battles with a force user should always be a loss.

I wanted Hera to show some ingenuity and tag along for the jump somehow. The grand entrance fell flat a bit. Jacen is clearly going to need to become Ezra's padawan he has more force ability already than Sabine.

dinostar77

End of episode four: fallen jedi.

what the feck? Felt abit flat. Dunno why, i didnt expect that. Just lacked ommpph.

Glad i watched the summary of Rebels cartoon as i sorta understand whats going on.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
End of episode four: fallen jedi.

what the feck? Felt abit flat. Dunno why, i didnt expect that. Just lacked ommpph.

Glad i watched the summary of Rebels cartoon as i sorta understand whats going on.
I think they're just not that great at setting the right amount of tension. Take the dog fight when they arrived at the planet I can't remember the name of. It felt like nothing was on the line. Everything was kinda muted and the actors were all calm.

And then they telegraph everything. "Don't do this" -> character proceeds to do that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s like Season 3 of Mandalorian. A borderline procedural, moving at a slow pace, that doesn’t really do all that much but is consumable.

Which is probably their sweet spot.

dinostar77

I think they're just not that great at setting the right amount of tension. Take the dog fight when they arrived at the planet I can't remember the name of. It felt like nothing was on the line. Everything was kinda muted and the actors were all calm.

And then they telegraph everything. "Don't do this" -> character proceeds to do that.
Agreed, i do wonder if music or lack of the right music is also an issue.

A lightsaber scene from Force Awakens, the orchestra just gives the whole fight so much more gravitas.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

A lightsaber scene from Force Awakens, the orchestra just gives the whole fight so much more gravitas.

It might. I don't remember the dog fight I was talking about having any noticeable music.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Caught up uncharasterically late, had to finish watching Rebels Season 4 before what is essentially Rebels Season 5.

Love the show so far! Episode 4 ending brought up so many memories from Clone Wars. This show rewards all fans who've watched Clone Wars and Rebels, I can understand how it may alienate those viewers who haven't.

Am I giving Ray Stevenson too much credit since he passed away, or is he winning every scene he's in and carrying the show at the moment?
I think he's been great in general. Adds poise with both his acting and his dialogue.

I felt the opposite, really. The ending of Episode 4, for instance was a hint of Imperial March fading into It's Over Now through the credits.

Sabine using Mando armor and weapons in the fight to counter her lack of force ability was what was missing previously. She needs to use weapons and trickery to not make the fights seem silly. She has had Darksaber training with Kanan and then we saw with Ashoka she has had more training but her having straight up battles with a force user should always be a loss.
She beats Gar Saxon in a 1 on 1 darksaber fight as well, and overpowers Kanan when she's tapping into the dark side in Rebels. She shouldn't be an automatic loss against a Sith padawan. Ahsoka, on the other hand, shouldn't be losing to Baylan given that she's kicked peak Maul's ass single handedly and survived Order 66.

I hated Book of Boba Fett, loathed first four episodes of Obi Wan Kenobi, and enjoyed the Mandalorian.

I would say watch the last two season of Star Wars Rebels (animated) before starting Ahsoka if you want to truly enjoy this show. There are so many symbolic scenes from Rebels that have been captured beautifully in the show already, and you'll already be invested in the characters in the show because they're from Rebels.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
That speeder, that highway, the background of Lothal, and her destination are all nostalgic for Rebels fans. Many parts of the show cater specifically to those who've watched Rebels and Clone Wars. It's a niche I am truly enjoying thanks to Filoni, but understand may fall flat for a lot of viewers who had actual lives.

Revan

Assumptionman
She beats Gar Saxon in a 1 on 1 darksaber fight as well, and overpowers Kanan when she's tapping into the dark side in Rebels. She shouldn't be an automatic loss against a Sith padawan. Ahsoka, on the other hand, shouldn't be losing to Baylan given that she's kicked peak Maul's ass single handedly and survived Order 66.
She was winning the fight until she got her hand burned removing the map.

We also do not know how strong Baylan is, but I agree that Ahsoka should win. By this stage, she should be around Kenobi level in ROTS strong.